mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Need recommendations for build.

Hi all. I picked up a 2004 GT iDrive 3.0 for $20. As you can see from the picture it's missing a lot of items. The remaining items on the bike are in good repair i e the crank set, rims, rear cassette, frame, stem. Front and rear suspension may need an upgrade or overhaul (kinda soft)(Marzocchi mx comp for front and fox vanilla rear), I was an avid mountain bike rider in my earlier years and I've been out of the game for a while and I know a lot of things changed as far as components and what not so I'm looking for recommendations that won't break the bank but will get it back up and running nicely. It needs a full component set as well as a braking system. It has the spots for disc/hydrualic brakes and v-brakes. I know when I was riding a lot XTR was top of the line and now when I look on eBay they're listed as vintage and WAY expensive. LOL. This will be a winter project for riding next spring and my budget would be Max of 250 or cheaper. I'll be riding light trails and Road surface.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need recommendations for build.-20180911_141204.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    After owning a bike with hydraulic discs I'll never go back, but I don't see rotor mounts on your hubs. Having to change your wheels will make your adventure cost more than $250 real quick.

For your group set there, you may have to lower your standards a bit from vintage XTR. Assuming you're keeping your cassette and crankset, I'd throw some SRAM X5 stuff on there and you should be able to get it pedaling for cheap. I've become a fan of 1x drivetrains, so another option would be to forgo the FD and swap to a single chainring on that crankset. Not necessarily cheaper, though, and you'd want a new cassette to makeup for the lost gear range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the recommendation. It does have the mounts for front and rear disc brakes. With me being out of the mountain bike scene for soooooo long I'm not sure what's what any more. Lol. Im going to stay the traditional 3 ring setup. Should I stay with the 8 speed cassette or opt for a 9. Also I just seen an XT rear derailleur for $30. The guy switch to SRAM XO and selling the xt. I that a good price?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    given the intended light riding, a new chain.

if it has Vbrakes and they work then use. If you get hydraulic brakes and rotors that will eat up most of your budget.

unless you are knowledgeable on servicing suspension yourself just leave alone and ride it. if air fork then put enough air in. if coil shock,spring could be too light for your weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    from looking at picture again and your budget. if you donít already have fit/contact point components, then focus budget on saddle, pedals, bar, stem, and grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk