mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Mountain Cycle SA - Build up

Hi,
    I have a SA frame that I'm looking to build up. I have the following parts on hand and am looking to build up a bike to do a 200+ mile trail ride next year. I know this isn't the best frame - but it has been my dream bike for quite some time and I got the frame for free.

Marzocchi Roco Air Lite 166x38 - only thing I bought for this frame...
    RD-M786 Rear Derailleur
    FC-M900 Crank
    ST-M900 Shifters/brakes
    Marzocchi double/triple crown fork - don't know where the PN is...
    Mavic 221s w/huge discs.
    Threaded Dean Ti Stem

Any ideas for the best way to build this up? Thinking going 1x10...

Don't want to spend a huge amount of money - but looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Post some pics! I had actually never heard of that bike before a couple weeks ago, GMBN did a short video on an almost all original one.

Tell us a little more about that 200+ mile ride. Will the SA have what you need in terms of racks or bags? I donít think that frame has a lot of mounting points for expedition gear...

1x10 gearing is a little limited if you have a lot of climbing on that ride. Maybe consider 2x10 or at least 1x11 if you want to stick to a 1x drivetrain. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'll take some pictures this weekend.

Ride will be the john wayne trail in washingtong. I'm not worried about racks or bags - another rider is bringing an electric bike. I don't need to pack anything.

I posted on the vintage thread too - same comments about the gearing. I'm maybe going to go 2 gears up front. Was trying to avoid buying 2 shifters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs2rsr View Post
    I'll take some pictures this weekend.

Ride will be the john wayne trail in washingtong. I'm not worried about racks or bags - another rider is bringing an electric bike. I don't need to pack anything.

I posted on the vintage thread too - same comments about the gearing. I'm maybe going to go 2 gears up front. Was trying to avoid buying 2 shifters.
    Nice I Have 2 Mountaincycles You MEAN PEDAL ASSIT Bike

mtbr member
    You have Shimano dual control Brake/shifters (3X8?)? ST-M900,they were rim brakes, not hydraulic as far as I know. I am nearly certain that you need a shimano rapid rise rear derailleur for those shifters?finding parts may be difficult https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-S...kAAOSwIs5a8LFT

mtbr member
    the RD you list is 10 speed......so?

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter58 View Post
    You have Shimano dual control Brake/shifters (3X8?)? ST-M900,they were rim brakes, not hydraulic as far as I know. I am nearly certain that you need a shimano rapid rise rear derailleur for those shifters?finding parts may be difficult https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-S...kAAOSwIs5a8LFT
    Na M900 is original XTR, they topped making them years (1991-1995) before they invented rapid rise (that was M953, 1999), but yeah either way, it's not doing 10sp.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    I stand corrected I glanced at the relic and assumed it was rapid rise. I run Rapid rise on my retro build 26er. But it is for rim brakes right? wow...that is a really unusual drive train. This should work for the new build https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-De...caAjXVEALw_wcB

Sneaker man
    yeah rapid rise came about because of the, we'll in an attempt to have the shifters do the same thing (big button big shift, little button little shift, where as on normal shifters they are the opposite on each shifter), but it never took off. Was sort of a thing for the 5 minutes the dual control shifters where around (with the shifter in the brake lever, not on the pod), but they continued on with that system into discs, but then it dodo'd.
    All the gear and no idea.