Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    VENI VEDI BIKI
    Reputation: skankingbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    804

    Best option for old school 26 fork with disc mounts?

    I have been riding my old Voodoo Hoodoo a lot and my existing fork (a manituo match) is showing its age. Is there anyone that makes an old style straight steerer 9mm 100mm travel fork with disc mounts.



    [--Also, unrelated to the question, but I will add that I forgot how much FUN and how flickable a 26 inch bike is. Yeah, it doesn't maintain momentum like a 29er, and you need to be a bit choosier with your lines.....but it carves, it jumps, and turns on a dime. As a short guy, I think I really prefer the 26 platform]
    Veni Vidi Biki

    I came, I saw, I biked.

  2. #2
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    how old's the Match? They aren't that old are they?
    But anyway, you could try a Manitou MARKHOR, or a Fox 32 performance or Rockshox Reba I think still do.
    All the gear and no idea.

  3. #3
    Hardtail Steel Forever
    Reputation: jestep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,731
    I'd look for a used but good condition Reba or SID on ebay. Also, are you sure your fork is a 100mm, these were typically built with a 63mm fork through around 99 or so. You can typically get away with an 80mm fork but a modern 100mm fork would really mess up the geometry.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    325
    Either used or new-old-stock (NOS) are your best bets. I get most of my stuff for older bikes on ebay, places like BikeWagon or Pro's Closet.

    And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if 20 years from now when 26 is a memory, the bike industry will have the brilliant idea to make a smaller lighter better handling bike with a great new wheel size, that is made possible by improvements to tire rolling tech or something else reasonably ambiguous. And that that size will be...660mm.
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fredcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    59
    Have you looked at the new Rockshox Recon Silver TK? I put one on a '03 Fisher Sugar 3+ (spacers removed to increase travel to 120mm). Not a bad price for a new air coil 32mm tube fork.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Meeners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    76
    Rockshox Sektor

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryguy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post

    [--Also, unrelated to the question, but I will add that I forgot how much FUN and how flickable a 26 inch bike is. Yeah, it doesn't maintain momentum like a 29er, and you need to be a bit choosier with your lines.....but it carves, it jumps, and turns on a dime. As a short guy, I think I really prefer the 26 platform]
    Yep. I got a 3rd overall on a local tight twisty dh segment a few days ago on an old Cannondale Rush.

    Regarding forks...ebay, pinkbike, craigslist, mtbr classifieds? Seems most of the modern stuff that fits your needs is really low end. I put a Fox 32 Float on the Rush that I found for a reasonable price.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    my existing fork (a manituo match) is showing its age. Is there anyone that makes an old style straight steerer 9mm 100mm travel fork with disc mounts.
    Manitou! They have a few models that fit that req, like the M30 ($170) and the Markhor ($220) and both are air. The latter is quite adjustable.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    225
    Bunch of inexpensive Maguras on ebay recently. I love my MD100R.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    20
    Call me crazy but Iím loving my 2009 Marzocchi 22R. Not too bad for a coil fork and has rebound adjustment, 100mm travel. When the cartridge fails, thereís an easy fix to convert to open bath and it will be real sweet. For the ancient bike I have it on, it does a great job on the rather tame local trails. Picked it up for a song on eBay.

    I also notice there are some quality new manufacture 26Ē forks out there. May be an even better route than an antiquated one.

  11. #11
    tire to rim ratio tester
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    I have been riding my old Voodoo Hoodoo a lot and my existing fork (a manituo match) is showing its age. Is there anyone that makes an old style straight steerer 9mm 100mm travel fork with disc mounts.



    [--Also, unrelated to the question, but I will add that I forgot how much FUN and how flickable a 26 inch bike is. Yeah, it doesn't maintain momentum like a 29er, and you need to be a bit choosier with your lines.....but it carves, it jumps, and turns on a dime. As a short guy, I think I really prefer the 26 platform]

    There are still a bunch of them:

    https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...26%22+air+fork

    But they are all 100mm or sometimes 120mm. And BTW I actually want the geometry to change with a 100mm fork (a 27.5), it's arriving from China in a few weeks.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    39
    Going thru the same deal with a Gary Fisher Wahoo from around 2008. Itís the bike I have, and Iím stuck with it for a little while. Currently wearing a RS Dart 1 that Iím relatively sure has took the proverbial dump. I donít know enough about the older forks to know what to buy. What is a decent replacement fork and price I should be looking for on eBay? Thanks in advance.

    FWIW I ride mostly stuff that everyone else has a $3k full suspension bike on. I just tough it out.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fredcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Larry View Post
    Going thru the same deal with a Gary Fisher Wahoo from around 2008. Itís the bike I have, and Iím stuck with it for a little while. Currently wearing a RS Dart 1 that Iím relatively sure has took the proverbial dump. I donít know enough about the older forks to know what to buy. What is a decent replacement fork and price I should be looking for on eBay? Thanks in advance.

    FWIW I ride mostly stuff that everyone else has a $3k full suspension bike on. I just tough it out.
    I'm going to plug Rock Shox's Recon Silver TK again. Still being made, air coil, up to 130mm by simply removing spacers. As mentioned before, I put a 2017 version of this fork on my old Fisher Sugar 3+ that came stock with 110mm. I believe the Dart 1 is 100mm. Going to 120 or 130 will give your Wahoo a little more head tube rake and BB clearance. Did the same for my Sugar, and really made a positive difference. JensonUSA has a black (come in white as well) 2018 version for $250.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

  14. #14
    Special Ed
    Reputation: Neuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Also, are you sure your fork is a 100mm, these were typically built with a 63mm fork through around 99 or so. You can typically get away with an 80mm fork but a modern 100mm fork would really mess up the geometry.
    I had a 100mm on my Voodoo Hoodoo and it had great geometry. Anything over that and I agree.
    'Things you own...begin owning you.'

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,266
    This is a killer fork that I would put in the same class as a 2018 Sid. Manitou Marvel Pro Forks - 15mm 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles

  16. #16
    Dream it, Do it.
    Reputation: Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,437
    SR Suntour had several 26" forks, but I see that they are out of stock at a wholesale level. I got an XCR Air fork for my son's hardtail build in February, but I must have gotten their last 26" fork in stock. It's a decent fork. The damping is definitely less advanced, but it seems to be on par with the forks that I rode in the early 2000s.

    The 26" SR Suntour forks are:

    EPIXON-9 :Details¬*- SR SUNTOUR Cycling
    RAIDON XC-LO-R: https://www.srsuntour.com/collection...12180590002270
    XCR 32 LO R AIR: https://www.srsuntour.com/products/x...12180608942174
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I'm going to plug Rock Shox's Recon Silver TK again.
    I have one of these on an old Stumpjumper and I must say it's pretty good for what it is, and far better than the old Rockshox Judy I had on there before.

Similar Threads

  1. IS disc brake mounts vs Post mounts
    By laxdad in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-15-2016, 07:18 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM
  3. "Old school" or new school parts for build
    By JayboFett in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 06:34 AM
  4. Old School La Cruz, New School Twist
    By 88 rex in forum Salsa
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 01:09 AM
  5. Old school VS new school
    By Kona0197 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Members who have read this thread: 148

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.