mtbr member

Anyone else having a hard time finding a decent 26" suspension fork?

I have a 2008 SX Trail with the original Fox 36 Van RC2. I sent it out to PUSH Industries years ago for the Big Hit upgrade and it still functions well. The problem is the bushings are beginning to wear out and I would like to maybe replace the fork.

I have scoured the internet looking for a comparable fork but it's been nearly impossible to find a 1-1/8th steerer with 20mm thru axle.

Anyone know where to find one of these nearly extinct forks?

I know I could always just replace the bushings and move on, but I can't believe how difficult it has been trying to find something similar, even used.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else having a hard time finding a decent 26" suspension fork?-img_4107.jpg  

mtbr member
    Can you install a tapered lower headset cup?

I ran into the same issue with my reign.. but luckily its a 44mm head tube, so I just used a conversion headset and run modern forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Convert to a 15 mm?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure. Would it have to protrude from the bottom of the head tube? I haven't really looked into that option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Convert to a 15 mm?
    Thought about that but I just laced the wheels to a set of Pro 4 hubs I've had laying around for a while. I suppose that's an option but these wheels are really nice. Maybe hope makes a 15mm conversion kit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm sure you can adapt the 20mm thru axle to 15mm. I adapted my ex's 15mm to 12mm with a $20 sleeve I bought on the internet. Don't overthink this.

mtbr member
    Hope makes an everything conversion kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Can you install a tapered lower headset cup?

I ran into the same issue with my reign.. but luckily its a 44mm head tube, so I just used a conversion headset and run modern forks.
    I that photo, it looks like a straight 1-1/8" head tube.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityryder26 View Post
    I have a 2008 SX Trail with the original Fox 36 Van RC2. I sent it out to PUSH Industries years ago for the Big Hit upgrade and it still functions well. The problem is the bushings are beginning to wear out and I would like to maybe replace the fork.

I have scoured the internet looking for a comparable fork but it's been nearly impossible to find a 1-1/8th steerer with 20mm thru axle.

Anyone know where to find one of these nearly extinct forks?

I know I could always just replace the bushings and move on, but I can't believe how difficult it has been trying to find something similar, even used.

Contact FOX. I have a friend who works at a bike shop and he said some folks have been able to get the newer forks with a 1-1/8" steerer tube pressed in.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    If the bushings are worn, why not just replace them?

Sneaker man
    use the fork builder to see what they sell... just click the options you want...

Mountain Bike Forks | FOX
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Found this new 2016 36 float with a straight 1 1/8 steerer on Pinkbike . Snatched it up for a new build. So they do exist, just super rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Straight 26'' forks are getting rare. I recently bought a brand new, old stock 32 RLC and I paid quite a bit for it but these forks are so rare I felt it was worth doing.

The other option, apart from servicing the fork you have, is buying a tapered fork then buying a new straight steerer, crown and stanchion unit.

It's just going to get harder dealing with these older frames. It's annoying.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityryder26 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    It's just going to get harder dealing with these older frames. It's annoying.
    It is very annoying! Not to debate newer designs/advances, but so much, so fast, following different trends and no clear direction? Oh yeah, the bicycle industry...

Anyway, to facilitate my tire/rim width experimentation, my solution was to go to a 20mm rigid fork and 2.8" tire, that will likely switch to a 3.0" tire.

Here, diagonally!
    When it comes to new forks, the supply is centered around new bikes, as that is where most new forks go.

As an example, I recently had a friend that needed a straight-steerer 120mm 29er fork. Easy right? I figured they would be plentiful online, and cheap since they are not the latest-greatest. What I found is that there was very little selection, and they are not particularly cheap. Since the new bikes have tapered-steerers, it seems the industry has moved on as far as new production forks.

mbtr member
    I bought a 1.125 steerer lyrik in '08 for my big bike at the time. I converted it to rc2dh when that damper came out, and lowered it for a hardtail build a few years ago. I recently put it back in circulation as an upgrade to a pike rct3 (yeah, you read that right)... sheesh.

It's beat to shit, but it works perfectly, outperforms most new stuff, and it's cake to rebuild and tweak, so i'm still using it. Even though it's on a 1.5 head tube bike.

There's no point to this story, i just think it's absurd.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here's an option. I can speak from experience that these forks are super reliable, have a stiffer chassis than anything you can buy today, and the damper is top notch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-FUSION-Ve...0AAOSwcEha4lcl

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Donít know if youíre still looking but check out the Manitou Circus. Itís short travel but is straight 1 1/8Ē, 20mm TA, and lighter than a pile of bricks.
    Iím running one on my 2010 Rockhopper with a Hope Pro4 hub DH wheel, and itís all good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    You can run a 26 on a 27.5 fork or even a 29 fork. I've ran 26 mtb, 26 plus, and 26 fat on my Carver Transfat fork. Works well with all of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubcakes View Post
    You can run a 26 on a 27.5 fork or even a 29 fork. I've ran 26 mtb, 26 plus, and 26 fat on my Carver Transfat fork. Works well with all of them.
    It's the straight steerer that's the killer.

mtbr member
    What are you all seeing as reasonable prices for 140mm + straight steer tube forks; new vs. used? It does seem to be getting hard to find good ones, does $400 or seem to high if its new and a good fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    What are you all seeing as reasonable prices for 140mm + straight steer tube forks; new vs. used? It does seem to be getting hard to find good ones, does $400 or seem to high if its new and a good fork?
    I'm in the UK so the market is different. Depends on the fork I guess. $400 for a high quality brand new fork sounds ok to me but I don't know what US pricing is like.