Positively negative
    Mar 2010

Wide, tubeless, light rim

Built a '93 Trek 830 this summer to serve as a town bike but hit some trails with a friend while crusing around and had a blast. Looking to make it more trail worthy, though admittedly it will still mostly be a town bike, by putting on 2.4" tire. I'd like to mount it to a wide rim to buldge it out a bit but can't find anything that isn't designed for DH. KOM i29 would have been my first choice, but the Flow mk3 seems to be the closest thing I can find. Anybody know any other options?

mtbr member
    is an old Trek going to fit a 2.4 tire, and on a wide rim? those frames often had a real lack of big rubber room.

I really want to try this- ride an old bike on trails just to see what it can do and where my skills end.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    I'm wondering the same thing as Mack, will a 2.4 on a wide rim fit between the chainstays. I seem to remember there was more clearance at the seat stays, so look at the chain stays. The biggest tire I could fit on an older specialized was a 2.25, same for my RMB bikes ('02 and '07). As for rims, I would say the flow is what I would choose.

That said, you don't specify if this is for the front or rear, but we're assuming the rear or both. Also, this is likely a rim brake frame. If you are looking for a 26" msw rim that is tubeless and light... there are in small number and expensive. If you are looking for wide as well, that's gonna be a tough find.

What tire width do you have now?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    is an old Trek going to fit a 2.4 tire, and on a wide rim? those frames often had a real lack of big rubber room.

I really want to try this- ride an old bike on trails just to see what it can do and where my skills end.
    I test fit a 2.3" tire. The stock fork had room to spare, likely would take a 2.6" , but it was BENT. 2.4 will likely be max for the replacement I put on.

This bike is a blast on the easy trails we have here but IDK if I'd have fun in central Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing as Mack, will a 2.4 on a wide rim fit between the chainstays. I seem to remember there was more clearance at the seat stays, so look at the chain stays. The biggest tire I could fit on an older specialized was a 2.25, same for my RMB bikes ('02 and '07). As for rims, I would say the flow is what I would choose.

That said, you don't specify if this is for the front or rear, but we're assuming the rear or both. Also, this is likely a rim brake frame. If you are looking for a 26" msw rim that is tubeless and light... there are in small number and expensive. If you are looking for wide as well, that's gonna be a tough find.

What tire width do you have now?
    Sorry, front. I've replaced the stock fork with on with disc tabs so no braking surface needed. The rear would likely top out at 2.25" so I'm going to run a 2.1" Small Block 8 on and Alex Adventurer 2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    a 1993 trek is also going to be caliper brake only, no discs so that will limit your rim options. Sun Rhino Lite XL is still a solid choice and plenty wide for a 2.2/2.3 size tire

... Edit, saw you don't need braking surface up front. Andra Ryde !!
    https://www.720-bike.de/media/image/..._1_600x600.jpg
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    a 1993 trek is also going to be caliper brake only, no discs so that will limit your rim options. Sun Rhino Lite XL is still a solid choice and plenty wide for a 2.2/2.3 size tire

... Edit, saw you don't need braking surface up front. Andra Ryde !!
    https://www.720-bike.de/media/image/..._1_600x600.jpg
    I was actually looking at that rim because J and B has them on closeout. But one of the main reasons I picked this bike was the aesthetics. I want to keep the frame neon yellow and have everything else black, to the point I'm using acetone to remove logs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Trying to find 26", rim brake, tubeless?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Copying this from a previous post I made. Here was the list of ones that I was able to confirm when I was doing a build a few years ago. You can often find some of these on ebay, but the best ones, the ZTR's and the DT's IMO, are nearly impossible these days. You can use the disc specific ZTR 355's with rim brakes. They're a bit noisy while the paint wears off but they were actually spec'd for rim brake use.

Stans ZTR 355
    DT XR425
    DR XR4.1D
    Mavic 719 and 819 Tubeless Rim Brake
    Mavic Crossmax (ST and SL) Tubeless
    Mavic Crossroc Tubeless
    Bontrager Race X Lite Tubeless
    Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless
    Bontrager Mustang TLR (ceramic brake surface)
    Velocity A23 TLR
    WTB Something (maybe frequency, can't remember this one off the top of my head)
    XTR M970 Tubeless
    XT M770 Tubeless
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Alex Adventurer 2.