Thread: wide rims?

viva la v-brakes!

wide rims?

I'd really like to take advantage of wide (~30mm internal) rims on my 26" bike, and I'm having a hard time finding light-ish options for XC/Trail riding. Its even more challenging since I'm running V-brakes on the back of my bike.

There are plenty very heavy, disc-only options, but I'm not seeing much under 600 g, and nothing more than 25mm internal that is rim-brake compatible.

Does anyone know any that I'm missing?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    You want wide carbon V-brake compatible rims?

I don't know of any really.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

viva la v-brakes!
    Never said it had to be carbon.

I only need rim-brake comparability for the rear wheel. Something like the Velocity Bunt SS would be nice for the front. Not available in 26" though.

The Velocity Cliffhangers are rim-brake-compatible, but both somewhat heavy (600g) and fairly narrow (25mm internally)... but its the closest thing I can find for the rear wheel.

Nextie and Light Bicycles do have some options for the disc-only front wheel, and the price isn't terrible, I'd just prefer metal rims for this particular bike, and to keep the cost a bit more reasonable.

mtbr member
    Its really time (way past time) to upgrade to a disc frame.

You can get a good quality, used disc 26er frame for... well, probably free if you know some locals who ride. I got one from the LBS for $20, and the owner was glad to unload it.

You're not going to find a wide, modern rim brake rim. They don't exist. We got lightweight, wide rims because they machine the sidewalls extremely thin. No room for a brake track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Never said it had to be carbon.

I only need rim-brake comparability for the rear wheel. Something like the Velocity Bunt SS would be nice for the front. Not available in 26" though.

The Velocity Cliffhangers are rim-brake-compatible, but both somewhat heavy (600g) and fairly narrow (25mm internally)... but its the closest thing I can find for the rear wheel.

Nextie and Light Bicycles do have some options for the disc-only front wheel, and the price isn't terrible, I'd just prefer metal rims for this particular bike, and to keep the cost a bit more reasonable.
    Well, you said you wanted light and wide. The only option there is carbon. Syntace makes a good aluminum wide wheel which is not too heavy. But disc only.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Wide rims are over rated....my Blunt 35mm gave me nothing but trouble....dinged to easy even with higher psi....went back to narrow
    Tread killer....

mtbr member
    Blunt 35s need really big tires, not many options in 26.

Also, not a rim brake rim.

mtbr member
    The closest thing I can think of is Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite XL. I think its rim brake compatible. Not quite as wide as you're wanting but I don't think what you want exists. No disc tabs on your frame?

Here, diagonally!
    Along these lines, first question I'd confider is what is the biggest tire you can fit and get your hands on. If you can only fit a 2.35 tire, there is not much point in going wider than 25mm internal IMO.

I do think it make sense to go with bigger tires / wider rims on a 26 bike if they will fit.

Agree with One Pivot on watching for a good deal on a modern 26 frame, or network locally.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    The closest thing I can think of is Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite XL. I think its rim brake compatible. Not quite as wide as you're wanting but I don't think what you want exists. No disc tabs on your frame?
    Yep, around 550 grams 25mm id.

If you want wider than that with rim brakes, look to the trials/unicycle suppliers.
    Won't be cheap or light, but you can get them.

mtbr member
    Your not going to find much out there, bro...trust me, I looked for a long time. No one makes 'em any more. Gonna have to source some used wheels.

I was fortunate to find a pair of NOS Planet X LMF hoops....rim-brake compatible and 32mm I.D......on ebay for $100. Also picked up a used pair of Syncros Big Box wheels over on Pink Bike for $150 shipped. You can often find good deals since no one wants them anymore.

Either that, or like others have said, bite the bullet and upgrade your frame.

mtbr member
    The LMF is 620 grams. Its ridiculous heavy.

mtbr member
    Well, yeah....most wide rims are. But I don’t notice the extra weight on my 4X hardtail....28lbs total. Plus, they’re strong as hell.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The LMF is 620 grams. Its ridiculous heavy.
    I think you're too used to disc rims to know what's ridiculous anymore.

Pro Crastinator
    with rims that wide it will be a fun task to figure out how to keep the brake cable and noodle above the apex of the tire with everything spread so far apart. if you manage that, your brake arms will stick so far out, they'll likely be stabbing you in the calfs as you pedal...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    I'd really like to take advantage of wide (~30mm internal) rims...
    what advantages do you think you'll have?

also this...
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    with rims that wide it will be a fun task to figure out how to keep the brake cable and noodle above the apex of the tire with everything spread so far apart. if you manage that, your brake arms will stick so far out, they'll likely be stabbing you in the calfs as you pedal...

itunes sucks
    My titek trials rims are something like 45mm iirc..the mtb rim brakes will stick out as stated above, but interestingly enough my calf hits the boost seatstay on my other bike more often

Edit* NM, just looked at the thing, forgot how small the pads are..the ole mtb rim brakes are chunky, you would def have to trim something w/ wide rim in there
    Last edited by Deerhill; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:59 PM.

itunes sucks

If you want to go faster than 5mph and over 170lbs...

Just stick w/ i27-i25, you're not missing anything

viva la v-brakes!

wide rims?

If you move the thin concave washer to the inside as shown in the below photo, you reduce the width of the brake arms quite a bit. Filing the inside concave and convex washers down a bit buys you more space.

With some brakes, you can reverse the brake arms and springs so that the plate that the pads mount to is further from the rim. This greatly reduces the width of the arms. Wouldn’t work on my avid brakes, but it should work with Paul brakes.

You can increase the cable clearance above the tire by using a noodle that has greater than 90* bend, I believe this one is 135* it buys at least 5mm of clearance and in my case.

The long and short of it is that tweaking my bike to fit the widest rim I can get my hands on will cost a lot less and be a lot less work than tearing the whole bike down to the frame, sending it in to get disk tabs put on it, then repainted, rebuild, and a whole new rear wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    what about trials rims?
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Yep, around 550 grams 25mm id.

If you want wider than that with rim brakes, look to the trials/unicycle suppliers.
    Won't be cheap or light, but you can get them.

Most of my front wheels are around 800 grams (typical internal width is 18-23mm). When I look online there is a huge price gap between 'normal' wheels that are 18-25mm internal, for around $65-125 each, and either wide rims or light rims, then it's more like $200-400/wheel or $400-900/set.

If there is that big of a price difference, is it really worth saving around 200 grams? Will the performance be worth spending several hundred more on a wheel or wheelset?

I spoke with the LBS about this, and they said (and look, they could be wrong, it's just their opinion), that it's much better to keep the relatively heavy 800 gram wheels, and make the the tire tubeless to lose weight, then to spend a lot more money on a 25% lighter wheelset and then do tubeless anyway. The tubeless part is the best bang for the buck as far as losing weight on the wheel, and they said they can make almost any wheel tubeless, whether the rim is TR-ready or not.

Seems more reasonable then plunking down a crapload of cash to save 200 grams/wheel, opinions?
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.