Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

What are your favorite 26er tires available right now?

What tires are you riding that you like? Links to where you can buy would be a bonus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm going with continentals this season.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Hans Dampf or nobby nics. I usually try to find them on sale, but there are a ton of options in widths and compounds so shopping around for the exact one is usually the best bet.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

SPECIALizED
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Tir...-Tire?cs=Black

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Panaracer swoops for my trail riding and Hans Dampf Super-G for my downhillin'

mtbr member
    Maxxis 2.5 dhf front, aggressor rear with double down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Onza Ibex DH 2.40 front, Vittoria Morsa G+ TNT 2.35 rear.
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Yeah here in the rocky mountains, it is Ardent for xc or if you are a smaller rider and DHR II's and DRFs for everything else. Specialized still has a good selection of 26 tires. I really like ground controls for xc and purgator and butchers for bigger bikes. If you live in rocky areas you need the grid sidewall.
    Schwalbe hans dampf's are not bad, but you have to buy the nice ones. Stay away from the Dual Compound and Performance versions, they just don't hold up.
    I really like Schwalbe big bettys as a front tire, but you can't find them anymore.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

Co Springs
    -
    I'm cheap but like this for the tighter knobby and areas I ride. Lends itself well to hardpack and smooth rolling like a 'small block'.

It's a Performance Bike house brand "Forte Tsali" .... $17 to $19.99 when on sale. Probably $26 a full retail - lol.
    Read other reviews of them and no real gripes but might be a thin casing and more prone to punctures. I have not experienced that though. Got them a 26 x 2.2 on my Kona ht and probably going the same for my older Spec rigid.

Name:  1020534d1416922562-anyone-here-driving-29er-semi-slick-tyres-tsalitread.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  44.9 KB
    Last edited by bachman1961; 04-11-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf 26" Tire > Components > Tires | Jenson USA

Holy crap, that's a deal and a half.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Wow, even the snakeskin tubeless are $10. That's ridiculous.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Yup, I bought a couple nobby nics, & a couple fat alberts. best deal at Jenson ever!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hard to beat DHFs for my area. Ran Der Baron Projekts (F+R) for a bit and liked the cornering. Ran across the Onza Ibex 2.4 DH on sale at Art's and gave those a whirl. They are now my current favorites (F+R).

mtbr member
    Been riding Maxxis for a while now, love the DHF front with HR2 out back. Was going to try something different in the rear from Maxxis but now giving Schwable a try, bought a few Hans Dampf, a 2 of each in snakeskin and super gravity, also 2 nobby nics, from Jenson. Also got a super gravity Rock Razor for $17 bucks. Couldn't resist at those prices.

1 ride in, happy so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ^^The super g's are heavy! I accidentally got some Hans in super g compound (meant to get Pacestar) and will send them back to Jenson. Too heavy for me. Otherwise I've been using a Hans/Nobby Nic combo and at the current Jenson price, it's unbeatable. And the 2.35 combined with my wide rims, it's so nice with all that volume. I stocked up on the nobbys and hans, got two extra sets. At 10 bucks a tire why not?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    ^^The super g's are heavy! I accidentally got some Hans in super g compound (meant to get Pacestar) and will send them back to Jenson. Too heavy for me. Otherwise I've been using a Hans/Nobby Nic combo and at the current Jenson price, it's unbeatable. And the 2.35 combined with my wide rims, it's so nice with all that volume. I stocked up on the nobbys and hans, got two extra sets. At 10 bucks a tire why not?
    My other bike currently has 29x3 Dirt Wizards at 1300ish grams a piece. These aren't horrible. I'll swap these for the trailstar snakeskin soon, just wanted to try these. Really will probably just use the super gravity for some park days I have planned this summer. They are sticky with the vertstar compound!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nobby Nics!
    The sales from Jenson can't be beat. I previously bought several of the 2.25" 2015 Nics when they were on close-out last year. I just picked up a few more pairs of 2.35" Nobby Nics and look forward to trying out the Hans Dampfs, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Anybody have an opinion on whether the Hans Dampfs or Nics are better suited for xc duty? I have old narrow rims so I was considering the Nics just because they come in 2.25

nm, the 2.25 Nics don't get the big discount

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am normally a Continental whore but with the price at Jensons, I am going to give the Hans Dampf a go.

mtbr member
    for the rear in loose conditions, I think the WTB VelociRaptor Rear is the best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    My current favorite is Hans Dampf and Jenson is selling them for $10. I bought one for the rear and so far I like it. Just ordered another one for the front. I like them because 2.35" is more like 2.4"+. The weight is OK. Not too light or heavy. Some feel that they give too much drag but I am on my single speed. Speed isn't my focus.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I just put some Specialized Ground Control 2.3 f/r on my 26er. I only have 2 rides on them but I like them 100% more than the 2.1 Kendas that came with it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For now Hans Dampf. Excellent all around tire. I thought the rolling resistance was pretty good for the size. Way better than Kenda Nevegal. I just put some 2.5 3C compound DHF's on to try out.

mtbr member
    Holy crap on the Hans Dampf's! Just ordered two, and the shipping was only $5.95!

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    I was on Michelin's this past season (Wild Race'r rear/Wild Grip'r 2 front), and they were decent tires, but after hearing everyone swear by the knobby nic and hans dampf and Jenson selling them both for $9.99 I jumped on a set. Should have a review on the 2 after a week or of hitting my favorite trails once weather permits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Btw, I weighed the Nobby Nic 2.35 Pacestar at 620g and the Hans Dampf 2.35 Pacestar at 795g. The Hans Dampf 2.35 Vertstar aka Super G's weighed in at a whopping 1040g for a 26in tire. The Hans in Pacestar are already heavy enough for my taste, but they are worth it for the volume, width, and the glorious traction.

mtbr member
    I dont even need tires and picked up a couple. Thats awesome

eri
    mtbr member
    The hans dampf are a crazy good deal. $10 for snakeskin is fantastic. Thanks so much for posting.

I'm not tempted by the $10 nics though. I had a non-snakeskin nobby nic once... light and supple and fast but after < 100 miles of winter mud I got a 1' tear in the sidewall and had to walk out. Whole tire zippered open where it touched the rim.

I've since used snakeskin which have lasted many many miles, actually wore out the tread.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

Barely in control
    Loaded up on Hans Dampfs, thanks.

mtbr member

Which one of these would you recommend for my 2012 Fuel EX9 for single track riding here in NY state with some rocks and roots? Please recommend front and rear if they would be different. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up, those Hans Dampfs are a steal at 10 bucks, loaded up on some, will be good for trashing them at keystone. Usually go through 1-2 tires a month here in the summer riding park nearly every day. Still have a few fresh Minion DHF 2.5 exo's too from when Jenson was selling them for 30 bucks last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Which one of these would you recommend for my 2012 Fuel EX9 for single track riding here in NY state with some rocks and roots? Please recommend front and rear if they would be different. Thanks.
    If you plan on climbing probably the trailstar snakeskin ones, the vertstar ones are heavy and probably not necessary unless you are frequently trashing normal tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    If you plan on climbing probably the trailstar snakeskin ones, the vertstar ones are heavy and probably not necessary unless you are frequently trashing normal tires.
    Same for front and back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Same for front and back?
    Yeah, could go vertstar front for extra grip but it would add weight and the knobs might wear out faster. I haven't used either in Hans Dampf so am the wrong person to ask, someone else can chime in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm riding WTB Wolverines 2.2, can't complain and only spent $20 per tire.

mtbr member
    I've seen posts that Trailstar wears too quickly on the rear but is good for the front. I've have the HD Pacestar front & rear set up tubeless on one of my bikes for over year and they look very good. I'm close to you in NJ and have not had a problem with grip, in fact I'm impressed with the Pacestar compound on the rocks and roots where I ride. At $10 you could buy a few of each and see what works best for your terrain.

That Sleestak
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    You guys should chill out. Take some weeds!

mtbr member

That was a great link. I picked up a pair of Hans Dampfs and a 2.4 Fat Albert! All for less than $30!

Thanks for the link!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Are those Fat Alberts any good?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It's a tie between Crossmark and the Holy Rollers since I ride street 80% of the time

Currently using the 2.1 Crossmarks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Are those Fat Alberts any good?
    I think they are OK. If I remember, they are huge volume tires, which is what I am looking for.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hans Dampf trailstars cause they are insanely cheap at jensons. Rear is not wearing any faster than the front. Maxxis Minions cause they work well here.
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I would definitely go nn for xc, I've got a 2.4 pacestar set from the Jenson sale I'm loving on my xc bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I was going to order some more for our middle school mtb team but they are gone! I guess hans will do instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So I went with the hans dampf up front and nobby nic rear from the Jenson sale. Both were 2.35, but the nobby nic does not have snake skin which is too bad. Mounted the tires yesterday evening and the rear is pretty tight for clearance on the chainstays of my old XC frame, but it fits. I went out for a ride and there's a huge difference from the worn out 2.1s I replaced. The bigger tires are definitely more comfortable and the traction is worlds better. They did feel a little loose over gravel, but that might have been because they had gotten pretty packed up with clay from an earlier wet section of trail. Overall I think these are great as long as I stay out of the mud which is pretty easy to do around here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Picked up 4 of these, thank you for posting the link

Dave's not here.
    I just learnt that my favorite tire is no longer being produced. WTB Wolverine was my go to tire for the longest time and is no longer listed on WTB's website. That, and their list for 26" rims has been reduced. At least the Frequency i25 is still there.
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

Barely in control
    Favorite 26er tire is the Geax Gato in 2.3 TNT. The tread looks goofy, but it sure does work. too bad its discontinued. The new Gato is just a boring square knob design. boooooo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Michelin wild rocker'2 is my favorite tire right now. Also a fan of the minion r and f. Schwalbe has all new compounds for a number of tires available in 26". I love the magic mary for wet conditions. Super gravity is a good casing for flat prone riders.

Chainreactioncycles.com has wild rocker's for 50$ all the time. They are competitive on pricing with just about all tires with free shipping to the states on orders over 50.

moar alike..
    Just slapped on FRESH Muddy Mary, great tire one my favs
    All barks have been rendered into english...

moar alike..
    @Cornfield, you tried the smorg in front? Wish I could get one at the 2.4" size too

That Sleestak
    Quote Originally Posted by J: View Post
    @Cornfield, you tried the smorg in front? Wish I could get one at the 2.4" size too
    Smorgasbord has basically the same tread pattern as the CM. They say the CM casing is the same as the the ardent with EXO sidewalls, but On-One labels it "Eckso". They don't say that about the Smorg, but I'm guessing it's similar.

tl;dr- Just get a CM if you want 2.4

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

I use Vittoria GomaTnT 2.4 front, Morsa TnT 2.3 rear. Maxxis now, switching back to V

Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Favorite 26er tire is the Geax Gato in 2.3 TNT. The tread looks goofy, but it sure does work. too bad its discontinued. The new Gato is just a boring square knob design. boooooo
    PM me if you need 2 new Gato 26 2.3 TnT. May sell a pair of Mezcals too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Surly Extra Terrestrial 26x2.5 is a really great tire, really shines on gravel and medium soft sand, but also rolls great on pavement and sucks up all the little bumps. I'm on my second set. Got around 4000 miles on the first. Good puncture protection too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I favor the Continental Trail Kings with Black Chilli. The grip is phenomenal except in mud

Barely in control
    For "available right now" I have to say, 2.35" Hans Dampf Pacestar Snakeskin - good longevity and awesome grip.
    Last edited by Schulze; 07-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Who is John Galt?
    Currently running Continental Trail Kings on my Yeti 575. I lie these a lot because they are tubeless, seem to grab the typically wet, rocky rooty trails I ride well and have excellent mud clearing ability. On my ARC I am running Kenda Nevegals, also tubeless. I just ordered a set of Nevegals in 2.3 width, previously always ran 2.1 so this is going to be a big change. Around here the Schwalbe tires and slammed for being scary slick on wet rock. Have been nothing it's getting harder to find 26 inch tires.
    What, me hurry?

moar alike..

next front tire??

My last muddy mary is about done and off the front, have to finish off this 2.5dhf...now what??

mtbr member
    2.7 DHF with DH wire casing.

That Sleestak
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    2.7 DHF with DH wire casing.
    You can get a 2.8" that weighs almost 400g less. Minion DHF Plus | Maxxis Tires USA

You'd want some wider rims (29-45i), and the room to fit them.

I Love my Rize

My 2 cents

WTB Vigilanti tough casing front and rear high grip in front and fast rolling rear. Best tire ever. Used to use hans dampf performance, broke my neck with them c4 and c5 due to sidewall failure on a nasty downhill at pinned speed. I will never use anything but a hardcore enduro or downhill casing. I have a new set of hans in super g in pacestar but haven't put them on yet as the vigilanti's are so much better.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    You broke your neck?

I Love my Rize
    yep in 2 places c4 and c5 no surgery. Doctor said I'm lucky 🍀 to be alive. Broken necks are either...... or
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm putting together a 26" hardtail and I'm thinking of putting the two continental tires 2.4

Name:  Continental Trail king.png
Views: 1577
Size:  240.3 KBName:  ontinental x-king.png
Views: 1568
Size:  290.3 KB

mtbr member
    a 2.4 trail king is pretty big, and the xking is sort of a xcountry tire. If your bike is more xcountry but you want some good grip, look at a 2.4 mountain king in the front and a 2.2 mountain king in the back. Or go Trail king in the front and mountain king in the back. I would stay away from xking unless you are doing only x country riding on relatively smooth trails.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Make sure you know which sidewall and compounds you want. They're a lot like Schwalbe in the sense that there's multiple sidewall and tread compounds and there's huge differences in weight and usability, especially when running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Make sure you know which sidewall and compounds you want. They're a lot like Schwalbe in the sense that there's multiple sidewall and tread compounds and there's huge differences in weight and usability, especially when running tubeless.
    a 2.4 trail king is pretty big, and the xking is sort of a xcountry tire. If your bike is more xcountry but you want some good grip, look at a 2.4 mountain king in the front and a 2.2 mountain king in the back. Or go Trail king in the front and mountain king in the back. I would stay away from xking unless you are doing only x country riding on relatively smooth trails.
    You guys are making my choices harder, but I appreciated, based on both your opinions I would be buying the wrong tire.

So, thank you

Mudhorse
    Conti RaceSport and ProTection sidewall-spec tyres both use their excellent Black Chilli rubber compound, which is counter-intuitively both very grippy and very hard-wearing. Both also use Kevlar beads. The RaceSports are very light but have thin sidewalls that are easily damaged and are too porous for tubeless. The ProTections have much tougher sidewalls and are tubeless-ready, but are a bit heavier.

I'm currently running a 26 x 2.2" Race King ProTection on the back and a 26 x 2.2" X King RaceSport on the front, which suits my local summertime hardpack trails a treat. I was running a 2.2" Race King RaceSport on the back but since I dropped my rear tyre pressure from 37 to 33 psi (carrying a 200 lb load) I was getting accelerated sidewall flexion wear and the life expectancy dropped from a full season to half a season. I don't get the same wear issues with RaceSports on the front due to the lighter loading.

Last Winter, when the hardpack turned to mud, I was running 26 x 2.4" Mountain King 2 RaceSport front and rear. I was happy with the rear fitment but I decided I don't like the MK2 on the front as the squared knob profile makes the handling non-linear (there's a marked transition as I pass through a certain lean angle, particularly on hard surfaces), so I'll be looking for something with a rounder profile for the next mud season.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

Titanium junkie
    It's been so long since I have rode that I just went with what worked
    for me years ago..................
    2.1Velociraptor on the front and a 2.1 Kenda El Moco on the back...............
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

it's....
    Anyone notice knobs tearing off Nobby Nics?
    Got some Swalbes from Jenson sale and seems enduro style aggressive cornering is not good for the longevity of side knobs.
    One knob lifting off tore enough casing that sealant didn't work and had to put a tube in.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe tires are notoriously soft, and there is a huge difference between their performance tires and their high end tires. Schwalbe was dumping all of their tires because they were switching their rubber compounds or atleast their marketing. So if you didn't buy the pacestar tires with snakeskin, they just won't last long in any kind of rocky conditions. And even if you did, I wouldn't expect to get more than a couple of hundred miles out of them. Schwalbe tires are soft ground tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
    Anyone notice knobs tearing off Nobby Nics?
    Got some Swalbes from Jenson sale and seems enduro style aggressive cornering is not good for the longevity of side knobs.
    One knob lifting off tore enough casing that sealant didn't work and had to put a tube in.
    If you're riding aggressive, snakeskins last a week or two, supergravity maybe a month.

moar alike..

dhrii on supra d left, 2.5 dhf right...lookit the block size

The 1,000g dhrii 2.8" has same size casing as the minion 2.7dd ~ 161mm bead to bead

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Anyone have any ideas of any 26" tires with skin/gum wall still being produced? I'm talking about decent, "real" tires that we would ride, not shit you'd find at Walmart. I guess Maxxis skipped the 26"ers on their runs.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Anyone have any ideas of any 26" tires with skin/gum wall still being produced? I'm talking about decent, "real" tires that we would ride, not shit you'd find at Walmart. I guess Maxxis skipped the 26"ers on their runs.
    I've been looking and haven't found any. You used to be able to get the Onza Canis in 26" skinwall but I haven't seen any in a while.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.thedrake View Post
    I've been looking and haven't found any. You used to be able to get the Onza Canis in 26" skinwall but I haven't seen any in a while.
    You would think that since these things seem to have sold out everywhere there is still a market for them...someone like Maxxis and/or Onza would seize the opportunity to take our money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    In the dry Conti Race Kings 2.0 and mud/soft Conti Mud King 1.8

mtbr member
    26" 2.40 CST Rock Hawk, $26 on Amazon, got it for $17. It has knobs all over the place, really helped the bike to go downhill, but it's a bit bouncy over 35 psi (I don't think it's tubeless ready).

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    On the Chameleon hard tail in the dry, Ikon rear and Ardent Race front. In the wet, Ardent 2.4 rear and HR2 2.3 front.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a pair of Panaracer Fire XC Pro's and really like them a lot so far. Panaracer Fire XC Pro Tire | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    like my current setup : Maxxis Advantage 2.25 front and Conti Trail King 2.2 rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm realy liking my hans dampf 2.35 evo. Not that thrilled with my nobby nic 2.35, probably going to go to a continental mountain king 2.4 as soon as it wears out.

29er convert
    I am trying out the Specialized Crossroads FastTrak in 26x1.9

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    I once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Crossroads Armadillo?

29er convert
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Crossroads Armadillo?
    No, FastTrak

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    I once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt

mtbr member
    May 2014
    WTB vigilante front and WTB moto rear both 2.35 setup tubless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Right now I have a Trail King P+A 2.4 up front and a Vigilante Tough/High Grip 2.3 in the rear. I cut the center knobs of the Vigilante by 2mm to make it a 'Tough/Fast-High Grip'. This combination has proven to be reliable and predictable at high cornering speeds. Even more so now that there has been rain and the soil is sticky.

I was thinking of getting a DHRII for the rear and cutting down the center knobs, but the sale price and tread pattern of the Vigilante were a deterrent.
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

too much bike love
    I've been riding the Forte Tsali as well. The folding version is regularly on sale for $25 in store at Performance. Good fast rollers and they are light, but they don't have a lot of bite in the corners. And 2.2" is a bit ambitious, mine measure at less the 2.1", but I have old fashioned narrow rims, so that might have something to do with it.

Music & Bikes
    Conti Rubber Queen for the MTB

Jumbo Jim for the summer fat

Lou & Bud for winter fat
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am running the WTB rajun 2.1 on my specialized Rockhopper comp. I like them a lot. lots of grip!

Is dang happy!
    Anyone try a 2.55 Rubina Pro? I am looking for something to Replace the long gone Big Betty's and want high volume and grip. Aside from the 2.5" Minion I am not seeing much out there, I have a Chunky Monkey now that uses the same casing but would prefer even more volume.
    Wish I could put a 2.8 Minion in the old Pike but it is too close for comfort.

Name:  51eF6wqZqfL.01_SL400_.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  34.3 KB
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Maxxis DD casings. Pick your pattern. Many available in 26", you'll just have to search for them, or buy directly from Maxxis. DD is for all you tire destroyers out there. Very tough, and in 26", not too heavy. Best compromise casing between XC and DH ever made.

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.thedrake View Post
    Anybody have an opinion on whether the Hans Dampfs or Nics are better suited for xc duty? I have old narrow rims so I was considering the Nics just because they come in 2.25

nm, the 2.25 Nics don't get the big discount
    NN 2nd gen (TLE) can be used for AM/Enduro duties too, if you're not too hard charging. I've been riding a NN 2.25 or 2.35 (depending on time of the year)/Hasn Dampf combo with good results on my 6" bike. If you're looking for deals on Schwalbe tires, try hibike.com (choose US or Canada as destination) or bike24.com

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    I'm realy liking my hans dampf 2.35 evo. Not that thrilled with my nobby nic 2.35, probably going to go to a continental mountain king 2.4 as soon as it wears out.
    Schwalbe tires are very sensitive to pressure. Have you tried dropping a few psi?

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    My last muddy mary is about done and off the front, have to finish off this 2.5dhf...now what??
    Magic Mary?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    WTB Bronson Race 2.3 Folding!

* Low weight carbon fiber beads
    * Good low rolling resistance ramped treads
    * Aggressive enough pattern that it grips fairly well
    * 2.3" is wide enough to lower the tire pressures & still fit between the stays
    * Good durability so far

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have run Fat Alberts (old model, TLE snakeskin) and liked them although in my AZ riding they may be a bit overkill for mostly dry hardpack. I don't do any DH type riding, just horse trails, old jeeps roads and multi-use trails.

Recently went to Nobby Nic evo double defense 2.25's and went tubeless on WTB i23's. Really like those for the full snakeskin and additional tread protection that I understand is similar to the raceguard. Decent weight I think at 660, but then again I am not weight conscious. I'd rather have a tough tire to add sidewall cut resistance and deal with cactus thorns and my 200lb. Going tubeless was a god send after patching tubes after almost every ride. I do occasionally go free range and that pretty much guarantees thorns and cactus spines. The NN seems like a great all arounder for me and does seem to roll better. I found that poor braking (locking up) in rocky sections really tears up any tire I have run. When I read about people ripping off knobs my first thought is they are locking up the rear.

Planning to try some Thunder Burt and Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph combo soon. Looking at the Rock Razor for the rear but unsure if it would fit my older HT.

I've bought from Jenson and got the NN's from Merlin I think at around $33 a couple months ago.

mtbr member
    magic mary up front and i'm good with whatever i have out back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    #1 DHF 2.35 Grippy as all heck, get some! F&R
    #2 Trail King 2.2* Big & fat & deceptively quick. Great back but larger than DHF
    #3 Hans Dampf 2.35 Pretty great but grip is not super awesome, slightly larger than DHF
    #4 Mountain King 2.2* Great but less great when leaned over. About the same size as DHF
    #5 Nevegal 2.35 Pretty good but lacking massive grip, about the same size as DHF

Tires above are 3C, Black Chili, trail/pace compound or soft. PNW = softer compound for slick damp performance. Because PNW.

*Some sidewall wear apparent, much more so than the others, aside from that OK. Black Chili wears very well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Lots of good tires being used... I'm riding on some CST Jackrabbits and some Serfas drifters the most. Also have some WTB Warden and Maxxis Holy Rollers but don't use those too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast