Just A Mountain Biker.

Voluminous non-plus 26Ē tire, fast rolling

Looking for some Cush on my klunker, but being a Ď97 Iím probably a limited to 2.35/2.4? I am currently running those Forte Tsali 2.25 (more like 2.1, only
    Measuring 53mm) and need some more width and volume to take the edge off. I was going to just go with Ikon 2.35ís but though I would ask before pulling the trigger in case Iím missing something. Arizona, hardpack, this bike is used for some training miles on some pretty smooth twisty trails. Rims not super wide either. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Most of the Schwalbes get fat on wide rims. My 2.35 Rock Razors and Nobby Nics come out to about 2.5" on i32 hoops. Just a thought that might work for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ardent 2.4-img_20170626_195216995_hdr-picsay.jpg

Barely in control
    Morsa 2.3 TNT G+ is 2.4"

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Mavic crossmax charge 2.4, measuring really 2,6
    Not particularly fast Rolling but lovely wide

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

Barely in control
    I heard those mavic tires wear out real fast. G+ is long wearing, fast rolling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I heard those mavic tires wear out real fast. G+ is long wearing, fast rolling.
    This one is now at the back (to finish it) but worked better at the front wheel (lasting more than a year in the rocky Andes)

mtbr member
    a 2.4 trail king is a pretty big tire as well.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Morsa 2.3 TNT G+ is 2.4"
    Thinking about those real hard, have them on my 5010c as well. Just worried about performance on narrower rims.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Most of the Schwalbes get fat on wide rims. My 2.35 Rock Razors and Nobby Nics come out to about 2.5" on i32 hoops. Just a thought that might work for you.
    Second the Rock Razor 2.35. Great desert tire that rolls crazy fast, and drifts super well. It's probably the highest volume 2.35 on the market too.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Second the Rock Razor 2.35. Great desert tire that rolls crazy fast, and drifts super well. It's probably the highest volume 2.35 on the market too.
    Front AND rear? Seems like a rear tire to me, like a Slaughter or a Minion SS. Just curious.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Front AND rear? Seems like a rear tire to me, like a Slaughter or a Minion SS. Just curious.
    I would do just rear. If you want more volume you'll get more of it in the rock razor compared to the slaughter or minion. If you decide against the razor I would go minion ss over slaughter because of the blockier shoulder lugs which will offer better support on dry hard surfaces. I do love the slaughter/butcher side lugs but only when they have soil to dig into. Both the RR and Minion SS have great shoulder lugs for hard dry conditions. You could also look at the Ardent and Griffen by maxxis. No experience with those but they might fit the bill for you. Just know that if you want volume you won't get it with any maxxis 2.3. You need to go 2.4 or 2.5 maxxis to match schwalbe's 2.3.

Up front it just depends on how much rolling speed you want. I would consider DHF 2.5, DHR2 2.4, high roller 2.4, Hans Dampf 2.35. I wouldn't put any maxxis 2.3 up front unless you go maxxis 2.3 in the rear. You'll end up with bigger in the back both in volume and width.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I would do just rear. If you want more volume you'll get more of it in the rock razor compared to the slaughter or minion. If you decide against the razor I would go minion ss over slaughter because of the blockier shoulder lugs which will offer better support on dry hard surfaces. I do love the slaughter/butcher side lugs but only when they have soil to dig into. Both the RR and Minion SS have great shoulder lugs for hard dry conditions. You could also look at the Ardent and Griffen by maxxis. No experience with those but they might fit the bill for you. Just know that if you want volume you won't get it with any maxxis 2.3. You need to go 2.4 or 2.5 maxxis to match schwalbe's 2.3.

Up front it just depends on how much rolling speed you want. I would consider DHF 2.5, DHR2 2.4, high roller 2.4, Hans Dampf 2.35. I wouldn't put any maxxis 2.3 up front unless you go maxxis 2.3 in the rear. You'll end up with bigger in the back both in volume and width.
    Thanks so much for putting all that thought into it. I also have to consider the v-brakes, and what I can wedge between them without having to completely deflate the tire. I am leaning towards Ardent 2.4 and maybe and Ikon 2.3 for the back. Anything is better than those woefully undersized tsaliís...but they were cheap and worked ok for cruising around on.

mtbr member
    Forte Pisgah II's are the best tire I've used in that size range for single track. Ramped centers, and very inexpensive. I actually have an extra set I could ship you if you are interested. I went 26+ on both my 26 bikes.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeners View Post
    Forte Pisgah II's are the best tire I've used in that size range for single track. Ramped centers, and very inexpensive. I actually have an extra set I could ship you if you are interested. I went 26+ on both my 26 bikes.
    Are they as undersized as the Tsali's? You don't happen to have a caliper measurement do you? The Tsali's came in at 51mm, way smaller than stated.

mtbr member
    Are they as undersized as the Tsali's? You don't happen to have a caliper measurement do you? The Tsali's came in at 51mm, way smaller than stated.
    They are pretty monstrous. I believe they measured almost 2.4 on my i23/o29 Alex and Crank bros. They measured out to 2.56" on my 39mm velocity dually's when I took them off. Below are pics I had on my jumper before I upgraded to 2.8. I can affirm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -20180127_091302_hdr.jpg  

-20180127_091757_hdr.jpg  

Just A Mountain Biker.
    They are pretty monstrous. I believe they measured almost 2.4 on my i23/o29 Alex and Crank bros. They measured out to 2.56" on my 39mm velocity dually's when I took them off. Below are pics I had on my jumper before I upgraded to 2.8. I can affirm.
    That tire looks huge!!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    PM sent...

Barely in control
    Pisgah 2 looks like a winner.

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by felipespinoz View Post
    Mavic crossmax charge 2.4, measuring really 2,6
    Not particularly fast Rolling but lovely wide

Same width as my Hans Dampf 2.35 or Nobby Nic 2.25/2.35.

mtbr member
    When sorting these suggestions just remember that he's looking for volume, but probably cant handle too much width (especially extra side tread). Even if there's frame clearance, big tires, narrow rims and rim brakes don't play nicely together.

a Thudbuster would be gold on that bike.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    When sorting these suggestions just remember that he's looking for volume, but probably cant handle too much width (especially extra side tread). Even if there's frame clearance, big tires, narrow rims and rim brakes don't play nicely together.

a Thudbuster would be gold on that bike.
    I ordered some Ikon 2.35's, hoping for the best. I'll know when they get here tomorrow.

I have thought about the Thudbuster...so has my back...sell me on it, I'm listening. They just seem like they would throw off my pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    They just seem like they would throw off my pedal stroke.
    The suspension post throws off your pedal stroke in the same way standing on the pedals over the rough stuff does. If you're looking to charge a little rock garden here or there it's probably not worth it, and the motion on the big hits does feel strange. If you want to keep speed through washboard chattery stuff the post will keep you planted with the power down.

Maybe buy a cheap knock off from Amazon to see if it meets your riding needs....if it sucks, just send it back.

mtbr member
    Remember to shim those brake pads enough to allow for some pad wear, a little tire stretch after a day or two, and a little play when the wheel goes out of true. Depending on the tire profile, clipping the side knobs might be a good option also. I've been down this road myself and had it all working well in the shop. Two days later when I got out on the trail, the tires had stretched and everything buzzed terribly when braking. When I cut the tire pressure back the sidewalls folded because of the narrow rims they were mounted to. I never got my set-up to work correctly. Maybe yours will....best K.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Remember to shim those brake pads enough to allow for some pad wear, a little tire stretch after a day or two, and a little play when the wheel goes out of true. Depending on the tire profile, clipping the side knobs might be a good option also. I've been down this road myself and had it all working well in the shop. Two days later when I got out on the trail, the tires had stretched and everything buzzed terribly when braking. When I cut the tire pressure back the sidewalls folded because of the narrow rims they were mounted to. I never got my set-up to work correctly. Maybe yours will....best K.
    Thank you for the tips - honestly if it even looks marginal or too close for comfort, I will just return them for something 2.2-ish. Iím not going to cut side knobs off, Iíll just find something else.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    It all worked out ok. Ikon 2.35, 18 IW rims, plenty of brake clearance and chain/seat stays. Would not want to go any bigger, but this is just big enough. Thank you again

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Update; the seller (Amazon Marketplace) sent me EXC (non-exo) tires, which wonít even allow for tubeless setup and are way too fragile for my day in day out useage. I am going to return them after 1 ride where I had to keep pressure at 35+ for fear of pinch flats. I did pick up an Ardent 2.4 EXO/TR locally, and had also ordered up some Stanís tubeless schraeder valves (rims are drilled that way). They were taped with Stans tape when Daveís Speed Dream laced them up, so they went on super easy and I canít be happier. Plenty of clearance even with the V-brakes, but enough extra volume and I can run them lower with the tubeless setup.