mtbr member
    May 2018

Are tubeless ready tires taller than wire bead?

I bought a set of WTB vigilante tires for my 07 Trek Fuel. The front just clears the fork brace and the rear was hitting the front of the chainstay. They're 26x2.3, the same size as the Specialized ground control that was on there. Needless to say, I had to put the old tire back on. Which has plenty of clearance. Are tubeless normally larger/taller in general? I admit I bought the wrong tires since I had no intention of running tubeless. But am afraid to order the wire bead version thinking it will be the exact same height.

Sneaker man
    Um... if you bought the SAME tyre and it was different, well that'd be something. But you bought a different tyre from a different manufacturer. In that the two companies can measure, well everything differently, eg width. but the construction will be completely different.
    SO each manufacturer will measure the width in their own way (which will also depend on the width of rim used etc etc), but they will have a height depending on whatever they decided was good for whatever reason.
    Thats not to say that a tubeless version of a tyre in non tubeless will be the same as the construction will be different (thicker sidwalls may make it stand taller), but it'd be a fair bet that if the tubeless version doesnt fit, the wire bead wont either.

Maybe if you can find the manufactures specs on the tyres may give you outer diameter or sidewall height.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I would think that since tubeless are so much more difficult to mount that at least the ID would be different. But I was thinking the same thing, they are likely too close to make it worth trying the wire bead version.
    I bought the WTB's because they had great ratings and were $25 apiece. Had no idea they would be so tall.

Sneaker man
    DOn't know about wire bead being different, I haven't, or i have tried very hard not to run wire bead tyres since like 1993 (aint nobody want wire bead tyres if you can help it).
    But I was running Conti xking racesport and switched to the protection version (tubeless) as the racesports are lovely but made of what seems like tissue paper sidewalls, it's possible the tyre is higher, maybe, but I did notice that the tyre is much narrower. Not so much in the tread area, that seems the same, but the much stiffer/thicker sidewall the protection tyre isnt as bulbous as the racesport version. Which is good as the sidewall is much thicker so doesnt tear as easily, with the bonus of not being so wide it doesnt get cut on rocks, double win.
    All the gear and no idea.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    The sizing is fairly arbitrary and is specific to the manufacturer, the rim width, and the tire itself. I don't think folding vs. wire is the issue, it's just that there's no consistency across manufacturers, or even sometimes just between same spec'd tires from the same manufacturer. I think there are some threads here of actual measured width and height of a number of different tires, that should help a lot.

My 2.3 Hans Dampf's are absolutely massive compared to some Maxxis 2.3's I have on another bike.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...