mtbr member
    Mar 2011

thoughts on a 2004 S-works

Hey guys, I recently bought a older trek fuel for my son. While I was there The guy offered me a bunch of spare parts and a 2004 S-works frame he use to race. The frame is actually in really good shape almost no scratches however the brain shock is blown which he did tell me about. However with all of the parts he gave me I only really needed tires, and a chain to put it back together. I did take it for a ride tonight and the bike rode good with the exception of slight bobbing without the functioning brain.
    Now for the real question.
    Do I throw $175 into having the brain rebuilt at Risse Racing since they are the only place that works on these old fox brains or put everything up on Ebay as parts and double my money?
    How would this bike compare to my current ride which is an old school GT LTS which I still love as I bought it brand new in 96 and have never had to put any $ into it other then normal maintenance. Oh and I did put a Manitou Minute on it back in 2010.
    97 GT LTS

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Or sell the brain shock on ebay as-is and put a new Manitou or Fox Float on it.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    +1 on just replace it with a current shock. You need to figure out the eye to eye length and the stroke length, and may need to install different bushings for the frame pivot bolts, which is super easy. I got a nearly new Fox RP23 for like $50 about a year ago for a build I was doing.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    pretty sure that model had the side/seatstay mounted shock on it didn't it? You won't be replacing that with a modern shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Is it like this? Then a regular shock will fit.

thoughts on a 2004 S-works-993752d1433534619-price-check-2004-s-works-enduro-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    here is a Picture off the net... No replacing this with a modern one.
    http://www.custombikesbuilding.com/i...ized/bike4.jpg
    97 GT LTS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Id spend the $175 if you will actually get use out of the bike. I had one of those epics and had a lot of fun on it.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfjon View Post
    here is a Picture off the net... No replacing this with a modern one.
    http://www.custombikesbuilding.com/i...ized/bike4.jpg
    Oh, those...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    Id spend the $175 if you will actually get use out of the bike. I had one of those epics and had a lot of fun on it.
    That's why i am going back and forth.. I have my GT and right now its fine riding singletrack with my son. I would definitely like something a little newer with wider bars and softer suspension since I am not in the shape I once was. its crazy how expense a decent FS bike has gotten.
    97 GT LTS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The epic isn't going to offer you any softer suspension than the GT, mine acted like a hardtail most of the time and takes the edges of hits. Neither bike comes close to the performance of a modern full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In that case I may just part the thing out since looking on Ebay its worth more in parts then a whole.
    Or just sell the frame and see if I can find a newer 26" frame.
    97 GT LTS

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any recomendations on a good modern geometry FS frameset that I should start looking for?
    97 GT LTS

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Any recomendations on a good modern geometry FS frameset that I should start looking for?
    Are you going to try and use the 26" wheelset you were going to use for the epic?

Most FS frames after around 2009 are going to have what is referred to modern geometry. At the same time there's virtually nothing being made in 26", so I would look for used 26in frames in the 2010 - 2013 range. Santa cruz has some great ones but other mainstream brands do as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yes I have a Mavic Crossmax wheelset 100mm rockshox fork plus everything else to build up something newer. Hopefully I can pull enough for the frame plus toss in the $175 I would have spent for the shock to get something 09 and up.
    97 GT LTS

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Yes I have a Mavic Crossmax wheelset 100mm rockshox fork plus everything else to build up something newer. Hopefully I can pull enough for the frame plus toss in the $175 I would have spent for the shock to get something 09 and up.
    Something like the SC superlight 3 would work well, may be a tough find though. https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en...e/superlight/3

The biggest issue is the 100mm fork limits you quite a bit. I would look to see what bikes were being offered in 26in and 100mm travel in that time frame. Probably good idea to have some patience and setup up alerts on ebay and watch pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fork are also easy to sell or swap but obviously the more I keep the better off I am.
    97 GT LTS

mtbr member
    If it doesn’t have super plusboost it won’t work right?

mtbr member
    Plusooster

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    2008-2010 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Some of the Chinese carbon people make 26" carbon frames, check them out too

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I may have a chance to trade frames with an 07 Santa Cruz Blur XC. Anyone have opinions on that bike. I know all my parts will move right over and according to bluebook the values are comparable..
    I do like the the newer 5010's but they are out of my price range at the moment.
    97 GT LTS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I may have a chance to trade frames with an 07 Santa Cruz Blur XC. Anyone have opinions on that bike. I know all my parts will move right over and according to bluebook the values are comparable..
    I do like the the newer 5010's but they are out of my price range at the moment.

I've owned a few first generation vpp frames, not the blur xc though. I can say the pivots on the first gens weren't the best. The lower pivot axles tended to creak, lower bearing life was poor, and removing the axles and bearings was a pain. Second get vpp was a big improvement. Easy to service and rarely needed anything. They changed the axle design and added grease nipples for a reason. I'm not saying you won't have a good experience, just saying a lot of people including myself had issues with early vpp. Considering the deals going on many vpp2 frames I don't see much incentive to go with vpp1.

If you really want a 5010, wait for a blur trc, blur tr, or blur LT to pop up. Killer deals are out there. I scored a trc frame for pennies. My advice is sell what you've got and shop for something closer to what you really want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ended up swapping the guy so at least for now I am back up and riding.
    It ended up being a 05 Blur classic not the XC.. So from what I can tell the frame is a little heavier/beefier. shock was fine and all my parts swapped right over. This way I can ride a little bit different bike for a while re gain some experience I have lost form not riding woods for a while. then put this one up for sale once I know a little more of what I truly want in a bike.
    FYI Santa Cruz will be in my area next week with a demo days so I plan on hitting that up with my son to try out the newer bikes. Unfortunately they do not list the 5010 for that ride but they do have the bronson.
    97 GT LTS

mtbr member
    Congrats...sounds like a good plan and you are back on the trail having fun riding. Last I knew, that's the ultimate objective! I had a 2001 Fuel 98, then SC Heckler (26") and both were great for 'period'. But compared to new Kona Process 153 (27.5) I have now there is a huge difference in geo and feel. Still have the Heckler and recently transitioned from 3X9 to 1X9. Since getting Kona it's been on the rack and not getting any trail time.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...