mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Suggestions for upgrades?

Suggestions for upgrades?-screen-shot-2018-06-27-12.19.52-am.jpg

I just got this Breezer Thunder from the mid-90s. Right now it's set up with Deore XT front and rear derailleurs, Suntour XC Comp brakes, Deore LX hubs, Ritchey ForceLite bars, Ritchey stem and seat post, and Continental X King tires. This is going to be my wife's bike for now. She'd like to do some light riding--some single-track, dirt roads and some gravel. I'm thinking some shocks for the front-end? But what other suggestions would anyone have for some decent upgrades?

mtbr member
    Maybe a seat and post for comforts sake. It would be fun to convert the bike to single speed and ride it as-is.

Don't pour money into a bike that old.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Personally, I wouldn't change anything. Just ride it as is. If she wants to upgrade to a more modern suspension bike later, get a different bike. That thing is almost 100% complete and original, I wouldn't mess that up.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah, I was thinking it would be cool to keep it as is. The early 90s is when I really got into biking. So it's really cool for me to see these bikes still being ridden. Do you know what the bike is missing to make it 100% complete?

mtbr member
    Most certainly leave as it is. It's a lovely vintage mtb. Ride and enjoy. If i was to replace parts then get period correct parts. Certainly would fit sudser forks. It wasn't made for them. You will change the angles and spoil the ride.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by labland View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking it would be cool to keep it as is. The early 90s is when I really got into biking. So it's really cool for me to see these bikes still being ridden. Do you know what the bike is missing to make it 100% complete?
    It may literally just be the tires and brakes, but it wasn't uncommon for some swapped parts in the same builds from a number of manufacturers in the 90's, so could be 100% original but the tires. Not 100% sure on the year, but their catalogs are still available: Breezer

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    While there is nothing wrong with leaving the bike as is -there would be nothing wrong with upgrading the brakes to V-brakes... much better braking, and still kind of period correct, yet better safety.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for all of your help!

mtbr member
    If it were my bike, I would swap the canti-brakes for V-brakes and new levers and I'd swap the grip-shifters for triggers. I hate grip-shifters, V-brakes will be a lot more effective and the parts won't cost too much.

I wouldn't do anything else, just not worth it.

Tyres are not original by the way and they look very good from the picture. In fact the whole bike looks pretty fresh.

mtbr member
    I'm in the, "don't do anything" camp as well. It appears to be in pretty vintage shape. Tune it up, make sure everything works well and just ride it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, get a charger spoon saddle that matches and ride that bike. V-brakes maybe, but the front end is so low a stronger front brake is kind of dangerous. I run v's on my bridgestone and it has tossed me on my back a few times.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Yeah, get a charger spoon saddle that matches and ride that bike. V-brakes maybe, but the front end is so low a stronger front brake is kind of dangerous. I run v's on my bridgestone and it has tossed me on my back a few times.
    It's funny, I sometimes think people forget that braking with the front on older bikes, even with just decent canti's was a precarious scenario. Bigger front rotors these days, but I'm pretty sure I went years without ever touching the front for my own well being.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you want to take a bit of the edge off for her a suspension seat post doesn't cost much and they make a new style flex stem that gravel and cross riders are using that would take some of the jarring out of the picture. Otherwise I would leave it alone, looks cool, I remember when those bikes ruled our state series.

mtbr member

Good job!

Dump the twist Shifters and Romp some Cheap used Vintage XT Rapid-Fire Shifters, XT M737/739 V-Brakes and levers.

Maybe a seat? Though if it's comfy? Leave it be
    94 Zaskar LE, !996 Redline PL-24, 2012 GT 29r