mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Specialized Hardrock Pro

I was recently looking for a good deal on a used bike and found this one. Not sure if the year model or actual value, but it just set me back a hundred bucks. Iím going to have to do a tuneup, but rides okay as is. I put a new stem on it and it needs new pedals as well. It has Deore rear 7 speed and Alivio from derailleur and Alivio shifters. Judy fork and Deore disk brakes.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Are you positive it's 7 speed? These should be 8sp+ since at least 2000.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    I think this is a late 90s model. I have the early 2000 model, and it's different. That fork was not on the early 2000s, nor was that paint scheme.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice ride for a great price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I had one of those, it was yellow, rim brakes. I found it in a dumpster in my apt complex about 7years ago. Needed a tune up and new cables. I gave it to a friend who still rides it today. $100 is worth it!

mtbr member
    Yeah, well worth the money if it's in decent condition. What sort of riding are you planning on using it for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My first ride was a 2004 Hardrock Sport. I dropped mine to flat, and abused it and it took every thing with a smile with the frame begging for more. Nice steal of a deal. Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Thatís an Ď02 Hardrock Pro...prior to Ď02, the top and down tubes were not tapered. Not bad for $100. Strange that itís a 21sp and not a 24sp though. My dad had the exact same model.... same lettering, just a different color scheme.

mtbr member
    deleted, had to copy/paste into a new reply
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/...nd=Specialized &model=Hardrock

For the year of this one, I'm guessing 1999, maybe 2000. Count the largest cog teeth, if it's 32 it's 1999/2000. This had Shimano Alivio (not Deore, Deore is 9-speed). The Deore may be an upgrade but that's not good to mix 9-speed drivetrain components with 7-speed freewheels (so I've heard...). If that actually works I'd like to go 2x9 with Deore instead of 3x7, if anyone has successfully done that conversion.

There supposedly was no 2002 model. 2003 had Shimano Acera and a real 8-speed cassette. It also had an RST Capa fork not Judy. The Judy appears to be an aftermarket upgrade (the 1999/2000 model had an in-home sourced Specialized fork).

As for freewheels past the year 2000, companies are STILL making 7-speeds with freewheels. Brand-new bikes. Even Giant (Revel 2). They just are not advertised, they are instead in the back of their website, in the "recreational bike" webpages, kind of like the adult behavior section is in the back of the classified ad magazines. In other words an embarrassment, but they still sell.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    History lesson - not all 7 speeds were freewheels.
    When 7 speeds were 'the thing', most mountain bikes other than very entry-level machines came with 7 speed cassettes. I still have a number of wheels built around 7-speed freehubs. You can run a 7 speed cassette on an an 8-9-10 speed carrier with a spacer behind the cassette. You won't have much luck trying to put an 8-9-10 cassette on a 7-speed carrier though; take up a little too much room.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    History lesson - not all 7 speeds were freewheels.
    When 7 speeds were 'the thing', most mountain bikes other than very entry-level machines came with 7 speed cassettes. I still have a number of wheels built around 7-speed freehubs. You can run a 7 speed cassette on an an 8-9-10 speed carrier with a spacer behind the cassette. You won't have much luck trying to put an 8-9-10 cassette on a 7-speed carrier though; take up a little too much room.
    I plan on doing this later when my two back fixed hubs wear out; buy a freehub wheel in back and put on a 7-speed cassette, 11-34. And yes I read that some freewheels are (were) 8-speeds, so there is some overlap with cassettes.

It's too bad 7/8 speeds can't go 2x, I'd love to do that but the front chainrings are all designed for 9-speed or higher chains. If you know of a good crankset where someone could manually put on a 24t and 34-38t set of 7/8 speed chainrings it should work, correct?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ran 7/8 speed bikes 1x and 2x all the time.
    Not sure why you don't think it works. ???
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I plan on doing this later when my two back fixed hubs wear out; buy a freehub wheel in back and put on a 7-speed cassette, 11-34. And yes I read that some freewheels are (were) 8-speeds, so there is some overlap with cassettes.

It's too bad 7/8 speeds can't go 2x, I'd love to do that but the front chainrings are all designed for 9-speed or higher chains. If you know of a good crankset where someone could manually put on a 24t and 34-38t set of 7/8 speed chainrings it should work, correct?
    The 7 speed chain has wider spacing and fits fine on the narrower 9speed chainrings. If you go that route, use a steel 24t (or 26t ) and then a 32 or 34t middle. The closer the ratio, the better the shifting will be.

Getting that bike with a Judy on the front was a score for what you paid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sorry for the delay. Itís an 8-speed. Counted with a beer in my hand. 😬

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kg4kpg View Post
    Sorry for the delay. Itís an 8-speed. Counted with a beer in my hand. 😬
    That's good for future upgrades if you decide to do them.
    The hub will fit 8 9 or 10 speed cassettes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Getting that bike with a Judy on the front was a score for what you paid.
    Ehh...might just be a Judy TT, which weren't anything special.

Even if it's a 'nice' Judy, the plastic damping cartridge is likely blown if it's been used offroad at all. Or will be. Those things didn't hold up to much unless you replaced some guts.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Great frame, I rode one forever, racing everything from XC to DH with it and never killed it. Got back into MTB recently after being out for like 10 years and only retired it because it is too small (got it when I was like 13, I'm 29 now!).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No, I had a 2012 Hardrock that was a 21 speed with a narrow freehub and a 7 speed Shimano cassette.