mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Something broke in the rear hub

Good evening everyone, I was riding my bike tonight and all the sudden the pedals started spinning "no go no more". Anyway I figured something broke inside the hub so I tried to take the hub apart but there must be a special tool for the small round nuts. Does anyone know what the special tool is. Thank you

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pics would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Depending on what your bike is equipped with either your freehub or freewheel is broken.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bike? Hmmm. Lots of details there. Photo might be helpful. Year, make, model and size REALLY helpful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I will take a pick of the round nuts, that I need to remove because the brake is inside the hub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Sorry for my ignorance not sure what you are telling me, can you explain a bit more. Thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Getting picks now. 2004 Giant NRS2 medium

mtbr member
    The brake is inside the hub? This sounding ominous ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The NRS had rim brakes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syphen View Post
    Ah.. the break inside the hub! ;0)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    OP, your best bet in this case is to take it to your preferred local bike shop. Without knowing how to properly disassemble your hub so that you can begin to investigate the freehub body (which isn't "easily" rebuildable), you are going to end up at the bike shop anyway when you can't get the hub reassembled.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by syphen View Post
    Funny, mine didn't and it was only 2002. OP's bike is 2004...whoa, just looked it up. Giant took a step backwards.

Also, hub details are scarce on bikepedia. It's listed as "Aluminum disc Q/R". Probably some generic OEM hub assuming it's still stock. Could be just about anything by now.

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Giant took a step backwards.
    I believe there's a meme for this somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    I believe there's a meme for this somewhere.
    Wouldn't be the first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So I went to my local shop. The Shimano hub is not rebuild able or it just does not make any sense to do it. Anyway the tool is an HG cassette lockring tool and you also need a chain whip to hold the cassette. In the end it makes more sense to buy a new rim with a new Shimano hub and just use the tools to replace the old cassette. Price wise a lot cheaper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So I changed all the parts to the new rim and its working like a champ. This thought me a great deal about the system so I'm wondering can I change the system to a 1X11?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You can use a shimano 11speed mountain style cassette. if you want to run an "XD driver" system that requires a different freehub body. Also, shifter and derailleur and chain, etc. etc.

I applaud you attempting to take it apart to fix it. It is the best way to learn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    First thank you, I love learning and this has been a great experience, I was having shifting problems and now I have it all tuned in. Sorry for my ignorance but by 11speed mountain style do you mean 1 front 11 back (cassette) or 3 front 11 back? Right now it's a 3 front 9 back. I was hoping I could make it like the new bikes, I understand I would need to change shifters, derailer, front drive and back cassette. Thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    11 speed mountain style refers to 2x11 or 1x11 drivetrains. 3x11 isn't an option. No derailleur is made that is sufficiently long enough to take up the huge variance in chain length you would need in order to clear all the cogs.

You could make it 2x11 with a new crankset, front and rear derailleur, front and rear shifters, and 11 speed cassette. To go 1x11 you would just have to replace the cassette, rear derailleur, rear shifter, and maybe the crankset. If the crankset and bottom bracket work fine and have acceptable chainline (49-50mm, the distance of the center of the middle chainring from the center of the bottom bracket) you may be able to keep them and just buy a narrow-wide chainring.

If you want to use a Shimano or Sunrace 11 speed cassette it will mount on the wheel you already have as it uses a standard freehub, which is what a 9 speed cassette bolts onto. If you wanted to use a SRAM cassette you would need to see if you can get an XD driver, which requires a different freehub body as Jason said. The SRAM cassette uses a 10 tooth small cog instead of an 11 tooth small cog like all other cassettes, so it gives you a slightly wider range of gearing compared to Shimano/Sunrace cassettes. They might not make an XD driver for your wheel though, we would have to know what brand and model hub you have. An XD driver also uses a different lockring tool, so keep that in mind if you are going to do the work yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    3x11 isn't an option. No derailleur is made that is sufficiently long enough to take up the huge variance in chain length you would need in order to clear all the cogs.
    Sorry, what? Pretty sure if they make a crank, the derailleur will work with it. Is it the most common setup? No, but don't make stuff up.

FC-M8000-3

Something broke in the rear hub-fc-m8000-3.png

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry, my mistake. Did not know that 3x XT was a thing. It has been a while since I looked into 11 speed drivetrains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    First of all, thank you for all the great info. Here are some picks of the current equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Something broke in the rear hub-20170520_080936-1.jpg  

Something broke in the rear hub-20170520_080903-1.jpg  

Something broke in the rear hub-20170520_080852-1.jpg  

Something broke in the rear hub-20170520_080831-1.jpg  

Class Clown
    3x isn't going anywhere

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Sorry, what? Pretty sure if they make a crank, the derailleur will work with it. Is it the most common setup? No, but don't make stuff up.

FC-M8000-3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC-M8000-3.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	1137972
    Actually not, going 3x front means narrowing the range of the rear instead. Derailluers can't handle 11-46 rear and 3x spacing up front. 3x is doable just have to choose between a normal cassette and 3x or wide range cassette and not 3x.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

Dave's not here.
    I run a single 42t chainring with a 11-42t cassette using a M8000-GS (medium cage) rear derailleur on my road bike without any issue. I can't see any reason why a long cage RD won't be able handle 3x11 with a 11-42t cassette. I also don't think a 11-46t cassette would be needed in a 3x setup.
    Last edited by MiWolverine; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Craig

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    It would depend on gear spacing.

22t granny and 42 big ring is taking up 20t of the capacity right there.

The size of a 1x front chainring has no bearing what the RD can handle. 22t or 102t. All about how much slack the RD can take up, so it's differences in spacing at each end.

So a 3x on the avg spacing of 24-34-42 is 18t of the RD capacity.

Then 11-42, so another 31t.

So RD would need the capacity to handle 49t. Or in links of chain, 24.5 links.

Not saying it can't be done or new long cage RDs can't do it, I haven't looked. But to figure out what's possible the differences at both ends have to be taken into account. For a 1x system the only thing that matters is the cassette.

www.rakcindustries.com

Dave's not here.
    M8000-SGS has a total capacity of 49t. If someone were to use a 3x crank with 42-32-22t chainrings and an 11-40t cassette, it puts it right on that capacity. (42-22)+(40-11)=49. I am sure there have been people who have used rear derailleurs beyond capacity and have been fine. Even going with a 44-32-22t 3x setup with a 11-42t cassette may work.
    Craig

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Talk about some rediculous gear range lol.

Though the guys that ride in the mountains I could see making use of it. I run 1x on all my bikes but always understood the need for some really wide range.

And till now I didn't even know new 11s was available in 3x (for new cranksets). Good to see they arent eliminating everything for what's in style now.

www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    I am sure there have been people who have used rear derailleurs beyond capacity and have been fine.
    Yip, done it several times. You can usually go a few teeth over with no ill effects at all. If you go maybe four teeth over it might still work, as long as you can get the thing to clear the big cog. What you might get is the cage folding and the chain rubbing on the small gear if you're on the small ring and the front but in practice you're never going to ride small-small so it's still fine.

Basically, you just try it. If it works it works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Sorry for my ignorance what is 11-42t cassette are these the amount of teeth on the smallest sprocket to the biggest?
    Is this still 11 of them?

I guess I have not explain correctly. Let me see if I can do better.
    Front (1) only one sprocket
    Rear (11) or what ever is the best i can do (10)

I hope this makes more sense
    thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Sorry for my ignorance what is 11-42t cassette are these the amount of teeth on the smallest sprocket to the biggest?
    Is this still 11 of them?

I guess I have not explain correctly. Let me see if I can do better.
    Front (1) only one sprocket
    Rear (11) or what ever is the best i can do (10)

I hope this makes more sense
    thank you very much.

I run a single 42t chainring with a 11-42t cassette using a M8000-GS (medium cage) rear derailleur on my road bike without any issue. I can't see any reason why a long cage RD won't be able handle 3x11 with a 11-42t cassette. I also don't think a 11-46t cassette would be needed in a 3x setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thank you very much awesome info. Have to be said, it's like going back to school and loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    It would depend on gear spacing.

22t granny and 42 big ring is taking up 20t of the capacity right there.

The size of a 1x front chainring has no bearing what the RD can handle. 22t or 102t. All about how much slack the RD can take up, so it's differences in spacing at each end.

So a 3x on the avg spacing of 24-34-42 is 18t of the RD capacity.

Then 11-42, so another 31t.

So RD would need the capacity to handle 49t. Or in links of chain, 24.5 links.

Not saying it can't be done or new long cage RDs can't do it, I haven't looked. But to figure out what's possible the differences at both ends have to be taken into account. For a 1x system the only thing that matters is the cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Starting to understand the dynamics at work here, very nice. Thank you for the info. I was to do a 1 front and it sound like it should be ok as long as it can handle the chain setup to the 11x42t or what ever the back ends up being.

again thank you.

M8000-SGS has a total capacity of 49t. If someone were to use a 3x crank with 42-32-22t chainrings and an 11-40t cassette, it puts it right on that capacity. (42-22)+(40-11)=49. I am sure there have been people who have used rear derailleurs beyond capacity and have been fine. Even going with a 44-32-22t 3x setup with a 11-42t cassette may work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Did you mod your bike from a different setup? aka 3x9 sprockets like what i have to a 1x11 sprockets like what I would like to have. I would like to remove the 3 sprockets in the front to remove having to deal with chain drops and constant tuning it up. At the same time I want the range of gears so I thought 11 in the rear makes sense to have those easy gears when you have to do the hills.

thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Talk about some rediculous gear range lol.

Though the guys that ride in the mountains I could see making use of it. I run 1x on all my bikes but always understood the need for some really wide range.

And till now I didn't even know new 11s was available in 3x (for new cranksets). Good to see they arent eliminating everything for what's in style now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Now that I know it can be done, what do you guys recommend.

Here is what I think the conses is so far;
    a 1 front not sure about the teeth
    a 11 speed 42T rear.
    Need to change the rear shifter
    Need to remove the front shifter and Derailleur

By the way it's a 2004 Giant NRS 2
    Shift Levers Shimano Deore RapidFire
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX, top-pull/clamp-on 35.0mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Crankset Race Face Ride XC ISIS, 22/34/44 teeth
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
    Chain 1/2 x 3/32"

Thank you all for the information so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    @ernestovr -- Your best option for parts and converting would be to get a WolfTooth or RaceFace narrow wide chainring in either a 30 or 32T for your 104BCD crankset. For the back of the bike, I would suggest SRAM GX/NX 10 or 11 speed derailleurs (both of these will work with a cassette with 42T). You will need to get the SRAM shifter to match the derailleur as well.

Your existing Shimano XT 9 speed derailleur will not work with 10 or 11 speeds, and most certainly not with anything bigger than 36T in the back.

If you like the feel of shimano shifters (my wife prefers it to SRAM feel), then get a SLX M7000 shifter, rear derailleur, and 11-46T cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thank you great info. Question will SRAM fit in a shimano rear rim? I have started looking at part and here is what I have so far.

Race Face Single Ring MTB Crank - 32T $109.99
    Shimano ZEE Crankset - 83mm $110.00
    SRAM GX-1400 1x X-Sync 32T Crankset - GXP $194.99

Shimano Deore XT CS-M8000 11-Speed Cassette - 11-42 $95.99 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-37-42
    Shimano Deore XT CS-M8000 11-speed Cassette - 11-40 $95.99 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-27-31-35-40
    Shimano Deore XT CS-M8000 Cassette - 11-46T $109.99

Shimano 105 5800 Rear Derailleur - GS 11 speed $53.99
    Shimano 105 5800 Rear Derailleur - SS 11 speed $48.99

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    @ernestovr -- Your best option for parts and converting would be to get a WolfTooth or RaceFace narrow wide chainring in either a 30 or 32T for your 104BCD crankset. For the back of the bike, I would suggest SRAM GX/NX 10 or 11 speed derailleurs (both of these will work with a cassette with 42T). You will need to get the SRAM shifter to match the derailleur as well.

Your existing Shimano XT 9 speed derailleur will not work with 10 or 11 speeds, and most certainly not with anything bigger than 36T in the back.

If you like the feel of shimano shifters (my wife prefers it to SRAM feel), then get a SLX M7000 shifter, rear derailleur, and 11-46T cassette.

it's....
    Before you go and spend too much, do the simple conversion first and see if you like it.
    Keep everything as is, but remove the front derailleur/shifter and the 3 chain rings off the cranks.
    Then just buy a 32t narrow-wide chain ring and shorten chain to fit.
    That's it, and you'll have 1x9 to ride around and see if you like going 1x.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Wow ok I had no idea I could do that. I mean I knew I could but I thought something would go wrong. OK I will do that, so buy a 32t and install it cool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Can I use my old 34t for now?

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestovr View Post
    Can I use my old 34t for now?
    If it's a singlespeed ring it will work, but chain may jump off on rough trails without a retention device.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    In that case I will get a 32t, for the initial test. Thank you