mtbr member
    Dec 2017

should i keep riding the 3x or upgrade it to 1x?

as you read in the title i want to upgrade to 1x, just one problem my cranks are riveted so i cant do it that way, plus my shiftier and brake are integrated. i still want to do it so my question is can i do it under 100$ and if so will it be worth it? i want your guys option on it. (also if you have a qr cassette hub you dont want ill take it off your hands as well)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails should i keep riding the 3x or upgrade it to 1x?-20180627_100029.jpg  

should i keep riding the 3x or upgrade it to 1x?-20180627_100056.jpg  

should i keep riding the 3x or upgrade it to 1x?-20180627_095909.jpg  

Hardtail Steel Forever
    It would be difficult to get under $100 IMO. Do you have 8 speeds in the back, I couldn't tell from the picture?

You could look for an older XT or LX derailleur and crankset, and get a pair of avid FR5 brake levers. With a new narrow wide ring, I think it might still be really tough to get the cost down that much though.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    It would be difficult to get under $100 IMO. Do you have 8 speeds in the back, I couldn't tell from the picture?

You could look for an older XT or LX derailleur and crankset, and get a pair of avid FR5 brake levers. With a new narrow wide ring, I think it might still be really tough to get the cost down that much though.
    its a 7speed freewheel, im thinking on just looking around for a used square tapered crankset. then just spending 30$ on a new narrowwide.

mtbr member
    Not trying to be a dick, but I would get an entire new bike.

You need a new... everything. You can get a significant upgrade for a very good price these days, used.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Not trying to be a dick, but I would get an entire new bike.

You need a new... everything. You can get a significant upgrade for a very good price these days, used.
    Yea I see what you mean, I use the bike to go from school and back, everything's worn out on it that's why I want to go 1x on the cheap. Plus this is my beat the #$%# out of it bike. That's why the stem is lower than my moral.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    what year is that thing? early nineties? putting out any money, time or thought is wasted. keep it for a commuter & get another complete used bike. what could you afford?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by merk20 View Post
    Yea I see what you mean, I use the bike to go from school and back, everything's worn out on it that's why I want to go 1x on the cheap. Plus this is my beat the #$%# out of it bike. That's why the stem is lower than my moral.
    As others have said, save for a nice used bike and keep this as your runaround bike. I ride a 3X with the big ring replaced with a bash guard and I miss nothing, so if your current drive train is fine, let it be. Save your money and use it towards another bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Close, 2005 I got it for free, I already have a 2017 cannondale cujo 1. so i dont need another bike.
    Last edited by merk20; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    As others have said, save for a nice used bike and keep this as your runaround bike. I ride a 3X with the big ring replaced with a bash guard and I miss nothing, so if your current drive train is fine, let it be. Save your money and use it towards another bike.
    yea i think i will just keep it as is, thanks everyone who commented on this subject.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Personally I don't see 1x as an upgrade, I like having the wider range of gears. If your shifters are worn out , new grip shifters are next to nothing price wise.

mtbr member
    Id second this. Keep the gears and get them back to a good working shape.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical_53 View Post
    Id second this. Keep the gears and get them back to a good working shape.
    I'd second not going 1x or doing anything with it except running it into the ground. For the cost to bring it back to life if the gears are toast you can easily pick up another fully functional beater.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

should i keep riding the 3x or upgrade it to 1x?

If the gears are bad, how about keeping it simple and convert it to single speed?
    Last edited by j102; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Only the third chainring is bad
    It has a couple of teeth shaved off everything else is practicly new, heck even the chain isn't worn past .5 yet. I would like a ss bike it would be impossible to find a conversion kit for a freewheel.

Part Scavenger
    Jun 2018
    I love my 05 boulder. I run 1x on it, but then again we have a co-op that gives free parts in my town, so I bought my frame for $5 and built it ground up from free parts lol.should i keep riding the 3x or upgrade it to 1x?-20180602_153214.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by karddet View Post
    I love my 05 boulder. I run 1x on it, but then again we have a co-op that gives free parts in my town, so I bought my frame for $5 and built it ground up from free parts lol.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180602_153214.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	1205538
    Nice build! That's what I want to do but my budget can't afford it right now. Plus the frame is 2 sizes smaller than what I usually ride. (I'm 6ft 2)

Part Scavenger
    Jun 2018
    I also always seem to find bike in dumpsters or advertised for free on CL or Facebook marketplace. Good for stealing parts off of. Just keep your eye out for that special frame and stockpile parts while you wait. And upgrade that giant until you get a new frame, then move the components over.

mtbr member
    Keep the 3 never know when you will need the extra. Why limit your self to one? Gears are good. Makes life easy.