Thread: Salty Weather

mtbr member

Salty Weather

Good morning!
    I would like to post my first question as a forum member. I have recently purchased a Diamondback 26" Response (used). All other bikes I have ridden over the years have been Wal-Mart brand and I basically wasn't to worried about what would happen to the bike. The question I have with this one is, when i travel to the beach on vacation and carry the bike with me, will the salt air damage the bike in any way?

Thanks!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by 23weeman23 View Post
    Good morning!
    I would like to post my first question as a forum member. I have recently purchased a Diamondback 26" Response (used). All other bikes I have ridden over the years have been Wal-Mart brand and I basically wasn't to worried about what would happen to the bike. The question I have with this one is, when i travel to the beach on vacation and carry the bike with me, will the salt air damage the bike in any way?

Thanks!
    It shouldn't be a problem just wash it with soapy water every week or so or immediately if you actually get saltwater on it. I'd actually be more concerned about the sand as far as short term damage goes.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Thank you! My concern was sand as well, especially with the disc brakes. This is the first bike I have had with these.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 23weeman23 View Post
    Thank you! My concern was sand as well, especially with the disc brakes. This is the first bike I have had with these.
    Sand won't be much of an issue for the brakes. It's more problematic for moving drivetrain parts and poorly sealed bearings. Same as for salt, really.

How much of an issue salt will be will depend on a lot of things. If you actually get it in ocean water at any point, you'll want to wash it that day for sure. If it's windy with lots of salt spray, that will make you want to clean it off a bit more often.

Mudhorse
    A bit of sea spray won't do any permanent damage to disc brakes, but it'll make them squeal so much you'll feel the vibrations through your butt. Salt contamination can also make them weaker and (paradoxically) a bit snatchy. Dunno about V-brakes, it's been a few years since I've used those by the sea. Mud is what eats pads and discs/rims - I can destroy a set of organic pads in about 10 hours of winter riding. Sintered pads last a bit longer.

Much of my regular riding is along the coast. I try to keep off the dry sand, or if that's not possible then at least slow right down so it doesn't get kicked up into my drivetrain, but that aside it doesn't give me any issues that a post-ride rinse and a well-lubed drivetrain won't cure. After all, mud is just sand with a bit of compost mixed in, and my bike sees plenty of that.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Great! I know it was a bit of a crazy question, but better safe than sorry!