mtbr member
    May 2018

Rock Shox Recon Silver TK vs Manitou Markhor 26"

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a new suspension fork for my 26" XC-hardtail. The original fork, a Rock Shox Recon SL Air with 100 mm of travel from 2010 sadly broke down.

My system weight is about 220-200 lbs.

The 26”-Hardtail is my second bike. For this reason, I want to spend as little money as possible. Therefore, I have selected the following models:

• Rock Shox Recon Silver TK 26" Solo Air 100
    • Manitou Markhor 26" - 100mm - Straight – QR

Is the Recon Silver from 2018 comparable to the old Recon from the year 2010?

I have read that the manitou has a better damper installed. Considering my system weight: is the 30mm stanchion sufficient?

Thank you!

Sneaker man
    I'd go Manitou
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    The recon - kids bike has a 29" version - is nice but very XC and also meant for smaller things. It is hard to get a good balance between good small bump compliance and ability to take a good size hit. The Manitou - like most manitous! - will be good on the small stuff and take the big hits pretty well. You will rarely get full travel (always a few mm less) and if that bothers you - choose something else.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Can you rebuild the recon?
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the Rockshox Recon Silver TK air and I can say I've been pretty pleased with it. I don't have any experience with the Manitou but they generally make good stuff from what I understand. For a second bike I'd probably go with whichever is cheapest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    I have the Rockshox Recon Silver TK air and I can say I've been pretty pleased with it. I don't have any experience with the Manitou but they generally make good stuff from what I understand. For a second bike I'd probably go with whichever is cheapest.
    Same here... have a Recon (on an XC), but no Manitou experience. Although the Recon Silver TK is commonly sold as a 100mm travel fork, it's simple to remove the spaces to go to 120mm, if needed.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thank you very much for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Can you rebuild the recon?
    I think it makes no sense. After a crash, there are some deep scratches on the stanchions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    TThe Manitou - like most manitous! - will be good on the small stuff and take the big hits pretty well.
    Do you think the stiffness of the manitou is high enough for my system weight? Then I would prefer the Markhor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esteban88 View Post

I think it makes no sense. After a crash, there are some deep scratches on the stanchions.

Do you think the stiffness of the manitou is high enough for my system weight? Then I would prefer the Markhor
    It might not be. Those 30mm stanchions with a QR would make me nervous. How did you get along with your old Recon?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Hardtail Steel Forever

That makes sense. Do you have an approximate budget? I might at least look for a used but good condition Fox float or maybe a RS AM fork with larger stanchions. I don't think you'll go wrong with either the recon or the markhor, but you may be able to find a better lightly used fork for the same price though.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a new suspension fork for my 26" XC-hardtail. The original fork, a Rock Shox Recon SL Air with 100 mm of travel from 2010 sadly broke down.

My system weight is about 220-200 lbs.

The 26”-Hardtail is my second bike. For this reason, I want to spend as little money as possible. Therefore, I have selected the following models:

• Rock Shox Recon Silver TK 26" Solo Air 100
    • Manitou Markhor 26" - 100mm - Straight – QR

Is the Recon Silver from 2018 comparable to the old Recon from the year 2010?

I have read that the manitou has a better damper installed. Considering my system weight: is the 30mm stanchion sufficient?

Thank you!
    I don't think so. They've been redesigned and from someone else's post here on MTBR the threads on the damper assembly are different for sure.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    It might not be. Those 30mm stanchions with a QR would make me nervous. How did you get along with your old Recon?
    Well, I was happy with it…. in the past I drove on nearly every trail and the fork did her job. But after buying my new fully with Fox suspension, the hardtail is only used for easy trails. With the old Recon, I never had the feeling that the handling is soft or weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I don't think so. They've been redesigned and from someone else's post here on MTBR the threads on the damper assembly are different for sure.
    So the performance of the new Recon is worse than the old one?

My budget is up to 250€ (300 USD). Up to now, I was searching only for new forks. I have some doubts about buying a used, maybe 5 year old, fork

mtbr member
    Well, I was happy with it…. in the past I drove on nearly every trail and the fork did her job. But after buying my new fully with Fox suspension, the hardtail is only used for easy trails. With the old Recon, I never had the feeling that the handling is soft or weak.

So the performance of the new Recon is worse than the old one?

My budget is up to 250€ (300 USD). Up to now, I was searching only for new forks. I have some doubts about buying a used, maybe 5 year old, fork
    I think the performance of the new Recon may be better. The damper seems to be an upgrade, as they are no longer using the old orange turnkey damper. It was common for people to use the Argyle motion control damper as an upgrade, which is no longer possible. They may have changed the design to prevent this, but it does seem they are using a better damper now.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I think the performance of the new Recon may be better. The damper seems to be an upgrade, as they are no longer using the old orange turnkey damper. It was common for people to use the Argyle motion control damper as an upgrade, which is no longer possible. They may have changed the design to prevent this, but it does seem they are using a better damper now.

Thanks a lot.
    Due to the higher stiffness, I'll probably buy the Recon.

Yesterday I found the RockShox 30 Gold RL Solo Air with Motion Control Damping. I suppose that this fork with the 30 mm stanchions is also not reasonable considering my system weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Last July I bought the Rock Shox Recon Silver TK air fork along with the motion control damper upgrade kit that includes remote lock out. It is 100mm of plush travel and the upgraded kit seems to have the fork sit higher without loss of small bump sensitivity. I weigh 200 pounds and the fork works very well and is noticably stiffer with the 32mm stanctions

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk