mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Oh where oh where have the little frames gone?!

OK, I'm old, my bike's old, and haven't been paying attention for IDK the last 10 years. Laugh, I'm a humble person and appreciate humor. I'm also teeny tiny, like can almost ride a kids bike. In my younger, more fit days, I could handle a 17" mens with some personal adjustments from stem to saddle). I go to look at new bikes since age and old injuries just don't like being stretched out over a long top tube anymore, and that includes standing. (When you are this small, having your hips too far forward of your feet is a thing, really.) So, the store owners are like "YOU STILL RIDE 26" WHEELS?! GTFO! What rock have you been under??" They also insisted that a 27.5 wheel bike should be JUST FINE, NO PROBLEM....
    Ummmm....NO
    I felt like I was learning to ride a bicycle all over again. The shop guy kept digging at me, insisting it's a mental thing when I didn't even realize I was riding a 27.5 and not a 26 until AFTER I hopped on it and noticed something just aint right. The top tube is way long and the stem was already pretty much no length at all.
    So, about 15 years ago, I had been all excited about then new WSD bikes that had the shorter top tubes. I could bunny hop like a champ and do all sorts of things I never really could do well since I started riding MTB. I ended up never buying one, AND I SORELY REGRET IT. Now, it seems that even the 15" frames have my arms locked out and my body stretched out even more than my old 17". This is on supposedly women's bikes. Turns out, the manufacturers have decided we don't need them anymore...or 26" wheels for that matter...and the reach needs to be even LONGER, apparently because of bigger wheels.
    "BUT IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL!!"
    Yes, sir, it is.
    So, what's a girl to do? Seriously, I'm seeing that the 26ers are vintage novelty now. What's a decent company that is still making truly xtra small frames (with or without 26" wheels, IDGAD, just help me find a frame that fits). Please and thank you!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Setup an ebay watch in the XS department. That was the only way we were able to get one for a build about 2 years ago now.

If you want to spend the money, Juliana, which is a sub company of Santa Cruz, makes top notch women's specific frames. I occationally see some of theirs hit ebay as well. They made great 26 in frames before jumping in on the 27.5/29's.

You might also look at higher end kids bikes like Islabikes, Spawn, Cleary, or Trailcraft. Great bikes, but again, they're not super cheap for most of their better models.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No one makes 26" wheeled bikes anymore.

If you want a new bike, you'll want an Extra Small, smalls aint that small anymore. And it'll have to be 27.5.

If you want a used bike, do your research and figure out what top tube length you want and when you find something on Ebay or CL, figure out how that bikes compares to what you want.

I do feel for you, my wife needs a short top tube 15" frame, the newer "small frames" are friggen HUGE compared to the 15" frames from a decade ago.

Here's a looker! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ellsworth-T...MAAOSwigxaj1uX

My 5'2" wife rode one of these & loved it. But she rides twice a year so she won't get one until they are well under current pricing. A $1500 offer on this would be realistic. The XS ones are very tough to find https://www.ebay.com/i/382303255369?chn=ps

mtbr member
    HT or FS? There are still 26er frames being made, so you'd have to build a bike from components, but still possible. HT anyway, less to no choice with FS in 26in.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Love the Ebay idea.
    I guess I should try the bigger towns for a bike shop that can/will really measure me and tell me what size and length will be best without guaranteeing I'm there to buy from them, (everybody needs to make their money) because the problem is I have no idea what top tube length will actually work unless I get on it. Yeah, the true XS are needle in a haystack.
    That Ellsworth looks AWESOME!!
    Thanks, yall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Oh, HT is just fine with me. I am all about the cross country and the twisty little single tracks, never a big downhill person or jumping off ledges. My first MTB back in the nineties had NO SUSPENSION WHATSOEVER! Also remember when the Trek FS beasts first appeared...haha! We laughed so hard at those. ;D

mtbr member
    My 26x2.35 wheels are bigger than my 2.3x27.5 wheels.

You dont need a 26er because you're small. You just need a smaller frame. Nothing about 26ers inherently fit small riders better.

You test rode a bike that was too big and didnt fit. Thats ok! Theres more bikes out there. How tall are you? If you're over 4'8, its pretty easy to find something that works for you.

What bike did you ride? Whatever it was, im sure you can find a smaller bike fairly easily. We need a frame of reference to help, but im sure we can help.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Here's the search I would use for XS size bike/frame.

Complete bikes:
    https://www.ebay.com/b/Bicycles/1778...&_sacat=177831

Frames:
    https://www.ebay.com/b/Bicycle-Frame...ntain%2520Bike

Killer frame, 22in effective top tube.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/GT-Force-2-...EAAOSw9N1VwtPE

Dream it, Do it.
    I just got an On-One Inbred 26 frame in XS for my son. There is definitely a gap in frame sizing between frames built around 24" wheels and the smallest 27.5" frames. In addition to the Trailcraft, As mentioned above, many of the kids bike manufacturers are starting to build bikes around 26" wheels.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

You dont need a 26er because you're small. You just need a smaller frame. Nothing about 26ers inherently fit small riders better.

You test rode a bike that was too big and didnt fit. Thats ok! Theres more bikes out there. How tall are you? If you're over 4'8, its pretty easy to find something that works for you.

What bike did you ride? Whatever it was, im sure you can find a smaller bike fairly easily. We need a frame of reference to help, but im sure we can help.
    Hahaha! I don't want to get into this argument! Like I said before, I don't really care about the wheel size, it's just that the sizes of the bikes all have changed dramatically, and it also varies from brand to brand. I have a mens 17" 1999 Giant XTC. It doesn't fit right, and I don't want to just guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I just got an On-One Inbred 26 frame in XS for my son. There is definitely a gap in frame sizing between frames built around 24" wheels and the smallest 27.5" frames. In addition to the Trailcraft, As mentioned above, many of the kids bike manufacturers are starting to build bikes around 26" wheels.
    This. There's a gaping whole in in the size ranges.

OP, here's what I built for my kid whose just at 5ft atm.

Previous Tideace 14" 26er now transferred to FS frame below

FM076 FS 26er trail frame

Before settling on the frame above, I looked at numerous model year 2012 to 2014 women's specific frames because those are roughly the last years that they still made 26in wheels. But then I went for the FM076 frame because its light, durable, matured for a chinese carbon frame, and it has the right geometry. It's got short chainstays, the right seat angle, and relatively lax head angle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Those rock! Good info!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Are those 26" wheels or did you have to go bigger to get that 1x drivetrain? I really like that "new" development in bikes
    I just keep looking at that picture... I want one!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anabangnana View Post
    Are those 26" wheels or did you have to go bigger to get that 1x drivetrain? I really like that "new" development in bikes
    I just keep looking at that picture... I want one!
    Yea, those are 26in wheels with Sram NX cranks in 155mm sizing so it's built to fit the rider right. The bike is a lil different today as the pic above was taken during the building process. The bike is ridden daily with heavy trail wheels and weighs just under 26lbs with dropper.

Also, when I ordered the frame, they thru in the usual stuff, bottom bracket, headset and QR/thru axle dropouts.

mtbr member
    Yeti also make xs small frames. Few companies are making womans specific bikes that have different geometries than their male counterparts. Yeti and Julian's bikes are just the their regular bikes with different suspension tunes, grips, and saddles. I know few woman around 5'2" on xs yetis though.
    Giant's Liv bikes are woman specific bikes like you are used to. Just built up a small Lust for my Mom and she is 5'3". They do make XS frames and are not too expensive or hard to find used. Niner also makes XS frames but they are typicallyl 29ers which I think are too big for small woman, unless you are a true racer.
    Pivot makes xs frames as well.
    If you are looking for woman's specific geometry, then Liv, specialized, and trek are your best bets.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2224477/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15369045/
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

always licking the glass

Oh where oh where have the little frames gone?!

Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Rocky Mountain makes XS frames as well for a lot of their bikes and have some ok "youth" bikes with 20, 24 and 26" wheels. What type of riding/trails do you do? Are you looking for a Full Suspension like the XTC or is a hardtail ok? My 12 and 13 year old boys are riding hardtails with 27.5" wheels. One on an XS frame and the other on a Medium. However, these are still big compared to older bikes. I was recently rebuilding a 2008 18" hardtail and my 13 year old said that it looked tiny.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Check Pinkbike too: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...wheelsize=8,11

Currently 60 listings of 26" XS small bikes and 69 27.5" XS bikes in North America.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Some companies have realized that they should use wheel size appropriate for the frame size, but as far as I know Kona is the only company that goes to 26" wheels for the xs sizes for adult women's bikes. Their Mahalo and Tika women's bikes come mostly in 27.5, but the xs bikes are built around 26" wheels:

KONA BIKES | MTB | WOMEN'S | Mohala

We have a 2016 Tika XS in our family--extensively modified (with a mid-drive motor ebike kit) but it's a pretty solid bike. Ridden by a 5'1" rider who was very used to riding a fully rigid steel old-school 1991 Ibis.

Several companies make 26" xs bikes marketed to kids, but many of these are serious bikes and you could consider them alongside the Konas.

Orbea makes a "kids" model in 26:

https://www.orbea.com/int-en/bicycles/mx-26-team-18

Trek makes the Fuel EX Jr and Superfly 26:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-bikes/c/B326/

Giant makes several 26" high quality "youth" mountain bikes with 26" wheels:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes/youth

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I left off the SE on my XTC. OOps. Forgot that just XTC meant FS, and I had eventually done so much to it that I almost could have just bought a frame and built it up, but hey, it was a whole bike for $900. So, it's a HT. I bought the SE XTC 2 on sale, which had a pretty decent XT/Deore drivetrain out of the box, then I upgraded things for size and to make it a pretty bomb sport class XC racing/occasional "trail riding" rig. Even ran it on a few expert races. It made me way faster than I probably should have been! Haha The frames were super light and durable. Probably among the lightest available that didn't run you lots of $$$. I don't race anymore, so I'm not concerned about weight. I'm also probably not going to be able to tackle many jumps or long, fast and rough descents, simply because age and old injuries are catching up with me.
    That said, I wonder if a FS would serve me better. (My knees, back and feet are pretty messed up). Back in the day they were too "squishy" and inefficient for XC racing (unless you had a lot of $).

mtbr member
    Check out "The Pro's Closet" they have a great selection....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Can you take a picture of that??? Do you mean wider for bigger? How can a 26" rim be higher than a 27.5" rim?

Or do you mean the tires and not the wheels? Most rim widths are 0.8-1.3 inches wide, and you wrote 2.35 which suggests tire width not rim width. Not to be anal but please clarify...
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    No one makes 26" wheeled bikes anymore.
    Wow. I guess I'll keep reading this in here forever. I assume the Chinese count as "no one". Maybe I'm in an anal retentive mood today but the correct phrasing is "No major American bike manufacturer makes 26" wheeled bikes anymore". There are dozens of companies that still make them. They are just not in our neck of the woods. We do actually live on a planet with other countries that export items to us.

You order 26" bikes through sites like Amazon. They may even have 24" bikes still, let's see:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=21L9HKV7948SJ

Hundreds of 24" bikes, including from names like Diamondback. For 26, I sorted high to low (you may need to do that after clicking on the link):

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_p...rice-desc-rank

They have everything you want in an old-school bike, pick 3x7 or 3x10, pick steel, aluminum, carbon frame, rigid, front, or full suspension, everything they had in 2010 they still have now. They even have 2x11! It's just not from the manufacturers a lot of people worship. Lose the ethnocentricity, open your mind and pocketbook.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Can you take a picture of that??? Do you mean wider for bigger? How can a 26" rim be higher than a 27.5" rim?

Or do you mean the tires and not the wheels? Most rim widths are 0.8-1.3 inches wide, and you wrote 2.35 which suggests tire width not rim width. Not to be anal but please clarify...
    It's the overall size of the wheel with the tire on it. Large volume 26 x 2.35's are often around the same size as a lower volume 27.5 x 2.XX tire. Totally depends on the tires being used though.

since 4/10/2009
    My wife had to size down when she moved into a modern geometry bike. She was on a small 2010 Santa Cruz Blur XC (26er) which she bought in large part because it had a shorter top tube. She bought a new bike last year, and learned that small frames weren't going to work, and was even having second thoughts about 27.5 wheels. She ended up on an XS Juliana Furtado with 27.5 wheels and loved it. Also be aware that most bikes nowadays are coming with super wide bars (even tiny bikes) and the manufacturers EXPECT you to cut them down to size. We did so for my wife's bike until she was happy with the fit of her bike.

She is about 5'4, however. She had shop employees also INSISTING that a small frame was right for her. Some were really terrible about it. I tagged along with her on a lot of her trips and generally didn't say much. I've done my time in shop sales. Some shops better than others. My BS meter is super tuned. I mostly ignored what the shop people said, and observed my wife on different bikes, and then talked to her later about how different bikes felt. The smaller frames were right for her. She has especially short arms which have a pretty significant effect on her ability to reach the bars. I could see how someone shorter, but with a longer torso and longer arms could feel more comfortable on a small frame. I could also see how someone who's shorter, but with similar proportions to my wife could have a difficult time finding a new bike of any sort.

Definitely some good recommendations here for where to find good 26ers. I, too, have seen the 26er wheel size move into the kids sizing department on some of the larger brands.

mtbr member
    Diamondback often has an XS model in the women's version of a bike where the men's version bottoms out at S. They also put a narrower handlebar and shorter stem on the women's if the frame is the same. Bet other manufacturers do the same... Their women's models don't have many style cues, maybe slightly more powdery colors, and more standover if possible. The only real women's feature is a different saddle.

https://www.diamondback.com/release-2
    https://www.diamondback.com/clutch-31453

https://www.diamondback.com/mason-trail-37184
    https://www.diamondback.com/womens-b...ain/rely-trail

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    My wife had to size down when she moved into a modern geometry bike. She was on a small 2010 Santa Cruz Blur XC (26er) which she bought in large part because it had a shorter top tube. She bought a new bike last year, and learned that small frames weren't going to work, and was even having second thoughts about 27.5 wheels. She ended up on an XS Juliana Furtado with 27.5 wheels and loved it. Also be aware that most bikes nowadays are coming with super wide bars (even tiny bikes) and the manufacturers EXPECT you to cut them down to size. We did so for my wife's bike until she was happy with the fit of her bike.

She is about 5'4, however. She had shop employees also INSISTING that a small frame was right for her. Some were really terrible about it. I tagged along with her on a lot of her trips and generally didn't say much. I've done my time in shop sales. Some shops better than others. My BS meter is super tuned. I mostly ignored what the shop people said, and observed my wife on different bikes, and then talked to her later about how different bikes felt. The smaller frames were right for her. She has especially short arms which have a pretty significant effect on her ability to reach the bars. I could see how someone shorter, but with a longer torso and longer arms could feel more comfortable on a small frame. I could also see how someone who's shorter, but with similar proportions to my wife could have a difficult time finding a new bike of any sort.

Definitely some good recommendations here for where to find good 26ers. I, too, have seen the 26er wheel size move into the kids sizing department on some of the larger brands.
    I know what you mean about the bike shops trying to insist that the change in geometry and wheel size is "all in our heads" Yes, I probably don't have a very long reach. Standing up on these new bikes is too much weight on the front bar and the pedals are too far back. How the heck am I supposed to shift my weight back on a descent or over an obstacle when my arms are already extended to their max? lol! No love for the little people, I guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    It's just not from the manufacturers a lot of people worship. Lose the ethnocentricity, open your mind and pocketbook.
    Who, me? Never had that problem! My issue is that even though I'm 5'2", I guess I just don't have a long enough reach for anything I've found on the shop floors to hop on and feel it out to see what works, be that new geometry, a USA brand slapped on a Chinese bike, or something no one's ever heard. Once I learn what DOES work, then I can go to town online or ordering something from a shop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just want to say There are so many great responses and links here, that it's hard to reply to them all. I tried this section of the forum because I didn't want to get into the same BS arguments that the sellers gave me about 26" wheels vs. 27.5 and 29. I do think my 26 will always be close to my heart, even though it doesn't fit as well as I wish, but I'm willing to change the size of the rims as long as the bike overall fits. LOVE the ideas about checking out kids bikes. I never imagined kids bikes could be so high end. They grow so fast, I couldn't stomach buying anything brand new unless my kid could for sure rake in winnings at races. Shoot, back in my day, us women would get a teeny tiny fraction of actual cash for races that men did. Kids?? hahaha I remember racing in womens expert class for stuff like $100 cash for top spot, bike shop coupons (that couldn't be used on new bikes or frames) and s..t like cantilever brake pads. It was a joke. It was fun though. I only regret not having the chance to keep at it.
    Anyway, enough rambling. This has been a great discussion. There are a couple of shops around I haven't tried yet, and if they too try to get out of fitting me for a bike, I will try and hop on a big kids bike. Brilliant idea. If I find one that fits me well, I'll pull out the measuring tape so I can know what to order online. As some mentioned, THE GREAT WHEEL DEBATE aside, a "small" is not the same as a "small" 5 years ago, even if it's the same brand.

since 4/10/2009
    Might be worth trying out the online fit tools from wrench science or competitive cyclist.

They will both have you take several measurements and will give you some recommended frame dimensions to look for.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    These pop up on eBay regularly. This bike was designed specifically for people with small frames:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253458758224

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by anabangnana View Post
    LOVE the ideas about checking out kids bikes. I never imagined kids bikes could be so high end.
    5% of the US population has virtually unlimited funds to spend on their kids. Dropping two grand on a FS trek for junior is nothing if you're in this category.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount3 View Post
    5% of the US population has virtually unlimited funds to spend on their kids. Dropping two grand on a FS trek for junior is nothing if you're in this category.
    I see $5K bikes ridden by munchkins at NICA races, a lot. I can't say if its 5% thing or what but its not that uncommon nor is there anything wrong with it. It feels like you're trying to slight them or something. There's obviously a market there or they would not be catering to it. And because it exists people like the OP can get something that fits.

the half breed devil
    marin makes the hawk hill in xs through xl:

Marin | Hawk Hill 3 | 2018

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If the older 26" bikes fit you better, just get one of them, like this 2008-2010 size small Stumpjumper.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-Stumpjumper-XC-SMALL-2010/122907879103

Oh where oh where have the little frames gone?!-s-l1600.jpg

mtbr member
    If you used to race, take a look at this. It is sexy as hell, it would fit my girl, but since we are in colorado, most of are riding is more "all mountain".
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'2" and I LOVE my Liv Lust. Have you tried their bikes? It feels fun and snappy and responsive and light. I love how the the 27.5 tires roll over everything. I should technically be in an XS frame but I am happy with my S. I am going to make some adjustments to my stem or handlebars though as I seem to have some wrist pain. If you go by their sizing guide, the XS frame is for 4'10" to 5'5" and the S fame is from 5'2"-5'7". Maybe you will feel good on one of those?
    Last edited by mLeier; 03-14-2018 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks, mLeier. Will definitely try to check one of those out if possible!