mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New thrift store find

Not too shabby for $10
    Needs tubes and that's all.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice! That's a survivor with the dork disk and reflectors still installed.

You'll get some e-stay love if you post that in the VRC forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Like those $10 bikes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdenver1961 View Post
    Like those $10 bikes!
    But if they need tires, seat, grips, chain, etc, you end up spending more than if you just went to Walmart and got a new one.
    Last edited by MudSnow; 1 Week Ago at 01:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Nice deal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    But if they need tires, seat, grips, chain, etc, you end up spending more than if you just went to Walmart and got a new one.
    But a Wal-Mart piece of crap can't hold a candle to this fine piece of history. How many Wal-Mart bikes will be roling after 20 years of abuse?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A brand new Walmart bike compared to this will have a stronger frame, nearly identical wheels with cheap ball and cone bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket, indexed shifters, maybe disc brakes, and threadless 1 1/8" steer tube enabling upgrade to lots of great forks.
    Last edited by MudSnow; 1 Week Ago at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    A brand new Walmart bike compared to this will have a stronger frame, nearly identical wheels, indexed shifters, maybe disc brakes, and threadless 1 1/8" steer tube enabling upgrade to lots of great forks.
    Not even close, the quality of THIS frame is so far beyond the quality of any Wally bike. Brakes, crank and the rigid fork would all be upgrades over one as well.

Falcon shifters on Wally bike do not work even when adjusted correctly, the disc brake are throw aways just like the wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Not even close, the quality of THIS frame is so far beyond the quality of any Wally bike.
    Really? Is it even chromoly or just another one of the millions of bikes made out of Chinese pot-metal? The frame is an engineering nightmare with many extra points of stress and weakness that shouldn't be there.
    Last edited by MudSnow; 1 Week Ago at 01:03 AM.

Class Clown
    walmart lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Really? Is it even chromoly or just another one of the millions of bikes made out of Chinese pot-metal? The frame is an engineering nightmare with many extra points of stress and weakness that shouldn't be there.
    Regardless of the points of stress this will be an easy rider for years. Totally classic rad for $10, hell even $100.

You're ranking of this bike below a walmart bike has me questioning your sanity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    All I am saying is when you go buy some crappy old bike for $10 off Craigslist or whatever, by the time you replace the tubes, tires, seat, grips, chain, etc, you've spent over $150 on some 30 year old department store Chinese pot-metal with prehistoric Chinese friction shifters, crappy brakes, gritty cone bearing hubs, and a 1" threaded steer tube that prevents you from ever having a good fork on it.
    Last edited by MudSnow; 1 Week Ago at 01:04 AM.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Nice find!
    Wally just sells crap.....throw away $hit.
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

Dances with horses
    I was given a 1985 Bridgestone 600 (road bike).

I put 10,000 miles on that bike. Could a Wal-Mart do that? Maybe

Was a $100 (plus maintenance) or so I put into that bike worth it? Yes

Cycologist
    Nishiki was a Japanese brand. They were manufactured in Japan then in the late 80s by Giant in Taiwan. The brand has been resurrected somewhat recently and sold at Dick's.

So no, that is not a Chinese pot metal bike. Better bike than a Wally World one. OP said it just needs tubes; great deal for $10.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    that thing is awesome

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sweet! I remember those, the Alien right?, should be all Tange CroMo, and that looks like LX? I never cared for those big plastic brake levers, but everything else is rideable.
    I once got a Univega with full 3x6 XT for $14, and a MB-1 for $17.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    nah...nishiki was a POS bike, and still is...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been looking for a Nishiki Alien or Haro Extreme to pop up for a while now. They're still $300-500 on ebay. Elevated chainstays are sweet and unique!

These are actually good quality bikes. Much better then contemporary WalMart crap.

Sorry MudSnow...there are still great bikes out there that were born in the 80's and 90's that will always be better than cheap Chinese junk.

I'd also love to get a Schwinn Homegrown hardtail. Those were awesome! Due to the anemic knowledge base of the contemporary biker...and since they sold out to Pacific and people don't even know that Schwinn made some killer bikes in the early years...they can be had at a decent price.

Sure, they won't cover trail as fast as a modern dually, but there are people out there that are just looking for a unique ride to be in the woods on. The Alien is one of them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I've been looking for a Nishiki Alien or Haro Extreme to pop up for a while now. They're still $300-500 on ebay. Elevated chainstays are sweet and unique!

These are actually good quality bikes. Much better then contemporary WalMart crap.

Sorry MudSnow...there are still great bikes out there that were born in the 80's and 90's that will always be better than cheap Chinese junk.

I'd also love to get a Schwinn Homegrown hardtail. Those were awesome! Due to the anemic knowledge base of the contemporary biker...and since they sold out to Pacific and people don't even know that Schwinn made some killer bikes in the early years...they can be had at a decent price.

Sure, they won't cover trail as fast as a modern dually, but there are people out there that are just looking for a unique ride to be in the woods on. The Alien is one of them!
    Clearly Mudsnow doesn't have a clue about where we came from...

As far as the Homegrown... They're out there. I'm in possession of a couple of them and yes, they are as good as you've heard.
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post

Well if the price is right I'll sell the bike minus wheels and tires. Pm me

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Clearly Mudsnow doesn't have a clue about where we came from...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

No, I am very familiar with what utter crap, overweight, hard to shift, terrible ergonomics, ball-crushing history that we came from!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaslo View Post
    nah...nishiki was a POS bike, and still is...
    And a wally is not? Gtfo and stop spoiling the thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Nishiki was my first bike that I "restored" when I first got into rebuilding bikes. Eventually made it a fixie. Good find!

mtbr member
    I honestly hope you are just simply trolling for attention on this. The OP's bike, a 1989 Nishiki Alien btw if I'm not mistaken, was designed by Richard Cunningham and was built with Tange Prestige tubing. At the time, it was one of the most highly regarded tube sets to build with. I built quite a few bikes with it myself in the late 80's into the mid 90's. Worst case scenario is it's the next model down and built with Tange No1 tubing, also excellent. Nishiki was also a very well regarded Japanese manufacturer (I believe they are owned by Giant now..or built by Giant). Also at the time, just like what everyone will be saying about our bikes nearly 30 years from now, it was a perfect example of how designers were playing with different ideas....which, is exactly WHY we have the bikes we have today. If my opening statement is not the case, please, please catch up on your MTB history.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Interesting piece of history, Josh. Never seen chainstays like that.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I come across those EC Aliens from time to time on the list of Craig, I myself actually had a '92 or '93 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo that was very similar with a matte orange paint job, such a cool looking bike! The neat thing was for such an old bike, it could still stuff a 2.5" tire with ease.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My first mtn bike was a Nishiki in about 1991

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Handlebar View Post
    I honestly hope you are just simply trolling for attention on this. The OP's bike, a 1989 Nishiki Alien btw if I'm not mistaken, was designed by Richard Cunningham and was built with Tange Prestige tubing. At the time, it was one of the most highly regarded tube sets to build with. I built quite a few bikes with it myself in the late 80's into the mid 90's. Worst case scenario is it's the next model down and built with Tange No1 tubing, also excellent. Nishiki was also a very well regarded Japanese manufacturer (I believe they are owned by Giant now..or built by Giant). Also at the time, just like what everyone will be saying about our bikes nearly 30 years from now, it was a perfect example of how designers were playing with different ideas....which, is exactly WHY we have the bikes we have today. If my opening statement is not the case, please, please catch up on your MTB history.
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish View Post
    Interesting piece of history, Josh. Never seen chainstays like that.
    Yeah, I don't get the Nishiki / Wally bike analogy at all. Having some trust in what's under foot and other body parts is exactly why most can relax and enjoy the ride, if not ride better and faster with confidence.

I always though they had solid history even if they went big Sports box store a bit these days. Those are probably some of the most seen bikes around these parts at rummage or thrift stores and still look very solid and full of life if not for a few tweaks.

Pennies on the dollar Man, a good way to fund another ride option or spare bike.

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'