Special Ed

Mechanical Disk to Hydraulic Brakes, Same Rotor Size, Doesn't Fit

Have a '98 Elllsworth Truth FS with Mavic Crossride Wheels. Had 160mm rotors on it with Avid BB7 mechanical brakes that fit great.

Just got some used Shimano Deore Hydraulic Disc Brakes with the same size rotor that won't fit on the rear. The rotors are different styles, the mechanical being completely circular and the other is patterned (Attached photos for reference).

Even though the bodies of the brake calipers appear identical, none of the adapters I have extend out far enough for the hydraulic to work including the old BB7 bracket/adapter.

Attached photos of the BB7 type and the brake setup from the donor bike ('02-03 assumed).

The front fork brakes are fine.

What do I need in order to make these work? Thinking of running it down to the LBS?

Name:  Avid Disc Rotors Circular.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  6.2 KBMechanical Disk to Hydraulic Brakes, Same Rotor Size, Doesn't Fit-avid-disc-rotors-patterned.jpgName:  Avid BB7.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  19.1 KBMechanical Disk to Hydraulic Brakes, Same Rotor Size, Doesn't Fit-00404_fds8i1bp41e_1200x900.jpg
    'Things you own...begin owning you.'

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    Avid and Shimano adapaters (U shaped piece between the caliper and frame) vary in shape even for the same size rotor. I assume it doesnt fit as in the rotor is hitting the caliper body preventing movement. The proper adapter will move the caliper allowing free movement of the rotor.

Special Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocipedist View Post
    I assume it doesnt fit as in the rotor is hitting the caliper body preventing movement. The proper adapter will move the rotor to the correct location.
    Correct, thanks for making this more clear, rotor is hitting the caliper body.

I tried the Shimano adapter that came with it but it doesn't work either. How do I find the right adapter? Any measurements I can make before ordering and trying it blindly?

The Avid Disc Brake Caliper came with adjustment spacers and the Shimano did not. I tried using these spacers with the Shimano mount but even still it wasn't close. Image for Spacer Reference.

Name:  Avid Disc Brake Spacers.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  36.6 KB

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    Best to google your specific model of shimano brake. It is possible that there are front and rear adapter versions, or potentially a change in orientation (flip the adapter / rearrange fasteners above or below if the required clearance is minimal enough). An lbs will have the correct adapter, I would call around.

mtbr member
    Just a question, are you sure they are 160mm rotors, some older Avids had weird sizes like 163 and 185. It should be listed in the side of the rotor. If it's just a bit you can probably put a 6MM washer between the adapter and caliper under the bolt. The concave/convex pair washers in the photo were called CPS (I believe caliper positioning system) and were needed as the caliper was spaced differently from other systems, it allowed for quick alignment but also introduced some noise/howl on some frames.

Special Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    Just a question, are you sure they are 160mm rotors, some older Avids had weird sizes like 163 and 185. It should be listed in the side of the rotor.
    Yes, I measured and it is also stamped on the side as 160mm.

The concave/convex pair washers in the photo were called CPS (I believe caliper positioning system) and were needed as the caliper was spaced differently from other systems, it allowed for quick alignment but also introduced some noise/howl on some frames.
    Thanks for the clarification. Never had noises with mine so must've been lucky.

mtbr member
    I have had the same thing happen with a buddy's bike that originally had BB7s and I put on newer Deore LX M585 hydros, a 6MM washer fixed it (in my case only one bolt needed it) and it's still going strong today and it's been years. As you said too, another option is to go to a shop and see what they have, some brands are slightly different, one may just work better and not rub on the caliper. I recommend that check that the pad covers the entire brake track once you solve the rubbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    IS to Post adapters are the same, doesn't matter who makes them.

What matters is Front/Rear, rotor size, and orientation (they don't work if they are on backwards)

If the rotor size is the same, the original avid adapter will work (without the CPS washers, those are part of the caliper, not the adapter).

Make sure the adapter is on in the right direction, there's usually and arrow that points up or forward, and the writing usually faces out.

Also, make sure the 2 bolts that you attached the adapter to the frame with (not the ones that attach the caliper to the adapter) are not so long that they are hitting the rotor.
    Eat Clean and Pedal More

www.eatcleanpedalmore.com

mtbr member
    They should be the same but as I said I ran into the same thing with an older frame and a little shimming fixed it. I did have an Avid, Shimano, and Hayes adapters in my hand at the same time and there was a very minor difference in the post mount holes. The Hayes wound up working best. It should not happen but I did witness it myself.

Special Ed
    I called one of favorite LBS' and they said it's common to have issues swapping brake manufacturers or different frames and that they have a wide selection of adapters and spacers. Going to take it in today to have them fit it up.

mtbr member
    Yesterday I installed a Shimano XT M8000 rear caliper on my 1998 Super V. I have the Shimano SM-MA-R160P/S adapter and a 160mm XTR SM-RT99 centerlock rotor. I had major rubbing of the rotor on the caliper body. Didn't have time to mess with it yesterday but will be tackling it today. Washers/spacers will hopefully do the trick.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
    Have a '98 Elllsworth Truth FS with Mavic Crossride Wheels. Had 160mm rotors on it with Avid BB7 mechanical brakes that fit great.

Just got some used Shimano Deore Hydraulic Disc Brakes with the same size rotor that won't fit on the rear. The rotors are different styles, the mechanical being completely circular and the other is patterned (Attached photos for reference).

Even though the bodies of the brake calipers appear identical, none of the adapters I have extend out far enough for the hydraulic to work including the old BB7 bracket/adapter.

Attached photos of the BB7 type and the brake setup from the donor bike ('02-03 assumed).

The front fork brakes are fine.

What do I need in order to make these work? Thinking of running it down to the LBS?

Name:  Avid Disc Rotors Circular.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  6.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Avid Disc Rotors Patterned.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	1206770Name:  Avid BB7.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  19.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	00404_fds8I1bp41E_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	1206767

I had a very similar problem with the rear, Shimano Deore M615. It just would not clear the rotor. I kept adding more and more washer spacers until I realized the pads were barely touching the rotor. It's really hard to see how deep the rotor is inside the caliper too. You just have to keep adding an equal amount of washers on each adapter end (or taking them off) until you get it right. It took me many hours. And I found that sometimes less washers is better than more. As in it's fitting in better than you think, you just have to keep playing with it. I actually put on two adapters together; you can try that.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I actually put on two adapters together; you can try that.
    No. Multiple adapters is just asking for trouble.

OP, I've found 1-1.5mm is about what I need to run Avid Centerlines with Shimano since they have a narrow brake track similar to those in the 2nd pic. Aresab's 6mm is about the max I'd want to go and only if I knew I had bolts long enough. Space it too far and the bolts won't be threaded into the adapter far enough to hold and then you've got real problems. Bolts too long, bad too. Please get to the bike shop for advice or take pics so we can not have to guess what's going on.

mtbr member
    Here is what I did....

I added 2 very thin #10 black anodized washers from my local hardware store to act as spacers between the disc adapter and the caliper body (see the yellow arrows in the photo). This lifted the caliper a couple mm and it just clears the rotor with the pads biting the rotor appropriately.

But then I found that the caliper was a bit off-center so I added 2 more washers between the frame mount and the adapter (blue arrows). Now I'm spinning freely with no rub straight out of the box.

Once I get my 11-speed rear derailleur mounted and cabled up and my chain on, I can actually ride this thing again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mechanical Disk to Hydraulic Brakes, Same Rotor Size, Doesn't Fit-adapter-spacers.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Looks good
    Eat Clean and Pedal More

www.eatcleanpedalmore.com

Special Ed
    LBS got me hooked up. Just took an adapter that I didn't have. No spacers were required thankfully.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
    LBS got me hooked up. Just took an adapter that I didn't have. No spacers were required thankfully.
    typical LBS, selling you another adapter instead of fixing your spacing issue like a normal person. everyone in this thread told you all you needed was a few washers...

Special Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    instead of fixing your spacing issue like a normal person.
    Yep, I'm not normal, I'm an engineer. Your 'cuppa warshers' would have been 1/4 to 1/2 inches in height on a braking system and not sound so it looks like I did good.

mtbr member
    I'm a scientist as well and I agree - 1/2 inch or even 1/4 inch (6 to 13mm) of stacked washers is not a viable solution. If I had to go beyond 2 or 3mm I would have figured out another solution.

Pro Crastinator
    the concave/convex washers are pretty standard in the brake world, it's how you achieve proper alignment (they go back as far as caliper rim brakes). without them, you are simply trusting your frame /adapter and caliper mount to all have perfectly flush faces that align with each other.

Special Ed
    without them, you are simply trusting your frame /adapter and caliper mount to all have perfectly flush faces.
    Look at Post #16 where I said it worked. Update - it's been working great.

So now what is your point except to rack up your post count or troll the forum? Hint, this thread is dead...

Pro Crastinator
    the point was that shimming your adapter would have worked as well without the need for additional purchases.

if you think the thread is dead, stop responding...

Special Ed
    the point was that shimming your adapter would have worked as well without the need for additional purchases.
    OMG Washer-boy!! The bracket was sooooooo expensive...LMFAO!! Think I can afford the $4 that it cost to not be a hoosier.

if you think the thread is dead, stop responding...
    You first but I'm assuming you'll try and make your pathetic point valid.

You've been useless once again, thanks. Can see why your stupid post count is so high. At least I'm out riding instead of trolling.

Pro Crastinator
    shimming disc brakes is as old as the concept of having them on a bicycle. not sure why you are so bothered by that...

Special Ed
    Whatever Warsher-Boy. Have fun on on your duct-tape-bike!