mtbr member

Klein attitude or Scott Scale

I need a new hardtail for days that I want to ride to the trails or just get in some longer miles on the xc trails. I like 26, but they are hard to find. I like the look of the old kleins but I am guessing they are little bit rough on the body. Every once and a while a 2012 scott scale pops up in 26 on ebay or craiglist.
    Does anyone have experience on both? Does anyone still ride a klein hardtail? I might give up on this and either get a 27.5 scale or a soul craft option 3....
    What doe you guys think?
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Have you thought about a steel or ti frame from late 90'd or early to mid 00's?

The kleins are always a classic but can be a tad harsh. Scale doesn't need much explanation to what you're getting.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I turned my '88 Klein Top Gun into more of a commuter setup, but still trail capable with some knobbies. I am running a thudbuster on it to help with some of that harshness. No way around it, especially on the pre '95 Kleins. As long as your back can handle it they are great riding, but STIFF. And if your back cannot handle it, well, there are squishy posts
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    if I get a klein I would get a 2004 2005is one that I can put disk brakes on a and a dropper post. I have thought about ti frames. Merlin has pretty good deals on frames. Custom ones are about 2gs, which is a lot of money, but isn't bad for ti.
    I know that scale is a dedicated racer, so while carbon is supposed to be a better ride, I heard that scales can be a little harsh.

mtbr member
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-KLEIN-...53.m1438.l2649
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/KLEIN-ATTIT...53.m1438.l2649
    These are two I am looking at. You can put a disc adapter on the white one to get the disc brakes to work.
    I am not going to lie, I like bikes that are pretty, and I am more likely to ride a bike if I like the way it looks. That is probably why I like the kleins.

mtbr member
    Also, I have two carbon 6 inch bikes, but I have never riden a carbon hardtail. I have a Bridgestone MB3 I mostly commute on and it is quite flexy, and wouldn't really want to ride it offroad. I am guessing a more modern steel hardtail might be better.

Sneaker man
    I like Kleins, but that era Klein is more an aluminum Trek than a Klein (not that they are bad in any way). My GF had a 2008 Scale 40, aluminium, the actual bike weighed a lot, but I striped it down to the frame and was shocked at how light it was, and the carbon frames are lighter (but thts maybe why the head tube had a crack in it from commuting).
    If the Kleins are cheap, then they'll be good bikes, but I'd go a Scale.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're looking at dropping $800 on an old Klein if highly recommend you don't.

For that price you could get a nice older titanium bike that will have a nice smooth ride rather than the jackhammer ride that Klein's give.

How tall are you, what size frame are you looking for?

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8578

mtbr member
    I am little over 5'8" and a little more leg then torso, since I used to be about 5'9" before my l4 and l5 shrank. My problem is I road my friends carbon fate a couple of times and it was just awesome, but I like good looking bikes and the straight black of all carbon bikes is boring. Would be nice to test ride a ti bike somewhere.