Thread: Giant Iguana

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Giant Iguana

I recently got an Giant/ Iguana bike from a client. Anybody got a guesstomation of yr or value?? Not sure how to send pic here but bike is mountain green without disc brakes. MTB series with Shimano Altus cranks
    Last edited by billyabong43; 09-13-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Additional info

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Old/cheap. Year ??? 1993 maybe? Around $400 new. $50-ish depending on condition. Probably less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billyabong43 View Post
    I recently got an Giant/ Iguana bike from a client. Anybody got a guesstomation of yr or value?? Not sure how to send pic here but bike is mountain green without disc brakes. MTB series with Shimano Altus cranks
    Sorry. Just had to.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Old/cheap. Year ??? 1993 maybe? Around $400 new. $50-ish depending on condition. Probably less.
    ~~~ I researched it and 93 came closest but client isn't even that old. Plus it's an 18 speed. As far as I can tell they didnt make an 18 speed that far back. Either way, it is a joy to ride. Very light, I'm guessing 26-28 lbs and very ergonomic shifters/ brakes. Still researching though as I'm really not a rider anymore. Will probably sell it. $50 is a $50 profit as I got it for free. 😎✌

mtbr member
    Try www.bicyclebluebook.com. I found this one there. Looks to be late 90s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    ~~~ I researched it and 93 came closest but client isn't even that old. Plus it's an 18 speed. As far as I can tell they didnt make an 18 speed that far back. Either way, it is a joy to ride. Very light, I'm guessing 26-28 lbs and very ergonomic shifters/ brakes. Still researching though as I'm really not a rider anymore. Will probably sell it. $50 is a $50 profit as I got it for free. 😎✌
    Plus it has weinman 519 rims which were also not available in" 93" Think I got a rare factory Frankenstein. 😎

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Original Kendo tires!!!

mtbr member
    Kend'a'. And bike is worth $90.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Think you got it Tim. 19.5", 3x7 gears, all the rest except what is obviously a aftermarket rusty back rim. The rest is a match. Thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Exceptttttt,,, crankset is Shimano Altus not Alvio... Make any sense?? Thx again for info bro

> /dev/null 2&>1
    If you posted a pic, it might be possible to determine the year, but its of little consequence.

You could check the serial number, and this sometimes contains the year, but, that's of little consequence.

Since 18sp came on earlier models, later replaced by 21sp on later models, its perfectly reasonable that the drivetrain is original, or, it could have been replaced aftermarket. 'Altus' line was introduced around the early 90's. But, that's of little consequence.

I agree the value is likely $50 - $90 depending on condition. But, that's of little consequence.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Wow procter, u are a really wise man. 3x7 is a 21 speed, it was my mistake saying it was 18. Miscounted the rear sprockets. I'm such a dope. And you are like the Dhali Lama with all your infinate wisdom.... But as you say, "thou of, oh so impressive wisdom",~~ That,,,,,, is of little consequence~~ hahahaha!! ✌

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Wow procter, u are a really wise man. 3x7 is a 21 speed, it was my mistake saying it was 18. Miscounted the rear sprockets. I'm such a dope. And you are like the Dhali Lama with all your infinate wisdom.... But as you say, "thou of, oh so impressive wisdom",~~ That,,,,,, is of little consequence~~ hahahaha!! ✌
    Very true

I AM I AM
    Back when I brought my first real MTB I remember choosing between a Giant Iguana and a Specialized Hardrock Comp.
    This was in 2001 (Australia) and just before disc brakes started coming in I believe.... back then the cost was around $1000.

Not likely your bike though, just brings back memories (went with the Hardrock at the time because the bike shop was better to deal with, and there wasn't much difference between the two bikes).