mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Finding spare pivot suspension parts?

What are you guys doing for spare parts for your rear suspension area, like seals, washers, nuts, bolts, etc, whatever you need to maintenance the rear pivot area?
    Are you stocking up?
    Relying on your LBS?
    Or are these parts compatible from one bike manufacturer to another?

ADD: Should clarify "pivot" as in the suspension area/function, not the brand.

Like these areas here:
    Finding spare pivot suspension parts?-2015-pivot-mach-4-27.5-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    null

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Totally depends. Some are very easy to find, some are damn near impossible to find. I had to order some from the UK through a dealer in another city, who then shipped them to me, to get replacement bushings and bolts for the rear shock on a BMC frame. Others like Santa Cruz or mainstream brands can usually be sourced on ebay, at good shops, or by contacting the manufacturer.
    Last edited by jestep; 04-24-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For pivot bearings buy some digital calipers, measure your bearings and order up what you need. There's no shortage of places to order bearings. You don't need company specific bearings. There's really no such thing considering they use off the shelf bearings made by other companies anyway. That goes for hardware too as long as you know your thread pitch. It won't be as easy as going down to your hardware store, but there's plenty of places to order up just about any fastener for any bike save for odd ball proprietary stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Agreed, bearings can be sourced anywhere

Bolts & washers, most likely easily sourced but not wear items typically

Bushings can be a bit tricky. As can through bolts that as susceptible to wear on some models.

Most large manufacturers will carry spare parts for a long time. If you find they don't time to switch brands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Great advice, thanks Guys

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    Great advice, thanks Guys
    Also, if it's specific to a frame/manufacturer, posting here on MTBR is one of the best places to at least find who/where to contact for something. You can often find alternatives based on someone else's experience as well. I pay attention to a lot in this industry, but I'm constantly blown away how knowledgeable MTBR members are in literally everything from vintage late 70's bikes to the most modern stuff on the market.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    If anyone is still riding Gary Fisher's Sugar, Trek still stocks pivot bushings! I replaced mine on at 2003 Sugar 3+ a couple of months ago. Trek had 'em, shipped out next day. Apparently they are the same part as used current Trek models!

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    When I broke a bolt on my '08 Giant Anthem I had to source it from the dealer - proprietary size/threads. It came as part of a kit for somewhere around $50. Lesson learned to check for loose bolts more frequently.

As mentioned, bearings can come from wherever, but I usually go with Enduro Seals brand if buying new. This doesn't happen a lot since I started cleaning/regreasing them about once a year.

Most have a code on the rubber seal that specify the thickness, inner and outer diameter. The number is the size code (6902 in this case), but the letters can vary depending on what type of rubber seal is used.

Finding spare pivot suspension parts?-bearing.jpg