mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Destined for 26ers

I have tried 27.5 and 29ers over the last few months and I still like 26ers a whole lot more. The main reasons are stand over height and center of gravity. I am 5'-8" and 26ers just fit me and my riding style better. Since it appears I am now in the minority, I hope that there are enough of us out there so I can still get parts and frames when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'll join you in the minority group as my personal preference turns out to be 26ers also and more importantly.....older 26ers it appears that make me smile more.
    Not sure about parts though as my lbs always tells me to get a newer bike as mine is over the hill when it comes to parts..............but i always seem to find what i need.

mtbr member
    Well said those chaps. Couldn't agree more. Love the way my 26er's ride. So no reason or need to change. I have a shed full of 26er spares.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by wightweenie26er View Post
    Well said those chaps. Couldn't agree more. Love the way my 26er's ride. So no reason or need to change. I have a shed full of 26er spares.
    *sighs...envious at a shed full of spares lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Me 3. Iím collecting old iron as we speak.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    Me 3. Iím collecting old iron as we speak.
    Ti is still readily available as well...
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    When talking about parts, you are really just talking about rims, tyres and forks.

Tyres, not a problem. You may not be able to buy the latest rubber but with so many 26'' bikes out there you'll always get something decent.

Rims, should be ok too. Again, lot of 26'' bikes.

It's the forks that are an issue. It's already getting tricky to find good used ones and very hard to buy new ones but the bottom line is that there are soooo many 26'' bikes in circulation that you should always be able to find something. At least until they start making new 26'' bikes again ;0)

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    bottom line is that there are soooo many 26'' bikes in circulation that you should always be able to find something.
    Not going to lie, I've literally picked up a few on CL for the components.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Not going to lie, I've literally picked up a few on CL for the components.
    You have to grab what you can find. I recently bought a brand new Fox fork some guy had bought but never fitted. Paid a lot for it but new 26'' Fox forks are hard to get these days so had to go for it.

mtbr member
    I did the same with a BOS Deville two years ago. Straight steerer made it even harder to find a (nicer) fork, and even though the guy asked for a lot of money, I happily paid for it and got the best upgrade for my bike so far.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Hardtail Steel Forever
    You have to grab what you can find. I recently bought a brand new Fox fork some guy had bought but never fitted. Paid a lot for it but new 26'' Fox forks are hard to get these days so had to go for it.
    Yeah, I got a straight steerer F80 Float RLC for my SS build about 2 years ago now, for more than I wanted, but that damn thing is borderline unobtanium at this point.

mtbr member
    A main, big benefit of moving away from 26ers to 27.5 is getting a lower center of gravity. Along with that came lower standover.

Everyone is more than welcome to have their own opinions about anything. But this is like saying you like squares more than circles because there's no edges. Its just.... kinda flat out not true, its not even an opinion at that point.

Bikes now are low, long, and slack. This moved away from 26ers closing in on 15 inch tall BB's towards the end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's the forks that are an issue. It's already getting tricky to find good used ones and very hard to buy new ones but the bottom line is that there are soooo many 26'' bikes in circulation that you should always be able to find something...
    Agree. I am finding it difficult to find a straight steerer fork with QR. My stanchion is getting looser every ride!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    Agree. I am finding it difficult to find a straight steerer fork with QR. My stanchion is getting looser every ride!
    You may just need new seals and wipers unless you've literally expanded the stanchion. If it's a popular fork, check ebay as well. I sometimes see random lowers and uppers for popular forks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    You may just need new seals and wipers unless you've literally expanded the stanchion. If it's a popular fork, check ebay as well. I sometimes see random lowers and uppers for popular forks.
    Mine had new seals and wipers but they did not fix the problem. I had been just searching for complete forks but I will now look on Ebay for the stanchions as well.

Cycologist
    I recently sold an old 26er Superlight but just sold the frame with most of the parts rather than the whole bike. Really just because I wanted to keep the fork as a spare for my other two 26ers. And since it wasn't a complete bike, I kept the wheels as well.

But I mainly ride my 29er.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Just finished building up an older 26" SC Blur LT. It rides higher than my Giant Trance (650b) by quite a bit. Standover is pretty similar. I like 'em both a lot, but gotta give the edge to the Giant and its Fox 34 up front. I really wish there was a cheap fork that's stiffer than the Fox 32 150mm with a straight steerer it came with.

Destined for 26ers-santa-cruz-blur-lt.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Just finished building up an older 26" SC Blur LT. It rides higher than my Giant Trance (650b) by quite a bit. Standover is pretty similar. I like 'em both a lot, but gotta give the edge to the Giant and its Fox 34 up front. I really wish there was a cheap fork that's stiffer than the Fox 32 150mm with a straight steerer it came with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa-Cruz-Blur-LT.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	1205221
    Well, check you headset cup size. You could probably just fit an external bottom cup and then fit a tapered steerer fork and then you will have a wide variety of options.

Also lets not forget that slopestyle is 26er territory.

mtbr member
    I still have a few 26ers that I don't ride much anymore and have been moved to my street/path/loaner bikes. 2 of them (2011 Jamis XCT3 Carbon) are a bit more modern with tapered head tubes, 67.5 head angle , thru-axel rear and are carbon frame with a low BB. They ride great but I still grab my Breezer Repack 27.5 more, I just like the ride. With prices for 26ers so low I doubt I'd get rid of them. I have given one of them to my son but we'll see about the other in the future. They are fun to ride/toss around though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    When talking about parts, you are really just talking about rims, tyres and forks.

Tyres, not a problem. You may not be able to buy the latest rubber but with so many 26'' bikes out there you'll always get something decent.

Rims, should be ok too. Again, lot of 26'' bikes.

It's the forks that are an issue. It's already getting tricky to find good used ones and very hard to buy new ones but the bottom line is that there are soooo many 26'' bikes in circulation that you should always be able to find something. At least until they start making new 26'' bikes again ;0)
    As far as forks go there are a few 2019 forks with 26" offset now. While they aren't being advertised as 26" forks, new 650b forks with "short offset" are just 26" forks with extra mud clearance. I'm personally fine with 650b offset and 26" wheels but for those that care about 5mm of offset there are new options out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    ..new 650b forks with "short offset" are just 26" forks with extra mud clearance..
    Yeah, this is true but add straight steerer into the mix and watch those options shrink.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Bikes now are low, long, and slack.
    And that is not for everyone...
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Definitely! i get annoyed with the pedal strikes myself sometimes. But the OP isnt one of those people. His main issues were:
    The main reasons are stand over height and center of gravity.
    If thats your main reasons, the new geometry bikes are definitely for you. They're lower overall, and thanks to dropper focused top tubes and geo, standover and seat tube lengths are lower as well.

Special Ed
    Glad to see this.

I'm an old fart and I still hit my 26" Ellsworth Truth hard. Same size at 5'8". Love that bike and would never give it up easily.

I got some misc parts laying around and trying to build up another 26er for my son as he grows. Problem is finding the remaining parts. Came on here to ask a question until I saw this thread. I didn't know about the 26" fork tube change from 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 and when it happened. Trying to avoid a bad purchase on craigslist but most selling don't know anything about their bikes. Frustrating.
    'Things you own...begin owning you.'

mtbr member
    Some 26ers have 44mm headtubes, which can run any fork, no matter what. Some late 26ers did have tapered headtubes. Both of those configurations are the ones to go for, as you can absolutely find a fork for them.

I have a cheap 2010 giant reign, medium/18" if you're interested! 44mm head tube too.

Special Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Some 26ers have 44mm headtubes, which can run any fork, no matter what. Some late 26ers did have tapered headtubes. Both of those configurations are the ones to go for, as you can absolutely find a fork for them.

I have a cheap 2010 giant reign, medium/18" if you're interested! 44mm head tube too.
    Mine's ancient as it's a '98. The frame I'm looking to fix up is an '03. What's hard to find is a 1.25" 26" fork that is decent.

Afraid you may be too far since I'm in Texas. Will PM though.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
    Mine's ancient as it's a '98. The frame I'm looking to fix up is an '03. What's hard to find is a 1.25" 26" fork that is decent.

Afraid you may be too far since I'm in Texas. Will PM though.
    Setup a search alert on ebay. I routinely see good condition SID's and Rebas on there. Pretty much my go to because they are still easy to service, light, and IMO much lower maintenance than older fox.

Special Ed
    Trying to do research is also just as hard. Found a 120mm Psylo and a Recon Silver TK. Other than one is air and the other coil, I have no clue on the difference so not sure which to check out.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Works great for those with motors.

I think that's the point...