mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Buying cheap bike for parts

My bike is a GT Agressor 3.0 and soon im going to need new brake pads and tires. I was thinking of getting a cheap bike off kijiji to scavenge some parts from. I saw a kranked js2011 that is in new shape I could get for 40 bucks. It has dual suspension and shimano altus parts. I know it's a cheap department store bike but I figured for 40 bucks I could use the tires and keep the tubes as spares, get some new grips (mine have a tear) and brake pads and maybe even swap the front disc brake onto my GT since I only have rim brakes now. Good idea?

mtbr member
    Only you can know. If the parts are good for your bike, sure. If not, no.

mtbr member
    If the bike is in good condition, yes it's a good idea. Even if you only use a few parts off it you can sell the rest, get your money back and effectively get free parts. Or even make money.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    If the bike is in good condition, yes it's a good idea. Even if you only use a few parts off it you can sell the rest, get your money back and effectively get free parts. Or even make money.
    I did this, bought a decent bike with a broken frame; I think it was $40. I used the wheels and bb5s (I was running v-brakes prior) and sold the fork and a few other parts plus my old wheels and v-brakes (this was a good while ago), recycled the frame. Came out with upgrades and way ahead on cash for my efforts. But that was a pretty rare find.

On the bike you're looking at, the tires, etc are probably pretty low end but if you are tight on money, why not? Your fork and wheel will have to be disc compatible or you'll have to use a wheel off the donor bike and it will need to be compatible with your fork; just thinking it may be bolt-on.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data