mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Back wheel clamps slightly crooked.

Hey guys/gals. So I was wondering what I could look at to try to correct this issue.

The rear wheel on my 26" Avalanche 3.0 angles a slight bit toward left(non cassette) side when I clamp it. When I undo the QR, it goes to the center more or less, but as soon as I attempt to tighten QR, it angles the wheel closer to the left side.

What could be causing that? Bent rear where wheel mounts? Bad bearings? Something else with hub?

No pics, but I can get one tonight if it would help.

Thanks

mtbr member
    remove the wheel and put it in the frame the other direction. if the wheel shifts to the opposite side, it's the wheel. if it is off-center on the same side, it's the frame.

check the wheel dish and the frame alignment. any decent bike shop should have a frame alignment gauge and a wheel dishing tool, but there are some DIY solutions to do that.

also, make sure the springs on your QR are oriented the correct way. you'd be surprised at how often that is done wrong.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 06-19-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Flappity flappity flap
    Sounds like out of parallel dropouts on an AL frame.

Dropout alignment tools can be added to MT's list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't forget to make sure your quick release rod isn't bent.
    1983 Ritchey Everest
    1996 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    1996 Ibis Mojo Ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    remove the wheel and put it in the frame the other direction. if the wheel shifts to the opposite side, it's the wheel. if it is off-center on the same side, it's the frame.

check the wheel dish and the frame alignment. any decent bike shop should have a frame alignment gauge and a wheel dishing tool, but there are some DIY solutions to do that.

also, make sure the springs on your QR are oriented the correct way. you'd be surprised at how often that is done wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Don't forget to make sure your quick release rod isn't bent.
    Awesome, thanks. I will try the wheel in reverse deal and see what to does.

When you say “dropouts”, are you talking the slots the wheel slides in to?

I will check QR skewer as I have broke one in the past.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

x2^
    I brake for stinkbugs

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrowe View Post
    When you say “dropouts”, are you talking the slots the wheel slides in to?
    Yep, the thick plates at the end of your seat/chain stays where the axle slots in.

You probably want to find someone pretty well versed in 'cold setting' frames.
    Not an unusually easy task, and you don't want to mess up on an AL frame from what I understand of the process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yep, the thick plates at the end of your seat/chain stays where the axle slots in.

You probably want to find someone pretty well versed in 'cold setting' frames.
    Not an unusually easy task, and you don't want to mess up on an AL frame from what I understand of the process.
    Okay thanks.

That should be something a LBS can do???

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would just double check real quick to make sure the spring on the skewer is not backward. I see this all the time. The fat end of the spring is on the inside and gets over the axle. This makes the wheel sit in the dropout all wonky. It's the easiest thing to check, and fix if that is the case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    I would just double check real quick to make sure the spring on the skewer is not backward. I see this all the time. The fat end of the spring is on the inside and gets over the axle. This makes the wheel sit in the dropout all wonky. It's the easiest thing to check, and fix if that is the case.
    just to be clear on that ,the narrow side of the spring goes towards the hub

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    just to be clear on that ,the narrow side of the spring goes towards the hub
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So, checked springs on skewer... good there. I didn’t notice that the dropout on the side the wheel angles toward looks a little chewed up. See pics.

I broke a skewer a few years back, and I wonder if that caused the chewing on the left side dropout. When the skewer was broke, the wheel would literally shift over and rub on bottom of rear triangle... that’s how I noticed.

Check out pic and let me know. Maybe a little filing would do the trick?

This is the chewed one. Might be hard to tell, but looks like some metal has rolled over into the slot.

Whereas this one(freewheel) side is pretty clean.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got a round file?
    1983 Ritchey Everest
    1996 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    1996 Ibis Mojo Ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Got a round file?
    I don’t have a rattail file, but I do have a flat one. It’s really just a little bit of a rollover on the flat side of the slot, it’s not really in the round part of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Back wheel clamps slightly crooked.

So looking a little more closely, I’m starting to wonder if my axle isn’t set up properly. I wonder if I have more axle sticking out on the freewheel side than I do the opposing side, and that’s why I am shifting to the left. ????

Before I only really paid attention to the bottom part of the rear triangle on the left side, but this is a picture of the top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quick question... what is the term for an “off-center” hub?

Also how would I tell it is “on-center”?

I am planning to pull apart my hubs to re-grease, and since my wheel is closer to left, I plan to adjust it during assembly.

Best practice in doing this?

mtbr member
    Quick question... what is the term for an “off-center” hub?
    Off center wheel would be a better way to say it, aka out of dish. A properly dished wheel is where the rim is centered between the 2 locknuts. If you take it by a shop they could check it for you, there are other ways too like flipping it around on a truing stand. You could do that on the bike too but if the dropouts or frame is off that could affect things.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Off center wheel would be a better way to say it, aka out of dish. A properly dished wheel is where the rim is centered between the 2 locknuts. If you take it by a shop they could check it for you, there are other ways too like flipping it around on a truing stand. You could do that on the bike too but if the dropouts or frame is off that could affect things.
    I will turn it around to see if it is off the other way. If so, it is a good indication it is out of dish.

Thanks

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I always thought "off center" to be for the hub (adjust the hub to fix) and "out of dish" for the rim (adjust the spokes to fix). Is that not the right way to say it?

Either way, turning it around would eliminate the frame as the source of the problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    This I figured it out. Rear axle is bent. I had broken a skewer a while back... I have a feeling this is aftermath from then, just never noticed.

When I spin the rear skewer, the axle spins and was easily noticeably out of whack.

mtbr member
    This I figured it out. Rear axle is bent. I had broken a skewer a while back... I have a feeling this is aftermath from then, just never noticed.

When I spin the rear skewer, the axle spins and was easily noticeably out of whack.

Bent axles are often the result of bent dropouts, I'd highly recommend getting them checked.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Bent axles are often the result of bent dropouts, I'd highly recommend getting them checked.
    Thanks for the info. I am thinking that is where my problems are stemming from. Will have Performance Bike look at it. I work 15 minutes from them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey quick question, would you happen to know where I can find what size axle I have? I’m going to attempt to replace it myself and in the process, going to repack my bearings and all that. Let me know, thanks