Having a nice day!

Any good 26 x 2.6 tires out there?

I've been playing recently with different combinations of wheel/tires sizes on my bikes and I really like tires like the Rekon or Nobby Nic in the 2.6 width as they offer plenty of traction without a big weight hit. Problem is they just make them in 27.5 and 29" size. Anyone know of a similar type tire in a 26" size? I think it would be perfect for my Mach 5.7C.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    A lot of the 26 x 2.5+ are heavy downhill tires.

Bontrager Big Earls are 2.7 if you can fit it.
    Kenda Kinetic
    Minion DHF in 2.5

Also, Hans Dampfs are quite a bit larger than NN's for the same width IMO.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Having a nice day!
    Thanks. Yeah, that is my issue in that most in the 2.5 range are pretty heavy. Even looked at the Continental Trail King but it seems to measure above 900g also. Not that I'm a huge weigh weenie, but something around 700g seems to be obtainable for 26.

mtbr member
    Kenda Professional tires...then Continental are really good. Mongoose make good factory BMX tires, like MODE 360 or MODE 540...Hoop_D BMX....

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaslo View Post
    Kenda Professional tires...then Continental are really good. Mongoose make good factory BMX tires, like MODE 360 or MODE 540...Hoop_D BMX....
    ???
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Barely in control
    Dirt Wizard 2.75" 800g

Close enough.

Flappity flappity flap
    Nope, there's some good 2.4's and 2.8's though.

(DHF, Dirt wiz, chunky monkey)

Come on, dare me!
    Even though not 2.6, a 2.35 Hans Dampf on a wide rim will give you a nice fat footprint. I have this same tire on a 26mm ID rim and it has a nice volume and gives excellent grip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nevgals come in 2.5 but are heavy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Nope, there's some good 2.4's and 2.8's though.

(DHF, Dirt wiz, chunky monkey)
    CST Rock Hawk Wire Bead Tire 26 x 2.4 (not 2.5). Works great but it's heavy 2.25 lbs. I don't know about you but I'd much rather have a slight decrease in handling with a heavy tire than have a thin-sidewall blowout and end up falling down the hillside after a tough turn downhill. A lot of injuries posted on here because of a blowout of a thinner tire.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

RIP Friendgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Not that I'm a huge weigh weenie, but something around 700g seems to be obtainable for 26.
    700g would be pretty light for that size tire. 800 would be the lightest i would trust. Just sayin
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Dirt Wizard 2.75" 800g

Close enough.

Do you run these? If so, on what size rims? Surly says it's designed for 35-65 mm inner width rims, but wanted to see real-world experiences.

Tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post
    Do you run these? If so, on what size rims? Surly says it's designed for 35-65 mm inner width rims, but wanted to see real-world experiences.

Tubeless?
    Wow these are really cool!!! Jenson USA is selling them for $90 each. Their website says they are supposedly tubeless compatible.

I would not worry too much about rim width, I've gone up to 3x tire/rim width and am OK. These are 78mm. My rim is 28mm so that's 2.78x, still under 3.0.

However, rim width is the least of the problems. The good news about these tires is exactly the same as the bad news about these tires: the tire will grow in height and affect the 26" fork arch limitations. On paper these should be around the same height as 27.5 x 2.10. The reason I think so is reviews on other websites have measured 27.5 x 3.0 tires and they are the same height as 29 x 2.3 tires. 3.0/2.3 is 30% more width = 1.5 inches higher, from 27.5 to 29.0 inches.

The math:
    From the larger tires, 0.7 inches wider = 1.5 inches taller based on 27.5 x 3.0 vs. 29.0 x 2.3. However, the stock 26" tire is 1.95 inches. If 26 x 2.75 is 0.8 inches wider than stock, then 0.8/0.7 x 1.5 = 1.7 inches higher, or 26 x 2.75 turns into 27.7 x 2.75. That's very close to the fork arch height, see below.

If they don't clear your 26" fork arch, then you may as well get a 27.5" fork and next thing you know you have a mixed-sized bike, which I will probably do even if these fit my stock fork. I dunno about removing the arch, that just seems to invite trouble. I have a 26 x 2.4 on right now (around 27.2 inches high) and just checked the length between the tire and arch, it's only 0.4 inches (my fork arch can hold around 27.6 inches high and that's at only 25 psi in the 26 x 2.4 tire). This was also checked by a 27.5 x 2.5 tire barely NOT fitting in the 26" fork arch. 27.5 x 2.5 is actually 28.2 inches high. If you put on a 26 x 2.75 inch tire, if it's indeed 27.7 inches high, even at a lower psi than 25 I just don't see it being a good idea even if it barely clears the arch.
    Last edited by richj8990; 03-03-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    If they don't clear your 26" fork arch, then you may as well get a 27.5" fork and next thing you know you have a mixed-sized bike, which I will probably do even if these fit my stock fork.
    Depending on what you want for geo, a number of rigid forks are cheap and clear pretty much anything short of a full fat tire.

mtbr member
    Depending on what you want for geo, a number of rigid forks are cheap and clear pretty much anything short of a full fat tire.
    I was thinking about that, especially if you can get the psi down under 20. Right now the 26 x 2.4 psi is roughly 25-26. It actually makes sense because I also use the bike as a road bike at night and don't really need suspension. Good idea Zowie!

QILEFU 26/27.5/29" inch Mountain bicycle full carbon bike front fork disc brake tapered tube MTB 26/27.5/29er $55.99 ONE POUND WEIGHT!!! My heavy steel fork is around 7 lbs, that's 6 lbs off the bike right there. Now the 26+ tire will add a bit of weight but still, no worries. I'm gonna try it.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    My heavy steel fork is around 7 lbs, that's 6 lbs off the bike right there. Now the 26+ tire will add a bit of weight but still, no worries. I'm gonna try it.
    I am not sure that is correct. What fork are you running that is 7lbs? That's 3200 grams, most hardtail frames don't weigh that much. And not sure I would trust a 1lb fork off road.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Flappity flappity flap
    QILEFU 26/27.5/29" inch Mountain bicycle full carbon bike front fork disc brake tapered tube MTB 26/27.5/29er $55.99 ONE POUND WEIGHT!!! My heavy steel fork is around 7 lbs, that's 6 lbs off the bike right there. Now the 26+ tire will add a bit of weight but still, no worries. I'm gonna try it.
    Get your dentist to buy it for you, should be a good investment for them.

FWIW, I figure a three pound fork is really light. I'm weird though.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Get your dentist to buy it for you, should be a good investment for them.

FWIW, I figure a three pound fork is really light. I'm weird though.
    3 lbs for a suspension fork is really light (think Fox Factory Step Cast 32 or SID). IDK what an offroad rigid fork should weigh, but with nothing moving it should be less.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post

Tubeless?
    No, I don't run them. But I've thought about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Even though not 2.6, a 2.35 Hans Dampf on a wide rim will give you a nice fat footprint. I have this same tire on a 26mm ID rim and it has a nice volume and gives excellent grip.
    Agreed. I really enjoyed this tire on a 25mm id rim. Seemed to have as much or more volume than the 2.5 Minion I've got on that wheelset now.

Also, regarding other people saying the 2.5 DHF is heavy...well only if you buy the DH version. The EXO folding bead version isn't a light XC tire but its sub 900g. Still my favorite front tire. Well, actually the 27.5x2.8 version on my plus bike is now...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    wtb rangers, running 2.8's on my 26" chromag stylus! fit in pike no problem!, on a pair of stans baron 35mm internal rims.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    3 lbs for a suspension fork is really light (think Fox Factory Step Cast 32 or SID). IDK what an offroad rigid fork should weigh, but with nothing moving it should be less.
    Three pounds sounds awful light and/or expensive for a suspension fork.

Two and a half pounds for a rigid steel fork is about as light as I like the feel of.

Never run a suspension fork much under five pounds that felt good to me.

mtbr member
    Three pounds sounds awful light and/or expensive for a suspension fork.

Two and a half pounds for a rigid steel fork is about as light as I like the feel of.

Never run a suspension fork much under five pounds that felt good to me.
    I looked more at the 1 lb rigid carbon fiber fork and yes it was too good to be true. It's real but has problems. One guy did crack the fork after riding hard, not in half or anything but he said the fiber is peeling down to the bottom and forming cracks. I think a rigid fork would be fine but some air forks are only 4 lbs and you can just put them on lockout as needed anyway so I'll try that. Is that a rationalization? lol. BTW my cheap coil fork seized a few days ago and I am riding rigid and you know what, it's not that bad. I can go down hills OK and it's not as bad as it seems. But air forks are so cheap now I'll just do that instead.