mtbr member
    Aug 2018

29" steel fork on On One Inbred 26"

Greatings everybody!

I am really fresh around here.

I would like to know if anyone tried to fit a 29" cromo fork to an On One Inbred 26"frame?
    I am talking about forks like Salsa Firestarter, Surly ECR 29".

Also has anyone tried to drill holes on a On One Cromo 26" fork, for reason to put paniers on it?

I have the Inbred frame and want to build a steel touring bike( on budget).

Thank you!

Jouido

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Do you know what the axle to crown difference is between the forks? For touring it really may not matter much, you might appreciate the front end higher for the sake of comfort.

I'm generally completely against drilling things like forks, but if it's going to stay on the road, it may be ok. I may just be over cautious, I'm certain you don't want to break a fork while riding though.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hi,

For the Salsa Firestarter and Surly Krampus 29"for the axle to crown is 483 mm, for the Surly ECR it is 468 mm. The original Surly Troll 26" fork with suspension correction has 453mm, the one without correction has 420mm. The On One CroMo 26"Fork has 440mm.

On my old but gold Cannondale F700, I have drilled a hole for paniers on my alloy Fatty Fork, and I have ridden several tours, and mtb races, without any problems.

But I would not recommend to anyone to do it but I had no choice.

On One said that the On One CroMo fork will work the best, but has no pannier mounts on the fork.

mtbr member
    I had a Krampus fork on my 26" Inbred for a while. The steering geometry still felt ok with the tall fork, but I didn't like the overall feeling because the bottom bracket was too high. I use that bike for riding around town with a child seat over the back wheel, and the high BB combined with the extra 40lbs above the rear wheel made for a rather tippy feeling bike that made me nervous. I bought a used 453mm Surly 1x1 fork this summer and that feels much better riding with a kid in the seat.

If your weight is going to be on panniers beside the wheel then maybe the effect won't be so bad.

mtbr member
    The fork that is closest is the 453 sus corrected Troll fork which will slacken the HT angle a little and a 29er fork with the 26" wheel would be too much IMO. The 440 troll fork doesn't have all the attachments as the 420, but I doubt you would want to steepen the HT angle using the non-suspension corrected fork. Another option might be rubber strips to protect the paint, p-clamps, zip ties, and tape on the fork legs.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Ooh, the 27.5+ version of the ECR fork is 447mm and covered in mounts. How about that one?

mtbr member
    Offset is 43mm for the ECR fork vs the 40mm of the troll fork. What's the offset for the inbred fork?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.