Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

26ers over 10 years old

138K views 691 replies 296 participants last post by  RicoMack 
#1 ·
Anyone besides myself love their 26er so much that they keep rebuilding it instead of moving on to a new one. I rebuilt my 2003 Giant Warp DS3 last spring / summer and love it more than the day I bought it. Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame
Red Auto part Engine Motorcycle accessories Suspension
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

See less See more
#219 ·
I have three, 1995 Cannondale M500 with an Amp F3XC fork (mine), 1995 Cannondale M400, and a 1996 Scott Vertigo LSD. All three got ridden this weekend at Raystown Lake. My wife and 2 daughters took me for a surprise biking weekend for my upcoming 50th bday! Bought them all new and would have a hard time getting rid of any of them.

#226 ·
Anyone besides myself love their 26er so much that they keep rebuilding it instead of moving on to a new one.
Wouldn't use the word "love," more like "cheap."

My 1995 Performance Ti is still in the family, upgraded the Mag21 to a 80mm Manitou circa 2002 and installed V-Brakes 2 years ago when my son brought it to CalPoly... :)

Pict is from 2006 he was already starting to covet it at Mammoth, I'll see if he can send a recent pict.... Rode it consistently until 4yrs ago, now on a Tallboy LTc, big jump.

Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

#229 ·
My 2003 KHS XC904r

I got back into riding this year after taking several years off and soon realized that my old bike needed some attention. The rear pivot had a LOT of play in it and my LBS told me that the pivot bushings were impossible to find so I almost gave up and started shopping for something new. Atlas, the internet provides. I found a rebuild kit on ebay and now she rides like new again.

Then, of course I went on to do some other upgrades. Tubeless tires and 1x9 drive train are freaking awesome!

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel

#231 ·
my wifes unkown year specialized hardrock. i think its a mid 90s.

1x10 XT drivetrain, Carbon bar, FSA Canti brakes. tubeless. nothing special but its a lot of fun to ride and relatively light. lighter than my Scalpel by a few pounds.

before the work. I threw together the single speed stuff to see if it was rideable and in enough shape to continue with the work.

Fully stripped down and repainted. I relocated and brazed on new cable stops for the brakes and RD. Then had to make a rear brake cable hanger so I found some old tools and threw this together.

#232 ·
I've posted the stumpy before but it's only getting better with time.

96 Stumpjumper FS M2 Comp with a 2008 Sid Race fork that I still LOVE, 1x10 XT drive, XT V-BRAKES, HED wheelset, Thomson Elite seatpost, Cane Creek S8 headset, Ritchey pro stem/bars, Shimano Saint pedals, and it just got a new Henge comp saddle thats not on the bike in this picture. I'm not sure on actual weight but this bike is featherweight.

And this was my very first mountain bike that I bought new in 06 at 19 years old, a 2006 or 2007 Hardrock Sport. Back then I thought it was a Porsche but now I know how terrible the components were, how overweight it is and how crappy the geo is for real xc riding. My little brother got it from me and I just bought it back a couple weeks ago for $40. I added a new Shimano Deore LX crank w/octalink bb, XT derailuer, HG54 chain, XT t780 V-BRAKES, Deore shifter, Deore brake levers, body geometry grips, a perfect condition but old body geometry saddle (not in the photo) some new plastic platform pedals that are surprisingly grippy. It's a perfect bike for crappy weather or a spare bike for my dad or a buddy to ride.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#240 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

I think this qualifies for this thread- 1992 Scott Sawtooth. I picked it up for $60 on the local classifieds. I put some new WTBs on it and have wider riser handlebars on order. Originally the plan was to build it to a single-speed cruiser or a drop-bar MTB, but after seeing how good of condition the components are in and how well it functions and fits me as is, I'm going to ride it as a rigid MTB for a while!

#242 ·
View attachment 1104799

I think this qualifies for this thread- 1992 Scott Sawtooth. I picked it up for $60 on the local classifieds. I put some new WTBs on it and have wider riser handlebars on order. Originally the plan was to build it to a single-speed cruiser or a drop-bar MTB, but after seeing how good of condition the components are in and how well it functions and fits me as is, I'm going to ride it as a rigid MTB for a while!
That's awesome! I love the retro color schemes. I picked up two old rigid Stumpjumpers a couple weeks ago, one is a '92 or '93 made in Japan of Tange Prestige steel and the other, the one I'm really excited about, is a '89 steel rigid Stumpjumper with the awesome pink/aqua colors.

I picked up an older set of Hed Jet wheels for the '92/'93 and will probably keep it a 3x9 and use it for running around the paved trails in my neighborhood. I'm currently and very slowly removing all the blue carbon/fiberglass from the Jets so they look decent on the green frame. The glass is easy, it's the permanent rubber glue that's a nightmare to remove from the rims.

I just completely stripped the '89 and picked up a old set of Mavic X221 wheels with Deore and WTB Grease Guard hubs that came off a '03 Specialized Epic shortly after it was bought. This bike has a 1x10 Shimano SLX drivetrain, Wolftooth elliptical drop stop ring and Shimano XT T780 brakes on the way. I'll probably add a 1" to 1 1/8" quill stem adapter so I can install a new Ritchey stem and bars as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#243 ·
I need to take an updated picture, but this is my 96 trek 7000. Next month I will have owned it for 20 years and it's still rocking. I recently swapped on a shorter bomber fork (100mm) of the same vintage, wider bars, shorter stem. I converted to SS back in 08 to try that out. Liked it enough that I bought a 29er SS. Just last month I swapped the trek to 1x7 using the original derailleur and grip shift (new cassette and chain).

Since I had back surgery in 2012 I sold my SS 29er for a full suspension which is my primary ride these days. In spite of that, I can't sell the trek. At the same time it's not really worth much if I did want to sell so why bother.

#244 ·
Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel
After buying and updating a few components on the Marin pictured a week ago, I decided to convert my old Trek into a SS since it has semi-horizontal dropouts. It worked perfectly, no need for a tensioner. I upgraded the brakes, levers and grips and it rides great. Nice and fairly light. Running a 32/20 set-up.

#246 ·
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle handlebar

1990 Marin Muirwoods. I built it up in '92. Much use as a heavy duty commuter. Now only a fun bike, but I can't see changing. Fits me too well. I'm seriously considering a redo to 2X8 from 2X7. Needs refinish, considering powder coat.

BTW you're looking at 31# right there, tool bag , pump and all. Bathroom scale guesstimate, but I bet I'm within a few ounces

#270 ·
View attachment 1106334
1990 Marin Muirwoods. I built it up in '92. Much use as a heavy duty commuter. Now only a fun bike, but I can't see changing. Fits me too well. I'm seriously considering a redo to 2X8 from 2X7. Needs refinish, considering powder coat.

BTW you're looking at 31# right there, tool bag , pump and all. Bathroom scale guesstimate, but I bet I'm within a few ounces
This is getting fun. These wheels are 'in the rafters'. Instead of fixing what ain't broke and redishing, I got new wheels (front too. got a set for....it's a disease...)
But I may be under the 30 pound mark.....
Keep ya posted.
Oh, and the frame is getting powder coated mystical blue...............

#248 ·
Mine needs new freehub, play the old respace game and redish. Haven't decided on type of shifter. 7 speed thumb supposedly will work. Sunrace has an 8 sp thumb. IF I powder coat. That's when I'll rearrange the closet and clean out the cobwebs.

#251 ·
17 Years Old and Still "Bunny Hop'n"

1999 Schwinn 4 Banger, Bass Boat Gold, 19" Frame. Only the frame and swing arms (upper/lower) are original. All components are modern, dropouts are from a 2001 Schwinn Straight 6, rear shock is a "Frankenshock" built by combining a Fox Vanilla RC body with a Fox Vanilla R shaft and the trunnion mount from a 2001 Schwinn Straight 6.

Great ride; 5 inches of travel, truly an All Mountain Bike.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.