Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Slow
    Jan 2011
    After 23 years, I retired my 1993 Barracuda A2X last month.

My A2X in it's final form
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I bought the bare frame from a LBS to replace the Bridgestone MB-1 that UPS bent when shipped home in the spring. I moved all my Suntour XC Pro stuff over to the Barracuda and picked up a rigid chromoly 1-1/8 fork (MB-1 had a 1 inch Ritchey Logic fork). A year or two later, I bought a Mag21 and installed a long travel conversion bringing it up to a giant 60mm of travel. At some point, I was at the pinnacle of 90's performance with Onza HO clipless pedals as well.
    Last edited by RetroGrouchNJ; 09-19-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: stupid img link

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Beautiful bike. Never heard of that brand before, but I would snatch up one in a heartbeat if I saw it for sale.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Slow
    Jan 2011
    Barracuda factoid - Yeti built a bunch of stuff for Barracuda during their early days, including their higher end race stuff. There is a very good chance that Frank The Welder built my frame during his time at Yeti. The next time I head to VT, I plan bringing the frame to see if he will sign it for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    Barracuda factoid - Yeti built a bunch of stuff for Barracuda during their early days, including their higher end race stuff. There is a very good chance that Frank The Welder built my frame during his time at Yeti. The next time I head to VT, I plan bringing the frame to see if he will sign it for me.
    That would be really cool. With all the hoopla over the yeti cups and such, I believe if I ever found a yeti bike I could probably sell for a good profit no matter the year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouchNJ View Post
    After 23 years, I retired my 1993 Barracuda A2X last month.

My A2X in it's final form
    26ers over 10 years old-1993-barracuda-a2x.jpg

I bought the bare frame from a LBS to replace the Bridgestone MB-1 that UPS bent when shipped home in the spring. I moved all my Suntour XC Pro stuff over to the Barracuda and picked up a rigid chromoly 1-1/8 fork (MB-1 had a 1 inch Ritchey Logic fork). A year or two later, I bought a Mag21 and installed a long travel conversion bringing it up to a giant 60mm of travel. At some point, I was at the pinnacle of 90's performance with Onza HO clipless pedals as well.
    Nice. Somehow the hotlink wasn't displaying for me.

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Still riding my first full-sus, a '03 Giant VT1 that I bought new in 2005. I've replaced the common wear items over the years, changed the stem, upgraded to a much better FOX TALAS RLC 140mm fork, had a bunch of different tires on it, but it's always been a blast to ride, and decently efficient at climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow, that's a lot of linkage for a single pivot rear triangle.

26ers over 10 years old-2003-giant-vt1.jpg

VT1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of linkage for a single pivot rear triangle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2003 Giant VT1.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	1095326
    I agree that it is, but it works great. Plus with the SPV valve in the rear shock, and the correct air pressure in both chambers, it climbs great with almost no bob, and feels great when descending or jumping.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'll have to get some picks up. My bike is an 04 Specialized Hardrock Sport that is in the middle of being built. Bought it for $100 cdn (about $70). Replaced the front fork with a Suntour XCR ($129 cdn) and a firm coil ($20 US), new chain, cassette, crankset and BB ($150). I just bought a set of disk compatible rims, Alex DH22's with 36 spokes for $140 US. Should hold up to my 250+ size.

My plan is to buy new hyd disk brakes, 2x10 drivetrain (keeping the brand new crankset) and a new 32 mm ish air shock. I also want a shorter stem, longer and lighter bars. The XCR can go on my wife's 05 Hardrock and replace the original Gila T5 pogo stick. I also have an 08 Hardrock that I bought as a spare bike for $90 Cdn and picked up a Suntour XCM for $20 cdn to replace the rusted and seized shock that was on that bike. It came off of a Giant that a guy upgraded. Replaced the BB on the spare bike and it's getting parts from the bin or on sale to get it riding as cheap as possible.

So that's 2 bikes that qualify and 1 that almost does.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    2005 Giant Reign 3 still is a beautiful bike
    26ers over 10 years old-imgp1516-min.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here is my 2000 Kona Blast. Just picked it up this past Sunday. It's currently at my LBS getting a complete tune up, wheels trued, new chain, and cables. I'll pick it up Monday and finally get to take it for her inaugural, (to me), ride!

" width="549">

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ventana Marble Peak FS with some updates26ers over 10 years old-img_6811-4-.jpg26ers over 10 years old-img_6830-2-.jpg26ers over 10 years old-img_6834-2-.jpg26ers over 10 years old-img_6817-3-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    How about a NOS 26er? dual control, UST wheels Ect. NOS 26er frames are still available from DHgate, they are an online broker. This frame was purchased for $170.00.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

2005 Kona Dawg Matic

26ers over 10 years old-kona.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 891slow View Post

Name:	kona.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	1097474
    Nice, I have a hardtail with nearly the same paint scheme

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I just got it going, got the frame and shock from eBay, rims from Craigslist, brakes from a friend, and recycled the shifting components from an older bike. Still getting used to it.

mtbr member
    I just put this together with spare parts.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have three, 1995 Cannondale M500 with an Amp F3XC fork (mine), 1995 Cannondale M400, and a 1996 Scott Vertigo LSD. All three got ridden this weekend at Raystown Lake. My wife and 2 daughters took me for a surprise biking weekend for my upcoming 50th bday! Bought them all new and would have a hard time getting rid of any of them.

1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

mtbr member
    May 2012
    All cleaned and tuned up! 2000 Kona Blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgringo View Post
    All cleaned and tuned up! 2000 Kona Blast.
    Now that's what you call a stem!

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Now that's what you call a stem!
    And yet he was popping wheelies despite it!
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Finally!
    2004 Devinci Magma. Has the extra gusset on the head tube for the bigger forks. I ride it about 10% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    And yet he was popping wheelies despite it!
    What, if any suggestions, for a replacement for it? I did notice on my ride last night that I seem to be leaning forward quite a bit, but, like you said, I am able to get a wheelie out of it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgringo View Post
    What, if any suggestions, for a replacement for it?
    Anything you like. I prefer a short stem, usually between 50 and 70mm, but it will vary from bike to bike. Typically only feels right/better with wide bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithD42 View Post
    Anyone besides myself love their 26er so much that they keep rebuilding it instead of moving on to a new one.
    Wouldn't use the word "love," more like "cheap."

My 1995 Performance Ti is still in the family, upgraded the Mag21 to a 80mm Manitou circa 2002 and installed V-Brakes 2 years ago when my son brought it to CalPoly...

Pict is from 2006 he was already starting to covet it at Mammoth, I'll see if he can send a recent pict.... Rode it consistently until 4yrs ago, now on a Tallboy LTc, big jump.

26ers over 10 years old-untitled.jpg

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by 891slow View Post

Name:	kona.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	1097474
    Love those old Konas!

mtbr member
    2004 Giant NRS1 composite been up graded to 2x10,wider bars slightly shorter stem, poor old thing needs some suspension linkage love

mtbr member
    My 2003 KHS XC904r

I got back into riding this year after taking several years off and soon realized that my old bike needed some attention. The rear pivot had a LOT of play in it and my LBS told me that the pivot bushings were impossible to find so I almost gave up and started shopping for something new. Atlas, the internet provides. I found a rebuild kit on ebay and now she rides like new again.

Then, of course I went on to do some other upgrades. Tubeless tires and 1x9 drive train are freaking awesome!

26ers over 10 years old-left-01-med.jpg

26ers over 10 years old-right-02-med.jpg

Brackish
    Nice, way to keep it alive!

mtbr member
    my wifes unkown year specialized hardrock. i think its a mid 90s.

1x10 XT drivetrain, Carbon bar, FSA Canti brakes. tubeless. nothing special but its a lot of fun to ride and relatively light. lighter than my Scalpel by a few pounds.

before the work. I threw together the single speed stuff to see if it was rideable and in enough shape to continue with the work.

Fully stripped down and repainted. I relocated and brazed on new cable stops for the brakes and RD. Then had to make a rear brake cable hanger so I found some old tools and threw this together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I've posted the stumpy before but it's only getting better with time.

96 Stumpjumper FS M2 Comp with a 2008 Sid Race fork that I still LOVE, 1x10 XT drive, XT V-BRAKES, HED wheelset, Thomson Elite seatpost, Cane Creek S8 headset, Ritchey pro stem/bars, Shimano Saint pedals, and it just got a new Henge comp saddle thats not on the bike in this picture. I'm not sure on actual weight but this bike is featherweight.

And this was my very first mountain bike that I bought new in 06 at 19 years old, a 2006 or 2007 Hardrock Sport. Back then I thought it was a Porsche but now I know how terrible the components were, how overweight it is and how crappy the geo is for real xc riding. My little brother got it from me and I just bought it back a couple weeks ago for $40. I added a new Shimano Deore LX crank w/octalink bb, XT derailuer, HG54 chain, XT t780 V-BRAKES, Deore shifter, Deore brake levers, body geometry grips, a perfect condition but old body geometry saddle (not in the photo) some new plastic platform pedals that are surprisingly grippy. It's a perfect bike for crappy weather or a spare bike for my dad or a buddy to ride.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post

96 Stumpjumper FS M2 Comp with a 2008 Sid Race fork that I still LOVE, 1x10 XT drive, XT V-BRAKES, HED wheelset, Thomson Elite seatpost, Cane Creek S8 headset, Ritchey pro stem/bars, Shimano Saint pedals, and it just got a new Henge comp saddle thats not on the bike in this picture. I'm not sure on actual weight but this bike is featherweight.

And this was my very first mountain bike that I bought new in 06 at 19 years old, a 2006 or 2007 Hardrock Sport. Back then I thought it was a Porsche but now I know how terrible the components were, how overweight it is and how crappy the geo is for real xc riding. My little brother got it from me and I just bought it back a couple weeks ago for $40. I added a new Shimano Deore LX crank w/octalink bb, XT derailuer, HG54 chain, XT t780 V-BRAKES, Deore shifter, Deore brake levers, body geometry grips, a perfect condition but old body geometry saddle (not in the photo) some new plastic platform pedals that are surprisingly grippy. It's a perfect bike for crappy weather or a spare bike for my dad or a buddy to ride.

I have the same hardrock but red. I love the bike bought it new and been riding since.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jody50 View Post
    I have the same hardrock but red. I love the bike bought it new and been riding since.
    I rode mine for two seasons before I bought a 08 stumpjumper comp fsr then the Hardrock sat in the garage and my roommates took parts off of it over the years. It sat unridden for about the last 7 years until I just rebuilt it last week. I've been using it to pull the kids around the paved trails near the river and it's really a dang comfortable bike to ride but I wouldn't even attempt to climb with it lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Although I only bought the frame 4 years ago ..

26ers over 10 years old-13335659_1132126346846563_2366450939534642224_n_zps0lxddx6x.jpg

MY 2005 GT with 2007 Tora forks (everything else on the bike is new(ish)
    GT Avalanche 2.0 Custom 3 x 10
    Kinesis Decade Virtue Single Speed

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I just bought this Marin Bolinas Ridge off CL last week and updated a few components with spares I had lying around. It rides pretty well so far. '98 vintage as far as I can tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-marin-2.jpg  

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydavisjr View Post
    That would be really cool. With all the hoopla over the yeti cups and such, I believe if I ever found a yeti bike I could probably sell for a good profit no matter the year.

Decently priced Yeti frames are around, the 01 ASR frame I picked up a few months back was only $250. Through on a bunch of parts I already had and I was good to go, it's an awesome ride.

Brackish
    The rebuilt 2006 Kona Coiler Deluxe, after it's inaugural season with me. It never let me down or held me back, and always wanted more:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post
    The rebuilt 2006 Kona Coiler Deluxe, after it's inaugural season with me. It never let me down or held me back, and always wanted more:

Nice
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    26ers over 10 years old-img_1962.jpg

I think this qualifies for this thread- 1992 Scott Sawtooth. I picked it up for $60 on the local classifieds. I put some new WTBs on it and have wider riser handlebars on order. Originally the plan was to build it to a single-speed cruiser or a drop-bar MTB, but after seeing how good of condition the components are in and how well it functions and fits me as is, I'm going to ride it as a rigid MTB for a while!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post

Someone named Alex sent me a PM about this build that I'm not able to respond to. Shoot me an email at bvw0914@gmail.com if you see this!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vanvalks View Post

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	1104799

I think this qualifies for this thread- 1992 Scott Sawtooth. I picked it up for $60 on the local classifieds. I put some new WTBs on it and have wider riser handlebars on order. Originally the plan was to build it to a single-speed cruiser or a drop-bar MTB, but after seeing how good of condition the components are in and how well it functions and fits me as is, I'm going to ride it as a rigid MTB for a while!
    That's awesome! I love the retro color schemes. I picked up two old rigid Stumpjumpers a couple weeks ago, one is a '92 or '93 made in Japan of Tange Prestige steel and the other, the one I'm really excited about, is a '89 steel rigid Stumpjumper with the awesome pink/aqua colors.

I picked up an older set of Hed Jet wheels for the '92/'93 and will probably keep it a 3x9 and use it for running around the paved trails in my neighborhood. I'm currently and very slowly removing all the blue carbon/fiberglass from the Jets so they look decent on the green frame. The glass is easy, it's the permanent rubber glue that's a nightmare to remove from the rims.

I just completely stripped the '89 and picked up a old set of Mavic X221 wheels with Deore and WTB Grease Guard hubs that came off a '03 Specialized Epic shortly after it was bought. This bike has a 1x10 Shimano SLX drivetrain, Wolftooth elliptical drop stop ring and Shimano XT T780 brakes on the way. I'll probably add a 1" to 1 1/8" quill stem adapter so I can install a new Ritchey stem and bars as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I need to take an updated picture, but this is my 96 trek 7000. Next month I will have owned it for 20 years and it's still rocking. I recently swapped on a shorter bomber fork (100mm) of the same vintage, wider bars, shorter stem. I converted to SS back in 08 to try that out. Liked it enough that I bought a 29er SS. Just last month I swapped the trek to 1x7 using the original derailleur and grip shift (new cassette and chain).

Since I had back surgery in 2012 I sold my SS 29er for a full suspension which is my primary ride these days. In spite of that, I can't sell the trek. At the same time it's not really worth much if I did want to sell so why bother.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    26ers over 10 years old-trek-ss.jpgAfter buying and updating a few components on the Marin pictured a week ago, I decided to convert my old Trek into a SS since it has semi-horizontal dropouts. It worked perfectly, no need for a tensioner. I upgraded the brakes, levers and grips and it rides great. Nice and fairly light. Running a 32/20 set-up.

mtbr member
    Love my 26er 2010 trek 8500 not technically 10 years old but might as well be sorry for the side picture some reason I cant fix it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-wp_20160504_11_35_16_rich.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    26ers over 10 years old-dscn0176.jpg
    1990 Marin Muirwoods. I built it up in '92. Much use as a heavy duty commuter. Now only a fun bike, but I can't see changing. Fits me too well. I'm seriously considering a redo to 2X8 from 2X7. Needs refinish, considering powder coat.

BTW you're looking at 31# right there, tool bag , pump and all. Bathroom scale guesstimate, but I bet I'm within a few ounces

Fat-tired Roadie
    7-speed to 8-speed can be a difficult change, depending on your rear hub.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    7-speed to 8-speed can be a difficult change, depending on your rear hub.
    Mine needs new freehub, play the old respace game and redish. Haven't decided on type of shifter. 7 speed thumb supposedly will work. Sunrace has an 8 sp thumb. IF I powder coat. That's when I'll rearrange the closet and clean out the cobwebs.

mtbr member
    26ers over 10 years old-p1000362.jpg

1998 klein pinnacle, had this since i was a kid. updated with a 9speed drivetrain and repainted base clear in 2000 civic si electric blue

was a fun bike, just sold it last year after not riding it since i went 29er

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike24 View Post
    might as well be sorry for the side picture some reason I cant fix it.
    Steepest. Climb. Ever
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member

17 Years Old and Still "Bunny Hop'n"

1999 Schwinn 4 Banger, Bass Boat Gold, 19" Frame. Only the frame and swing arms (upper/lower) are original. All components are modern, dropouts are from a 2001 Schwinn Straight 6, rear shock is a "Frankenshock" built by combining a Fox Vanilla RC body with a Fox Vanilla R shaft and the trunnion mount from a 2001 Schwinn Straight 6.

Great ride; 5 inches of travel, truly an All Mountain Bike.

26ers over 10 years old-4b-bbg-right-side-2.jpg

26ers over 10 years old-4b-bbg-top-right-rear-quarter.jpg

Banshee :
    2015 Phantom-L
    27.5+ Conversion

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    picked this up last week.....used stuff I had from another bike that was too bog for me.....1991ish raleigh tangent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-bike-346.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-bike-357.jpg  

97 specialized rockhopper.- winter beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- summer commuter

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    26ers over 10 years old-vrx3.jpg

2000 Trek VRX 300. Half original, half replaced/upgraded. The Manitou X-Vert fork was an upgrade from 00/01. Fox Vanilla shock from I dunno what year. Original Rolf Dolomite wheels, which I love as much as the new WTB Bronsons fitted to them. Just switched to Answer 2" riser bars and added the Specialized bar ends. The rear derailleur has been switched to an XTR, but the rest is the original Deore LX.

Oh, and it inherited my ancient Echo T5 cycle computer from 1994.

I got it on craigslist about four months ago so I could get back into riding after a 10 year break. I had to fix the damper seal in the fork, put better tires on it and swap the bars. The rest was done by previous owner(s). I've been riding the crap out of it every chance I get and I'm very happy with it, even though it feels a little flexy in the rear.

(I dunno why my phone took such a crappy picture out at the trail, usually it does great.)
    Last edited by DrvLikHell; 11-29-2016 at 09:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mfiche View Post
    I am the second owner as this was the only way I could afford a decent full sus bike. I am terrified it's going to snap on me. Somebody please reassure me.

Attachment 1064713
    I have a 2000 Superlight still going strong. I think you will be ok as long as the frame has not been damaged. ; )

Incredulous bastard
    Well since I bought it at the end of 2005, my 2006 Giant Reign now makes the cut-off for this thread. This frame has been collecting dust on the wall since early 2011. But my Banshee Spitfire finally broke (for the third time) just a few weeks ago. And I'm certainly not going to order my crash-replacement now, so that I start counting down on my 2 year warranty in the winter. So for the next few months, my current build lives on this 10 year, 3 month old Reign.

26ers over 10 years old-20161119_114120.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here is mine. Built it in 2000, updated a few parts over the years, but for the most part it is as it was then. Started with a SID and V brakes initially, and learned real quick those did not work well for me.

Ended up with Fox Vanilla and Avid 185mm mech discs within a year.

Chris King built wheels with Mavic 517's
    Chris King headset
    Race Face Turbine cranks with Spot bash guard
    2 x 8 XT drivetrain
    etc etc

Took this only about a month ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Building my Super-V into a 26+ this winter... here it's sitting in urban mode. Waiting on my Dually's to come in to lace up.

Edit: Wheels came in... still waiting on 26x3.0... here's a sample of 2.5 on a 39 inner width... DEF going 3.0'

Last edited by Meeners; 12-15-2016 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    So, I have an '01 Giant Rainier SE that was my first decent MTB and I have always loved riding it. It has sat up for a number of years as my riding has tapered off to pretty much nothing, but I am getting back into riding again. I also have a 2007 Novara Aspen but I cannot stand the components. What I want to do is ride the Novara while I rebuild the Giant, and then keep the Novara as a back-up.

So, Where do I start? Should I throw money into a rebuild on the Marzocchi Z5 or just drop the $$ on a Rockshox Recon, or maybe something similar? How about bottom bracket bearings and head bearings, are they readily available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. They guy I spoke with at the Giant dealer said it was a waste of time, that I could get a better bike for less money from him....no surprise there, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Old Mare Still Kicking

26ers over 10 years old-img_2408.jpg

1994 Salsa Ala Carte, full old school XTR, including the best vbrakes ever made, sounds hard to believe, but this bike stops better then most folks disc brakes.

Some folks probably think this belongs in the vintage section, but this bike is still an active part of my stable. Might slowly be turning into a backup(until it turns into a SS), but still a bike that has been rebuilt, run in multiple configurations, well maintained and seems to always be going good when the others are needing a fix.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by EB313 View Post
    So, I have an '01 Giant Rainier SE that was my first decent MTB and I have always loved riding it. It has sat up for a number of years as my riding has tapered off to pretty much nothing, but I am getting back into riding again. I also have a 2007 Novara Aspen but I cannot stand the components. What I want to do is ride the Novara while I rebuild the Giant, and then keep the Novara as a back-up.

So, Where do I start? Should I throw money into a rebuild on the Marzocchi Z5 or just drop the $$ on a Rockshox Recon, or maybe something similar? How about bottom bracket bearings and head bearings, are they readily available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. They guy I spoke with at the Giant dealer said it was a waste of time, that I could get a better bike for less money from him....no surprise there, right?
    Depends what you need to buy to do your rebuild. If it's just grease and your time, sure, go for it. If you need new little balls for the bearings or even new cones, that's still not a big deal.

If you start getting into it and discover that your fork is toast or your drivetrain is going to need more than a chain and a cassette, slow down, really figure out what you need, and think about a new bike.

mtbr member
    My 1989 Fisher Advance. Single speed and plenty fun!

Last edited by theruns; 12-19-2016 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member

1999 Gary Fisher Aquila

I've been salivating over B+ bikes and am leaning towards getting a steel B+ HT next summer. But it dawned on me that I have another steel HT sitting in my basement doing nothing. Not B+ by any means, but decided that I'm going to rehab it for some trail riding next year. Started today by cleaning up the rear cassette and rear wheel. It wasn't pretty. 26ers over 10 years old-aquila.jpg
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EB313 View Post
    You should start by buying an Enduro seal and wiper kit and fresh ~7.5wt suspension oil (a little lighter if you are <150 lbs or a little heavier if you are >200 lbs). Follow the instructions that come with the wipers, and you might be surprised how much better it works. If it's a 2003+ you can also replace the bushings, the older ones have larger bushings that can usually be cleaned/resurfaced. I've done that service on a few Z2 and a Z1, and they've always been almost as good as new.

I also have a Revelation RCT3, and while I like the adjustability, it isn't as versatile as my Marzocchis in any particular setting, so I have to keep changing settings depending on terrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by banjor View Post
    You should start by buying an Enduro seal and wiper kit and fresh ~7.5wt suspension oil (a little lighter if you are <150 lbs or a little heavier if you are >200 lbs). Follow the instructions that come with the wipers, and you might be surprised how much better it works. If it's a 2003+ you can also replace the bushings, the older ones have larger bushings that can usually be cleaned/resurfaced. I've done that service on a few Z2 and a Z1, and they've always been almost as good as new.

I also have a Revelation RCT3, and while I like the adjustability, it isn't as versatile as my Marzocchis in any particular setting, so I have to keep changing settings depending on terrain.
    I meant to say Recon (I have both), but the same applies. My Bombers are set and forget, my Rock Shox I have to change PSI and rebound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeners View Post
    Building my Super-V into a 26+ this winter...
    Are you sure those are going to clear? I don't remember the tire clearance on the stock swingarm, but my Uber V build could barely clear 2.2s with a Jekyll swingarm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Are you sure those are going to clear? I don't remember the tire clearance on the stock swingarm, but my Uber V build could barely clear 2.2s with a Jekyll swingarm.
    Not without a little modification, but that is the intention. Modification isn't as bad as most think. Here's a pic with the 26x3.0 on the Jekyll and OEM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

'99 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

26ers over 10 years old-rm-hammer-race.jpgI bought this '99 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race a few weeks ago as a Christmas present for my son-in-law. I replaced the rear shifter, installed a Chromag N/W chainring to convert to 1x9, new WTB grips, new cables and tuned it all up. He rode it on our local trails with me Monday and its a really sweet ride. The Bomber fork has no leaks and still feels firm yet plush; I may try to find one for my Marin 26er.

mtbr member
    ^Sexy. I love those old Hammers and Blizzards. There's nothing like a gift given for spending some quality time together that you worked on with your hands. Nice work, hope you and your SIL have a blast on wheels.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DTrain0616 View Post

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	1110954

1994 Salsa Ala Carte, full old school XTR, including the best vbrakes ever made, sounds hard to believe, but this bike stops better then most folks disc brakes.
    IMA gonna say it. My Avid shorty canti's stop like this. They stop now. They stop no matter what Ma nature throws at 'em. They 'feel' right.
    But,
    it's not just the brake, it's how ya set teh dang thangs up, DAMMIT!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by OlMarin View Post

Name:	DSCN0176.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	1106334
    1990 Marin Muirwoods. I built it up in '92. Much use as a heavy duty commuter. Now only a fun bike, but I can't see changing. Fits me too well. I'm seriously considering a redo to 2X8 from 2X7. Needs refinish, considering powder coat.

BTW you're looking at 31# right there, tool bag , pump and all. Bathroom scale guesstimate, but I bet I'm within a few ounces
    This is getting fun. These wheels are 'in the rafters'. Instead of fixing what ain't broke and redishing, I got new wheels (front too. got a set for....it's a disease...)
    But I may be under the 30 pound mark.....
    Keep ya posted.
    Oh, and the frame is getting powder coated mystical blue...............

mtbr member
    Klein Palomino circa 2005.

Went 1 x 9 way back in 2008 and hardly ever ran out of gearing.
    2008/9 XT/XTR brakes still top notch
    Tons of room for a larger tire than the 2.1 Panaracer I think.
    Upgraded the 100mm Fox Float to 2012 model last year

I would like a wider gear range (as my ageing flabby ass starts to need it) so I think 1x11 may be on the way.
    May re-build the wheels too with a wider rim to take a 2.3 if it will fit in the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by no one in particular View Post
    Well since I bought it at the end of 2005, my 2006 Giant Reign now makes the cut-off for this thread. This frame has been collecting dust on the wall since early 2011. But my Banshee Spitfire finally broke (for the third time) just a few weeks ago. And I'm certainly not going to order my crash-replacement now, so that I start counting down on my 2 year warranty in the winter. So for the next few months, my current build lives on this 10 year, 3 month old Reign.

Name:	20161119_114120.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	1110184
    That model Reign is still one of my favorites

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

'07 Enduro

A few more creaks now but I'm not sure if it's the bike or my knees

Updated the wheelset this summer with Hope and Stans Flow rims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-img_1057.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-s-enduro.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-enduro.jpg  

'07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    I have a 1999 Kona Nunu and it is a great bike.
    I just began Mountain Biking, and it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My wife still has her Trek 850 mtn bike & I still have my Raleigh Technium mtn bike. Both in the early 90's vintage, mine maybe 90 but not sure.

My teenage daughters ride & abuse the trek, but my Raleigh is still pristine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Just bought a 99 StumpJumper FSR. First real mountain bike which I'd really like to convert to disc brakes.

26ers over 10 years old-img_0757.jpg

Fat-tired Roadie
    While all things are possible with access to welding gear and heat treatment, I think putting discs on the back of a rim brake bike isn't really practical. With a new fork, the front is easy. That was pretty common for a while in the mid-2000s.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    While all things are possible with access to welding gear and heat treatment, I think putting discs on the back of a rim brake bike isn't really practical. With a new fork, the front is easy. That was pretty common for a while in the mid-2000s.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    I was trying to keep the oem fork but finding rims withe the STOUT hub is not easy. For the back, figured out I need to find the shark fin adapter that bolts to the frame and
    then it shouldn't be too bad. In any case, this is a good learning experience for me with bicycles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pjed View Post
    I was trying to keep the oem fork but finding rims withe the STOUT hub is not easy. For the back, figured out I need to find the shark fin adapter that bolts to the frame and then it shouldn't be too bad. In any case, this is a good learning experience for me with bicycles.
    Shimano XT, Novatec, Hope, or DT Swiss would be better hubs anyway.
    If you can't find a sharkfin, this will work well.
    Tensile Disk Brake Frame converter - Tensile Optimum Design

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Shimano XT, Novatec, Hope, or DT Swiss would be better hubs anyway.
    If you can't find a sharkfin, this will work well.
    Tensile Disk Brake Frame converter - Tensile Optimum Design
    Thanks for the link. As far as the hub, since the forks are dropouts that don't use the regular 9mm QR, what type/size of those brands can I use?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    As far as the hub, since the forks are dropouts that don't use the regular 9mm QR, what type/size of those brands can I use?
    The fork in your photo is 9mm. The hub on it might have a thicker QR, "9mm through axle", but if you change the hub, just buy a normal QR, 5mm. Novatec, Hope, and DT Swiss all have convertible endcaps. Novatec is available with what's called "9mm through axle", but I would just get a normal one.

Hubs-D541SB

You should probably just buy a whole wheel. Any normal QR wheel will fit.

mtbr member
    Just bought a 99 StumpJumper FSR. First real mountain bike which I'd really like to convert to disc brakes.

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	1115727
    You need to find a specialized shark fin disc adaptor. They fit specialized bikes from 99 and 00. Bolt on disc brake conversion.

sent from mobile.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

26ers over 10 years old

Just picked up my first MTB. 04 Trek Fuel 70. Like new for $225 from a friend who hardly ever used it. Still on OG tires.

Last edited by Tblood; 01-23-2017 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    A few more creaks now but I'm not sure if it's the bike or my knees

Updated the wheelset this summer with Hope and Stans Flow rims.
    Very nice,always like those
    Last edited by White7; 03-29-2017 at 05:09 AM.

nvphatty
    some sharp ol steeds in here!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'll throw all mine in one post...

1986 Stumpjumper Team (picking this up next week)

1988 Stumpjumper with a new 1x10 SLX drivetrain

1989 Stumpjumper

1991 Stumpjumper S Works (steel)

1992.5 Stumpjumper

1993 Stumpjumper S Works (M2) - my current project

1996 Stumpjumper Comp 1x10 XT drivetrain

1991 Gary Fisher Montare full Suntour xc pro

2006 Hardrock Sport 1x10 Deore i built for my dad

mtbr member
    May 2015
    ^ wow! thats a nice collection of specials! love that steel sworks!

1997 Kona Fire Mountain - chromo frame with OG RS Quadra 5 fork, ive SS'd it to a 44/16, raceface deus cranks and ignitor 2.35s. Its my cornershop banger and when i ride with the fam.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseyjase View Post
    ^ wow! thats a nice collection of specials! love that steel sworks!

1997 Kona Fire Mountain - chromo frame with OG RS Quadra 5 fork, ive SS'd it to a 44/16, raceface deus cranks and ignitor 2.35s. Its my cornershop banger and when i ride with the fam.

thats SWEET !!!
    GT Avalanche 2.0 Custom 3 x 10
    Kinesis Decade Virtue Single Speed

mtbr member
    Love that bar, so clean.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    You need to find a specialized shark fin disc adaptor. They fit specialized bikes from 99 and 00. Bolt on disc brake conversion.

sent from mobile.
    Yeah, was able to find one...wasn't cheap.

26ers over 10 years old-img_0794.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Picked up an 06 FSR XC off of craigslist...guess bikes are like motorcycles for me. It was a good deal and I couldn't pass it up.

26ers over 10 years old-img_0828.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015

mtbr member

26ers over 10 years old

Quote Originally Posted by jaseyjase View Post
    Badass!

I 'be always wanted a lefty on a drop bar, what's the gearing?
    Im too much of a ***** to go single speed

My do it all bike
    Apologies though, it's neither 26" or 10 years old!

Last edited by Alexjb; 02-12-2017 at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexjb View Post
    Badass!

I 'be always wanted a lefty on a drop bar, what's the gearing?
    Im too much of a ***** to go single speed
    cheers! gearing is a 45/16. I ride mainly on the road, hence the gearing.

mtbr member
    Those Maxis seem a lot of tyre for the road, which are they?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexjb View Post
    Those Maxis seem a lot of tyre for the road, which are they?
    Holy Rollers 26 x 2.4 - They are overkill, but being my all weather commuter, when it gets wet i can plow through debris without a second thought!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I've posted a pic of this bike before but I've upgraded the drivetrain to a 1x7. I'm using the 32T chainring that came with the Shimano crankset I recently bought and no dropped chains so far. The SRAM cassette is a 12-32 and climbing the local trail hasn't been too tough. Even though this old Marin is a '98 vintage it rides and handles great. Gotta love those old cro-mo frames. I ride this bike about as often as my 29er.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-marin-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I kinda have a soft spot for old Marins myself.......
    say what you want about aluminum, carbon fiber, unobtainium and all that stuff.
    CroMo has a certain 'feel' you just can't duplicate

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I agree. I've had the bike for about 6 months, bought it locally off CL for $65, and I love riding it. I'm 6'-2"/225 and it fits me well and rides very well even for a rigid. I've thought about putting an old Bomber on it but I'm holding off for now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    26ers over 10 years old-p7280299.jpg

Here is my 1994 Rockhopper Comp FS. I bought it new back in 1994 and it has served me well. Since this picture I have replaced the shock from a Manitou 3 to a Rockshox 30 Silver TK as well as the brakes from cantilever to V-brake and the chain and bottom bracket.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast