Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    I read through your thread and I'm already collecting parts to do a similar build.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    1999 Marin East Peak:

Regular ride after a couple of years off. New wheels, brakes, 1x11, fat tires...

26ers over 10 years old-xt1x11.jpg

Peg Leg Pedaler
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Nice work, I've got two legs and don't think I'm fit enough to singlespeed!

Lol thanks buddy. Im not doing any crazy mountain biking or anything right now though Just trying to get used to the basics again so Ive just been riding on pavement. But MAN do I miss single track! I live in Williamsburg Virginia and we have some great MTB trails around here. MY right leg is a BEAST now from having basically standing and hopping around on it fro almost 2 years so it helps but Im only putting out about 20% max out of my left leg of what my right leg can do. Maybe one day Ill be able to afford a MotoKnee or a Bartlett Tendon Knee specifically made for this type of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Congratulation on getting back in the saddle. It takes incredible will power to do what you did.
    Thank you! It wasnt anything I really had to push myself to do again. Ive just missed so many things I used to love doing like riding my motorcycle, boogie boarding and hoking with my dog and since I really cant do any of those things any more, once I found out it was possible to ride a bicycle again I was all in. I had to try. When I saw a video of this kid showing how to ride a BMX bike with the same knee I have I drove straight to Target and hopped on the first bike I could grab with air in the tires. A pink 26" Baribe mountain bike. I got it on my 2nd attempt and for the next week I was going to different department stores riding their bikes just to make sure it wasnt a fluke. Im very happy with my bike now and I dont dee myself getting rid of this one. I kinda miss my Giant STP-0 DJer but it was too much bike and I didnt like the super short seatpost tube since I cant really hover over the seat right now. This KHS is perfect for me...maybe Ill change a couple things...lol.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    2003? Diamondback Vectra Sport.
    Still being used in anger.

Slightly modified...

Single speed conversion running 34/20 with an oval front ring.
    Flow EX front with a 2.4 Ardent and WTB Speeddisc rear with 2.25 Ardent, Rock Shox SiD Race forks.
    For XC racing, a pair of Roval Control SL wheels with Specialized Renegade's gets bolted up.

10kg ready to race.

Thread Killer
    My 2006 Gary Fisher Advance is still up and operational. Since I'm of the mentality of "upgrade as it breaks/wears out," the only real upgrades I've done are a new Vuelta Corsa wheelset, a Bontrager aluminum seatpost (whichever one is the step up from OEM), and a WTB Laser V saddle. All of those parts wore out or broke from use.

I did replace the heavy-ass stem and handlebars with a WTB handlebar and Ritchey stem, both of which were purchased from a takeoff bin at the LBS.

I really, really wanted to convert it to a 1x9, but several problems arose: The stock chainrings are riveted to the cranks; the brake levers and shifters are integrated into one unit; and the frame isn't actually set up for discs despite the fork having disc tabs. So, I'd need to drop right around $400 to modernize the bike into a 1x9, which is actually more than the bike was worth when I bought it...and I can't really justify that. So here I sit, with my stone-age 26er with rim brakes.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Brackish

I picked up a new 2006 Kona Coiler Deluxe in 2007 as a last year's sale model, rode it all over the PNW for 5 years and then parted ways with it during a cross country move. Last summer I saw a post on Craigslist selling a partial one for 100 bucks, the original owner had bought it new and kept it rolling over the years but upgraded his frame and was ready to move on. Snapped it up, rebuilt over the winter (everything new except frame, fork, headset, stem and post) for just under $1k and am loving it! First time at Highland over the weekend was killer, and now I have a 6x6 AM rig to compliment my hardtail. Which is also a 26, btw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Nice bike! I did the same with my bike I bought new in 2003 (the first bike in this thread). It is finally the bike I envisioned when I bought it. Scratch that, it is better than I ever envisioned it and it rides better than ever.

Brackish
    Same here, it was a revelation at Highland last week: I walked away asking myself why I never rode the Coiler on the Shore while we were out there, dialed in like it is now it would have been the perfecf rig for those trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    I really, really wanted to convert it to a 1x9, but several problems arose: The stock chainrings are riveted to the cranks; the brake levers and shifters are integrated into one unit; and the frame isn't actually set up for discs despite the fork having disc tabs. So, I'd need to drop right around $400 to modernize the bike into a 1x9
    For $100 on ebay, you could have a Deore Hollowtech crankset AND hydraulic front brake.

Crash Dummy In Training
    I think it's great people still restore and ride older bikes.
    It's like restoring an old car or motorcycle.
    Call me crazy but I have a lot of fun riding my older 26" bike takes a little more skill to pull off what I do on my newer bikes but that makes it that much more fun.
    It's all about enjoying the ride and having fun anyway.
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

Thread Killer
    For $100 on ebay, you could have a Deore Hollowtech crankset AND hydraulic front brake.
    Wait, really? Last time I priced that out, it was closer to that $400 threshold.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You must have priced it at your LBS.

You can find a good crankset Shimano M552 or M590 for around $50-60 and a Shimano front brake M486 or M445 for $25. Plus about $18 for a bottom bracket and $15 for a rotor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    Wait, really? Last time I priced that out, it was closer to that $400 threshold.
    Well, 100 seems low but doable in an auction setting with low bidding, 400 seems high. You could also just upgrade the front to disc and leave the rear as a rim brake to save a little. I think you should take some time to shop around, Chain Reaction has some good prices for mid season clearout. You could for instance get a 10 speed crankset, I think that would work fine since the spacing for the front hasn't changed, AFAIK, and obviously moot if you go 1x9. I have noticed though that 9 speed trigger/pod shifters have been hard to find and at high prices IMO. You can do the install yourself pretty easily I think.

I should also say 10spd shifter pods have been easier to find and at good pricepoints.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Thread Killer
    You must have priced it at your LBS.

You can find a good crankset Shimano M552 or M590 for around $50-60 and a Shimano front brake M486 or M445 for $25. Plus about $18 for a bottom bracket and $15 for a rotor.
    It's been a few years...must've been 2012 or 2013 last time I checked. But, the chainrings on my bike are riveted to the cranks, and the BB is some weird proprietary thing, so I counted on replacing that as well. Plus, the brake levers and shifters are integrated, so I counted on replacing both of those as separate units. Not to mention cables, disc rotors, pads, etc.

In my head, it added up rather quickly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You don't need to replace any cables or shifters. The stuff on the left will be replaced with just a hydraulic brake, and the stuff on the right stays as it is.

If you use the 32t ring that comes with the M552 or M590, you're done for under $120. With a Race Face narrow wide ring, the total would be around $180. Less if you use a Taiwanese no-name. Assuming you can put a rotor on the front wheel you have.

If you can't put a rotor on your front wheel now, then just get a Promax front brake lever and keep using the front brake you have.
    Last edited by MudSnow; 06-02-2016 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Got a small collection of Schwinns going.

26ers over 10 years old-uploadfromtaptalk1464842470629.jpg

From right to left: 1997 Moab 1 (cro-mo), I've had this bike since it was new, currently thinking about setting it up as a gravel road bike; 1998 Homegrown LXT, bought this a couple years ago as a frame on eBay, with the help of a friend we built it up as a really nice cross-country bike; 1995 Homegrown full suspension, for this one about a month ago, swapped the Judy it had into the Moab and bought an old SID; 1999 Homegrown 4-Banger All Mountain, just got this last week, didn't really need another bike, har-har, but couldn't pass up owning one of these.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mokancraig View Post
    Got a small collection of Schwinns going.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1464842470629.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	1073868

From right to left: 1997 Moab 1 (cro-mo), I've had this bike since it was new, currently thinking about setting it up as a gravel road bike; 1998 Homegrown LXT, bought this a couple years ago as a frame on eBay, with the help of a friend we built it up as a really nice cross-country bike; 1995 Homegrown full suspension, for this one about a month ago, swapped the Judy it had into the Moab and bought an old SID; 1999 Homegrown 4-Banger All Mountain, just got this last week, didn't really need another bike, har-har, but couldn't pass up owning one of these.

Nice collection you have there! Congrats!

mtbr member
    I recently picked up mountain biking again after a 5 year hiatus. My most recent bike is a 1999 GT Avalanche.

mtbr member
    Wife's old Specialized Hardrock FS
    26ers over 10 years old-img_20160604_123630584_zpsdzjo8jde.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

The old boy.

Still like new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    1995 Giant Sedona SE

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

silly person
    Dec 2005

14 years old. :D

These have been in storage for a few years as I wasn't riding. Started again and they're both back in action. Surprisingly little work needed to be done to get them back in the game. Tyres and lube, basically.

2002 Raceline Expert - my favourite
    Lots of bits replaced - seatpost, seat, brakes, stem.
    Also, massive titanium barends, so there! :P

26ers over 10 years old-raceline-1.jpg26ers over 10 years old-raceline-2.jpg

Technically my other bike also passed 10 years old now. It's not as nice though.

26ers over 10 years old-mongoose-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No pictures, but 1995 Kona Kiluaea is my daily ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Absolutely! I like my 1996 Stumpy more than my 08 Stumpjumper FSR or 2016 Camber 29. First rebuild was 2008 with full XT and a new (08) Sid Race fork and today after work it'll be finished off with its new rebuild with a 1x10 XT BB, crank, cassette, chain, clutched rear mech with a 32t Raceface narrow wide ring, Zee 10spd shifter, new XT v brakes and levers, Easton bar and 70mm stem, specialized henge comp saddle, plastic specialized platform pedals, HED C2 wheelset and fresh seals in the old Sid but in a week or two I'll be buying a Recon Silver TK 100mm with lockout and v brake posts

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya3 View Post
    Absolutely! I like my 1996 Stumpy more than my 08 Stumpjumper FSR or 2016 Camber 29. First rebuild was 2008 with full XT and a new (08) Sid Race fork and today after work it'll be finished off with its new rebuild with a 1x10 XT BB, crank, cassette, chain, clutched rear mech with a 32t Raceface narrow wide ring, Zee 10spd shifter, new XT v brakes and levers, Easton bar and 70mm stem, specialized henge comp saddle, plastic specialized platform pedals, HED C2 wheelset and fresh seals in the old Sid but in a week or two I'll be buying a Recon Silver TK 100mm with lockout and v brake posts.
    Two things stand out here. Why plastic pedals, and why a Recon TK which is worse than the SID?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Two things stand out here. Why plastic pedals, and why a Recon TK which is worse than the SID?
    Plastic pedals because it's strictly a spare (3rd) bike that will see a bit of light xc and alot of pulling the kids around with the bike trailer. The pedals are takeoffs from my new Camber. No need to spend $50+ on a set of alloy platforms on a spare bike and I don't like clipless.

As for the Sid vs Recon, the Sid is 9 yrs old and is way too plush for my liking, has no lockout and bobs terribly bad and also could use a rebuild/service. At $200 for the Recon I'm getting a fork with lockout, 20mm more travel and with almost all rock shox and Fox forks going to disc only, and many tapered, my choices are slim on a quality brand new fork with v brake posts.

mtbr member
    Plastic pedals because it's strictly a spare (3rd) bike that will see a bit of light xc and alot of pulling the kids around with the bike trailer. The pedals are takeoffs from my new Camber. No need to spend $50+ on a set of alloy platforms on a spare bike and I don't like clipless.

As for the Sid vs Recon, the Sid is 9 yrs old and is way too plush for my liking, has no lockout and bobs terribly bad and also could use a rebuild/service. At $200 for the Recon I'm getting a fork with lockout, 20mm more travel and with almost all rock shox and Fox forks going to disc only, and many tapered, my choices are slim on a quality brand new fork with v brake posts.
    Where I live it is often wet and any kind of plastic pedals tend to get very slippy in the wet.

Getting decent forks with V-bosses these days is a problem. It's just that the TK forks are not brilliant, well the damper is poor. If both forks are 32mm aluminium stanchions maybe you could swap the damper over?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Where I live it is often wet and any kind of plastic pedals tend to get very slippy in the wet.

Getting decent forks with V-bosses these days is a problem. It's just that the TK forks are not brilliant, well the damper is poor. If both forks are 32mm aluminium stanchions maybe you could swap the damper over?
    I'm in Minnesota so it's usually pretty dry except for spring time. I have the Recon 29 on my Camber and I don't mind it, although I do plan on upgrading to a Fox 34 eventually.

The Stumpy honestly won't see enough trail riding to justify a higher end fork. If the Sid had a lockout I'd be perfectly happy to keep running it but I think even the Recon Silver will be an upgrade with the lockout, 20mm more travel and 32mm compared to noodly 28mm stanchions and at $200 there's really no reason not to try it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I finished the drive and brakes up at least. Still waiting on the shorter stem, wider bars and need to swing into the LBS to get a Henge saddle then all that remains is the fork dilemma.

mtbr member
    The entry Rockshox are actually quite stiff, one of the advantages of being heavy I guess, but you are getting what you pay for. The stanchions are chromed steel, which is fine to be honest but the chrome does chip quite easily if rocks ping of it. Adjustments are very limited and crude and the TK damper just sucks. What you can do is fit a damper from any other RS fork with steel 32mm legs. Not cheap but.

I've never used one but some of the guys on here swear by Manitou forks. Maybe some of those are available with v-bosses?

silly person
    Dec 2005
    Shame the Marzocchi MX Comp, or similar isn't still around.

Kav
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'll jump in with my oldie, a Diamond Back Ascent EX from 1989.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    2007 Yeti 575 (bought in 06). 1x9, SRAM x9 RD and shifter, Raceface crank, stem, carbon handlebars and single chainring, Thompson Elite seat post, Yeti WTB Rocket saddle, Hope seat clamp, Juicy 5 brakes, ODI Yeti Lockons, Magura Laurin FCR 130, Fox RP23, Paul Components chain keeper, Easton XC One wheelset, Maxxis Minion tires, Shimano 540 pedals.

I laugh when I am told my bike is "obsolete"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-image.jpeg  

mtbr member
    May 2015

2006 diamondback response, just got it today as a budget bomber. Eventually it will receive a single speed kit, alloy pedals and maybe a gloss black powdercoat. After all that I should have less than 2 bills In it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yesterday a guy posted an ad on CL for this '99 FSR XC Pro and some low end Schwinn hardtail and he was asking $125 for the pair. I asked him what he would let the Stumpjumper go for and he said $75! Thankfully I saw the ad minutes after he posted it. An hour later it was in my truck, he said he had already got another four messages asking about it.

Got it home, did a quick wash on it, adjusted the brakes, the derrailluers were already tuned well, dug out my shock pump and Sid adapter I haven't touched in 15 years, set the suspension, ungummed the shifters, lubed the chain, threw away the comfort gel saddle that was on it and put on my Selle San Marco Concor and took it on a trail nearby for an hour ride. The thing works perfect, even the shock and fork. Full XTR/XT, Sid XC, weighs 25lbs w/o pedals.

The paint and decals are in good condition, the fork decals are scratched up but I doubt I can find replacements. But I've ordered new tires and all the consumables. Going to buy some new bars and seatpost since those are scratched up. When that stuff comes in I'm going to do a total rebuild and get it looking as new as I can.

This '94 Axis TR has been my only MTB for the last decade. She's still going strong. But I had forgotten how nice rear suspension is haha

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutch92 View Post
    2006 diamondback response, just got it today as a budget bomber. Eventually it will receive a single speed kit, alloy pedals and maybe a gloss black powdercoat. After all that I should have less than 2 bills In it.
    The old Diamondback's do seem to single speed well.

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MASC1104 View Post
    2007 Yeti 575 (bought in 06). 1x9, SRAM x9 RD and shifter, Raceface crank, stem, carbon handlebars and single chainring, Thompson Elite seat post, Yeti WTB Rocket saddle, Hope seat clamp, Juicy 5 brakes, ODI Yeti Lockons, Magura Laurin FCR 130, Fox RP23, Paul Components chain keeper, Easton XC One wheelset, Maxxis Minion tires, Shimano 540 pedals.

I laugh when I am told my bike is "obsolete"
    That thing it awesome!! Well done ;-)

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by AbnInf View Post
    Yesterday a guy posted an ad on CL for this '99 FSR XC Pro and some low end Schwinn hardtail and he was asking $125 for the pair. I asked him what he would let the Stumpjumper go for and he said $75! Thankfully I saw the ad minutes after he posted it. An hour later it was in my truck, he said he had already got another four messages asking about it.

Got it home, did a quick wash on it, adjusted the brakes, the derrailluers were already tuned well, dug out my shock pump and Sid adapter I haven't touched in 15 years, set the suspension, ungummed the shifters, lubed the chain, threw away the comfort gel saddle that was on it and put on my Selle San Marco Concor and took it on a trail nearby for an hour ride. The thing works perfect, even the shock and fork. Full XTR/XT, Sid XC, weighs 25lbs w/o pedals.

The paint and decals are in good condition, the fork decals are scratched up but I doubt I can find replacements. But I've ordered new tires and all the consumables. Going to buy some new bars and seatpost since those are scratched up. When that stuff comes in I'm going to do a total rebuild and get it looking as new as I can.

This '94 Axis TR has been my only MTB for the last decade. She's still going strong. But I had forgotten how nice rear suspension is haha

Nice find!! I jumped on a Gary Fisher Joshua Y frame a few weeks back, but it was frame only. Luckily I had enough spare parts laying around to finish off the bike, but now i find myself upgrading each component little by little.. So much for just spending $150 lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

My 09 FSR XC Comp I got this weekend

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    2006 Santa Cruz Heckler. Built it up for about $2000 5 years ago, still going strong today. These things are bombproof.

26ers over 10 years old-11083739_3307081795570_4863054978395678120_o.jpg

Photo is at the top of Black Mountain in Pisgah NF. Also one of the best trails I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    My 2005 Devinci Hucker. Nothing but the front derailleur and the seat collar is stock.

26ers over 10 years old-tfhcukml.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi all! Although I'm shopping for a new mtb right now, my 2000 Trek 4500 is not going anywhere!

I think the only original components are the v-brakes (planning on upgrading soon) and the wheels.

Right now I need to rebuild the Mars Elite fork or get a new one, which has proven more difficult than I thought now that most bikes are 27.5 or 29ers (availability of 26" forks is very scarse). I appreciate new advances on bikes, but I really hate when a bike shop tells me that my Trek is too old and that I *need* to replace it. Glad to see a group of riders that appreciate their "more mature" bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusV6 View Post
    I appreciate new advances on bikes, but I really hate when a bike shop tells me that my Trek is too old and that I *need* to replace it. Glad to see a group of riders that appreciate their "more mature" bikes
    I notice a lot of people recommend to not "waste" money on an old 26. They don't know what they're talking about so don't listen to them. When you ride from point A to B, 90% of what determines how fast you will travel is the engine, your lungs and legs. In the road world I would say it's 95% since suspension generally isn't an issue. All that matters is if you like your bike or not.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Hi all! Although I'm shopping for a new mtb right now, my 2000 Trek 4500 is not going anywhere!

I think the only original components are the v-brakes (planning on upgrading soon) and the wheels.

Right now I need to rebuild the Mars Elite fork or get a new one, which has proven more difficult than I thought now that most bikes are 27.5 or 29ers (availability of 26" forks is very scarse). I appreciate new advances on bikes, but I really hate when a bike shop tells me that my Trek is too old and that I *need* to replace it. Glad to see a group of riders that appreciate their "more mature" bikes
    I think the biggest killer is tapered steerer tubes. Although you should still be able to order something through a SRAM/RockShox dealer. And there are still tons of rigid options out there.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    This is my old Trek from sometime back in the 90's. I bought it used about 10 years ago as my first mountain bike. I've just upgraded the brakes and levers. I still ride it a couple times a week on the same trails I ride my 29er. I just ride slower and on a little different line lol. Its still a lot of fun and performs great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-new-old-trek-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Nice beach pic! If I were you, I don't think I'd bother with a new fork, unless you really want remote lockout (in which case your options are limited). I personally love the Marzocchi Bomber shocks for older MTBs. I have a couple of Z2s with 80mm travel and one Z1 with 100mm. Heavy, coil spring, no lockout, and totally amazingly worth all the compromises. These were some of the best handling shocks ever. Plush at the top yet bottomless.

Any coil-spring Bomber from '97 on will be near indestructible and easy to service/rebuild, but only the 2003+ have new bushings readily available (although the older ones are larger and rarely wear out). The lower model numbers typically had more features, with Z2/Z1 being top of the line. Some had travel adjust and/or lockout. You can get a used one in very good condition for around $200 on eBay, with brand new old stock models occasionally showing up around $650.

mtbr member
    just realized I get to post my 05 stumpy in this thread!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    just realized I get to post my 05 stumpy in this thread!

Wow that's different! I haven't seen many shiny stumpjumpers before.

Cycologist

2005 Jamis Dragon

I'd wanted a Dragon for many, many years and picked up one off of eBay last summer, even though I have a "modern" 29er full suspension. I won this one for $212 shipped, less than some of the frame only Dragons I had bid on in the past.

The guy said he had used it as a commuter and had owned it for nine years. It is not all original, most of the parts had been swapped out for XT except for the rear derailleur, which is still XTR. Oddly, it only had a rear brake, an old BB7, whatever the prior name was; and a cheap brake lever. It had worn out slicks and a Forte seat on a too small seat post. I'm guessing the original purchaser rode it for a year, bought an XT level Specialized (the handlebars are Specialized) and swapped out the XT components for the XTR.

I bought new tires, a BB7, avid brake levers and used a spare post/saddle I had. I bought some auto touch-up paint; all-in-all, the paint was in pretty good condition. I didn't even need to do a tune up as it shifts beautifully except, I somehow missed that it is the original rapid rise rear derailleur, hence why it wasn't swapped. I had planned to swap out the fork for a 100mm Fox I have but I found that I really like the 80mm Skareb (I'm only 135 lbs). Will probably change the rear d at some point; it works really well but at some point, I'll blow a shift both on it and when I get on my newer bike.

Love the bike! I find it funny/annoying that people talk that you have to have a "modern" bike for it to be fun or that they are "more fun". I really enjoy riding my modern bike and my "unmodern" Dragon. They are different in many ways but one is not more fun than the other (don't tell my wife that I said that since I spent so much less on the Dragon).

26ers over 10 years old-dragon_small.jpg
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I find it funny/annoying that people talk that you have to have a "modern" bike for it to be fun or that they are "more fun". I really enjoy riding my modern bike and my "unmodern" Dragon. They are different in many ways but one is not more fun than the other (don't tell my wife that I said that since I spent so much less on the Dragon.
    Agreed. It is humorous. When reading posts as soon as I come across one rambling about outdated/obsolete geometries" components, etc, i just move on to the next post. Yes, technology advances. Yes, everything is slacker, longer travel, etc. but i dont need that slack of a headtube and seat tube with 160mm+ of front travel, etc to enjoy my bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithD42 View Post
    Anyone besides myself love their 26er so much that they keep rebuilding it instead of moving on to a new one. I rebuilt my 2003 Giant Warp DS3 last spring / summer and love it more than the day I bought it. Attachment 1061550Attachment 1061551Attachment 1061552
    When ypu rebuilt this did you buy the fork new. I have been looking online for a manitou mattoc with a straight steer tube and just didn't think they existed anymore. Atleast not new..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pedals On; 07-10-2016 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by banjor View Post
    Nice beach pic! If I were you, I don't think I'd bother with a new fork, unless you really want remote lockout (in which case your options are limited). I personally love the Marzocchi Bomber shocks for older MTBs. I have a couple of Z2s with 80mm travel and one Z1 with 100mm. Heavy, coil spring, no lockout, and totally amazingly worth all the compromises. These were some of the best handling shocks ever. Plush at the top yet bottomless.

Any coil-spring Bomber from '97 on will be near indestructible and easy to service/rebuild, but only the 2003+ have new bushings readily available (although the older ones are larger and rarely wear out). The lower model numbers typically had more features, with Z2/Z1 being top of the line. Some had travel adjust and/or lockout. You can get a used one in very good condition for around $200 on eBay, with brand new old stock models occasionally showing up around $650.
    Thanks for the comment, I still like the bike very much and enjoy riding it! At $200, that fork is not bad, but based on the type of riding I plan to do with this bike after I get a new one, I will try to rebuild the Mars Elite or just go with a rigid fork.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    In response to the thread title- Aren't most of us here over 10 years old?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    My 2001 Trek 8500
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-img_0323.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by banjor View Post

Agreed with all points. I enjoyed my blue Z3 Light for many flawless years. Rebuilt it twice. I swapped it out for a high-maintenance Carbon SID World Cup to save weight for XC racing on a Litespeed. Yes, I race a 16 year old hard-tail bike - and beat half the pack doing it.

The Z3's been sitting under the pool table for the better part of the last decade though - so if anyone is interested, just send me a message.

Steering tube is around 7 1/4 inches long. Fork is ready to roll. No issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 891slow View Post
    My 2001 Trek 8500
    Very nice!!

Most of the upgrades on my Trek 4500 came from a friend's 2000 (I think that was the year) Trek 8000 (Shimano LX & XT components, Icon Onyx, etc). Pretty sweet bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Very nice!!

Most of the upgrades on my Trek 4500 came from a friend's 2000 (I think that was the year) Trek 8000 (Shimano LX & XT components, Icon Onyx, etc). Pretty sweet bikes.
    Thanks, I've got a set of pro tapers on the way for it and I'm in the middle of converting it to disc brake. it has all the original deore components (thats probably not a good thing cuz they're so old) but it rides great so i can't really complain.

mtbr member

This is my 5.5 evp. The frame stamp says it's an 08 bit I'm not sure because it has the rear triangle of an 04. Either way it's 8 to 12 years old. I picked it up used about 4 months ago and am slowly making upgrades to keep it in top shape. I just put a new x9 derailleur on, new xt 9spd cassette, new chain, refinished the carbon bars(the clearcoat was yellow and chipping), Race Face chester pedals and I put some killer tires on(apparently too much tire Im finding out). I guess I will have to correct that soon. I plan to convert it to 1x9 in the next week or two when I place my next order to replace the tires again. Just a few things after that and It will basically be a new bike. I will most likely dofull teardown and rebuild while replacing all the bearings and such in the suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg
    2007 Voodoo Wanga (ok, almost 10 years old), 18 inch Reynolds 631 double butted frame, Shimano XTR Rapid Fire 8 speed shifters/brakes, XTR RD, LX FD, XT cassette, Avid 7 v-brakes, Mavic 717 wheelset with XT hubs, Raceface Deus Stem and crankset, Titec Hell Bent handlebars, ODI lockon grips, no name carbon fiber seatpost, Shimano M520 pedals, Marzocchi X600 Bomber 100mm fork, SDG Ti Fly saddle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    [QUOTE=Pedals On;12724383]When ypu rebuilt this did you buy the fork new. I have been looking online for a manitou mattoc with a straight steer tube and just didn't think they existed anymore. Atleast not new..

Yes, I bought the Manitou Match Comp 130 mm. it was the last thing I upgrade, from my 2004 Marzocci Bomer. There are more straight steerer forks out there than you think. I search a lot of on line stores and found the Manitou for $200 brand new. I believe I got that from Amazon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Wow that's different! I haven't seen many shiny stumpjumpers before.

Nice bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus1 View Post

Nice bike

Very nice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have a late 90s Stumpjumper M2, by far my favorite bike. I can't believe how light, responsive and nimble the bike is. I've ridden and bought some newer bikes in the 1,000 + or - $400. The 90s stumpjumper seems superior to today's $1k bikes except for the brakes.

mtbr member
    04 Kona Dawg U turn forked and stuffed full of Truvativ,Hayes,Shimano and WTB goodness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i too am into the old stuff: Raleigh MT300 first mt bike I ever owned[still have it]
    GT is newest a 2004 Ruckus 2.0, bought as a frame off ebay, used M770 group for it

there's more: a 1992 Kona Lava Dome waiting on paint or powder
    1992 Giant Cadex CFM-1 waiting on a set of M900 shifters
    1987 Specialized Hardrock w/chainstay u-brake [got as a frame] built up for my dad with left over parts after upgrading the Raleigh
    and now a 1996 Specialized M2 I am starting to build up
    oh, and an old 1993 Cannondale R800 road bike too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-img_1258.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-img_1321.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My newest brother-in-law gave me this mid '90s Klein Pulse Comp in really good condition. The fork was too new, so I sold it and found an old Marzocchi Z2 that needed some love. Changed the oil, replaced the seals, and cleaned it all up and it works better than I remember any fork from the '90s working. I'm currently debating just how vintage I want to keep it, because a few key upgrades would make this bike a rocket on the right trails.

26ers over 10 years old-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=KeithD42;12736225]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals On View Post
    When ypu rebuilt this did you buy the fork new. I have been looking online for a manitou mattoc with a straight steer tube and just didn't think they existed anymore. Atleast not new..

Yes, I bought the Manitou Match Comp 130 mm. it was the last thing I upgrade, from my 2004 Marzocci Bomer. There are more straight steerer forks out there than you think. I search a lot of on line stores and found the Manitou for $200 brand new. I believe I got that from Amazon.
    Cool, I think I may pick up a Minute expert in the next few months. Now I just have to find one.

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    My newest brother-in-law gave me this mid '90s Klein Pulse Comp in really good condition. The fork was too new, so I sold it and found an old Marzocchi Z2 that needed some love. Changed the oil, replaced the seals, and cleaned it all up and it works better than I remember any fork from the '90s working. I'm currently debating just how vintage I want to keep it, because a few key upgrades would make this bike a rocket on the right trails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	160 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	1083419
    I had the same debate with my 96 Gary Fisher Joshua, I wanted to keep the vintage feel but some of the newer parts out there are just too sweet to ignore. I may have a few legit light weight parts you may be interested in..
    1)Syncros pro-series straight handlebar
    2)Kore Elite seat post
    3)Kore Elite stem
    Let me know if anything peaks your interest ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I had to join just so I could join in this thread. I have a 2006 Cannondale F300 that I still ride, and I do keep upgrading it. It started this past winter, when I found a broken tooth on my cassette. It lead me into replacing the housing/cables, replacing the shifters with new SRAM X4 shifters (one of the old ones broke when I was changing the cables/housings), a new SRAM 8 speed cassette, and a new SRAM 8 speed chain. This past month I got a new fork, a Rockshox 30 Silver TK, because my Manitou that came with the bike was leaking and I was having trouble finding the parts to fix it. I got a new Forte Terramax wheel set and converted the bike to hydraulic disc brakes with Shimano SLX M675 brakes and XT Ice-Tech rotors. In the upcoming winter I plan on doing the complete drivetrain, either 10 speed Deore or 10 or 11 speed SLX, and might switch to a double crankset (any advice is more than welcome!). I know most people will think I am putting (and have put) a lot of money into a bike that may be "obsolete", but something about seeing that American flag along with the words "Handmade in USA" keeps me in love with the bike, along with the way it rides, plus it is still in great shape. I ride a 2016 29er at work, and I still like my C'dale better. Here she is all finished and shined up (ignore the extremely long front hydro hose, haven't gotten to it yet!)
    26ers over 10 years old-img_0030.jpg
    26ers over 10 years old-img_0031.jpg26ers over 10 years old-img_0032.jpg26ers over 10 years old-img_0029.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyone besides myself love their 26er so much that they keep rebuilding it instead of moving on to a new one. I rebuilt my 2003 Giant Warp DS3 last spring / summer and love it more than the day I bought it.
    A Warp DS 3 was my first FS bike, and my first real mountain bike. Had great times on it. Maybe I was a bit hard on it, as one frame broke in half, and another one cracked by the shock mount. Giant made good on their warranty, and when they ran out of Warp frames, I ended up with an AC frame instead. That bike was indestructible, and I rode it for probably close to a decade before having to part with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I did not replace the fork right away, I actually did that over the last winter. I found the Manitou Comp Match 130mm fork on Amazon for right about $200 new. It is a straight steerer and I have been very happy with it. It was hard to find a good fork with a straight steerer, but they are out there. They also sell this for in a 100mm.

mtbr member
    I did not replace the fork right away, I actually did that over the last winter. I found the Manitou Comp Match 130mm fork on Amazon for right about $200 new. It is a straight steerer and I have been very happy with it. It was hard to find a good fork with a straight steerer, but they are out there. They also sell this for in a 100mm.
    Im looking for a 140mm to 150mm straight steer right now. I currently have a 145 Nixon platinum that I'm using but I would love to have something a little newer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am still riding my '04 Santa Cruz Blur classic (not sure how to add a picture)

I just rebuilt a lot of it, switching to a 1/10 set up, new wider bars and shorter stem.

Love it and have no problem keeping up with some great riders on their 29ers and 27.5s. I will upgrade to a 27.5 in the next year or two, but still love my old 26er!

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck34 View Post
    I am still riding my '04 Santa Cruz Blur classic (not sure how to add a picture)

I just rebuilt a lot of it, switching to a 1/10 set up, new wider bars and shorter stem.

Love it and have no problem keeping up with some great riders on their 29ers and 27.5s. I will upgrade to a 27.5 in the next year or two, but still love my old 26er!
    I think we may have mirrored our 26 builds lol.. Just changed my 96 Gary Fisher Joshua from a 3x9 to 1x10, switched to a shorter stem, and switched to wider riser bars. What stem/bars did you go with? I was on a longer 100mm stem so I switched to an 80mm Syncros 1.5FL, and I was on a 20 yr old Syncros pro series straight bar and switched that with an Easton monkey lite xc riser bar. A bit of an adjustment, but so far so good and i even lost a few grams in the process.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i went from a 100mm thompson stem to an 80mm raceface evolve. I got rid of my old Giant bar to a 720mm Mountain Equipment Coop carbon bar (amazing value!).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here's my beloved 2004 Norco Torrent 'Frankenbike'. It's heavy and makes no sense but I love it.

26ers over 10 years old-norco.jpg

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Got the Fish updated and 10x1 conversion completed, been out on it twice so far and it's super smooth and responsive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-fish1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    It's heavy and makes no sense but I love it.
    I overheard my wife say that about me once.

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    I overheard my wife say that about me once.
    Only once? I get that all the time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    2004 Gary Fisher Wahoo

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Just picked up a 2001 Yeti AS-R frame.. can't wait to get that thing hooked up! YETI!!!!!

mtbr member

26ers over 10 years old

I think all of my bikes qualify. The funny thing is I just started biking this spring, but could probably work for any bike shop as a mechanic. I love building and learning to build new things.

Norco a line, 170mm bomber888 w200mm stroke , 8" rear travel (option of 9)
    Saint hollow tech cranks/ new Saint shifter/derailleur
    Ht pedals
    New zee rear brake, new shimano crap front brake (who cares it's still better than all things hayes)
    E13 chainguard
    Raceface bars
    Continental rain/trail King 2.5"

Gt idrive1.0
    Tmars dropper post
    New 10spd Deore components, clipless pedals
    Sr 11-42 cassette w x10sl chain
    'New' 100mm sid fork (really wish I had gone 120 tho)
    Slx shifters
    Truvativ cranks
    Santa Cruz carbon 760mm bars, 60mm Fourier stem
    Some Chinese 100g seat
    Sun rims 26mm
    2.2/2.35 tires bonty/dhf

Specialized big hit expert
    200mm shiver, 8/8.5 travel
    New Cannondale 750mm bars
    New Saint pedals, slx shifter/derail,
    juicy7 brakes
    X10s chain, Truvativ hussefelt cranks
    New seat, carbon post
    Doubletrack rims
    24x3.0" duro in back
    26x2.5" kenda nexcavator in front

Mongoose black diamond
    180mm 66rcv marzocchi w fox rear
    777 gravity bar
    MRP cranks, new seat, x10sl chain,l
    New slx shifters/brakes
    Kenda nevegal/nexcavator 2.5"
    Bonty Scandium rims 26mm

My old trek hardtail good for dirt jumps

Lol even deeper in the garage

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

2006 Giant Upland

Currently, this is my only one but it works great! I am slowly starting to replace components on it. Just put on some Shimano Saint Flats!
    26ers over 10 years old-img_2013.jpg

Crash Dummy In Training
    One thing I miss on my 1997 Rock Hopper is Disc brake mounts on the rear
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    2003 Moots with some upgrades26ers over 10 years old-10.3k.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My next door neighbor is still riding his 2000(?) Gary Fisher hardtail. Original RS Judy fork still on there, still waiting on its first service...!
    I like bikes

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    My next door neighbor is still riding his 2000(?) Gary Fisher hardtail. Original RS Judy fork still on there, still waiting on its first service...!
    Those Gary Fisher's can go a while, I'm still riding my 98' Paragon hard tail and 96' Joshua Y FS and both are going strong.. The Joshua has a White Bros pro air fork that was new back in 99 (I think lol) and I just need to pump in a little air every few months and it's good to go.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Still have this aging 2002 Heckler as my main ride and it is still fun.

I've grandpa's axe'd it and upgraded bits n' pieces where needed or possible. I kind of like knowing that this bike has been just about everywhere I've rode at one time or another.

Tempted to upgrade, but well, it would probably be for a 5010 or Bronson anyhow.

As long as they keep making decent 26" tyres and I'll be set for a while yet
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    26ers over 10 years old-bike-364.jpg

how about 30 years old......1986 schwinn sierra I picked up for free didnt have to do much to it to make it ride ready
    97 specialized rockhopper.- urban beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- urban assault vehicle

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    2006 Specialized HardRock Sport. Just bought it a set of I9 Trail 24s on Saturday. Every part has been replaced at least once, so the frame is the only original part. Like the bike so much, I bought another original off eBay just like it for a backup frame.

Attachment 1061755

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    I have same one plus 2 other old bikes. Love them may get a talon but dont need one.

mtbr member
    Some really nice bikes in this thread. It's so cool seeing riders still taking care of their older bikes! I really dig the older Specialized (from the 1990's) where the frames were way overbuilt.

My 2004 Stumpjumper Expert. Lot's of upgrades over the years:

Chris King hubs with Mavic 719 rims
    XTR shifters
    XTR Brakes
    Easton carbon seatpost and bar (just swapped the bar out though for a wider alloy)
    Just recently, like within the last month took off the front shifter/derailleur and threw on a 30T narrow wide I had sitting around. I never used the large and small chainrings anyway.
    Replaced the cranks and bottom bracket

I lucked out on getting this bike from SuperGo (now Performance). It was the end of the year, they were wiped out of all their stock. I test rode another bike but didn't buy it. Accidentally left my drivers license. When I went back to get it, the sales person told me they found this bike still in the box, they never built it as it was XL frame and never had a request for one. From what I recall, it was also the first year of disk brakes on the SJ (this model anyway).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-20160915_185647.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    My mid-90's Trek. I've had it for 10 years and it was worn out when I got it. Added Avid Single Digit 7's, Avid Speed Dial levers, Shimano trigger shifters, Vuelta crankset and BB, quill stem adapter, 70mm stem and wider alloy bars. Still ride it at least twice a week trying to alternate days with my 29er.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-26er2.jpg  

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    So I finally got some pics of my 2001 Yeti ASR, rebuilt with some modern parts to keep her light, nimble, and climbing like a mountain goat!

Components:
    Raceface Next carbon handlebar
    Syncros FL1.5 stem
    Fox RLT F80 fork
    ODI Yeti locking grips
    XTR cantilever brakes
    Kore alloy seatpost
    Bontrager Affinity RXL carbon rail saddle
    Fox float rear shock
    SRAM XX carbon cranks
    Blackspire 32T N/W ring
    Blackspire bashguard
    Mavic crossmax SL TI pedals
    XTR 10 speed shifter
    SRAM XO rear derailleur
    SRAM PG1070 cassette
    Mavic M231 rims w/ XTR hubs
    Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 2.2 front tire
    Michelin Wild Race'R 2.0 rear tire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-yeti1.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-yeti2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I really prefer the older bikes. Picking this one up tomorrow.

2005 Gary Fisher Cake 3 $150

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice Yeti cnordt.

Seems like a good price on that Fisher, but once it's in your possession please take off the commuter tires and put something with tread on it. Hopefully the shocks have been serviced too.

Happy Rollin' on the weekend!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Nice Yeti cnordt.

Seems like a good price on that Fisher, but once it's in your possession please take off the commuter tires and put something with tread on it. Hopefully the shocks have been serviced too.

Absolutely on the tires! Got some on the way. It's getting checked out at the lbs Monday.

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Nice Yeti cnordt.

Thanks! I've wanted a Yeti since I started riding back in the early 90's but could never afford the price tag.. I almost don't want to ride it so I don't brake anything haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydavisjr View Post
    I really prefer the older bikes. Picking this one up tomorrow.

2005 Gary Fisher Cake 3 $150

Well I picked up the Fisher and seems to be in decent condition. Needs a shifter cable and rear brake service.

Unfortunately I didn't realize I was a little heavy for the bike. Got home and took it for test ride and it bottoms out as soon I step on the pedals. Oh well. I'll have it serviced and sell it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Doesn't it have air suspension? Just put some more air in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Doesn't it have air suspension? Just put some more air in it.
    True, but the weight limit is supposedly 225 and I'm 300. Now if it won't hurt too much, I may pump it up to max and see how that works.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast