mtbr member
    Dec 2014

26er DJ / play bike on the cheap

I'd like to get a simple and playful beater bike to practice technique and to generally fool around with. It struck me that some of the DJ style bikes that were sold as youth bikes in the '00s might be a good base to build such a bike. The idea would be to singlespeed the bike and replace the fork with a 120-130mm travel one and put a properly wide riser bar on it.

Now the challenge is to find a used bike with a good enough frame for such use. I found a Bikeradar article that lauded the 2010 Scott Voltage YZ frame while bashing its build kit - that sounds about perfect for me. Others that I've thought of are Kona Stuff and Shred models but they are harder to come by cheap. Any other suggestions? Burly frame, disk brakes, an oversized headtube to run tapered forks is a plus. Vertical dropouts are also okay, I don't mind running a chain tensioner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Specialized P-series bikes fit the bill
    Azonic had a few frames that would work also, like the Steelhead.

I've got a Sinister DNA that I did the same thing with.

New DJ builds are actually pretty cheap to begin with, so you might want to look at those before going to a build.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks, I looked up those bikes but found nothing at the local used market.

On the other hand I could source Scott Voltage YZ 35s pretty easily because they were sold by the boatload by a general sports equipment chain back in the day. Can anyone confirm that the frame on those is legit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    Thanks, I looked up those bikes but found nothing at the local used market.

On the other hand I could source Scott Voltage YZ 35s pretty easily because they were sold by the boatload by a general sports equipment chain back in the day. Can anyone confirm that the frame on those is legit?
    The frame on the Scott looks like the early 2000s Specialized HardRock. I did something similar. I still see them on CL from time to time.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have a 2005 Jamis Komodo Fx 1.0 for sale if you are interested... usd425 slightly neg...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    I'd like to get a simple and playful beater bike to practice technique and to generally fool around with. It struck me that some of the DJ style bikes that were sold as youth bikes in the '00s might be a good base to build such a bike. The idea would be to singlespeed the bike and replace the fork with a 120-130mm travel one and put a properly wide riser bar on it.

Now the challenge is to find a used bike with a good enough frame for such use. I found a Bikeradar article that lauded the 2010 Scott Voltage YZ frame while bashing its build kit - that sounds about perfect for me. Others that I've thought of are Kona Stuff and Shred models but they are harder to come by cheap. Any other suggestions? Burly frame, disk brakes, an oversized headtube to run tapered forks is a plus. Vertical dropouts are also okay, I don't mind running a chain tensioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramarante View Post
    I have a 2005 Jamis Komodo Fx 1.0 for sale if you are interested... usd425 slightly neg...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/j...05komodo10.jpg sample pic

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Nah, wrong continent. Not going to pay over 200 for the bike anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018