Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well I'm about to upset my own thread now... But since it's my daggum thread, I'm gonna do it.

Until I rode this bike, I've never had the desire to ride anything by my 26" AMHT. My terrain is peppered with chunk, sandstone and limestone Cliff drops, monster trucking, baby heads... General chunk.

I've been considering the Stache for a while now, so I didn't take this step blindly.

It's the best trail bike I've ever ridden. Small drops up to 3 feet are confident and cake, log rides to wheelie drops are a no brainer with all that meaty traction, small doubles, tables, etc... It flies great!

For now, I've got no intention of selling my 26, but it will get less love.

26? What's the point??!!-img_20170812_164259887-picsay.jpg
    26? What's the point??!!-img_20170812_164312302-picsay.jpg
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

Sneaker man
    Man, you've gone so far of topic it's crazy!!!!!
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Word!

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Well I'm about to upset my own thread now... But since it's my daggum thread, I'm gonna do it.

Until I rode this bike, I've never had the desire to ride anything by my 26" AMHT. My terrain is peppered with chunk, sandstone and limestone Cliff drops, monster trucking, baby heads... General chunk.

I've been considering the Stache for a while now, so I didn't take this step blindly.

It's the best trail bike I've ever ridden. Small drops up to 3 feet are confident and cake, log rides to wheelie drops are a no brainer with all that meaty traction, small doubles, tables, etc... It flies great!

For now, I've got no intention of selling my 26, but it will get less love.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170812_164312302-picsay.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	1152528
    Wow- the 29 + look huge in that comparison. Stash has been well reviewed by many- Congrats. I'm on 650b+ and loving the confidence and stability as going from 26.

Today, I'm taking the 1991 HardRock out for a spin though. I bumped it to 2.4 tires.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Hardtail Steel Forever

Name:	IMG_20170812_164259887-picsay.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1152527

How much higher is the BB on that beast? Seriously, those wheels look absolutely massive next to the 26's.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    How much higher is the BB on that beast? Seriously, those wheels look absolutely massive next to the 26's.
    Supposedly at the same height, more or less.
    On the 29er the BB is lowered to compensate for the increase in axle height.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ... It flies great!...

Name:	IMG_20170812_164259887-picsay.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1152527

How does it climb though? I would like to get to the top of the climb without having a heart attack. LoL. Those wheels are massive!

mtbr member
    There is a little lens perspective foolery going on there making the difference appear greater than it really is.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Yes. Absolutely, undeniably and inarguably yes.
    Anyone that has actually spent any time at all riding with talented riders will agree 100%.

As far as easily verified evidence, I would start by presenting all mountain biking that took place prior to the year 2000.

It was the pre digital-era, so I don't have many pics or video, but I've seen incredible riding done on bikes that the internet gear-weenies of today would undoubtedly blame for all their shortcomings.

Someday I'll get around to scanning my old pics.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to slapheadmofo again."
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Yep! When I first looked at it in the store, I was floored. I held it up next to a bike with 26x2.3" and my jaw dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Supposedly at the same height, more or less.
    On the 29er the BB is lowered to compensate for the increase in axle height.
    Since the early adaptation of the 29'er, there has been BB drop geometry. You literally do "sit down in" the bike. The picture above with the bikes side by side show the BB height is very similar.

Just as the BB-chainstay has changed to drop the BB below the level of the rear axle, the shorter head tube helps compensate for an excessively tall stack. I love a good, tall stack height, but if I ran the same bar/stem/headset/spacer combo on both bikes, the Stache would feel like an old-man hybrid.
    Running a 25mm rise bar on the Stache versus a 50mm rise on my Komodo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    How does it climb though? I would like to get to the top of the climb without having a heart attack. LoL. Those wheels are massive!
    You wouldn't believe me if I told you, LOL. My 26x2.4" Maxxis Ardent tires are Published weight 815 grams. Best tires I've ever had on my Komodo. Low knobs/fat casing so I can run lower psi and get more wrap-grip from the squishy tire. The 29x3" Chupacabra tires are ~884-895grams. They are excellent for my rocky/chunky terrain and handle rocks well. Not a huge difference in weight.

Stan's Flow EX rims: 490g
    Sun Duroc 50 rims: 655g (not too shabby for something that's nearly double my Flow EX)

Compared to my Hope Pro-4 / DT Comp / Stan's Flow EX wheelset on my Komodo...sure, there's a bit of a perceivable difference. But my wheelset was almost $900. My entire Trek Stache was only $999.

If I had a $900 wheelset on the Stache, the numbers would be even closer together and the perception would be even more difficult to detect. I've got a boutique wheelset on one and an entry level on the other.

Weight is not the cause of any perceivable difference anyhoo IMO. It's the contact patch.

I think the biggest perceivable difference is when you're rolling on pavement. My Komodo is fairly snappy and the motor-up initial takeoff on the Stache is definitely noticeable. It has more to do with the larger contact patch than weight. The extra rubber on the ground does add an initial bit of resistance...but after the first couple of pedal strokes, it's all momentum.

The moment you hit the trail and all those bumps, the tables turn. I climbed things on the Stache that my 26" Heckler, 26" Komodo, 26" SS couldn't even begin to get traction on. I normally pick my lines wisely on my 26" which is fun IMO and I feel accomplished. But I intentionally pick some very straight and dill-holery lines on the Stache. When it just rolls through it, I just laugh. Chunky/rocky climbs? Glide right up.

As I motor toward rock-work, roots, etc...I find myself preparing to negotiate the obstacles... Yet when I get to them, it just rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    There is a little lens perspective foolery going on there making the difference appear greater than it really is.
    Not much lens perspective foolery. I squatted to snap the picture and took it at the level of the wheelsets. 26" is about 26.3" and the 29x3 is about 30.5"...so you're looking at 4" difference.
    Last edited by chelboed; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    26? What's the point??!!-img_20170819_093541764-picsay.jpg

Well I took the 26er out for a head-to-head against the Stache. My 26er is a 2005 Kinesis All Mountain Hardtail with a full-on brand new m8000 XT 1x11 build including m8000 cranks and 180/180 Ice Tech brakes. Super smooth 150mm RS coil fork.

I took the same route on both bikes. Both bikes were super fun.

My overall speed was faster on the Stache as well as less energy expended.

That said, there are just some days where I'll prefer the 26er. It's fun in its own way. Some days it's fun to Bob'n'weave and dance through the boulders. Other days it's fun to motor the tank up and over everything.

Will not be leaving this 26 forum any time soon, but will surely be spending time with the Plus-Boyz.

Accelerating into a new jump after a berm is super snappy on my 26. No denying that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Well, it exists, and factory teams spend significant amounts of time and energy experimenting and testing equipment.
    OK I need opinions, including if am I messing up the downhill times or something. I've been using the rigid lockout on the 26" 80mm fork lately. Small downhill trail 3:55 time, longer serpentine ridge trails about 4 miles from the 1st trail 8:55 time. So I switch back to softest setting on the 80mm. That is the ONLY change, no other changes at all. Small trail time now 3:30, OK I thought this must be an anomaly, how can a crappy 80mm fork be 11% faster down the hill than locked rigid. So then I do the longer trail, 7:55 time, again 11% faster. It wasn't really noticeably faster but the times are the times. So now what? Do I keep this fork because now I'm more curious than ever to upgrade it and see how much time I can shave off. Upgradeitis!!!

Sneaker man
    how many times have you ridden the trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    OK I need opinions, including if am I messing up the downhill times or something. I've been using the rigid lockout on the 26" 80mm fork lately. Small downhill trail 3:55 time, longer serpentine ridge trails about 4 miles from the 1st trail 8:55 time. So I switch back to softest setting on the 80mm. That is the ONLY change, no other changes at all. Small trail time now 3:30, OK I thought this must be an anomaly, how can a crappy 80mm fork be 11% faster down the hill than locked rigid. So then I do the longer trail, 7:55 time, again 11% faster. It wasn't really noticeably faster but the times are the times. So now what? Do I keep this fork because now I'm more curious than ever to upgrade it and see how much time I can shave off. Upgradeitis!!!
    It all depends on your skill level. It sounds like your 80mm travel gives you the confidence you need to push hard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I always wanted a Cannondale but never could afford a full suspension Cannondale let alone any other full suspension bike when I was younger. I ended up with a Gary Fisher Hard tale but after 20 years of EMS my back cant take the bumps that it provides. I found a Cannondale RZ 120 frame with a lefty for fairly cheap and built my own Cannondale. With everything I have on it the bike would be $3500 new and I really cant afford that.
    26? What's the point??!!-mtb1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    how many times have you ridden the trail?
    Small trail maybe 100 times by now. Never could break 4 min before recently. Still need to test the time more, it's by memory and the GPS app would take a while to dissect because it times the entire distance of the ride. Larger set of connected trails, maybe 15 times by now, for sure this 7:55 time is the fastest ever and I did it on a 26" instead of my 27.5"!!! Newfound confidence in the 26" now after hydraulic and front tire upgrades. I'll keep the 80mm fork for now. Just wondering how it would be with a 100mm or 120mm air fork, kind of like how a teenager dreams of some poster swimsuit model in their room.

Sneaker man
    well you need to wap your gps app for strava, that will dissect the ride for you on the fly.
    yeah 100 times is good enough to know the trail well, just sounded like you had only done it 3 or 4 times.
    I just smashed a decent time on a trail i know backwards on a 80mm forked, v-braked bike, over a 120mm forked disc braked bike, travel isn't everything

squish, squish in da fish
    i agree with jb weld. there is some trickery going on because the 29 is easily 3 to 4 inches in front of the 26

passed out in your garden
    Dont forget, that 29 is a 29+, therefore bigger than a "plain old" 29er
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    This has been a fun & funny thread. Once or twice I nearly went back to hitting the sauce...

I'm new to the forum...Great stuff! I have a 1990 full rigid 26 cannondale and a 2004 26 scalpel lefty. These are the two best reasons I have for riding the 26. If Cannondale would graciously provide me with a 27.5 and/or a 29, I'd be more than happy to give them a fair try...and report back to the forum with my findings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
    I'm new to the forum...Great stuff! I have a 1990 full rigid 26 cannondale and a 2004 26 scalpel lefty. These are the two best reasons I have for riding the 26.
    I love your reasoning . Two of my lightest-ever builds are 26ers. I'm enjoying them while they last. I ride 'em because I have 'em. It's as good a reason as any.

Next bike will be a 650b though. Either that, or a 27.5. Still deciding.

That guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Next bike will be a 650b though. Either that, or a 27.5. Still deciding.
    Hehe, good one!

One of my bikes is a 27'er, yup, in between 26" and 27.5".

mtbr member

Love old bikes

I recently retired (62) and found an old 26" Omega 1800 in my back ally. I rode the hell out of that bike. It got me into fixing, riding bikes and restoring them.
    Right now I have restored magnas, and given them to friends and family, I did a Trek 820, Nishiki Manitoba, Giant Cypress DX for my wife, Schwinn Seirra, Nishiki Century road bike, and in the last two weeks I bought a1986 Bridgestone MB2 all original in great shape for 15.00 (Had an old Wilderness Trail Bikes seat) and today I bought a Univega Range Rover for 5.00 in rideable shape. I sell a few and put the money into bike tools. I ride all these bikes, on flat trails and paved trails. 20-50 miles a week.
    I only wish I could have discovered biking at 18-20 years of age, but I am happy with what I got and my wife and I have a blast. ( Rode my first BMX race last year and placed third, I will leave that to the younger guys due to bad neck. I will post pics in a few days.
    (Never pay retail!!!)

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by dg5228 View Post
    I recently retired (62) and found an old 26" Omega 1800 in my back ally. I rode the hell out of that bike. It got me into fixing, riding bikes and restoring them.
    Right now I have restored magnas, and given them to friends and family, I did a Trek 820, Nishiki Manitoba, Giant Cypress DX for my wife, Schwinn Seirra, Nishiki Century road bike, and in the last two weeks I bought a1986 Bridgestone MB2 all original in great shape for 15.00 (Had an old Wilderness Trail Bikes seat) and today I bought a Univega Range Rover for 5.00 in rideable shape. I sell a few and put the money into bike tools. I ride all these bikes, on flat trails and paved trails. 20-50 miles a week.
    I only wish I could have discovered biking at 18-20 years of age, but I am happy with what I got and my wife and I have a blast. ( Rode my first BMX race last year and placed third, I will leave that to the younger guys due to bad neck. I will post pics in a few days.
    (Never pay retail!!!)
    Congrats on your new interest. I also learned by fixing up old bikes. Have fun and welcome to the site.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    That sounds awesome, dg5228!! sorry about the neck trouble...third place is rockin'!

I still have the frame of my wife's old Bridgestone purchased back in 1990...have been eyeballing it lately to maybe restore it.

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Why 26? Well.....I've been riding MTB's since the mid 1970's, when the sport didn't even have a name yet. I've seen 40 years of tech advances, trends, improvements, and some downright dumb $hit (18mm rims w/2.3 skinwalls?!?!). Anyhoo, the ole "bigger& better" train just keeps on a rolling, year after year. At some point along the line, I decided actually riding was a lot more fun than buying/building something new every year just to be "cool." For my riding style and trails, (YMMV....) It's a solid, 26" platform, with mid-to heavy duty parts, ISIS BB, wider double-wall rims, 2.1-2.3 blackwalls, cable discs, etc. And yes I have several variations- Haro Sonix VL 120 (1x9), Mongoose black-diamond single-speed hardtail, no-name rigid 3x8 gravel pounder, and even a Hoffman 26" MTB/BMX pumptrack rig. Good thing is I've got TONS of interchangeable parts in the shop room, new replacement parts are cheap and plentiful, and they're all set up for minimal maintenance and max riding time

mtbr member
    I've probably said this too many times in various forums, but I love my '01 Schwinn Homegrown Hardtail! As my build currently stands, I'm into it to the tune of nearly $3k. I bought it as a NIB, unbuilt frame. I built it exactly as I wanted it. King hubs, Stans Alpine hoops, Huntchinson Python tubeless tires, carbon bar, Thomson post, blah, blah, blah... It is the most fun, fastest accelerating bike I've ever ridden. At sub 20 lbs, it's also the lightest mountain bike I've ever ridden. Maybe it's the short wheelbase, maybe it's a lucky fit, I don't know, but It's the bike I choose over all others.

I've contemplated converting it to 27.5, but why? It does everything I need it to do.
    One gear for all, 'cus one is all you need.

4AM
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I still love my 26er and there will never be a more versatile wheel size. I am thinking about building up a new one, staying classy with steel, and trying to create the most versatile mountain bike I can. Here is a link to my google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    It also has a few other build ideas on it and me and my friend are constantly updating it. If any of you guys are thinking about doing a complete custom bike we put together this sheet setup and it works for almost all bikes. But 26 all the way. I ride my dad's old '97 Privateer Comp quite a bit. Works on the local trails, messing around town and the car parks, and great at the dirt jump park.

mtbr member
    That cotic is a pretty sweet looking frame. Let us know if you get one.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

4AM
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Will do. I'm just a high schooler trying to make some cash so it might take longer to acquire all of the parts than it would for most.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345