mtbr member
    Jul 2005

26 is dead...give it up...

(semi cross-post... Sorry)

So tired of hearing that. 26 dead?

26 wanes...for the market lays it to rest from the success of bringing shiny and new to the pocketbooks of common man.

The year was 2005. A blue collar company by the name of Jamis sought the help of Kinesis to produce bone shaking perfection in the form of the new freeride hardtail version of the Komodo.

Designed to take a lashing from its intended abuser with a grin. Neither light nor advanced in technology or features, the magic geometry shined brightly on the trail.

Years pass, people age, the frame stands strong. Horst gives way to VPP, the heavy gussets stand firm. 26 bows to 29, 29 to 650b...the angry Komodo continues to destroy everything in its path.

They keep telling him to cast it aside. He rebuilds it into an angrier freeride hardtail.

You can't keep up, you're portly and slow. He builds it svelte.

Years pass, the many angry faces of Komodo pass them by...from all-mountain shredder...

...to all-mountain rigid...it can't be stopped.

Now, 11 years deep...they nearly lay the Komodo to rest. Promises of plus size, electric assist, platform suspension and the like. One trip to the trail reminds them all of the geometrical perfection created in 2005...be it by accident, or pure genius.

Another age of the blue collar Kinesis beast is at hand. Though weary of the blood spilled on the trail...we must lay to rest the cliche of red ano.

The age of regal is upon us.

Forgive my theatrics...I have a connection to this frame. I'll probably never sell it.

New build:

2005 Komodo
    Rockshox Sektor DPC
    Shimano Hone crankset 32t
    XT 9 speed rear derailleur
    XT 9 speed shifter
    SRAM PC990 chain
    XT 11-34 cassette
    Thomson Elite post
    WTB Rocket V Team Ti saddle
    Spank Spike Race Stem
    Answer Pro Taper AM 720 Bars
    ODI Yeti Logo lock-on grips
    Hope Pro 4 Evo hubs QR15 frt/ bolt up rear
    Stan's Flow EX Rims
    Kenda Nevegal X Pro 2.35 DTC SCT tires
    Stan's sealant
    Crank Brothers Candy C pedals

26 is alive and well, and ready for some trail.
    Last edited by chelboed; 01-04-2017 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Your story and your bike are awesome! Nicely done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks. Hope I don't piss anyone off, but sometimes posts begin to look the same.

RAKC
    That was actually the most interesting and worthy read on here in a while. Nicely done and beautiful bike

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

No good in rock gardens..
    Funny, I was just thinking about the Komodo the other day, a friend of mine that owns an LBS was a Jamis dealer and I always thought they looked cool.

26" isn't dead either.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Thanks. Hope I don't piss anyone off, but sometimes posts begin to look the same.
    Dude, you really ****ing piss me off man. How dare you make a mockery of the MTB industry. This diatribe of yours is a complete travesty! I'm gonna come over there and I'm gonna rip that bike from your bloody paws and I'm gonna ride the hell outa that bike, and I ain't givin' it back!

used to be RipRoar
    That is a sweet looking frame. It is a great feeling when you find that magical combination of frame sizing and geometry that perfectly matches your body and simply rips on the trail. Good job on keeping her rolling.

A friend of mine is still rockin his Nomad 26er, great bike.

The White Jeff W
    (semi cross-post... Sorry)

So tired of hearing that. 26 dead?

26 wanes...for the market lays it to rest from the success of bringing shiny and new to the pocketbooks of common man.

The year was 2005. A blue collar company by the name of Jamis sought the help of Kinesis to produce bone shaking perfection in the form of the new freeride hardtail version of the Komodo.

Designed to take a lashing from its intended abuser with a grin. Neither light nor advanced in technology or features, the magic geometry shined brightly on the trail.

Years pass, people age, the frame stands strong. Horst gives way to VPP, the heavy gussets stand firm. 26 bows to 29, 29 to 650b...the angry Komodo continues to destroy everything in its path.

They keep telling him to cast it aside. He rebuilds it into an angrier freeride hardtail.

You can't keep up, you're portly and slow. He builds it svelte.

Years pass, the many angry faces of Komodo pass them by.

Now, 11 years deep...they nearly lay the Komodo to rest. Promises of plus size, electric assist, platform suspension and the like. One trip to the trail reminds them all of the geometrical perfection created in 2005...be it by accident, or pure genius.

Another age of the blue collar Kinesis beast is at hand. Though weary of the blood spilled on the trail...we must lay to rest the cliche of red ano.

The age of regal is upon us.

Forgive my theatrics...I have a connection to this frame. I'll probably never sell it.

New build:

2005 Komodo
    Rockshox Sektor DPC
    Shimano Hone crankset 32t
    XT 9 speed rear derailleur
    XT 9 speed shifter
    SRAM PC990 chain
    XT 11-34 cassette
    Thomson Elite post
    WTB Rocket V Team Ti saddle
    Spank Spike Race Stem
    Answer Pro Taper AM 720 Bars
    ODI Yeti Logo lock-on grips
    Hope Pro 4 Evo hubs QR15 frt/ bolt up rear
    Stan's Flow EX Rims
    Kenda Nevegal X Pro 2.35 DTC SCT tires
    Stan's sealant
    Crank Brothers Candy C pedals

26 is alive and well, and ready for some trail.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm picking up a 26" this weekend. First off-road big wheel big (have a single speed/fixed gear and been BMXing since I was a kid), and I was loathing reading this based on the thread name alone. I am glad I did!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5-star writing!!!

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006

I have one of those frames also, currently serving time as a backup jump/pump bike.
    Sweet!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I thought i was the only one who ran riser bars Great post,loved it

Cycologist
    we must lay to rest the cliche of red ano.
    That cliche of red ano would look sweet on my Dragon!
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    That cliche of red ano would look sweet on my Dragon!
    It's cliche in my life. I had my red Hope Pro 2 wheelset built up by Universal Cycles in 2006. They did such an amazing job, they have lasted me 10+ years. (I say + because they're still alive) Red has become cliche for me because I've had to work with it for so long...and it seems over the years, it's one of the most used non-black colors. Still looks good and is easy to match across brands, but I'm tired of it. I would have gone blue, but I didn't want to get tired of blue.

Funny thing...I started panicking this last build because I wanted to go back to a nice build but my HT is 1 1/8", rear spacing 135mm, and 26" wheels...really threatened to kill my build. I hadn't followed the trends in a couple years and it seemed like over night, everything turned into tapered HT's and boost spacing / 142x12 rear. Frightening.

I finally found 2 nice forks still produced with a straight steerer...Fox 32 and RS Sektor Dual Position Coil. I'm a little tired of air sprung forks. The initial travel on the DPC is so smooth, it's ridiculous. Doesn't matter what people say about air forks...sure, they're nice and much, much better than they used to be, but there's absolutely nothing like a nice coil sprung fork. The Dual Position feature will serve me well in my region, not to mention 10mm extra travel fits this frame like a glove.

Since I've had Hope hubs for 10 years, I've grown to love them more than any component I've ever purchased. A versatile, light, strong wheelset is the best upgrade you can give yourself in the long run. My old front wheel has gone from 20mm TA to 9mm QR back to 20mm TA to 9mm QR rigid fork finally to QR 15...a good aftermarket hub will have the ability to change cones to accommodate most configurations...and the bolt-up rear hub this time around will bring my rigid rear triangle to the ultimate in lateral support. Zero flex...very snappy.

mtbr member
    Awesome bike!!! Looks super stiff love to replace my single speed with one of those frames.

Sent from mTalk

650b me
    An enjoyable post, indeed! Thanks for sharing. No plans to stop riding my 26'er. It puts the biggest grin on my face, therefore it is the best bike for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Great thread, even greater looking bike. Nice job.
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."

mtbr member
    nuthin has gotten between me and 559s....yet...

nice post op!

mtbr member
    About twenty years ago, they said that vinyl was dead.

26 is dead...give it up...-11356581_1019289721422813_1506312992_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice and welcome post!

Jamis has 26+ bikes this year!

Lightning strikes twice.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    loving the Passion for your old bike. such commitment and affection for what still is a good looking mofo bike.

though I was real happy to find a sucker to buy my last 26er last fall (However I would kill to find a nice vintage pre-Trek Klein 26er in my size)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Nice and welcome post!

Jamis has 26+ bikes this year!

Lightning strikes twice.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    Jack: I'm droolin' 26+Dragonslayer or Komodo would be welcome with open arms in my garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCsaltchucker View Post
    loving the Passion for your old bike. such commitment and affection for what still is a good looking mofo bike.

though I was real happy to find a sucker to buy my last 26er last fall (However I would kill to find a nice vintage pre-Trek Klein 26er in my size)
    Salt: the fit and finish on old Klein's are nothing short of fine art

mtbr member
    Love your bike and I feel ya, I found my sweet spot in a 26er and although I've built my perfect rigid monstercross bike in 29" the proper MTB trails will be the domain of the 26" wheel for years to come for me and my boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice read, still a couple 26ers in my stable as well but not as nice as that. Congrats on finding the perfect bike for yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

My happiness

I've had my Giant Warp DS3 since 2003 and will ride it until it or me dies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26 is dead...give it up...-img_0052.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice Palomino man!! My favorite bike is a palomino, I have it build with i9 wheels and a dropper post.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Nice Palomino man!! My favorite bike is a palomino, I have it build with i9 wheels and a dropper post.
    Cheers, I fitted the Maverick link and had the shock rebuilt some years back and it's been flawless since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    I thought i was the only one who ran riser bars Great post,loved it
    Definitely not! I've got risers on my Yeti too..26 is dead...give it up...-yeti2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Loved your post as well as the story detailing all the changes you've made over the years, beautiful bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Awesome post! Getting back into this after a long hiatus, I had my choice of bikes from 29er, to 27.5. There's just something about the 26 that I cannot forget, so that's what I went for (Maverick ML8). Don't get me wrong, I probably will add a 29er in the future, but I will not let go of my 26.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Great post to be honest I believe 650B is so close to a 26" that it's just a way to resurrect the 26" without admitting they shouldn't have gotten rid of them.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

banned
    Feb 2017
    As My opinion 26 is also in running with 27.5 & 29 Tire size. All has different kind of Customers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The only people you'll piss off is those going to different wheel sizes to get 'faster'. What these peeps need to do in order to get faster is
    1) STFU and learn to ride
    2) ride a lot while doing the STFU thang

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    97 specialized rockhopper.- winter beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- summer commuter

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Great post, OP. Enjoy the historical photo essay, if you will. My favorite iteration is the "all-mountain shredder" with the Pike.

banned
    Feb 2017
    26 inch bike wheel not only losing its popularity but are dead its a pretty strong statement. Mostly it is used for mountain bikes.

Latest bike which is 700c. Its design process 650B which is look better on this smaller frame. Here it has a taller headtube which is increase its looks and comfort of ride give a space to your legs .

Rod
    mtbr member
    Enjoyed your post. I had a jamis dakota, basically a dragon, in 05 and I loved it. I wish I didn't sell that bike.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Enjoyed your post. I had a jamis dakota, basically a dragon, in 05 and I loved it. I wish I didn't sell that bike.
    See below!
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    nice post- I recently acquired a 2008 Jamis Komodo 1- and absolutely love it- have new pedals coming in for it today so once those get installed I will post some photos of it- love the Komodo frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by undrwtrassassin View Post
    I recently acquired a 2008 Jamis Komodo 1- and absolutely love it- have new pedals coming in for it today so once those get installed I will post some photos of it
    Cool. You'll like it even more once it has pedals on it. They work a lot better with pedals on, once you learn how to work them.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Cool. You'll like it even more once it has pedals on it. They work a lot better with pedals on, once you learn how to work them.
    now you inform us....scheesh.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Great... Another e-bike thread!

mtbr member
    Just make sure you get 26 inch specific pedals. What you hear on any of the 29er forums won't work for your build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    touche'- I see what you did there. nice.

Stock pedals weren't cutting it- deity decoy's came in yesterday

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Not sure if I mentioned it yet, but one size that is almost done is 27".
    I'm not sure there's even a bike made using it. I used to run commuters with this size and tire selection was quite good. Nowadays, not so much. Will we see this happen with 26"? I think it will take awhile as 26" has been around longer that anybody here has been alive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    just bought a set of DTswiss M1700's as well- really love the write up on yours and the build- looking for some forks for mine next!
    26 is dead...give it up...-img_20170228_182114_317.jpg26 is dead...give it up...-20170219_104510.jpg26 is dead...give it up...-20170218_124450.jpg26 is dead...give it up...-20170129_123549.jpg26 is dead...give it up...-20170129_111018-0-.jpg
    Last edited by undrwtrassassin; 03-07-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Loves moped riders
    Aug 2013
    Sweet ride, great set of pics.
    Although that first one looks a little fake.

Whoa, you waited three years and THEN bought a 55?
    That's rough. Literally.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I was a little surprised how few 26" bikes there were last time I went to Raystown lake. But I suppose the sort of person that rides there replaces their bikes often enough that the number of 26" still on the trails are pretty small. My commuter is 26", I sometimes worry about tire choices, but I can happily use crummy tires on that bike. My guess is that you will still be able to get decent mtb tires in 26" for some time, and road tires for longer than that

mtbr member
    Urban tires will probably be around forever. It's also a good bet that DH tires will remain as well. I've got a small stock of NIB 26" tires on the shelf, but I've taken to riding the set of DH tires I bought when I was looking to fit as much tire as possible in the frame. It's amazing how juicy they are... 2.5" carcass with huge lugs is a beast. Not a fast tire at low pressure, but they soak up everything without complaint and climb like a gecko.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    26 is dead...give it up...-img_20170304_175352_283.jpg
    Deity pedals and grips on, as well as my new to me DTSwiss wheelset-
    what a difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Great story and nice ride I have been riding 26 MTBs since the start and I don't plan to change

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    now you inform us....scheesh.
    And all this time we spent staring at the bike in frustration could have been avoided early on.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Urban tires will probably be around forever. It's also a good bet that DH tires will remain as well. I've got a small stock of NIB 26" tires on the shelf, but I've taken to riding the set of DH tires I bought when I was looking to fit as much tire as possible in the frame. It's amazing how juicy they are... 2.5" carcass with huge lugs is a beast. Not a fast tire at low pressure, but they soak up everything without complaint and climb like a gecko.
    Now that plus tires and serious side walls are found on the Depeche Mode tires are heavier, and good old 26" DH meaty tires are not so heavy anymore!

All hail the mighty.

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using Tapatalk

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    I was a little surprised how few 26" bikes there were last time I went to Raystown lake. But I suppose the sort of person that rides there replaces their bikes often enough that the number of 26" still on the trails are pretty small. My commuter is 26", I sometimes worry about tire choices, but I can happily use crummy tires on that bike. My guess is that you will still be able to get decent mtb tires in 26" for some time, and road tires for longer than that
    i use cheap Kenda tires for my commuter. they have everything from winter to summer and hold up quite well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was poking around an LBS a couple days ago, and the mechanic was tuning up an OLD Specialized S Works FSR, looked to be from the 90's. Obviously 26, V brakes, with some sort of air rear shock I had never seen, but looked pretty nice. Love seeing stuff like that these days.

26 has indeed died for me, after riding a 29er a few times I personally found the wagon wheels to improve my rides immensely, but hats off to those keen to stick with 26. Whatever works for you, and really nice build. That bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Power to the people!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OlMarin View Post
    The only people you'll piss off is those going to different wheel sizes to get 'faster'. What these peeps need to do in order to get faster is
    1) STFU and learn to ride
    2) ride a lot while doing the STFU thang
    You may find this interesting: last week I did my favorite 30 min trail for the first time on my new 27.5". I thought it would definitely beat the 30 min time I normally did for my 26". The 27.5" was roughly a minute SLOWER than the 26". And this was on very rocky terrain, you'd think the 27.5" would roll over everything much faster. It was the 1st time doing that loop for the 27.5" so maybe I need to get more used to it with the different bike or something. And now today I did a different 2-hour loop, and basically same times again for both bike tire sizes. So, while 26" bikes do tend to get hung up more on trail rocks, they are not necessarily slower overall. Here is a question: all other bike parts being equal, would a professional xc biker get a faster time on a 27.5" or a 26"?

mtbr member
    I think the question, is which one is more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Here is a question: all other bike parts being equal..
    But that's the thing, they're not equal.

The difference between 26 and 27.5 is so small that the effect will easily be swamped by other differences in the bike. Frame geometry, material and construction style will make a much bigger difference to how the bike feels and how fast it is. Your new bike may well be slower and it may well have nothing to do with the wheel size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yes, but the hypothetical comparison is based on "all other parts being equal", as in equal frames, geometry, material, construction style. Consider two identical bikes, same make and model, one with 26" tires, and one with a 27.5" conversion. Which would be faster on rocky trails. I understand the geometry will not be identical but this is hypothetical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I think the question, is which one is more fun.
    The 27.5" is more fun but that's due more to longer shocks, much better gearing, and hydraulic brakes. If the 26" had all of that it would most likely be just as fun, besides the inevitable stop on trail rocks one or more times per ride.

I have not ridden my 26" since I got my 27.5" because the 26" has a broken rear axle and the Chinese manufacturer ground mailed the wrong axle under warranty. So now I'm waiting on some sealed bearings to try and reconstruct something that works for the rear hub. Once that's done I'll ride both bikes and see a lot better how much or not I like the 27.5" more. I really want to give 26" bikes a chance but that trail rock problem, and scraped pedals over them, is obviously annoying. I rarely have any problem with trail rocks or pedal scraping with a 27.5".

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    They said all the bikes are identical, but they aren't identical. Did they change the gearing on each bike to reflect the change in gearing due to the different wheel sizes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, I noticed that but I'm going to have to assume since they pushed as hard as they could on each lap for each bike, they picked the appropriate gears to get them through it. I doubt they were limited out on either end of the spectrum. Not to mention that they were measuring respiration and oxygen with heart rate, so it was basically someone pushing as hard as he could and seeing which one got him there​ the quickest.

Loves moped riders
    Aug 2013
    The forums are dead, give it up.

mtbr member
    Are you having a bad day? I like these forums. Some good information. I also like my SB-66, and my 5 other 26in bikes.....

Loves moped riders
    Aug 2013
    Are you having a bad day? I like these forums. Some good information. I also like my SB-66, and my 5 other 26in bikes.....
    No, not usually.
    Just joined in with everyone else stating the obvious.

I like bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I absolutely loved the pros of your posting. Very entertaining. It's cool to see the many iterations of your bike. I am about to begin the same journey myself albeit in a backwards sort of way. My frame is shot but the components are still good enough to make me cringe at the thought of a new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    You may find this interesting: last week I did my favorite 30 min trail for the first time on my new 27.5". I thought it would definitely beat the 30 min time I normally did for my 26". The 27.5" was roughly a minute SLOWER than the 26". And this was on very rocky terrain, you'd think the 27.5" would roll over everything much faster. It was the 1st time doing that loop for the 27.5" so maybe I need to get more used to it with the different bike or something. And now today I did a different 2-hour loop, and basically same times again for both bike tire sizes. So, while 26" bikes do tend to get hung up more on trail rocks, they are not necessarily slower overall. Here is a question: all other bike parts being equal, would a professional xc biker get a faster time on a 27.5" or a 26"?
    OK, I made a major timing miscalculation with the previous times above. The 27.5" bike with the hydraulic brakes, 100mm fork, 3x8 11-30t drivetrain is way faster than the 26" with mechanical disks, cheap 80mm fork, 3x7 14-28t drivetrain. A bit embarrassing that I have two degrees in science and can't even time something correctly.

I can't do an .html upload from Google Maps so here's the link if it helps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sy...4d-116.9915692

The "downhill" course is 1.75 miles total from the highest hilltop (recent starting hilltop maybe 0.25 miles south after the typical starting junction on the map that is the T at the top, that I didn't get to before turning around last time, so typical course is 2.00 miles total but from now on will be 1.75 miles), and an 4.4% degree elevation decline on average (406 feet of elevation drop in 1.75 miles). The 27.5" did 1.75 miles in 16 minutes, averaging 6.5 mph on an extremely rocky downhill combination of dirt road and trails that split off 5 times and back to the road. I think a pro with a $5000 bike could do it at 8.0 mph, maybe? If they can do it at 12-13 mph, WOW...

I will time the 26" again later, to make sure, but starting at the 1.75 mile 'mark', with no stops for water, pictures, etc., it would according to a past ViewRanger plot be 22 minutes to the bottom. That's only 4.8 mph DOWNHILL. No wonder my dentist was telling me my fillings are cracking more than normal, it's the bumps on this trail!!! The 26" was more than 25% slower than the 27.5", which has all the modern bells and whistles.

If and when I upgrade the 26" with a 100mm fork, 11-30t freewheel, and hydraulic brakes, I'll retime it and post the results. I have a feeling after the upgrades it will finish at around 18 minutes, catching up 66% on time to the 27.5", and the 2-minute difference being the smaller tires compared to the 27.5". THAT is what this thread is all about right??? We will see. Sorry for all the anal-retentive calculations but I want to be correct with the data...