Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Cool. You'll like it even more once it has pedals on it. They work a lot better with pedals on, once you learn how to work them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    now you inform us....scheesh.
    And all this time we spent staring at the bike in frustration could have been avoided early on.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Urban tires will probably be around forever. It's also a good bet that DH tires will remain as well. I've got a small stock of NIB 26" tires on the shelf, but I've taken to riding the set of DH tires I bought when I was looking to fit as much tire as possible in the frame. It's amazing how juicy they are... 2.5" carcass with huge lugs is a beast. Not a fast tire at low pressure, but they soak up everything without complaint and climb like a gecko.
    Now that plus tires and serious side walls are found on the Depeche Mode tires are heavier, and good old 26" DH meaty tires are not so heavy anymore!

All hail the mighty.

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using Tapatalk

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    I was a little surprised how few 26" bikes there were last time I went to Raystown lake. But I suppose the sort of person that rides there replaces their bikes often enough that the number of 26" still on the trails are pretty small. My commuter is 26", I sometimes worry about tire choices, but I can happily use crummy tires on that bike. My guess is that you will still be able to get decent mtb tires in 26" for some time, and road tires for longer than that
    i use cheap Kenda tires for my commuter. they have everything from winter to summer and hold up quite well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was poking around an LBS a couple days ago, and the mechanic was tuning up an OLD Specialized S Works FSR, looked to be from the 90's. Obviously 26, V brakes, with some sort of air rear shock I had never seen, but looked pretty nice. Love seeing stuff like that these days.

26 has indeed died for me, after riding a 29er a few times I personally found the wagon wheels to improve my rides immensely, but hats off to those keen to stick with 26. Whatever works for you, and really nice build. That bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Power to the people!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OlMarin View Post
    The only people you'll piss off is those going to different wheel sizes to get 'faster'. What these peeps need to do in order to get faster is
    1) STFU and learn to ride
    2) ride a lot while doing the STFU thang
    You may find this interesting: last week I did my favorite 30 min trail for the first time on my new 27.5". I thought it would definitely beat the 30 min time I normally did for my 26". The 27.5" was roughly a minute SLOWER than the 26". And this was on very rocky terrain, you'd think the 27.5" would roll over everything much faster. It was the 1st time doing that loop for the 27.5" so maybe I need to get more used to it with the different bike or something. And now today I did a different 2-hour loop, and basically same times again for both bike tire sizes. So, while 26" bikes do tend to get hung up more on trail rocks, they are not necessarily slower overall. Here is a question: all other bike parts being equal, would a professional xc biker get a faster time on a 27.5" or a 26"?

mtbr member
    I think the question, is which one is more fun.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Here is a question: all other bike parts being equal..
    But that's the thing, they're not equal.

The difference between 26 and 27.5 is so small that the effect will easily be swamped by other differences in the bike. Frame geometry, material and construction style will make a much bigger difference to how the bike feels and how fast it is. Your new bike may well be slower and it may well have nothing to do with the wheel size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yes, but the hypothetical comparison is based on "all other parts being equal", as in equal frames, geometry, material, construction style. Consider two identical bikes, same make and model, one with 26" tires, and one with a 27.5" conversion. Which would be faster on rocky trails. I understand the geometry will not be identical but this is hypothetical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    I think the question, is which one is more fun.
    The 27.5" is more fun but that's due more to longer shocks, much better gearing, and hydraulic brakes. If the 26" had all of that it would most likely be just as fun, besides the inevitable stop on trail rocks one or more times per ride.

I have not ridden my 26" since I got my 27.5" because the 26" has a broken rear axle and the Chinese manufacturer ground mailed the wrong axle under warranty. So now I'm waiting on some sealed bearings to try and reconstruct something that works for the rear hub. Once that's done I'll ride both bikes and see a lot better how much or not I like the 27.5" more. I really want to give 26" bikes a chance but that trail rock problem, and scraped pedals over them, is obviously annoying. I rarely have any problem with trail rocks or pedal scraping with a 27.5".

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    They said all the bikes are identical, but they aren't identical. Did they change the gearing on each bike to reflect the change in gearing due to the different wheel sizes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, I noticed that but I'm going to have to assume since they pushed as hard as they could on each lap for each bike, they picked the appropriate gears to get them through it. I doubt they were limited out on either end of the spectrum. Not to mention that they were measuring respiration and oxygen with heart rate, so it was basically someone pushing as hard as he could and seeing which one got him there​ the quickest.

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    The forums are dead, give it up.

mtbr member
    Are you having a bad day? I like these forums. Some good information. I also like my SB-66, and my 5 other 26in bikes.....
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

Desert of the real
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Are you having a bad day? I like these forums. Some good information. I also like my SB-66, and my 5 other 26in bikes.....
    No, not usually.
    Just joined in with everyone else stating the obvious.

I like bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I absolutely loved the pros of your posting. Very entertaining. It's cool to see the many iterations of your bike. I am about to begin the same journey myself albeit in a backwards sort of way. My frame is shot but the components are still good enough to make me cringe at the thought of a new bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12