mtbr member
    Mar 2017

2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Expert Carbon 26er

I found what seems to be a great deal, and the bike was owned by a bicycle mechanic here in colorado. He's asking $1,500 for the bike, he has upgraded the front fork to a pike 160, rear is a rockshock monarch plus debonair.

here is the link to it: https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d...450203209.html

I have a 1400-1500 budget, but I'd rather stay on the lower end as I need a new pair of riding gloves, going to need pedals, and would like to buy a pair of mtb specific shoes (e.g 5.10's or something similar)

I can't really find anything else in this price range in a 27.5" which I would prefer for a more future proof build but this seems almost too good to pass up.

Thoughts? (note: I don't want a hardtail at all, so thats not an option....I owned a trek marlin 7 for a few months and it doesn't allow me to charge down trails which is my riding style. I am much faster on a FS (I rented one, and it was like riding on a cloud, i'll never go back to a HT).

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    no feedback? >.<

still contemplating this one, or a 2016 spec enduro....they're both the same price.

The idea of carbon is nice though, much lighter i'm sure...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    How tall are you?
    5' 10"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevX View Post
    5' 10"
    I'd lean more towards a 27.5 given your height. There are some decent bikes in your price range but they won't be as light. Have you seen the DB Catch 1, especially with the corp discount? It's a 1x11 drivetrain boost bike with 2.8in width Nobby Nics and its under 1.6K after discount. That said, that EVO looks in great shape, the nude finish is understated, and trim wise it is maxed out. It's too close to call. I'd be stoked going either direction.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would buy that EVO. Great price on an absolute trail slayer. There's no such thing as future proofing so don't worry about it. Anything new will be unsupported or just undesirable by the time you sell it. You get to be on the best side of this deal with no worries of getting screwed on resale like everyone that buys new. Honestly, I would put a carbon EVO SJ against any 2018 trail bike. Those that have rode that bike know what a ripper it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    I'd lean more towards a 27.5 given your height.
    At 5'10" you can ride whatever wheel size you like best. I'm 5'8" and ride a medium SJ FSR 29'er just fine, there's a 5'4" woman I used see regularly shredding the technical single track of New England on her Trek 29'er.