mtbr member
    Feb 2018

2007(?) GT Avalanche 3.0 tinker toy question

Now that Iíve purchased a full squish trail bike, I want to do some tinkering on my old 26Ē GT Avalanche 3.0. Itís either a 2007 or 2008 model. Iím having a terrible time finding information on the bike, and I am clueless about bottom brackets and crank sets.

My immediate goal is to change the crankset out for a single disc, and then potentially convert to single speed. I found somewhere that the bottom bracket is a 68mm x 113 width. Would a shimano XT crankset with 68/73 bottom bracket included fit this bike?

Iím about to update with short stem and some wide 35mm clamp bars as well. I have some more ideas for this bike, so it may turn into a quasi-build thread, but if anyone can help with this first question, it would help me tremendously! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Sneaker man
    yep, if it's 68 then its threaded not press fit, then the 68/73 comes with 2 (2.5mm) spacers that you put on each side to take up the space of the 73 (obviously with a 73mm shell you don't use the spacers)

In the old days you had 68 or 73mm shells, then a whole bunch of axle lengths (eg 113) to fit the cranks/offset for the frame. These days, still - - for the external BB widths 68/73mm, but the cranks all have the same axle width, so you use the correct spacers and bolt it all together.
    All the gear and no idea.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    You could convert that one to single speed and not need a new crankset at all. Ditch the inner and outer rings and put a narrow wide ring on the center.

Otherwise, you just need a normal BSA bottom bracket for whatever crank spindle you're going to replace it with.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    You could convert that one to single speed and not need a new crankset at all. Ditch the inner and outer rings and put a narrow wide ring on the center.

Otherwise, you just need a normal BSA bottom bracket for whatever crank spindle you're going to replace it with.
    The crank is on of those cheap ones that is riveted together so I donít think it will work like that, but again, I donít know a ton about this stuff yet.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONER718 View Post
    The crank is on of those cheap ones that is riveted together so I donít think it will work like that, but again, I donít know a ton about this stuff yet.
    I tried to zoom in and it looked like a normal spider, but definitely, if it's welded or riveted, no use messing with it.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Thread already spun
    I'd stick with older stuff, in many areas you could build a sweet bike at the coop with stuff people are throwing out.

Also, 35mm stem/bar standard is only for looks/obsolescence.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    I'd stick with older stuff, in many areas you could build a sweet bike at the coop with stuff people are throwing out.

Also, 35mm stem/bar standard is only for looks/obsolescence.
    Only reason I added the new bars/stem is I replaced the bars on my full suspension bike with Renthal fatbar lite and so I had an extra 35 bore bar to use on the GT. The old LP carbon bars on the gt were only 23.8 inches wide so itís a nice change.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    2007(?) GT Avalanche 3.0 tinker toy question-aaef638a-0310-40ed-86a7-4a9d6ca13e4d.jpg

Sneaker man
    Freakin hell, those LP bars would have cost more than the whole bike!...mmmmmmmmmmmmm LP yum next best thing to old Nuke Proof

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Freakin hell, those LP bars would have cost more than the whole bike!...mmmmmmmmmmmmm LP yum next best thing to old Nuke Proof
    TBH I have no idea what the LP bars were worth. I bought them probably 7 years ago on eBay at a price I thought was reasonable. Donít remember what I paid for them.

Sneaker man
    yeah well, since nuke proof stopped making propper stuff, LP became my wish for brands, but since they stopped, now schmokle...but not for $300

Thread already spun
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONER718 View Post
    Only reason I added the new bars/stem is I replaced the bars on my full suspension bike with Renthal fatbar lite and so I had an extra 35 bore bar to use on the GT. The old LP carbon bars on the gt were only 23.8 inches wide so itís a nice change.
    Can't complain then, fit > standards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quick update...

So I ordered some tektro mechanical brake levers off eBay for $8.50, so I got to remove the front derailleur finally. I hated that thing so much.

Then I cut all the teeth off the large chainring to keep it as a bash guard. Going to run it as 1x8 for awhile before I decide if Iím going single speed or not. If I go SS, Iíll eventually replace the crankset and chainring.