Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    10

    $90 disc ready wheels from Bikes Direct

    I've been checking on these off and on for I don't know how long. BD finally had them in stock apparently and my order went thru

    $90 shipped. Good deal, seems like cheap 26" wheels are non-existent, and I'm not ready to custom build a wheel set for my 20 year old carbon fiber loaner, lol.

    Hope this does someone some good.

    FREE SHIP 48 STATES* MTB Wheelset PROMO SALE Vuelta ZeroLite Comp Aluminum Wheelset, Alloy Hub MTB Disc Brake Wheelsets

  2. #2
    Hardtail Steel Forever
    Reputation: jestep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,481
    I'll bet they're fairly heavy. But seems like a decent width at least. Someone might be able to comment on the hubs, I haven't used those personally. But no doubt, that's cheap to replace something for an older bike. I've seen some bad wheels sell for quite a bit more.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

  3. #3
    Just A Mountain Biker.
    Reputation: blaklabl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    I'd order a set for shits & giggles if I knew I could get those god awful graphics off of them...
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.



  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I'd order a set for shits & giggles if I knew I could get those god awful graphics off of them...
    acetone, the dissolve of all that is god awful.

    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    I'll bet they're fairly heavy. But seems like a decent width at least. Someone might be able to comment on the hubs, I haven't used those personally. But no doubt, that's cheap to replace something for an older bike. I've seen some bad wheels sell for quite a bit more.

    heck, I'm not expecting top notch wheels for $90 shipped. These are to replace similar quality "beater" rims that have started breaking spokes last year.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    712
    They weigh about 4.75 lbs total, about what they should weigh for the $$$. Amazon has them for $125 so yes you got a good deal. I was checking them out too lately but I think they are 19mm internal width and I was looking for a bit wider rims for + tires. I also saw a Wheelmaster WTB set for $110; but that weight was more than these, around 5 lbs total so the Vueltas seem like a good deal if you are just doing standard size tires. There are some wheelsets for $160-185 that weigh around 4.1 lbs together, just to provide a view of price vs. weight. Under 4 lbs total looks like $400+ so big jump in price below 4 lbs; none below that price are tubeless ready that I saw except some anomalies on E-Bay. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that my credit cards are maxed right now, so I can't be a weight weenie even if I wanted to.
    ABSU: Arrogantly executing mythological occult metal since 1991.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,553
    Built and shipped from China than shipped to you for $90.
    How's that even possible?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    I've been checking on these off and on for I don't know how long. BD finally had them in stock apparently and my order went thru

    $90 shipped. Good deal, seems like cheap 26" wheels are non-existent, and I'm not ready to custom build a wheel set for my 20 year old carbon fiber loaner, lol.

    Hope this does someone some good.

    FREE SHIP 48 STATES* MTB Wheelset PROMO SALE Vuelta ZeroLite Comp Aluminum Wheelset, Alloy Hub MTB Disc Brake Wheelsets
    Iíve had good luck with these wheels on my beater and training bikes. The first set was a Pro Special Edition, and it came with cheap Shimano hubs (the regular Pros have Vuelta hubs with cartridge bearings). The second set was the Comp with Vuelta-made ďsealed bearingĒ (cup and cone Shimano knockoff) hubs. I could definitely feel a difference when I spun the wheels in my hand, but there was no detectable difference when riding.

    These wheels are not light at 2200g for the pair, but they are surprisingly sturdy for 24-spoke wheels. I did all sorts of stupid stuff with them, like big drops onto concrete and riding down stairs, and the Vueltas stayed strait and true (better than the Easton EA70 XCT wheels I replaced them with, but over a pound heavier). They ride smooth, the weight does help reduce vibration over washboard surfaces.

    There is a version of the Comps with Shimano hubs on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EA84M2..._HTwUAb47T3WKK

    Iím glad I learned to build wheels, the ones Iíve built have been better than any factory-built wheels Iíve bought (both machine and handmade).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    119
    I ordered a pair of the v-brake only "Vuelta ZeroLite" wheels for my son's HardRock from Nashbar. They are heavy but probably no heavier than the wheels they replaced. They've held up for the past couple of years. I have no complaints given the cost.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    acetone, the dissolve of all that is god awful.
    actually the stickers came right off for me. just grab a corner and pull. I have a set they are rim brake. not bad for the money. however I did have to adjust the axle on the rear. it was really really tight.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,573
    Quality 26" wheel sets for dirt cheap are still out there.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stans-Arch-...4383.l4275.c10

  11. #11
    Hardtail Steel Forever
    Reputation: jestep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Quality 26" wheel sets for dirt cheap are still out there.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stans-Arch-...4383.l4275.c10
    Or these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-DT-Swiss...wAAOSwFGNWTO2o
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Lots of smoking deals out there on quality 26" wheels.

    I personally wouldn't trust any non name brand hubs/rims unless I knew that company made parts for trusted brands. There's too much walmart grade crap out there to gamble when you can have the QC that comes with name brands for not much more. Any rear hub below the doere level is rising walking out and having to buy another hub so how much did you really save?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    actually the stickers came right off for me. just grab a corner and pull. I have a set they are rim brake. not bad for the money. however I did have to adjust the axle on the rear. it was really really tight.
    yep the cones are almost always overtight on cheap things.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Quality 26" wheel sets for dirt cheap are still out there.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stans-Arch-...4383.l4275.c10
    Thanks for the link. I guess I didn't want to pay 200+ shipped to re-hoof my 20 year old steed that I loan out to friends and family. $90 shipped is what it needed.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Lots of smoking deals out there on quality 26" wheels.

    I personally wouldn't trust any non name brand hubs/rims unless I knew that company made parts for trusted brands. There's too much walmart grade crap out there to gamble when you can have the QC that comes with name brands for not much more. Any rear hub below the doere level is rising walking out and having to buy another hub so how much did you really save?
    Vuelta is a name brand. They are Italian, and have been making bicycle parts for a very long time. They do make low-end wheels, but not the super cheap stuff you see in Walmart. They also make mid-range road wheels, just nothing very nice for MTB.

    The Shimano hubs in my Vuelta Zerolite Pro SE appear identical to Deore hubs, and might be.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by banjor View Post
    Vuelta is a name brand. They are Italian, and have been making bicycle parts for a very long time. They do make low-end wheels, but not the super cheap stuff you see in Walmart. They also make mid-range road wheels, just nothing very nice for MTB.

    The Shimano hubs in my Vuelta Zerolite Pro SE appear identical to Deore hubs, and might be.
    I see. I've never heard of them.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    Thanks for the link. I guess I didn't want to pay 200+ shipped to re-hoof my 20 year old steed that I loan out to friends and family. $90 shipped is what it needed.
    Understand. As long as the rear hub does't leave a friend walking out it's a smoking deal.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,242
    The XT E540 on eBay for $130 is an excellent wheel for pennies.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    The XT E540 on eBay for $130 is an excellent wheel for pennies.
    you mean $165 shipped . and there's this little tidbit "Because it is not purchased through our website, the standard Bicycle Wheel Warehouse warranty DOES NOT apply. These wheels are sold AS-IS. This wheel set was a canceled custom, they are brand new." Funny thing is they're selling them in bulk, so the whole "canceled custom" doesn't pass the smell test. As a business person, I'd never order a customer a "custom" anything without cash up front. Either way, the retailer has a good rep and i'll look at their inventory next time.

    Yes, the BD hubs were crazy tight, I have to loosen the cones big time before a ride. In hindsight, I'd have spent a little more money (MAYBE) but it's all good because the 26" is a loaner bike now.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    712
    Not sure how you guys would like this wheelset, but I just bought it from Amazon.com for around $160:

    WHL PR 26x1.5 559x24 DT X430 BK 28 OR8 MT2100 8/9sp 6B SEAL BK 135mm DT2.0BK
    Sold by: Niagara Cycle Works

    I liked them because each wheel is roughly 2 lbs (I think 1.85 front 2.25 rear), they are 24mm internal width so they can hold larger standard tire sizes such as 2.4 or 2.5, and I'll try + tires on them and see how they feel. No need to spend $500 or more on a + wheelset IMO. I don't care as much about cornering performance as climbing and traction (and + tires have more rollover height compared with standards and that's a huge +, no pun intended, for 26 tires). Last but not least these are sealed bearings; Wheelmaster had some WTB 559x23mm wheelsets on sale for $115 but they were cone and cup, and I do not want to deal with the maintenance on that kind of stuff. I'll let you know how they do with + tires.
    ABSU: Arrogantly executing mythological occult metal since 1991.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jupiter58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    155
    That brand of hub would scare me off how about this? a reputable brand from a store in Utah that I trust. Wheel Master Wheelset 26X1.5 Mav Xm119 Disc Black 32 M525 | Wheelsets | Wheels | Components | Bikewagon.com look around the net, no need to deal with dodgy dealers....right? https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...-yw-vsl26-base

Similar Threads

  1. SRAM High Direct mount and Mid Direct Mount compatibility
    By dekaru in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM
  2. 20" disc ready wheels?
    By jewels in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 03:46 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2015, 10:03 PM
  4. Please delete. Wrong forum
    By Tavm in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 09:05 PM
  5. direct mount chain guide??? to replace direct mount der
    By TwoNin9r in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 05:36 AM

Members who have read this thread: 108

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.