Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member

Waltworks Ultimate Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Did you look at the tool that';s magnetic and fits into the crank? Just curious, think the OneUp tool is very cool and great design, but if you're going to add weight to a bike, the lower the better IMHO.

And yes, have to agree with Nitros on the colour

Also think the black ring looks better, the gold just stood out too much compared to the rest of the orange. Post some closeups of it and your clearance. Also you must need to place a For Sale ad for all the stuff you've tried on Payton that didn't work out
    I did look at the Anything Tool (I think it's called) (nope All In Multitool) but one, it doesn't fit in RF cranks and two, I've seen them rust within a couple of rides so on that basis I'm out.

I'll take some close ups over the weekend and yes you're right I really should put some of this stuff up for sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Did you look at the tool that';s magnetic and fits into the crank? Just curious, think the OneUp tool is very cool and great design, but if you're going to add weight to a bike, the lower the better IMHO.

And yes, have to agree with Nitros on the colour

Also think the black ring looks better, the gold just stood out too much compared to the rest of the orange. Post some closeups of it and your clearance. Also you must need to place a For Sale ad for all the stuff you've tried on Payton that didn't work out
    What's this magnetic tool holder that fits in the cranks you speak of? Sounds interesting.

Edit: Never mind, found it: https://www.allinmultitool.co.uk/

I like it! Agreed that's a better place to store tools, down low. Pricey though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    What's this magnetic tool holder that fits in the cranks you speak of? Sounds interesting.
    https://www.allinmultitool.co.uk/

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    The OneUp idea is good but I am afraid that the fork warranty will be voided. I have asked OneUp about this in Facebook but never got any reply.
    If these threads void the fork warranty, installing a star nut should void it too.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    The OneUp idea is good but I am afraid that the fork warranty will be voided. I have asked OneUp about this in Facebook but never got any reply.
    The way I look at it is you get a one year warranty on a Fox fork, 2 if you're in the EU (I'm not sure if we, in the UK are in the EU or not to be honest?! ) and I've had my 34 a year next month. I doubt even Fox are at all bothered if you cut a 5mm thread in your steerer or not. It's a non issue if you see how neat their cutting tool performs the task.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post

Edit: Never mind, found it: https://www.allinmultitool.co.uk/

I like it! Agreed that's a better place to store tools, down low. Pricey though.
    And it rusts with the slightest bit of moisture, which tends to gather down there.

The other on bike tool kit I considered apart from my Syncros bottle cage was the Industry 9 thru-axle but they are mega bucks and don't offer as many tools and options as the One Up.

mtbr member
    Just for LyNx, as I was pumping tyres up and getting her ready for the weekend...

There's definitely more room with the 30T ring compared he the 32 and I'm also able to run the BB further back to achieve a shorter chainstay as it was always designed to run a 30T. I might lose a little too end but I've been running Eagle with a 30T ring on my Pivot as standard and it feels great everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Got my first ride in yesterday and the first proper ride on the new wheel and tyre setup most importantly. It has been raining a lot lately and there is a lot of puddles and mud again but thankfully the Minion DHF seemed unphased, giving the front end the extra confidence that may have been lacking a little with the Chups. I definitely didn't feel a difference in weight, probably thanks to the carbon rims.

The wheels feel awesome, so keen to spin up to speed and as I've been able to drop the psi a little (currently 15r/14f) there is some added traction there too. They feel a lot stiffer than my Arc wheels, the only downside is that the bike may feel a little harsher now, but I'm sure I have the option to lower the pressures in the tyres again, so I'm happy with that. Very happy with this wheelset.

The new One Up Switch chainring system seems great, I think the clocking must be slightly different than the Absolute black as I think it works better, more traction, smoother pedalling etc. These things are hard to quantify though and it could be that I've been riding my Pivot more lately that doesn't have an oval ring yet.

I realised on my ride when I was thinking about this thread that I didn't post a picture of the ring fully clocked near the yoke, I'll sort that later, but I'm happy to report that there is no interference, the clearance is there and working how it should.

The 30T ring probably feels a whole lot better for climbing on this setup too. I had more energy and felt I was in the right gear more of the time. I suppose, in theory it would be nice to take advantage fully of Eagle's extra range and run a bigger ring, but that's all well and good on a lightweight carbon xc bike but in the real world a 30/32T ring gives huge benefits.

As it stands, I can look at this bike and say that I wouldn't change a thing.

mtbr member
    Small wheels back on at the moment and I'm actually enjoying their urgency and feel in the dry weather we've had recently. Just changing things around a little for the sake of it.

I'm not running the chain stay in its shortest setting, mainly because I can't due to the size of the Hope 4 pot callipers. It seems ok for it though as the shortest setting was never my favourite to be honest.

Going to keep the bike like this for a while, then try lighter 29" tyres on my LB 30's before reverting back to the default 29 plus.

mtbr member
    It's all gone a bit quiet on here recently and I've been getting my money's worth out of my Pivot recently. But I have really missed my Waltworks, there's something to be said about a bike made to fit you and I immediately feel comfortable on board her so it was her turn this weekend for a few hours out and about in the North York Moors and surrounding forest of Guisborough.

I've been riding the 27.5x2.6 setup recently around my home, just out with the kids and razzing about. I've enjoyed the wheels this time round so I decided to give them a fair chance and use them for a few weeks.

On this mornings ride I've enjoyed their lightweight and flicking the bike around some pretty technical forest trails. I definitely feel more jarred about on the rocks and roots though and they're not as quick as the 29plus setup. But we all know that already.

Over the past 12 months Payton and I have really become an extension of each other, like I mentioned in regard to the fit, this really makes a difference. I've ridden things I never though I'd be able to on this bike. In fact, his morning I ticked one of my biggest demons off the list of unchartered territory. A local shoot called Red Run, that's not very long but I talked myself from trying it about 27 years ago and have never been able to exercise those demons since, I always felt that it was too exposed and steep, although, like often is the case, I was proved wrong when trying it for myself! To say I whooped and smiled at the bottom was an understatement!

Anyway, I enjoyed taking Payton out further afield for the first time in a few weeks, she felt great and I've enjoyed giving the smallest wheel setup I'm interested in trying on this bike, their fair crack of the whip.

Trying the new Limited Edition Catalyst Pedals from Pedalling Innovations out against the purple hills of Heather.

Found a rather idyllic waterfall and future paddling spot!

The red dirt tells and story of bravery, stoke and gnar!

MTB B'dos
    Glad to see you're giving your "gal" some quality time, know exactly what you mean about when something fits/is setup perfectly for you, fell quite the same about my rigid, even with the lack of squish, so dialed right now. Made the mistake of installing a Haven 35mm clamp bar/stem on it the other day and even just on a tame ride, everywhere is still feeling tight/locked up from the beating it gave me, now going to give an old 25.4 bar a go and see how that feels.

So who are you going to sell those wheels/tyres to now you've determined, yet again, that B+ just doesn't touch 29+

Get those purple monstrosities off Payton right now!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Glad to see you're giving your "gal" some quality time, know exactly what you mean about when something fits/is setup perfectly for you, fell quite the same about my rigid, even with the lack of squish, so dialed right now. Made the mistake of installing a Haven 35mm clamp bar/stem on it the other day and even just on a tame ride, everywhere is still feeling tight/locked up from the beating it gave me, now going to give an old 25.4 bar a go and see how that feels.

So who are you going to sell those wheels/tyres to now you've determined, yet again, that B+ just doesn't touch 29+

Get those purple monstrosities off Payton right now!
    Ha ha I can always trust your opinion to guide me down the right road LyNx!

I actually had a conversation about "just selling" the wheels I don't need. I've got 5 wheelsets now and realistically only 2 are going to get a look in until I decide to "f" around with things again!

I'm betting your old 25.4mm bar will go a long way in regards to not beating you up. A lot of the modern stuff is far too stiff for hardtails, I love my Thomson, seems to have just the right amount of give whilst still being able to cope with my weight bouncing up and down on it!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I heard J has a number sticker that reads "Have you hugged your bike today"

J, Peyton's lookin good. Orange components are poppin, indeed! And those locations... Great adventures to be had.
    You are very fortunate in having that kind of riding at your disposal. Doesn't get better than that!

2.6? Um, that's going the wrong way, lol. Every time I have tried smaller tires on the Wildcat or Sarge, I just can't
    wait to return to 3.0.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    I heard J has a number sticker that reads "Have you hugged your bike today"

J, Peyton's lookin good. Orange components are poppin, indeed! And those locations... Great adventures to be had.
    You are very fortunate in having that kind of riding at your disposal. Doesn't get better than that!

2.6? Um, that's going the wrong way, lol. Every time I have tried smaller tires on the Wildcat or Sarge, I just can't
    wait to return to 3.0.
    Everyone should hug their bike at least once a day, shouldn't they?!

Thanks Banshee, yeah we're lucky to have a lot of varied riding around here BUT we also have crappy weather so it kind of evens things out! LOL. Hang on a cotton pickin' minute, you live in Colorado, you really can't get better than that can you?!!

Yes I know, 2.6 is just wrong on this bike but it also feels kind of good too, I'm such a bad boy, I know!! I might try some skinny xc tyres next week... Before the inevitable...

mtbr member
    Made the mistake of installing a Haven 35mm clamp bar/stem on it the other day and even just on a tame ride, everywhere is still feeling tight/locked up from the beating it gave me, now going to give an old 25.4 bar a go and see how that feels.

I had the 25.4 epiphany about 10 yrs. ago with my first rigid 29er. Still have/ride that bike but would like to upgrade to something a little wider than its current 650mm bars. Any Idea where you can get wider 25.4 bars?
    Mole

MTB B'dos
    Problem is, it's not an "old" 25.4 bar, I actually bought it a few years ago because it was on sale to test how flexy it was compared to the 31.8 bars I've been riding since '05 and I found out, that once you buy a good bar, a 25.4 can actually be quite stiff. I've been riding FUNN bars going on 6 years and the 25.4 is also by them, so fairly fare comparison and quite surprising, but that was on FS, wondering if going on the rigid it'll feel a lot different - expecting compared to the 35 clamp FR oriented Havoc bar, that it should, but we'll see. Personally don't like flexy bars, but something that maybe absorbs the impacts a bit and offers some dampening would be nice, something Ti I expect would do that, but they're damn pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I'm betting your old 25.4mm bar will go a long way in regards to not beating you up. A lot of the modern stuff is far too stiff for hardtails, I love my Thomson, seems to have just the right amount of give whilst still being able to cope with my weight bouncing up and down on it!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    *hugs bike*

And all this time, I thought is was all about the fat!

And no, there's nuttin like riding in Colorado!

Had to pull your chain on the 2.6 front. Damn tire makers are so damn horny over 2.6... :/ Sarge is not impressed
    I'ma ordering a pair of Wrathchild 3.0's to give a try. Should be rather nice with a deep lug tire that's lighter than a 4.8!!
    Keeping the +bikes svelte is challenging enough without 12 ply tires...
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I had the 25.4 epiphany about 10 yrs. ago with my first rigid 29er. Still have/ride that bike but would like to upgrade to something a little wider than its current 650mm bars. Any Idea where you can get wider 25.4 bars?
    Mole
    31.8x700/800 are very compliant. Those 650's are perfect for riding in handcuffs tho'
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Problem is, it's not an "old" 25.4 bar, I actually bought it a few years ago because it was on sale to test how flexy it was compared to the 31.8 bars I've been riding since '05 and I found out, that once you buy a good bar, a 25.4 can actually be quite stiff. I've been riding FUNN bars going on 6 years and the 25.4 is also by them, so fairly fare comparison and quite surprising, but that was on FS, wondering if going on the rigid it'll feel a lot different - expecting compared to the 35 clamp FR oriented Havoc bar, that it should, but we'll see. Personally don't like flexy bars, but something that maybe absorbs the impacts a bit and offers some dampening would be nice, something Ti I expect would do that, but they're damn pricey.
    I remember some people complain about 35 Raceface Sixc bars being too stiff, I kind of agree too which is why I swapped mine on my previous main bike to a Next SL which seemed like a good compromise and was a very comfortable bar. Not too expensive compared to Ti 31.8's either.

mtbr member
    *hugs bike*

And all this time, I thought is was all about the fat!

And no, there's nuttin like riding in Colorado!

Had to pull your chain on the 2.6 front. Damn tire makers are so damn horny over 2.6... :/ Sarge is not impressed
    I'ma ordering a pair of Wrathchild 3.0's to give a try. Should be rather nice with a deep lug tire that's lighter than a 4.8!!
    Keeping the +bikes svelte is challenging enough without 12 ply tires...
    LOL I don't mind you pulling my chain, I'm used to LyNx for that!

Damn I'd love to ride in Colorado or Barbados or Canada or anywhere else hot and sunny right now. If you could see out of my window, you'd know why! We should do a time share thing, you could all improve your wet weather riding skills and I could sample some dust and get a tan!!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    We can send you to Seattle and you would think you're at home!! lulz

The first 2 weeks of the year, I was in Arizona. Was the riding and temp perfect, you betcha! Had a great time antagonizing those 2.fugettabouddit tire bikers with the Mayor and Sarge. Sure was a good thing I brought both bikes along. Enjoyed the arroyos with the mayor on those voluptuous 4.8's.
    Sarge was a blast on the rocky techy singletrack too.

Perhaps you can take a nice long holiday and bring Peyton along for some serious adventures in your travels. (Bucket list)

Peyton looks to be an awesome bike with great performance for anything you find along the way. Wouldn't mind getting Walt to fab something, cause he's an artisan.
    Doctor recommended...

MTB B'dos
    Well my 25.4, as I said is by FUNN and it's a 750mm wide, low rise, hence why I bought it, as was the widest 25.4 low rise I'd seen available. Got it from CRC, not sure if you can still find them around, but it's a very nice bar, but a smidge too narrow for me now, prefer 785-800, but it'll do if it is indeed a more complaint feel. Checked CRC and Jenson and only found 2 real options on there, not sure if either will work for you. but fairly certain you should be able to find a few more if you search about.
    Spank Tweet Tweet Handlebars | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Soma Osprey Bar > Components > Handlebars > Mountain Bars | Jenson USA

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Mole

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    FUNN is a DH/FR oriented company so yeah, stiff bars from them sounds right.
    Really like my Loaded AMX bars for the angles and width.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    We can send you to Seattle and you would think you're at home!! lulz

The first 2 weeks of the year, I was in Arizona. Was the riding and temp perfect, you betcha! Had a great time antagonizing those 2.fugettabouddit tire bikers with the Mayor and Sarge. Sure was a good thing I brought both bikes along. Enjoyed the arroyos with the mayor on those voluptuous 4.8's.
    Sarge was a blast on the rocky techy singletrack too.

Perhaps you can take a nice long holiday and bring Peyton along for some serious adventures in your travels. (Bucket list)

Peyton looks to be an awesome bike with great performance for anything you find along the way. Wouldn't mind getting Walt to fab something, cause he's an artisan.
    Sounds ideal to me, I'd love to, the better half might have something to say about me disappearing though!

I can definitely recommend you speak to Walt, when our exchange rate stabilises (hopefully well before 2,3,4 years after Brexit?!?!) I'd like him to make me a full sus. I had planned to get it done this year but then I bought the Switchblade (from Arizona!) so that will have to wait. You're right though Payton is definitely a bike ready for all, I always feel confident going into the unknown when I'm riding her, especially with the Big BIG wheels on there!

I've just come back inside having had a word (and a hug) with her and she wants me to stop messing around and settle on the big rubber. I told her I'll always play around but I'll always go back to her big ass tyres. She didn't seem to mind. LOL

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The Wildcat's hanging out with the remote looking for a channel with Redbull Rampage coverage. He's kinda pissed cause we don't have a 4k TV yet. :/

I need to sit down and design a frame and get the details sorted. Yay, Solidworks...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Well my 25.4, as I said is by FUNN and it's a 750mm wide, low rise, hence why I bought it, as was the widest 25.4 low rise I'd seen available. Got it from CRC, not sure if you can still find them around, but it's a very nice bar, but a smidge too narrow for me now, prefer 785-800, but it'll do if it is indeed a more complaint feel. Checked CRC and Jenson and only found 2 real options on there, not sure if either will work for you. but fairly certain you should be able to find a few more if you search about.
    Spank Tweet Tweet Handlebars | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Soma Osprey Bar > Components > Handlebars > Mountain Bars | Jenson USA
    Thanks for the links. I checked the FUNN website too but nothing smaller than 31.8 listed. CRC actually had a different bar that I'm considering (Better color match to the bike, lighter, wider, and of course a little more expensive). If I don't find something better I'll give that one a try.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Yes I know, 2.6 is just wrong on this bike but it also feels kind of good too, I'm such a bad boy, I know!! I might try some skinny xc tyres next week... Before the inevitable...
    Have you decide what tires you are going with? I need something around 2.6" (29) to go with the 29 id wheelset I just ordered for my FS waltworks (I ended up going for the EIE wheels with purple hubs from the other thread). I'm thinking about the nobby nic addix speed grip, but I tried to order some from bike-discount.de and the order won't go through, so i'm taking that as a sign to rethink it. So far I've only tried chupas on 40 id rims and looking for something a little faster and possibly more responsive, although I am liking the chupas well enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangly1 View Post
    Have you decide what tires you are going with? I need something around 2.6" (29) to go with the 29 id wheelset I just ordered for my FS waltworks (I ended up going for the EIE wheels with purple hubs from the other thread). I'm thinking about the nobby nic addix speed grip, but I tried to order some from bike-discount.de and the order won't go through, so i'm taking that as a sign to rethink it. So far I've only tried chupas on 40 id rims and looking for something a little faster and possibly more responsive, although I am liking the chupas well enough.
    My favourite setup on this bike hasn't changed, it's the Chupacabras on 40mm internal Light Bicycle rims. The Maxxis DHF 3.0 is also a LOT of fun up front with a Chup on the back.

I like swapping things around though as each and every wheelset and tyre option I have make the bike feel different. None of them feel bad, all of them feel as good as I've tried on other bikes. It's the bike and not the tyres a lot of the time. That's why I chop and change. Just for variety. For instance, yesterday on the 27.5x2.6 setup the bike felt like a little dual slalom bike through the trees, but the small wheels beat me up on rocks, roots and singletrack.

I really like the wider trail tyres such as the Nobby Nic and Rocket Ron 2.6's and Maxxis 2.4 WT DHR and 2.5 WT DHF's (despite me not really being a Maxxis fan in the past). As soon as the Rekon 2.6's are readily available I'll be running them too. I can see things settling out and this being the new normal in terms of tyre size. 29" being optimum to all of this as they have the roll over 27.5" can't come close to.

On your bike, I'd go for Rekon 29x2.6", if you don't think Chups are fast enough, 30-35mm rims. But for all out, balls to the wall speed and fun also build a 3.0 Chup/DHF wheelset with 35-40mm rims, when things allow.

Hope this helps?

mtbr member
    In fact, adding to this and thinking about not having to have multiple wheelsets hanging about (literally!), get yourself a nice, Carbon wheelset with 35-38mm internal rims. This way you can optimally run wide trail or plus tyres with abandon, that's what I'd do with your bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    That is very helpful. As far as the tires go, I guess I will keep my eye on the rekons to see when they become available, unless you know any more details.

Except for shipping delay., it would be a good time to switch out my 40 id wheels to the LB rims since I am waiting on a replacement rim for the cracked scraper, but I will have to see about that. Ultimately I am planning to use the 29 id wheels for the more flowy trails and the 40 id/chupas for chunky stuff. In the back of my mind there is also the possibility of a dirt drop monster cross/super comfortable road bike in a few years that I might be able to use the new wheels on if 157 rear ends take over or I get back in Walt's queue.

MTB B'dos
    Curious what your experience with PLUS bikes is, have/did you ride a few before you decided on your soon to be bike, did you try an FS plus bike? Think that Js advice is sound, 38mm IW rims would work excellent for either 2.6" or 3" tyres. The 2.6" would obviously have more sidewall support and rail corners like velcro and make the bike more nimble IMHO and with the 3.0", you'd have a bit less sidewall support, but still plenty. FYI, I run my DHF 3.0" on a Dually45 which has an IW of 39mm and I think it's perfect on that. Agree on tyres, DH front for ultimate grip and Rekons for a good middle of the road grip and rolling resistance.
    That is very helpful. As far as the tires go, I guess I will keep my eye on the rekons to see when they become available, unless you know any more details.

Except for shipping delay., it would be a good time to switch out my 40 id wheels to the LB rims since I am waiting on a replacement rim for the cracked scraper, but I will have to see about that. Ultimately I am planning to use the 29 id wheels for the more flowy trails and the 40 id/chupas for chunky stuff. In the back of my mind there is also the possibility of a dirt drop monster cross/super comfortable road bike in a few years that I might be able to use the new wheels on if 157 rear ends take over or I get back in Walt's queue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks! I have had the bike for about five months and it is going really well except for the rim issues. I did ride some HT plus bikes in bike shop parking lots, but the shops in my area are somewhat limited and do not do demos or rentals. I am still the only local rider I have seen with a plus bike. Also,I would need an XXL-XXXL and could not test anything other than an entry level rockhopper in that approximate size. So, I was making somewhat of a leap. I did get the ebb and rockers so that I could be flexible on the wheel and tire sizes. Your description of the 2.6 makes it seem worth a try. I am definitely going to keep an eye out for the rekons when they come out with the 29x2.6.

mtbr member

I had forgotten that you went for the 157 rear end, that's so cool too! I had been speaking to Walt about utilising the 157 Superboost like what Pivot launched on the Switchblade and figured that's the way I'd go if and when I get Walt to put a FS together for me.

mtbr member
    Here's an interesting setup I've not tried before.

30mm internal LB Wheelset
    2.25 Rocket Ron rear/2.30 Bontrager XR4 Team Issue
    Under 27lbs without pedals.

This is the XC setup and it feels good, nice and spritely, playful and sure footed.

Here's the bike on my commute this morning, I don't usually ride a MTB to work as it's 10 miles each way on mixed surfaces but I thought I'd give her a go today and she still passes roadies so I was happy until I got a puncture! LOL.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567