Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,045 of 1045
    mtbr member
    Thanks Vik!

I will explore the Mudhugger, thanks. I see you and Travis are big fans over on the Knolly forum!

mtbr member
    Yes for sure. Vancouver Island winters are moist. Not getting spray from the rear wheel on your body [as much] or on the dropper/rear shock is super nice. I wouldn't ride in the winter without one.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Looks like a great plan J.

Are you going to keep this thread going or start a new one for the new bike?

Hard to imagine I can manage at all with the HTA at 70 degrees on my Carver Gnarvester. It may be a tad slacker as I've got a 120mm fork on there, but still.

I'll have to demo one of these new-fangled slack-long-low bikes... Someday.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Looks like a great plan J.

Are you going to keep this thread going or start a new one for the new bike?

Hard to imagine I can manage at all with the HTA at 70 degrees on my Carver Gnarvester. It may be a tad slacker as I've got a 120mm fork on there, but still.

I'll have to demo one of these new-fangled slack-long-low bikes... Someday.
    Ha ha its hard to imagine how we ever managed back in the 90s on fully rigid, rim braked, slightly better than road bikes?!! As long as youre enjoying yourself it doesnt matter what the numbers say!

Im going to keep this thread going for as long as people are interested in hearing about the new bike too. It tells a story I guess.

MTB B'dos
    Hum. Well you know me, I've bene on this "journey" since it started, and we've discussed riding likes/habits a bit so I'll stick with that and give me feedback.

Honestly for the type of riding you like to do, not sure I'd slack it out the full 2 degrees, I'd go 1.5* to 67* at that A2C, 513mm is not too long, think about a sagged 130mm travel fork.
    I'd also not make that complete 2 degree STA jump and go to 73.5* and/or order yourself a 9point8 FallLine with offset head and straight head.
    I'd also make the 425mm CS length for when the stays are slammed forward, because for 29+, that's pretty damn short and on longer days in the saddle with lots of climbing, you might enjoy the help longer stays will give.

I think the planned changes will bias it too far towards the descending side of trail riding and make you have to compromise on other aspects on long rides with lots of varying terrain, not just straight up or down Just some thoughts of mine after following this thread and chatting, glad to hear that things are moving forward finally.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hum. Well you know me, I've bene on this "journey" since it started, and we've discussed riding likes/habits a bit so I'll stick with that and give me feedback.

Honestly for the type of riding you like to do, not sure I'd slack it out the full 2 degrees, I'd go 1.5* to 67* at that A2C, 513mm is not too long, think about a sagged 130mm travel fork.
    I'd also not make that complete 2 degree STA jump and go to 73.5* and/or order yourself a 9point8 FallLine with offset head and straight head.
    I'd also make the 425mm CS length for when the stays are slammed forward, because for 29+, that's pretty damn short and on longer days in the saddle with lots of climbing, you might enjoy the help longer stays will give.

I think the planned changes will bias it too far towards the descending side of trail riding and make you have to compromise on other aspects on long rides with lots of varying terrain, not just straight up or down Just some thoughts of mine after following this thread and chatting, glad to hear that things are moving forward finally.
    I appreciate your input as ever LyNx BUT... LOL

I have always gelled with steeper seat angles over slack, its one of the things I would have changed about UW1 and as Walt says, I dont think this is too much of a change. 76 would have been but 74.1 should be fine.

The 425mm chainstay mimics where UW1 sat 99% of the time even with smaller wheels and tyres. Its a great balance. Im not using rockers on this bike but I knew I wanted 425.

The head angle will balance out with the increased reach and steeper seat angle. It does seem like the most extreme move to me but not out there by any stretch. We may tighten it up slightly as we might spec a 44mm offset 34 on the bike yet. Thats to be decided in the coming days.

I do appreciate what you say though, the UW is all about being an all rounder. The ultimate tool for the job. Thats MASSIVELY important to me because I like to use it everywhere and favour it over a full suspension bike. In fact Im currently about to boycott carbon and see if I can manage without a FS in my garage again too. So being an all rounder is as important as ever right now...

WNC Native
    UW2 is gonna be a ripper!!!

Im thinking youre going to love this one even more.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    UW2 is gonna be a ripper!!!

Im thinking youre going to love this one even more.
    I'm with NJ -- UW2 is gonna rip!

J, you know what you're doing and you don't need any back seat know-it-alls trying to undermine your own solid decisions for YOUR bike. That's nothing you solicited. You & Walt have unquestionably nailed the design; I hope you've already given Walt the green light to proceed -- now, while you wait, prepare to fall in love all over again.

I can hardly wait to see photos of the final product.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Looks like UW2 is gonna be a blast...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, the way I see it is its still exhibiting progressive geometry but theres nothing extreme there.

If you look at new bikes from the likes of Cotic with their SodaMax, Chromags Surface and especially the Pipedream Moxie they are much longer and a little slacker.

I think with a custom bike like this, youve got to reign certain aspects back without creating a monster and I think these numbers represent a good balance. I originally wanted a 67-68 head angle, but Walt suggested going a little slacker given the other geometry traits were going for. I was also going to go A LOT longer with a 1.5 steeper seat tube, but Walt reigned me in on that front.

mtbr member
    Just looking at the numbers, it looks to be a riot. Im certain youll have a blast on it, especially where youve had the chance to fine tune everything with UW1.0...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

MTB B'dos
    Well, you know me, I'll always give you what you pay for

But seriously, that's the important part to me from all your reports is that you keep the all around ability of the bike, as that's what you want from it, from long days across the moors with hardly anything you'd call a DH to days with lots of climbing and proper descending.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the changes once you get it and get in a few rides. I know that while I liked the Unit setup B+/29+ and external lower cup, which gave me a roughly 66.2* HTA for descending, on the more flat, tight flowy stuff, it definitely made me have to concentrate more and work harder to keep from pushing through the corners.

The one thing I guess I keep forgetting is you run a sus fork and so your HTA will steepen up, whereas I run rigid, so my numbers don't change during the ride, always keep forgetting that as I picture the UW as a rigid

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I appreciate your input as ever LyNx BUT... ..............I do appreciate what you say though, the UW is all about being an all rounder. The ultimate tool for the job. Thats MASSIVELY important to me because I like to use it everywhere and favour it over a full suspension bike. In fact Im currently about to boycott carbon and see if I can manage without a FS in my garage again too. So being an all rounder is as important as ever right now...

mtbr member
    Well, you know me, I'll always give you what you pay for

But seriously, that's the important part to me from all your reports is that you keep the all around ability of the bike, as that's what you want from it, from long days across the moors with hardly anything you'd call a DH to days with lots of climbing and proper descending.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the changes once you get it and get in a few rides. I know that while I liked the Unit setup B+/29+ and external lower cup, which gave me a roughly 66.2* HTA for descending, on the more flat, tight flowy stuff, it definitely made me have to concentrate more and work harder to keep from pushing through the corners.

The one thing I guess I keep forgetting is you run a sus fork and so your HTA will steepen up, whereas I run rigid, so my numbers don't change during the ride, always keep forgetting that as I picture the UW as a rigid
    Yep you definitely give more than I bargained/asked for! Ha ha :P

You are correct though, you've summed up exactly what I want from these bikes, but I really think this is the way forward, we've gone steeper in the ST which is only going to help with these things, the UW1 was really slack and sometimes was a bit of a handful on steeper climbs, I had to weight the front down consciously and much more than I would on any of my more recent bikes. This and the longer reach (it's still not that long if you compare with other modern bikes) will help with that. The slacker head tube will work well with the new geometry, as I say we still might steepen it slightly to 67 and yes, you're right, the bike will be suspended. I'm going to save my rigid fork for Payton when and if she comes back to me then your picture would be correct, as long as that picture also includes a singlespeed setup!?...

mtbr member
    Here you go LyNx, just for you. Itll probably ride like a POS now!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The UW2 is the right decision. imho.
    But before you put your order you should demo a bike with the planned steep STA like the Commencal Meta HT. I could not ride this kind of Geo...

mtbr member
    Can we call the new frame MUW: More-Ultimater Warrior?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I think we're going to have to now!!

MTB B'dos
    Here you go LyNx, just for you. Itll probably ride like a POS now!!

Listen man, give an old guy a break, always thinking around a rigid with a max 490 A2C rigid fork, so basically nothing more than a 120mm sus fork, more likely a 100mm If I did think about or was considering a sus fork, it's just be to take the edge off ever so slightly and to have control over the rebound of the plus tyres, heck if I could find a proper, working HeadShok, that'd work for me to help control the un-damped rebound of those 3" balloons. Also, hate having my HTA be able to change by as much as 5 degrees, not generally a problem with rigid or full sus.

No matter all my thoughts, when all's said and done it's your bike, you rode the V1 for a year and would have figured out just what was working and what wasn't, so don't go changing anything for me - I'd be inclined to use all the numbers you and Walt first came up with, but based around a 500mm A2C fork

BTW, assuming that the fork A2C is sagged and representative of a 140mm travel fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Hahahaha! Gnarlier and rope shake-ier than ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation View Post
    Hahahaha! Gnarlier and rope shake-ier than ever.

That. Is. Awesome. The official GIF of this thread right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by quite.right View Post
    The UW2 is the right decision. imho.
    But before you put your order you should demo a bike with the planned steep STA like the Commencal Meta HT. I could not ride this kind of Geo...

I agree with this. I bought a bike with a steeper STA, even with a layback seatpost I feel cannot get my knees ideal over the pedals in a comfortable spot. Just to much forward over pedals for me, and I cannot go to longer cranks with low bottom bracket, would pedal strike like crazy. I guess will depend on your leg measurements if works for you.

mtbr member
    I would agree. I don't like steep STAs. I can't pedal efficiently on flat terrain with them. So I am forced to use setback droppers on "modern" geo bikes.

That said the last drawing posted of the MUW showed a STA of ~74 deg at ride height. That's not super steep and with a setback post that could be a 73 deg STA or the saddle could be slide fwd to make it steeper. So JJ would have a pretty reasonable range of adjustment as long as he is not stuck on a very specific stem length/bar sweep.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    All very interesting comments thanks guys although I think the steeper STA will work for me, remember Im using Pedaling Innovations Catalyst Pedals that encourage a mid foot position so my feet naturally want to be further forward. I really do think this will work I my favour but as Vikb says, the MUW/UW2 isnt going to be crazy steep not like say something such as the Pipedream Moxie which is 76.

mtbr member

Waltworks Ultimate Warrior

Listen man, give an old guy a break, always thinking around a rigid with a max 490 A2C rigid fork, so basically nothing more than a 120mm sus fork, more likely a 100mm If I did think about or was considering a sus fork, it's just be to take the edge off ever so slightly and to have control over the rebound of the plus tyres, heck if I could find a proper, working HeadShok, that'd work for me to help control the un-damped rebound of those 3" balloons. Also, hate having my HTA be able to change by as much as 5 degrees, not generally a problem with rigid or full sus.

No matter all my thoughts, when all's said and done it's your bike, you rode the V1 for a year and would have figured out just what was working and what wasn't, so don't go changing anything for me - I'd be inclined to use all the numbers you and Walt first came up with, but based around a 500mm A2C fork

BTW, assuming that the fork A2C is sagged and representative of a 140mm travel fork
    Aww LyNx sorry man, I dont like to mock the aged one bit, but youre so stuck in your ways you make it hard not to sometimes!!

The A2C is sagged I believe and represents a 120mm Fox 34 which I will be running again.

Speaking of forks, does anyone know if the 34 Step Cast plays well with 29+?...

mtbr member
    So I need to consider what wheelset to spec on the new build as we're going a 157mm rear end. Any suggestions?

Should I strip my LB rims down and have them built onto some DT Swiss 240's? Any other good rim options with a 40-45mm internal width?

I'll probably keep my existing 34 for now as it is dialled but I'm planning on a less colourful build this time, Cane Creek 110 Headset, eeWing cranks and I'll keep the rest of the orange Hope stuff incase Payton sorts herself out at some point!...

What do you think?...

Moderator Moderator
    The 34 Stepcast will work with 29+:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BjYXl1uh...n-by=waltworks

That's the Performance model but the arch is the same on the Factory ones.

The really cool thing, IMO, is that they are indistinguishable from the "normal" 34 when riding, at least as far as I can feel/tell. For once the (sort of) weight weenie option isn't sucky!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The 34 Stepcast will work with 29+:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BjYXl1uh...n-by=waltworks

That's the Performance model but the arch is the same on the Factory ones.

The really cool thing, IMO, is that they are indistinguishable from the "normal" 34 when riding, at least as far as I can feel/tell. For once the (sort of) weight weenie option isn't sucky!

-Walt
    This is what I was hoping for! Thanks Walt, youll have mail before the weekends out!

mtbr member
    DT 240 157 is sweet - I also have 440 and 350. they are IMO the best hubs available you can upgrade the ratchets if more pick up is your thing...

and you can get cool decals from Slik if you want to stealth them....

Waltworks Ultimate Warrior-screen-shot-2018-10-13-11.37.39.jpg

Waltworks Ultimate Warrior-screen-shot-2018-10-13-11.37.54.jpg

Waltworks Ultimate Warrior-screen-shot-2018-10-13-11.38.08.jpg

Waltworks Ultimate Warrior-44298275365_33563d8cbd_z.jpg

They also do fox graphics, btw - super good quality...

Waltworks Ultimate Warrior-screen-shot-2018-10-13-11.37.06.jpg

Waltworks Ultimate Warrior-screen-shot-2018-10-13-11.36.50.jpg

Derby rims or Nextie for me - sometimes I wish the enve M640 was available 32 hole, but its so expensive and the Derby's are so good....

MTB B'dos
    You asked

Stick to the HOPEs Dude, they've worked for you in the past and you can get colour if you want (colour is always nice and not boring IMHO). I have been running a 150x12 Hope for over 2 years now and I've had no issues (as normal for me with Hope), very happy with the Pro4 engagement, just add end caps to go 157. Granted, they are a "typical" 150mm hub, so flanges are identical width with lots of room between NDS flange and disc mount, so you just use a normal driled rim to build a dishless wheel. They do offer a DH version, but AFAIK, it will only take 7 or 8 cogs, but flanges are then evenly spread further apart, for an even stronger, dishless build using a normal drilled rim.

If you build a 157 "boost" hub, you will have to use an offset drilled rim in order to build a dishless wheel. I have a Nuke Proof 150 hub that's spaced like the so called new super boost standard, had to build, as said with an offset rim to get a dishless build, there are a few other manufacturers with hubs like these out there including the new stuff from DT and a few others.

So I need to consider what wheelset to spec on the new build as we're going a 157mm rear end. Any suggestions?

Should I strip my LB rims down and have them built onto some DT Swiss 240's? Any other good rim options with a 40-45mm internal width?

What do you think?...

mtbr member

I'll probably keep my existing 34 for now as it is dialled but I'm planning on a less colourful build this time, Cane Creek 110 Headset, eeWing cranks and I'll keep the rest of the orange Hope stuff incase Payton sorts herself out at some point!...

What do you think?...
    Have you used Chris King hubs in the past? I love them. There are lighter hubs out there so if absolute grams is your option look elsewhere, but definitely worth a look.

Theyll last forever. User serviceable (and do require a little maintenance). They are smooth, quick engaging, and very strong. And look good.

Lace them up with your LB rims or Derbys and youll have some sweet wheels.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    DT 240 157 is sweet - I also have 440 and 350. they are IMO the best hubs available you can upgrade the ratchets if more pick up is your thing...

and you can get cool decals from Slik if you want to stealth them....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 11.37.39.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	1220495

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 11.37.54.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	1220496

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 11.38.08.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	1220497

Name:	44298275365_33563d8cbd_z.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	1220500

They also do fox graphics, btw - super good quality...

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 11.37.06.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1220498

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 11.36.50.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1220499

Derby rims or Nextie for me - sometimes I wish the enve M640 was available 32 hole, but its so expensive and the Derby's are so good....
    Thanks for posting, those decals look great!

Ive got a pair of DT Wheels on my gravel bike and I upgraded to the 52T, theyve been awesome so far. One thing I didnt like about the 240s was their graphics where the OEM 350s look really cool...

Ill have another look at Nextie and Derby, although my LBs have been faultless so far too.

mtbr member
    You asked

Stick to the HOPEs Dude, they've worked for you in the past and you can get colour if you want (colour is always nice and not boring IMHO). I have been running a 150x12 Hope for over 2 years now and I've had no issues (as normal for me with Hope), very happy with the Pro4 engagement, just add end caps to go 157. Granted, they are a "typical" 150mm hub, so flanges are identical width with lots of room between NDS flange and disc mount, so you just use a normal driled rim to build a dishless wheel. They do offer a DH version, but AFAIK, it will only take 7 or 8 cogs, but flanges are then evenly spread further apart, for an even stronger, dishless build using a normal drilled rim.

If you build a 157 "boost" hub, you will have to use an offset drilled rim in order to build a dishless wheel. I have a Nuke Proof 150 hub that's spaced like the so called new super boost standard, had to build, as said with an offset rim to get a dishless build, there are a few other manufacturers with hubs like these out there including the new stuff from DT and a few others.
    Since running DT and I9 hubs on my other bikes Im not enjoying the engagement of the Hopes, theyre really great and resilient hubs but I fancied a change this time round. Thanks for heads up on the rims, we used a 6mm offset on Payton, Im not sure what Walts plan is on MUW so I will see what he reckons too.

mtbr member
    Have you used Chris King hubs in the past? I love them. There are lighter hubs out there so if absolute grams is your option look elsewhere, but definitely worth a look.

Theyll last forever. User serviceable (and do require a little maintenance). They are smooth, quick engaging, and very strong. And look good.

Lace them up with your LB rims or Derbys and youll have some sweet wheels.
    I have used Chris King hubs in the past and loved how they worked and how user serviceable they were.

Hmmm lots of options but man Ive got too many wheels in my garage nowadays!!

mtbr member
    Since running DT and I9 hubs on my other bikes Im not enjoying the engagement of the Hopes, theyre really great and resilient hubs but I fancied a change this time round. Thanks for heads up on the rims, we used a 6mm offset on Payton, Im not sure what Walts plan is on MUW so I will see what he reckons too.
    Onyx are available in 157, since putting one on my ROS9, I've been looking at weaning myself off clicky hubs, silence is as they say, golden. I've run Hope, Hadley, Kings, and various Shimanos, and it's no contest.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Onyx are available in 157, since putting one on my ROS9, I've been looking at weaning myself off clicky hubs, silence is as they say, golden. I've run Hope, Hadley, Kings, and various Shimanos, and it's no contest.
    Id also like to try a silent hub, Im kind of over making noise and I want to hear the bike and the trail.

I had a look at the new XTR Scylence hubs last week, my friend is a Shimano tech guy and has a bike built with the full XTR kit on it. The engagement wasnt very quick however which surprised me but wow they were erm silent!

mtbr member

This is pretty handy off the Knolly website.

https://www.knollybikes.com/engineering

MTB B'dos
    THAT is a very good and important point that I honestly forgot about and will make a big difference over someone like me who runs clipless, even with the fact that I've got the cleats slammed nearly all the way as far back as they'll go.

All very interesting comments thanks guys although I think the steeper STA will work for me, remember Im using Pedaling Innovations Catalyst Pedals that encourage a mid foot position so my feet naturally want to be further forward. I really do think this will work I my favour but as Vikb says, the MUW/UW2 isnt going to be crazy steep not like say something such as the Pipedream Moxie which is 76.

mtbr member

This is pretty handy off the Knolly website.

https://www.knollybikes.com/engineering
    Interesting table. I'm questioning the ranking a bit though.
    The Novatec being near the top of the "optimized for strength and stiffness" category, while the CK being at the cusp of "strength and compliance" and "more compliant" --yet the CH has .5mm wider DS flange all only 0.4mm less brace on the NDS flange. I believe the CK hub will build up as a stiffer/stronger wheel than the Novatec -- if those fractions of a mm made any difference at all...

In most other cases the ranking in general seems reasonable - wider flange spacing = stronger/stiffer wheel.

Yeah - I like King stuff. Maybe I'm biased, but what's the basis for the ranking?
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Interesting table. I'm questioning the ranking a bit though.
    The Novatec being near the top of the "optimized for strength and stiffness" category, while the CK being at the cusp of "strength and compliance" and "more compliant" --yet the CH has .5mm wider DS flange all only 0.4mm less brace on the NDS flange. I believe the CK hub will build up as a stiffer/stronger wheel than the Novatec -- if those fractions of a mm made any difference at all...

In most other cases the ranking in general seems reasonable - wider flange spacing = stronger/stiffer wheel.

Yeah - I like King stuff. Maybe I'm biased, but what's the basis for the ranking?
    Im not actually sure they are ranked, I just took it to mean that the three colours or sections offered differing ride qualities. In theory.

I highly doubt Knolly or anyone else has put any of that to the test but its definitely a good way of seeing what hubs are available and will work with 157mm.

mtbr member
    Onyx 157 hubs have the new style superboost+ flange spacing....

So do the DT Swiss

Does anyone know if DT Swiss is selling 157 SB+ hubs to the public right now?

When I was building my wheelset a few months ago you could purchase 157 hubs... but they were old school flang spacing... DT had an exclusive deal with Pivot at that time

Nevertheless.... My Onyx hub has been SICK.... ZERO drag and INSTANT engagement, I would seriously consider one

and if weight is ultimate priority maybe a DT 240 w SB+ flange spacing

Looks like you are hellbent on carbon hoops... I think this will suit 29+ well

I would consider BERD spokes considering the overall pedigree of this bike

-

Ive been LOVING my Oveja Negra bolt on top tube bag! Go for some top tube braze ons!!!!!

-

Is also seriously consider Maxxis 29 x 3.0 DHF/DHR combo

Geo looks spot on!
    I think the 67 HTA is a better choice for 29+ for where you ride and what you are wanting out of the bike

All other geo looks spot on

Liking the stainless seat tube idea!
    Loveing the Eewings cranks idea!!!!
    Loving the stainless BB shell idea

Id heavily consider running carbon hoops in the 30-35 ID variety
    If 29 x 3.0 is the max tire size, in order to shave even more rotating weight and have superior rim and sidewal protection

What is the max chainring you are currently specd for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    Onyx 157 hubs have the new style superboost+ flange spacing....

So do the DT Swiss

Does anyone know if DT Swiss is selling 157 SB+ hubs to the public right now?

When I was building my wheelset a few months ago you could purchase 157 hubs... but they were old school flang spacing... DT had an exclusive deal with Pivot at that time

Nevertheless.... My Onyx hub has been SICK.... ZERO drag and INSTANT engagement, I would seriously consider one

and if weight is ultimate priority maybe a DT 240 w SB+ flange spacing

Looks like you are hellbent on carbon hoops... I think this will suit 29+ well

I would consider BERD spokes considering the overall pedigree of this bike

-

Ive been LOVING my Oveja Negra bolt on top tube bag! Go for some top tube braze ons!!!!!

-

Is also seriously consider Maxxis 29 x 3.0 DHF/DHR combo

Geo looks spot on!
    I think the 67 HTA is a better choice for 29+ for where you ride and what you are wanting out of the bike

All other geo looks spot on

Liking the stainless seat tube idea!
    Loveing the Eewings cranks idea!!!!
    Loving the stainless BB shell idea

Id heavily consider running carbon hoops in the 30-35 ID variety
    If 29 x 3.0 is the max tire size, in order to shave even more rotating weight and have superior rim and sidewal protection

What is the max chainring you are currently specd for?
    Hey Mikee!

Im airing on the side of DT SuperBoost hubs at the moment if we can get them and Ive emailed Mikesee about building me something so well see which spikes he suggests. Im definitely not hellbent on carbon anything to be fair, Ive asked Mike when alloy rims he would advise on. Probably something up to 40mm internal width. Ive decided not to strip the 45mm LB wheels down, Ill keep them for Payton.

Going with braze ons on the TT!

Ive got a brand new pair of 29x3 Minions for it so were on the same wavelength here as ever! But Ive asked if we can go for 3.25 clearance for when I want to run the Duro Cruxs although Id only be able to run them with the rigid forks.

WNC Native
    But Ive asked if we can go for 3.25 clearance for when I want to run the Duro Cruxs although Id only be able to run them with the rigid forks.
    Or in a Manitou Pro Magnum/Mattoc fork.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Or in a Manitou Pro Magnum/Mattoc fork.
    I had considered that fork too, but to be honest I doubt I would use the Crux enough to warrant moving to a different fork for, if that makes sense?

WNC Native
    I had considered that fork too, but to be honest I doubt I would use the Crux enough to warrant moving to a different fork for, if that makes sense?
    It does. Figured I'd through that out there just in case though.

mtbr member
    It does. Figured I'd through that out there just in case though.
    No worries, thanks for the suggestion!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011