mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Vee Tire Bulldozer 29 x 3.25" reviews?

Info seems to be really sparse, curious if anyone has first hand knowledge on this tire???

Specifically, how does it perform compared to the Duro Crux and is true to size. I've been smitten by the Duro Crux but they are hard to get a hold of and I'd like to have more than one option for a true 3.25" tire.

Cheers!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I can't comment on the Duro Crux, but I do have 2 pairs of BullDozers 3.25". One is currently mounted onto mulefut 50's on my Jones plus, the other pair is in reserve for either my Krampugs or other.

The Bulldozers for me at least are a great tire. I'll preface by saying, I don't ride long or hard at the moment, so most of my outings are short somewhat technical colorado front range rides. The bulldozer has excelled for all the riding I've done. At higher PSI it rolls very fast with minimal buzz through the bike, this is great for riding on the roads/gravel paths with my daughter in tow. On the trail with low double digit numbers it has done great. I do notice a little more of the "tire roll/self steer" but I am running tubes, and those times I feel it I know that I've let too much pressure out. As with all plus tires, there is a sweet spot and .5-1psi either way will let ya know. The tread pattern is great, was perfect for light snowy trail rides, has done pretty well in some mud (does stick/pack in a little more, but that was a rare muddy week for us), great in fall trail condition with leaves/pine needles. The side knobs are nice and big, I've only needed to dig over that far a few times (again, my riding style at the moment) but they dig in pretty well when called upon.

Mine do measure true to size, they were just shy when first mounted up, but that was months ago, and they've swelled up some since (again, I'm tubed, and I know tubeless would let them swell more). I also like the rounder profile they have on the 50mm rims.

I had to order direct from VEE to get these as I was in the same boat, couldn't find them anywhere.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Well, here is the start of some feedback for this tire.

Soooo, in my search for a front tire with a nice balance between rolling resistance, weight, volume, and grip for my rigid Krampus, I mounted up a 29 x 3.25 Bulldozer from Jones Bikes this week. In the past I have tried the following as front tires: Surly Knard (120 TPI), Vitorria Bomboloni, Duro Crux and WTB Ranger (light casing). The Bomboloni was my favorite so far, but quality seems to be a bit spotty with them and it was slightly down on volume when compared to the Knard.

Initial impressions of the Bulldozer are good. It mounted up easily on my Easton ARC 40 rims, true to its tubeless ready claims, and only has the tiniest bit of casing wobble unlike my Bombolonis. After sitting overnight at 15 PSI it measures 77 mm at the side knobs and 79 mm at the widest part of the sidewall, which is similar to what the Knards measured after they stretched out over months of riding. After a short first ride (at 12 PSI), I like the weight, cushiness, and rolling resistance. Brake traction was good, but the jury is still out on cornering traction. Everything was on par with my Bombolonis for most of the ride, but the tire did break away abruptly during one corner, which may or may not be due to the odd side knob tread design. I am going to play with the pressure a bit to see if that helps. The sidewalls should be able to take it given how burly they feel. Also, no burping or any other sealant issues so far. More to come after I put some more miles on this tire in varied terrain.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    I have a fat bike that came with Bulldozers stock. I liked them because I thought the name was cool. Ha! They are fine for regular trail riding, but that's about it. They are horrible in snow no matter how low the pressure. They don't do well in mud either. The center driving knobs are just too short.

They state 4.7" on the sidewall, but I only get 4.2". Then again I am on 80 mm rims with tubes. They ARE a nice, high volume tire for sure. And they seem to handle anything that they run over or that pokes at them while blazing my own trail through the woods.

They have horrible self-steer (it's a fat tire though), but are great once off road. DRY off road.

They are fine for riding in the woods, but they would not be my first choice. Again, fat tire but still Bulldozers.

mtbr member
    At 12 PSI, I had zero noticeable (to me) self-steer, even on pavement. We will see if that holds when I drop the pressure a little bit.

Mud and snow aren't much of a concern for me here in south central Texas, but I could see how they wouldn't be aggressive enough for snow and how they might pack up in mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Jason & Croatiansensation, thanks for the feedback! I'm in Central Texas too (Austin) and will be very curios to hear how you experience develops, keep the thoughts coming!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Thinking about cheating on the Crux, eh? Me too Buy a couple and letís check em out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation View Post
    Well, here is the start of some feedback for this tire.

Soooo, in my search for a front tire with a nice balance between rolling resistance, weight, volume, and grip for my rigid Krampus, I mounted up a 29 x 3.25 Bulldozer from Jones Bikes this week. In the past I have tried the following as front tires: Surly Knard (120 TPI), Vitorria Bomboloni, Duro Crux and WTB Ranger (light casing). The Bomboloni was my favorite so far, but quality seems to be a bit spotty with them and it was slightly down on volume when compared to the Knard.

Initial impressions of the Bulldozer are good. It mounted up easily on my Easton ARC 40 rims, true to its tubeless ready claims, and only has the tiniest bit of casing wobble unlike my Bombolonis. After sitting overnight at 15 PSI it measures 77 mm at the side knobs and 79 mm at the widest part of the sidewall, which is similar to what the Knards measured after they stretched out over months of riding. After a short first ride (at 12 PSI), I like the weight, cushiness, and rolling resistance. Brake traction was good, but the jury is still out on cornering traction. Everything was on par with my Bombolonis for most of the ride, but the tire did break away abruptly during one corner, which may or may not be due to the odd side knob tread design. I am going to play with the pressure a bit to see if that helps. The sidewalls should be able to take it given how burly they feel. Also, no burping or any other sealant issues so far. More to come after I put some more miles on this tire in varied terrain.
    Is your Krampus a first or second generation? Did you have to move the rear axle back to fit the rear tire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Is your Krampus a first or second generation? Did you have to move the rear axle back to fit the rear tire?
    It is an OPS with the MDS chips, so I guess a v1.5? I am not running the Bulldozer in the rear just yet, but given my experience and its similar measurements to Surly Knards I think you would be able to run it with the axle slammed forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Thinking about cheating on the Crux, eh? Me too Buy a couple and letís check em out!
    Just never got along with the Crux on the terrain I normally ride with the Krampus. To me, it felt heavy and draggy without bringing much more to the table as a front tire than my Bomboloni's. That feeling may have changed if I lived where it snowed or rode the bike on super rugged, technical trails.
    Last edited by croatiansensation; 09-04-2018 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation View Post
    Just never go along with the Crux on the terrain I normally ride with the Krampus. To me, it felt heavy and draggy without bringing much more to table as a front tire than my Bomboloni's. That feeling may have changed if I lived where it snowed or rode the bike on super rugged, technical trails.
    Hey I got some barely used bombolinis that Vittoria sent me for some ones that didn't run true. They run true!

Trade you for some Crux's. If interested PM me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post

Pusher.

Man, I'm leaning away now Tex. After reading that the knob width and casing width were equal on an I35 rim I'm doubtful. My Duroc 50's would push that casing out even further.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Hey I got some barely used bombolinis that Vittoria sent me for some ones that didn't run true. They run true!

Trade you for some Crux's. If interested PM me.
    The one I had is looonnnng gone to some guy up in Minnesota.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    Pusher.

Man, I'm leaning away now Tex. After reading that the knob width and casing width were equal on an I35 rim I'm doubtful. My Duroc 50's would push that casing out even further.
    Easton ARC 40's have an internal width of 40mm, only 6 mm narrower than your Duroc 50's

turtles make me hot
    I used to like running my fat bike on trails with a fat front and 29+ rear wheel. I put a Bulldozer on the rear and didn't like it as much as the Chupacabra I normally run. 'Then I bought a Krampus... The late model Boost one. Chupacabra rear and the Bulldozer on the front. LOVE IT as a front tire.
    My son has one on his front wheel with a WTB Ranger on the rear. Likes it a lot.
    One of my friends has one on the front of his Krampug and he likes it so much I'm building him a Jones Plus bike with Dozers front and rear.

I actually never got to try a Duro Crux because I bought my first Bulldozer from Jones and I was ordering the Duros but they suggested I might like the Bulldozer better.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Update: So far so good. I have 35-ish miles on the Bulldozer, and it seems to be the answer to my quest for a balanced front tire. I took it out on some single track yesterday that has a mix of rocks, roots, and hard pack, and forgot about the tire for most of the ride, which is a good thing in my book. At 11 PSI, it responded well when I weighted it in turns, and the added volume over most of the other 29+, fast rolling tires I have run was nice. Unless something horrible happens in the next 100 miles of use, I am sold, and may try it as a rear tire when my Bomboloni wears our.

mtbr member
    I just ordered one of these for the front of my Stache. What pressure are y'all running in these and what is yer weight?
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    I weigh around 225 and may go a little lower than the 11 PSI I am currently running.

turtles make me hot
    I weigh 255 and run about 16 psi.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I'm in between y'all at about 240-245 depending on how much gear I'm packing.

mtbr member
    100 miles with this tire, and it has pretty much met my expectations.

If you ever have said to yourself," I like the Surly Knard's volume and fast rolling nature, but would like a bit more grip and durablity," this is your tire.

mtbr member
    Well I have never tried the Knard but so far I have about 35-40 miles on mine and I am pleased with it. I have been running about 12.5 psi with it. I have about 6mm of clearance at the top of the arch on my 29+ Yari. I let all the air out of the fork and checked the clearance at the crown and it is good to go.

Vee Tire Bulldozer 29 x 3.25" reviews?-20180814_174802%7E2.jpg
    Last edited by huckleberry hound; 09-03-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Old man brain lock

mtbr member
    Iíve got around 165 miles on mine - as a rear tire (with a Crux up front). Thought Iíd like it more than I do out back, but It doesnít feel as fast rolling or lively as I expected (ie. as I remember the Crux).

Glad itís relatively reasonably priced and more available than the Crux...

Iím around 180 all geared up, and have run primarily ~10.5-10psi. Used to run the Crux ~ 11.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone ever try this tire in a Fox 36?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Anyone ever try this tire in a Fox 36?
    Iam using one in my Fox 36 Talas! Love as a front, I am using Ibis wheel set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    Well I have tried the Knard but so far I have about 35-40 miles on mine and I am pleased with it. I have been running about 12.5 psi with it. I have about 6mm of clearance at the top of the arch on my 29+ Yari. I let all the air out of the fork and checked the clearance at the crown and it is good to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180814_174802~2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	1214433
    This is great news.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY View Post
    Iam using one in my Fox 36 Talas! Love as a front, I am using Ibis wheel set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you B-RAY!