Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 458
  1. #1
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674

    Trek Full Stache.

    Amazed that this hasn't broken the internet today.

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...reenvisibility

    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...mountain-bike/

    Anyone else have one on the way?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    309
    And it's even on sale!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    457
    I just went down and looked at one on lunch. It's a pretty impressive machine, and I finally got to see the xr4s 3.0s in person. Seems like it would be great in your area mikesee- maybe overkill for mine.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,781
    Just when I think I can get past the funky look of the elevated chainstay they accentuate it to REALLY bring it out!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Just when I think I can get past the funky look of the elevated chainstay they accentuate it to REALLY bring it out!
    I laughed at one of the comments from the articles that said it looks like a male dog lifting it's leg to pee.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,981
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Amazed that this hasn't broken the internet today.

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...reenvisibility

    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...mountain-bike/

    Anyone else have one on the way?
    I like this a lot, but I think I like your new bike better!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Anyone else have one on the way?
    Wait.......... you have one of these coming or did you mean any other manufacturers have one on the way? I just saw your new ride.........

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kirkerik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    497
    Sweet! This is good!

    Love to have the option, although I have to lean towards the farley ex for hub space compatability w my fatty!
    Last edited by Kirkerik; 04-05-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

  9. #9
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    It is so nice to see this sort of machine from a big mainstream manufacturer. They nailed this bike, IMO and it makes me want to clear out the entire garage and buy one. Well done Trek.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    144
    Expensive for an aluminum bike, but I guess there isn't much to compare it to. Not a huge weight penalty over the hard tail stache which is nice.

    I have the 2018 stache 9.7 and it's a beast of a bike that tackles Midwest trails amazingly, I bet this just eats up trail...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    15
    I was considering the HT stache last year, but went in a different direction. I really like the Full stache. Might have to pull the trigger.

  12. #12
    Student of the Bike
    Reputation: CBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    682
    I'm a dedicated hardtail rider, and I don't plan to change that any time soon. But I'm definitely getting that "new bike attraction" vibe from this one, and its a strange feeling to me considering its an FS bike. I also find it good that if I ever do decide to go FS, that there is a bike with #'s I like and are combined with my love of the 29+ platform.

    Later,
    CJB

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,765
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Just when I think I can get past the funky look of the elevated chainstay they accentuate it to REALLY bring it out!
    Black electrical tape.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  14. #14
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,997
    My question as always:

    Does it fit a 275x3.5" tire?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  15. #15
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    933
    I love the idea of trek implementing this design. My concern would be for lateral flex for aggressive riding. It annoys me that most reviewer/writers want to pigeon hole 29+ as a "back country explorer". I have been running 29+ for over a year in both SS and FS and love it for aggressive technical riding. Also have to agree, i want to demo mikesee's bike!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juan_speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I love the idea of trek implementing this design. My concern would be for lateral flex for aggressive riding. It annoys me that most reviewer/writers want to pigeon hole 29+ as a "back country explorer". I have been running 29+ for over a year in both SS and FS and love it for aggressive technical riding. Also have to agree, i want to demo mikesee's bike!
    From bikemag.com's review - "The elevated chainstay makes that short rear center possible, but it leads to some frame flex. The back end feels vague when you punch it into a berm or pull up at an angle. And in the lower gears, the wheel can actually flex the frame enough that the tire will occasionally rub the chain. After I upgraded to Bontrager's Line 40 carbon rims, I found much of the flex disappeared. But under forceful riding, the flex is still there, and it's not subtle like non-Boost vs. Boost, or Bon Scott vs. Brian Johnson. It's significant, like Axl Rose vs. Brian Johnson."
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    777
    Amazing job Trek! It’s so great to see them making these types of bikes( 29+).

    The development and innovation in bikes the last 10 years has been incredible. Such a good time to be a rider and bike geek.

  18. #18
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    From bikemag.com's review - "The elevated chainstay makes that short rear center possible, but it leads to some frame flex. The back end feels vague when you punch it into a berm or pull up at an angle. And in the lower gears, the wheel can actually flex the frame enough that the tire will occasionally rub the chain. After I upgraded to Bontrager's Line 40 carbon rims, I found much of the flex disappeared. But under forceful riding, the flex is still there, and it's not subtle like non-Boost vs. Boost, or Bon Scott vs. Brian Johnson. It's significant, like Axl Rose vs. Brian Johnson."
    ...so for the most part, it's not really the frame flexing, it's the (rear) wheel.

    Make the frame in carbon and that'll pretty much disappear, just like the difference between AL and carbon Staches.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr Evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    457
    I saw one today at my LBS. Loved the OD or Coyote Green color (what ever they call it). Did find the lime green chain stay a bit loud though. Impressive looking bike.

  20. #20
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,534
    Damn... Might buy my first Trek ever.
    I like turtles

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    51
    That's a cool looking ride. I literally just bought a mojo 3 to compliment my stache (maiden voyage was earlier today) but I'm glad to see trek is pushing the boundaries with this one. That said it is definitely too much bike for my local terrain, but definitely could see this an an excellent exploration bike in areas with vast stretches of wilderness

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    107
    Awesome. This is so much what I was waiting for. But $2k for alu frameset is rather expensive.

    I bet this bike will sell fast!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Awesome. This is so much what I was waiting for. But $2k for alu frameset is rather expensive.

    I bet this bike will sell fast!
    Isn't 2k pretty standard stuff for an alu full-suspension frameset?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by jonm1211 View Post
    Isn't 2k pretty standard stuff for an alu full-suspension frameset?
    Probably you're right. Maybe I just saw too much discounted FS carbon frames around $2k
    Last edited by Mebaru; 04-06-2018 at 12:44 AM.

  25. #25
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,534
    I think the Lenz is 2800.
    I like turtles

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I think the Lenz is 2800.
    $2,400

    I'm really enjoying my behemoth 29+. It's one of those bikes that just feels special and not like some generic mass produced bike.

    The full stache is almost exactly what I was looking for earlier this year though. Had it been available, it would have been a very tough choice between the stache and behemoth. I hope I get a chance to ride one

    Trek Full Stache.-2.jpg
    Last edited by coke; 04-06-2018 at 09:16 AM.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,721
    I'm waiting for the carbon version!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I'm waiting for the carbon version!
    Same here. Trek probably will roll out a range of 5/7/9.x models in the end of season or next season, if this one will sell well.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I'm really enjoying my behemoth 29+. It's one of those bikes that just feels special and not like some generic massed produced bike.
    Very true. But I like that Full Stache frame triangle is rather spacious for a FS bike and should be better suited for singletrack bikepacking with trail riding involved.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    457
    i put a pic in over on the trek manufacturer forum of the rear. I doubt it if it's a true 3.5.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    457
    It's got some substantial hydroform shaping. I have a feeling it was pretty pricey to build up the first run. It might get cheaper like the regular aluminum stache did though.

  32. #32
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Awesome. This is so much what I was waiting for. But $2k for alu frameset is rather expensive.

    I bet this bike will sell fast!

    They sold out (to dealers, from the mothership) in a few hours the first day they were available. So I'm told.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    They sold out (to dealers, from the mothership) in a few hours the first day they were available. So I'm told.
    Astonishing. I am so anxious to read first reviews or impressions how it rides!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kirkerik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    My question as always:

    Does it fit a 275x3.5" tire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I love the idea of trek implementing this design. My concern would be for lateral flex for aggressive riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    From bikemag.com's review - "The elevated chainstay makes that short rear center possible, but it leads to some frame flex. The back end feels vague when you punch it into a berm or pull up at an angle. And in the lower gears, the wheel can actually flex the frame enough that the tire will occasionally rub the chain. After I upgraded to Bontrager's Line 40 carbon rims, I found much of the flex disappeared. But under forceful riding, the flex is still there, and it's not subtle like non-Boost vs. Boost, or Bon Scott vs. Brian Johnson. It's significant, like Axl Rose vs. Brian Johnson."
    How about the Farley EX? Sure it would be stiffer w the wider hubs and fits 4.0 and 29+!

    Can anyone who has ridden both platforms in 29+ compare? Either way I'm sure the Full Stache is excellent in it's own w a more "modern" like geometry.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    457
    My dealer had 2, they sold the first one sight unseen by phone the day before they officially went on sale and the buyer lived 130 miles from the shop.

    Sounds like an early hit at least. It's not a bread and butter bike though so they probably won't go crazy ramping up manufacturing.

  36. #36
    rth009
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    638
    deleted
    Last edited by rth009; 04-06-2018 at 10:59 AM.

  37. #37
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Black electrical tape.

    I was thinking spray paint.

  38. #38
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    How about the Farley EX? Sure it would be stiffer w the wider hubs and fits 4.0 and 29+!
    I dont want more hub sizes in my garage. It's bad enough having 135/142/148 bikes around. I like standardization in my garage cuz its cheap.

    I also wouldn't get the full benefit of a 29x3 or 275x4" setup because I would only occasionally (bikepacking or dry/sandy months) run those combos. Most of the time I'd be on 29x2.4-2.6 setups.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I dont want more hub sizes in my garage. It's bad enough having 135/142/148 bikes around. I like standardization in my garage cuz its cheap.

    I also wouldn't get the full benefit of a 29x3 or 275x4" setup because I would only occasionally (bikepacking or dry/sandy months) run those combos. Most of the time I'd be on 29x2.4-2.6 setups.
    The problem is a 27.5x3.5 tire and Boost 148 just won't work together, at least not without major drivetrain modifications. You would have to offset the chainline out at the crank and drop a couple of cogs off the cassette and space it out as far as possible, otherwise the chain will rub the tire.

  40. #40
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,997
    We can agree to disagree. Some of us are ok with increased drivetrain wear and imperfect chainline.

    Years ago they would have told us something like a 29x3" 130mm travel full-suspension with "normal" hubs and BB would be impossible, especially from a major manufacturer.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  41. #41
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I dont want more hub sizes in my garage. It's bad enough having 135/142/148 bikes around. I like standardization in my garage cuz its cheap.

    I also wouldn't get the full benefit of a 29x3 or 275x4" setup because I would only occasionally (bikepacking or dry/sandy months) run those combos. Most of the time I'd be on 29x2.4-2.6 setups.
    There's a lot more to 29+ than its ability to float on gravel and sand.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,423
    does travis ever not look good on a bike?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kirkerik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I dont want more hub sizes in my garage. It's bad enough having 135/142/148 bikes around. I like standardization in my garage cuz its cheap.

    I also wouldn't get the full benefit of a 29x3 or 275x4" setup because I would only occasionally (bikepacking or dry/sandy months) run those combos. Most of the time I'd be on 29x2.4-2.6 setups.
    I hear ya! Exactly why i'd like another bike w 197/150 hub spacing as that is what my favorite bike is now. (Share Wheelsets) I do have a couple old 135/100 bikes that i got my money out of. Fortunately I have been waiting to let the hub spacing settle out.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

  44. #44
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    does travis ever not look good on a bike?

    It's all in the facial hair. Wonder where they got the name for this model from...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It's all in the facial hair. Wonder where they got the name for this model from...
    :-)~

  46. #46
    Adventure Mapper
    Reputation: forgiven_nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    552
    Trek's first video of it with Gary as an announcer seemed very strange. Anyone else wonder why they didn't take a different approach to unveiling it? Not sure how well that video will sell the bike for them, but what do I know, I did not go to school for marketing...
    My YouTube channel for MTB content:
    http://youtube.com/RideAlongside

    Website:
    RideAlongside

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    We can agree to disagree. Some of us are ok with increased drivetrain wear and imperfect chainline.

    Years ago they would have told us something like a 29x3" 130mm travel full-suspension with "normal" hubs and BB would be impossible, especially from a major manufacturer.
    You might be OK with those compromises, but a major manufacturer will not be.

    Don't get me wrong, I love that tire size, and my last custom build was spec'ed to fit them. But even with a 157mm rear and an 83mm BB, the chain still rubs a Hodag on a 65mm rim. When running that setup in the winter, I switch to a flat ring instead of the normal 6mm dished and it solves the issue.

    Anyway, back on topic: this is a really cool bike. And that's coming from somebody who has not ridden any form of suspension in like a decade!

  48. #48
    Lone Wolf
    Reputation: Osco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,679

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    A while back I moved from full suspension back to a hard tail because of boost and plus tires. Plus hard tails are all hard tail without the harsh ride, HT efficiency Is everything to me. I've got the 29er roll over with my 27.5 plus and am happy.

    Yep Trek nailed It again but I don't think I'd pull the trigger because I'm doing just fine using my legs for rear suspension.

    I just don't want a bike that costs twice as much and Is six pounds heavier than my current bike.
    There Is no way It Is twice the ride...
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    457
    I basically agree with you, part of the reason I loved my stache from the get go is it got me back on a hard tail. But, I can sure think of a lot of areas where this would be the ticket and my hardtail gets overwhelmed. I don't ride those much because they aren't "fun", but maybe they would be fun on one of these?

    I'm trying to resist the bug. I'm weakening.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    891
    Love the new Stache, and you can bet they are already riding carbon prototypes on their grounds and we'll see them soon enough to.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    383
    I didn't want Trek to release a FS Stache as I didn't want this dilemma!

    It is tempting to just stick an order in for a frameset but then one of the reasons I love riding my Stache and stopped riding the Fuel is I like the feel of the hard tail.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

  52. #52
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,534
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Trek's first video of it with Gary as an announcer seemed very strange. Anyone else wonder why they didn't take a different approach to unveiling it? Not sure how well that video will sell the bike for them, but what do I know, I did not go to school for marketing...
    I like it.
    I like turtles

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,592
    Yeah, I saw a link on the plus forum, nice on Trek to bring this wheel size into the mainstream. Travel is less than my needs, but it looks like a sweet bike,

    I’m left rubbing my head as to why folks insist the chainstays on this bike “must be flexy”. Is it some preconceived notion based on the design?

    Nice looking bike for big adventures. Price is quite fair.

    ... and I really liked that Trek ad, cuz I am most certainly a kook

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Amazed that this hasn't broken the internet today.

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...reenvisibility

    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...mountain-bike/

    Anyone else have one on the way?

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,592
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I was thinking spray paint.
    Yup, same fugly look as the Devinci, what we’re hey thinking?

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,592
    Farley EX has less travel, is wider and heavier, so it depends on your needs and willingness to compromise. I would not count on the hub width making the bike stiffer. Both bikes are excellent options.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    How about the Farley EX? Sure it would be stiffer w the wider hubs and fits 4.0 and 29+!

    Can anyone who has ridden both platforms in 29+ compare? Either way I'm sure the Full Stache is excellent in it's own w a more "modern" like geometry.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LargeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Trek's first video of it with Gary as an announcer seemed very strange. Anyone else wonder why they didn't take a different approach to unveiling it? Not sure how well that video will sell the bike for them, but what do I know, I did not go to school for marketing...
    Would be a cool video, BUT Salsa already had a bike like this, sooooo , not really anything special at this point but more options.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,765
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    ...BUT Salsa already had a bike like this, sooooo , not really anything special at this point but more options.
    And Lenz had a 29+ fully 1-2 years before Salsa. More options are good...especially when the number of models in a niche are so small.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  58. #58
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

    I’m left rubbing my head as to why folks insist the chainstays on this bike “must be flexy”. Is it some preconceived notion based on the design?
    I can only base my reason for concern on the only two elevated chainstay design bikes I have ridden recently (can't include the old Nishiki Alien!). I had a brief stint with Stache SS and a Woodsmoke (geared). Both bikes under higher G corners felt flexy. The SS Stache was bad enough to get rid of. I was borrowing the Woodsmoke to see if it did the same thing and although it was less noticeable, I figured going SS it would be similar. I definitely ride less smoothly on my FS and would be concerned that lateral flex would be an issue. As the reports come in, I look to be pleasantly surprised by reports of a stiff frame. If I can demo one (doubtful), I will report back. The bike certainly has what I am looking for. I would gladly purchase Al. too. Just clarifying my concern.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  59. #59
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    And Lenz had a 29+ fully 1-2 years before Salsa. More options are good...especially when the number of models in a niche are so small.

    More like 4 -- but who's counting?

    To say that the Salsa 29+ monstrosity has anything in common with this Trek is to compare a Toyota Tacoma to a Peterbuilt 18-wheeler. Sure, they both have wheels...

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,765
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    More like 4 -- but who's counting?
    Devin gets credit for being at the forefront of a bunch of cool trends.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  61. #61
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Devin gets credit for being at the forefront of a bunch of cool trends.

    Sure. And, in this case, thanks to Surly bringing the 29+ idea into the light.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foresterLV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I can only base my reason for concern on the only two elevated chainstay design bikes I have ridden recently (can't include the old Nishiki Alien!). I had a brief stint with Stache SS and a Woodsmoke (geared). Both bikes under higher G corners felt flexy. The SS Stache was bad enough to get rid of. I was borrowing the Woodsmoke to see if it did the same thing and although it was less noticeable, I figured going SS it would be similar. I definitely ride less smoothly on my FS and would be concerned that lateral flex would be an issue. As the reports come in, I look to be pleasantly surprised by reports of a stiff frame. If I can demo one (doubtful), I will report back. The bike certainly has what I am looking for. I would gladly purchase Al. too. Just clarifying my concern.
    was it carbon or alu Stache SS?

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    Sweet! This is good!

    Love to have the option, although I have to lean towards the farley ex for hub space compatability w my fatty!
    Comparing the Farley to a Stache is like comparing a capable athlete to a clumsy oaf. (Maybe not quite that drastic) Farley is a bike designed around geometry that encourages traversing backwoods trail. Stache is built around geometry that inspires you to manual, wheelie, jump, rail, etc...

    Rebuttal #1: I can do all that on a Farley. True, you can drag race a stock f150 too.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LargeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    And Lenz had a 29+ fully 1-2 years before Salsa. More options are good...especially when the number of models in a niche are so small.
    Agreed. but the video stated TREK pretty much invented the the 29er+ FS.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chemandy70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    54
    Salsa Deadwood is perfect in certain places of the world. how is it a monstrosity? not challenging just inquiring
    fatcamp podcast at fat-bike.com

  66. #66
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemandy70 View Post
    Salsa Deadwood is perfect in certain places of the world. how is it a monstrosity? not challenging just inquiring
    Check the chainstay length, for starters.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,360
    Stache vs Deadwood

    Just speculation, but I'm going to say it's a fun agile style of bike versus a tool to just traverse trail.

    I've seen a few local Stache hardtail riders that love their Stache because it's supposedly a nimble, agile bike that begs to be manual'd, wheelied, carved, and jumped. But when I watch these guys ride, they don't do any of that. They just sit and pedal. They have a hardtail that is not harsh on their butt, rolls over anything, and it's got great traction. That's the real reason it's comfortable to them obviously. They're just regurgitating the marketing jargon when they're asked why they like it because they're obviously not riding that way.

    Those same style of riders are going to like the Deadwood just fine and not see a need for a Full Stache because they're not going to know the difference in capabilities.

    Now someone who jumps, rides off small cliffs (less than 5ish feet, I'd say) manuals through rollers, and pushes the bike in a fun agile way will obviously see the clear advantages of the 130mm travel, short chainstay, longer reach and stack Stache over the Deadwood which is more of a plus size XC bike.

    So Full Stache is an agile, longer travel bike for the more daring line oriented rider. Deadwood is more for the sit and spin trail Rider who doesn't necessarily get rowdy.


    That said... If you read Treks description, they make it sound like the dual suspension version of the 1120, not the Stache. Stache was marketed as the rowdy hardtail. 1120 is the bikepacker. Full Stache is the rowdy bikepacker? Wha??



    Stache, the fun rowdy trail hardtail:

    "You're all about fast and fun trail rides with your friends. Stache 7 is a playful 29+ trail hardtail with 3˝ mid-fat tires, a ridiculously capable build, and a robust fork with 120mm of travel. This mountain bike marries fun and confidence. It's a big-wheeled fun wagon ready to go anywhere and take on any trail. The 3˝ mid-fat tires and full carbon frame make it our most fun and capable hardtail mountain bike ever... a fun trail hardtail that holds its own with both the distance-crushing XC crowd and your rowdy trail-riding buddies."



    1120, the ultra capable back country explorer:

    "1120 is a bikepacker's dream. A rugged all-terrain frame, 29+ tires, an included rack system, and mountain-ready spec like a 1x drivetrain add up to a touring bike with unlimited off-road capability. This bike is built to explore the most extreme backcountry destinations in the farthest reaches of the world, and it's great for fast overnight bikepacking trips and sub-24s, too."



    Full Stache, the bikepacker gnarwagon??":

    "If you love seeking out the untamed trails in the wild and discovering new lines while ripping bikepacking adventures, Full Stache 8 is your dream ride."
    Last edited by chelboed; 04-08-2018 at 09:52 AM.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,324
    I actually test rode a Deadwood today, my first + bike, on a real trail. I really can't compare it to a stache because I've only ridden one in a parking lot. I love the roll-over capabilities of the bike (came with 2.6 Rekons), but like chelboed said, you really can't get too rowdy on it, you can go fast but not rowdy
    The thing has grip for days, I could brake way later going into a fast and sketchy corners than my Jet 9 with 2.35's.

    If I could fit 2.6's on my old Jet 9 RDO I think I'd be set for life, does it mean I have to start looking for a Trail bike capable of running 2.6's rather than buying a Plus bike capable of running bigger tires than I will probably use.
    I think so.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

  69. #69
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,722
    Salsa, not as good at Trek, but at the same price. (Pertaining to the 29+ market)

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,360
    I honestly think the Full Stache is more "Stache" than "1120", but they know that if they make it look more Stachely on paper and throw the Aggressive & Bikepacker verbage into the description as well, they'll likely score unsuspecting sales on both sides from those who don't know what they want.

    Tricky. IMO, Bikepacking on a Full Stache with limited bottle mounts and pannier mounts seems very "untrendy" and would likely get you shunned by your gnarcore plaid, bearded bikepacker group.

    It's against the laws these days to bikepack without an anything cage triple bottle mount.

    It's a plus bike for riding gnarly.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeetheviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    239
    Full Stache Likes

    Elevated chainstays
    Slack but not too slack HTA
    Pike
    Color
    Drivetrain
    Price

    Dislikes

    I’m not much of a hater
    But it would be cool to do a frame up with one of these with select components

    Happy to see this machine exist on planet earth

    sidenote:I have ridden the Deadwood Sus

    I liked it

  72. #72
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,534
    I have a 29+ fully on my short list. Probably my next bike. I didn't care too much for the Salsa but I was really liking the Lenz. I like the Trek as well. Here's my dilemma...
    I'm one of those people who will keep a bike like this a good, long time. I have a Specialized Stumpjumper I originally bought in 2008. About 9 months in, I cracked the frame. They gave me a new frame. Then, I cracked a chainstay. I had to buy that and when I did get it, they told me there were only a few left. I grabbed a second one just in case. I still have that frame and both chainstays but I don't ride it any more. It did bother me though that I wouldn't be able to keep that bike in working order more than two years.
    I would think if I got a Lenz, I would always be able to have a new part made as long as they're in buisiness.
    If I got the Trek, how long would it be before I wouldn't be able to repair it?
    Now... If I were 50 pounds lighter, none of this would matter.
    I like turtles

  73. #73
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    And Lenz had a 29+ fully 1-2 years before Salsa. More options are good...especially when the number of models in a niche are so small.

    Had to dig it up: 5 years ago. I never bonded with the Knards but I knew pretty quickly that 29+ was the path forward for me.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yeah, I saw a link on the plus forum, nice on Trek to bring this wheel size into the mainstream. Travel is less than my needs, but it looks like a sweet bike,

    I’m left rubbing my head as to why folks insist the chainstays on this bike “must be flexy”. Is it some preconceived notion based on the design?

    Nice looking bike for big adventures. Price is quite fair.

    ... and I really liked that Trek ad, cuz I am most certainly a kook
    Wait, 130mm on a 29+ is less than your needs? Where the hell do you ride ?

    (I think the bikemag article is where the flexy came from, but then they fixed it with a carbon wheel- so maybe the wheel was the flexy part...)

  75. #75
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    I got some time on one tonight. Switched back and forth with a friend that was demoing one. Fun, chunky, techy local trails (Moore/Mack). Super impressive bike. Travel felt deeper than expected out back. Didn't notice any rear end flex when riding it, nor when riding behind it.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I got some time on one tonight. Switched back and forth with a friend that was demoing one. Fun, chunky, techy local trails (Moore/Mack). Super impressive bike. Travel felt deeper than expected out back. Didn't notice any rear end flex when riding it, nor when riding behind it.
    I won't ask how it compares to your new ride from Walt because I'm sure they're very different animals. But how would you compare the ride of the Full Stace to the Lenz Behemoth having ridden both?

  77. #77
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    I won't ask how it compares to your new ride from Walt because I'm sure they're very different animals. But how would you compare the ride of the Full Stace to the Lenz Behemoth having ridden both?

    15 minutes on a bike does not give one the capability to compare it to anything else with any level of realism. It's enough to form a knee-jerk reaction, and I've shared that here already.

  78. #78
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    933
    Very glad to hear about the lateral stiffness. I look forward to reading more first hand ride reports.

    foresterLV- It was carbon
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jukeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I'm waiting for the carbon version!
    I'm with you on this one!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,592
    Go big or go home!

    I rode lots of chunk, at speed, big hits, drops, air time. I can burn up 130mm of travel without much effort. I find 150mm to be the sweet spot, but would take another 10mm up front if I can get it.

    I'm waiting on a Ripmo delivery, 29er FS, XR4 2.6, 160mm/145mm, not as short as Mike's new bike, doesn't have the capacity for a true plus tire, but it's got good geo, good suspension design (DW), and it'll be a solid all around bike for my "one bike quiver".

    I still have a Hendrix FS Plus as my loaner and a Wozo running 29 x 3 XR4.

    Maybe you need to move out West, where everything is bigger

    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    Wait, 130mm on a 29+ is less than your needs? Where the hell do you ride ?

    (I think the bikemag article is where the flexy came from, but then they fixed it with a carbon wheel- so maybe the wheel was the flexy part...)

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Go big or go home!

    I rode lots of chunk, at speed, big hits, drops, air time. I can burn up 130mm of travel without much effort. I find 150mm to be the sweet spot, but would take another 10mm up front if I can get it.

    I'm waiting on a Ripmo delivery, 29er FS, XR4 2.6, 160mm/145mm, not as short as Mike's new bike, doesn't have the capacity for a true plus tire, but it's got good geo, good suspension design (DW), and it'll be a solid all around bike for my "one bike quiver".

    I still have a Hendrix FS Plus as my loaner and a Wozo running 29 x 3 XR4.

    Maybe you need to move out West, where everything is bigger
    I live in Idaho- so, pretty out west. I can imagine needing all that suspension on a Ripmo with those tiny tires lol. I'm just funnin' of course. 130 with a full 29x3 just sounds huge.

  82. #82
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Some pics from last night's ride. Greg was feeling a bit beat down from a bit of the crud as well as having ridden hard the night before. Still, on his first ride on this bike, he seemed pretty energized by it, hopping and popping and carving and manualing his way along. He was officially demo'ing the bike but my guess is that he went back to the shop and bought it this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Full Stache.-img_1448.jpg  

    Trek Full Stache.-img_1427.jpg  

    Trek Full Stache.-img_1382.jpg  

    Trek Full Stache.-img_1406.jpg  


  83. #83
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894
    I rode the full stache 8 about two hours ago. That thing is about 60 pounds with boat anchor tires haha. I only rode it in the alley and parking lot but i could wheelie at will. Now is that good or bad? Not sure, but i bet once you got this thing rolling down something like whole enchilada it would be a runaway freight train. I just see it as a niche bike not a trendsetter. Its probably good for going really slow and rock crawlimg or going INSANELY fast downhill. I wouldnt think it would have much use in the midwest or east coast too tight and fast.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post

    I only rode it in the alley and parking lot.

    I wouldnt think it would have much use in the midwest or east coast too tight and fast
    In my opinion, that type of test ride will tell you almost nothing about how a bike will ride on trails. Almost like forming an opinion of a road bike after taking it on a quick ride through a rock garden

  85. #85
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,534
    Sounds like the bike for me.
    I like turtles

  86. #86
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    In my opinion, that type of test ride will tell you almost nothing about how a bike will ride on trails. Almost like forming an opinion of a road bike after taking it on a quick ride through a rock garden
    I agree, at least im not that guy who ride sthe bike around the parking lot then buys it! Then sells it a month later haha.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,592
    I lived in the southeast for many years, I feel your pain, it kinda sucks to be so far removed from the kind of riding this bike is designed for.

    But there’s hope! I moved back out to the west four years ago, now I get to ride all the cool stuff whenever I want.

    Maybe you’ll get to move someday, until then you’ll just have to dream

    Cool bike!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    I rode the full stache 8 about two hours ago. That thing is about 60 pounds with boat anchor tires haha. I only rode it in the alley and parking lot but i could wheelie at will. Now is that good or bad? Not sure, but i bet once you got this thing rolling down something like whole enchilada it would be a runaway freight train. I just see it as a niche bike not a trendsetter. Its probably good for going really slow and rock crawlimg or going INSANELY fast downhill. I wouldnt think it would have much use in the midwest or east coast too tight and fast.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    I rode the full stache 8 about two hours ago. That thing is about 60 pounds with boat anchor tires haha. I only rode it in the alley and parking lot but i could wheelie at will. Now is that good or bad? Not sure, but i bet once you got this thing rolling down something like whole enchilada it would be a runaway freight train. I just see it as a niche bike not a trendsetter. Its probably good for going really slow and rock crawlimg or going INSANELY fast downhill. I wouldnt think it would have much use in the midwest or east coast too tight and fast.
    It is actually is only 32lbs for a 19", so not all that heavy for what kind of bike the Full Stache is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFsvuwycmEg

  89. #89
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I lived in the southeast for many years, I feel your pain, it kinda sucks to be so far removed from the kind of riding this bike is designed for.

    But there’s hope! I moved back out to the west four years ago, now I get to ride all the cool stuff whenever I want.

    Maybe you’ll get to move someday, until then you’ll just have to dream

    Cool bike!
    I am in Arizona for winter training. I would love this bike for out here because i love to climb tech gnar. Its just not a xc race bike which is all i can afford right now. I was more saying that since i kmow the trails in the Midwest and east coast i would eliminate this bike from your thoughts if you live there. That includes Asheville and vicinity. Now out west, northwest, this thing is probably a MONSTER. I can just imagine climbing up Milagrosa in Tucson on this thing. Then bombing back down. I would be very careful if you are not an experienced rider because when this thing gets going its going to be a runaway freight train. I would not buy this under the reallm of buying skill like most people try to do. Stick to a fuel ex or remedy for that. This is like a 1000cc sportbike, just because you can buy it doesnt mean you should. However if you have skill and ride this bike you can probably do outrageous joy inducing things. Vs just hanging on for dear life. Ya it probably rolls over EVERYTHING, literally, that can be good and bad i would think. I rode the Salsa Deadwood during outside onlines bike test in Tucson and that thing is also a beast but more for keeping the wheels on the ground at all times. This stache is for sky is the limit riding, if you have the balls its ready for any gap you can find, any rock garden, tech climb, drops, tricks, whatever.

  90. #90
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    It is actually is only 32lbs for a 19", so not all that heavy for what kind of bike the Full Stache is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFsvuwycmEg
    32lbs seema about right, it felt like 60 compared to my 19lb hardtail. It was a 19.5 i rode. If they offered a 5 grand 28lb carbon that would be amazing. You cant call a 32lb bike a bikepacking rig though, loaded up it will be over 40lbs. Thats a lot to push uphill.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,360
    Y'all crack meet up... act like they forgot to spec brakes on it or something...runaway freight train...1000cc sport bike...get real.

    Only for experienced riders? Heck, plus bikes tame the trail so inexperienced riders can ride it.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    I am in Arizona for winter training. I would love this bike for out here because i love to climb tech gnar. Its just not a xc race bike which is all i can afford right now. I was more saying that since i kmow the trails in the Midwest and east coast i would eliminate this bike from your thoughts if you live there. That includes Asheville and vicinity. Now out west, northwest, this thing is probably a MONSTER. I can just imagine climbing up Milagrosa in Tucson on this thing. Then bombing back down. I would be very careful if you are not an experienced rider because when this thing gets going its going to be a runaway freight train. I would not buy this under the reallm of buying skill like most people try to do. Stick to a fuel ex or remedy for that. This is like a 1000cc sportbike, just because you can buy it doesnt mean you should. However if you have skill and ride this bike you can probably do outrageous joy inducing things. Vs just hanging on for dear life. Ya it probably rolls over EVERYTHING, literally, that can be good and bad i would think. I rode the Salsa Deadwood during outside onlines bike test in Tucson and that thing is also a beast but more for keeping the wheels on the ground at all times. This stache is for sky is the limit riding, if you have the balls its ready for any gap you can find, any rock garden, tech climb, drops, tricks, whatever.
    Drugs are bad.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    You cant call a 32lb bike a bikepacking rig though, loaded up it will be over 40lbs. Thats a lot to push uphill.
    That's not true. A lot of bikepacking specific bikes have steel frames and fat wheels. Add a suspension fork and you easily go over 30lbs without gear. Saving a few pounds with carbon frame won't make your ride a lot more easier, especially on multi-day trips where you have to carry a big supply of water and food.

  94. #94
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    ...so for the most part, it's not really the frame flexing, it's the (rear) wheel.

    Make the frame in carbon and that'll pretty much disappear

    If it's the rear wheel, how does changing frame material solve it?!

  95. #95
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    11,674
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    I am in Arizona for winter training. I would love this bike for out here because i love to climb tech gnar. Its just not a xc race bike which is all i can afford right now. I was more saying that since i kmow the trails in the Midwest and east coast i would eliminate this bike from your thoughts if you live there. That includes Asheville and vicinity. Now out west, northwest, this thing is probably a MONSTER. I can just imagine climbing up Milagrosa in Tucson on this thing. Then bombing back down. I would be very careful if you are not an experienced rider because when this thing gets going its going to be a runaway freight train. I would not buy this under the reallm of buying skill like most people try to do. Stick to a fuel ex or remedy for that. This is like a 1000cc sportbike, just because you can buy it doesnt mean you should. However if you have skill and ride this bike you can probably do outrageous joy inducing things. Vs just hanging on for dear life. Ya it probably rolls over EVERYTHING, literally, that can be good and bad i would think. I rode the Salsa Deadwood during outside onlines bike test in Tucson and that thing is also a beast but more for keeping the wheels on the ground at all times. This stache is for sky is the limit riding, if you have the balls its ready for any gap you can find, any rock garden, tech climb, drops, tricks, whatever.

    Hyperbole, and a half.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,765
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    If it's the rear wheel, how does changing frame material solve it?!
    Are you suggesting carbonium is not magically able to solve all of your life's problems Mike?
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  97. #97
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894
    A 32lb bike with 130mm of travel and 29 x3.0 tires is an accident waiting to happen for inexperienced riders who will get a false sense ofconfidence based on the bikes ability to conquer anything. They will then try stuff above their level and get into a jam. I see it all the time on bikes even like a Hightower and things like that. Nobody is buying this bike to ride smooth flat trails. Thats my opinion. Make fun of me, make stupid commens, do whatever you want from your positions of high bike authority. Ill leave you all to be experts.

  98. #98
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    A 32lb bike with 130mm of travel and 29 x3.0 tires is an accident waiting to happen for inexperienced riders who will get a false sense ofconfidence based on the bikes ability to conquer anything. They will then try stuff above their level and get into a jam. I see it all the time on bikes even like a Hightower and things like that. Nobody is buying this bike to ride smooth flat trails. Thats my opinion. Make fun of me, make stupid commens, do whatever you want from your positions of high bike authority. Ill leave you all to be experts.
    This happens going from a walmart bike to a decent mountain bike. This concern is kind of lost. Mountain biking is one of the sports where designing them around peoples arrogance and ignorance isnt possible.

    But literally saw this same arguement come up with fat bike suspension and so on. Most new riders arent going to drop the coin for one of these. And if some do and get in over their head....

    WHY IS IT THE BIKE'S FAULT???

    Never understood blaming inanimate objects for the poor choices of the people that own them.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.


  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    457
    That's an impressive video, mainly because he rode it like a 29+ (i.e. just charged it). Thanks for sharing that.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,592
    I only have one question for you: How does a bike like the Stache rate being compared to a superbike or as a bike for experienced riders only? My Fatillac weighs more than the Full Stache, has more travel, and shorter chainstays, and my newbie brother rode it and slayed the trail!

    I struggle to find an example of a bike that only benefits expert riders. I have put countless people on pro level bikes from fat to DH and as long as the bike is functional and the rider knows how to do the basics (brake shift, balance), they can ride the bike. Go to a bike park and watch the newbies rent DH bikes and ride down the hill, it totally works.

    I think you are acting a bit like "chicken little".

    As far as I'm concerned, the Full Stache is no different than a regular Stache, but with rear squish. It is certainly much tamer than the endure/DH bikes sold by Trek and others.

    I could see the Stache being a great all around bike for many terrains and riders, just the right mix of design and function to suit the needs of moderate to expert terrain. It's not really an XC bike, but then neither is any bike with plus tires and more than 100mm of suspension.

    I'd put my wife or daughter; both very novice riders, on a Full Stache without a second thought. I think this bike would make a great Moab rental.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    A 32lb bike with 130mm of travel and 29 x3.0 tires is an accident waiting to happen for inexperienced riders who will get a false sense ofconfidence based on the bikes ability to conquer anything. They will then try stuff above their level and get into a jam. I see it all the time on bikes even like a Hightower and things like that. Nobody is buying this bike to ride smooth flat trails. Thats my opinion. Make fun of me, make stupid commens, do whatever you want from your positions of high bike authority. Ill leave you all to be experts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trek Stache EX 29+ Full Sus Adventure Bike - User Prototype
    By Bikeabout in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-15-2018, 05:02 PM
  2. New Stache 7 or used Stache 9?
    By Lookbiker in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-15-2017, 07:17 PM
  3. 2016 Stache 7 or 2017 Stache 5
    By lebnjay in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-01-2016, 10:31 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 01:17 PM
  5. New Trek Stache 6 Vs. Used Full Suspension. Help!
    By metalmmmitch in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 09:10 AM

Members who have read this thread: 797

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.