mtbr member

Titanium Stache?

Somewhere I saw that a custom builder built a titanium frame with Stache dimensions. Any ideas who could do this?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Big Chief RSD?
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Sklar could probably do it

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    RSD Big Chief is definitely not a Stache.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Any custom frame builder can give you nearly any geometry you desire, within reason.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Titanium Stache?-30751323700_0888530d33_b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rolondo View Post
    Somewhere I saw that a custom builder built a titanium frame with Stache dimensions. Any ideas who could do this?

44 Bikes is who you seek.
    You meet the craziest people riding e-bikes!

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oddity does some really nice 29+ short stay stuff.

Oddity Cycles: Pricing

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    RSD Big Chief is definitely not a Stache.
    Nice big but definitely no Stache...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I feel like the elevated chainstay would be mandatory for it to be Stache-like

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ti version of something Walt makes would be best. No elevated chainstays. I have my suspicions that the elevated stay causes enough Stache flex to cause some heavier riders running a tall singlespeed ratio to get skipping from time to time.

Walt's design is superior...but he's a steel junkie, so I'd go Sklar if you NEED Ti. But maybe read a bunch of reviews on Waltworks and see if maybe steel is real. Good quality steel frames are pretty incredible.

That said...love my Stache.

mtbr member
    Here’s my Waltworks and my buddy’s Stache. My WW has shorter chainstays and will fit a 27x3.8 should I care to get crazy. Currently running 29x3.25 tires. Walt is awesome to work with, and steel is realer than Ti

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ Sweeeet!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Which 3.25's are you running? Looks like a Crux/ Vee something

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Here’s my Waltworks and my buddy’s Stache. My WW has shorter chainstays and will fit a 27x3.8 should I care to get crazy. Currently running 29x3.25 tires. Walt is awesome to work with, and steel is realer than Ti
    That is just plain awesome!
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

Moderator Moderator
    Call Sean at Vertigo. You won't be disappointed.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Which 3.25's are you running? Looks like a Crux/ Vee something
    Duro Crux up front and Vee Bulldozer out back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The OP probably doesn’t want to hear this, but... a stiff Ti Frame is not gonnna be substantially lighter than steel and will probably weigh more than aluminum.

For the extra dollars you pay for a custom Ti frame, you could buy a complete Stache.

I still got s custom Ti muni frame, iteration#3, never could get a frame that was still enough to avoid flex; broke welds.

I’d get a steel frame from Walt.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29
    XMed GG Smash 29
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)

Moderator Moderator
    I do always wonder about people who buy custom ti because they want it to be lighter - because unless your budget is like $10k, the frame isn't a great place to save weight in terms of the money you spend. If a nice custom steel frame is in the ballpark of $1500-2000, and a nice custom ti frame is $3000+, then you're paying $1000 to save maybe 300 or 400 grams. $1000 will buy you some pretty nice carbon wheels, among other things.

Don't get me wrong. Ti is awesome. But you pay a LOT for it and the benefits over steel (or any other material) are limited. If you're rolling in dough, do it. Otherwise, spend your money on hanging nice parts on a steel or aluminum frame that has the geometry and fit you want.

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I do always wonder about people who buy custom ti because they want it to be lighter - because unless your budget is like $10k, the frame isn't a great place to save weight in terms of the money you spend. If a nice custom steel frame is in the ballpark of $1500-2000, and a nice custom ti frame is $3000+, then you're paying $1000 to save maybe 300 or 400 grams. $1000 will buy you some pretty nice carbon wheels, among other things.

Don't get me wrong. Ti is awesome. But you pay a LOT for it and the benefits over steel (or any other material) are limited. If you're rolling in dough, do it. Otherwise, spend your money on hanging nice parts on a steel or aluminum frame that has the geometry and fit you want.

-Walt
    I agree completely but maybe he is going into this whole want for ti thing because he wants/likes the feel that is ti.I personally don't get it as ti never did anything for me, I would go steel (if I didn't love my Stache so much) and steel made by you? Well that would be a dream bulid in it of itself!! Btw your a class act in my book for recommending other builders. CF.

This place needs an enema
    I do always wonder

You're absolutely right. That said, at the end of the day those last 300-400g matter to some people, and if spending a few bucks more can get rid of them...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You're absolutely right. That said, at the end of the day those last 300-400g matter to some people, and if spending a few bucks more can get rid of them...
    ~~ opens wallet, checks for a few extra bucks ~~ Nope, still thousands shy of a few extra. Guess I'll get a coffee
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Sure, my point was that you're paying like $3-5/gram for that weight savings. Pretty much every other part of the bike is a cheaper (and arguably better) place to save weight, so unless you have a HUGE budget, it doesn't make sense. For the $10k bike, do it. For a $5k bike, forget it.

For what it's worth, I've ridden a ton of both steel and ti bikes and I can't tell them apart. For plus bikes, I can't even tell steel or ti apart from aluminum or carbon - you just lose any perception of frame flex with all that rubber (and often suspension) moving around under you. If OP just wants a Stache made out of ti because he thinks ti is cool, that's fine - but I'd bet dollars to donuts you couldn't tell the difference riding them back to back.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm hungry, no place to buy food, so I'll take a donut

I got a steel frame now, been a few years since I rode one (Honzo), forgot how much fun a good hardtail can be

I love my fs bike, but a hardtail is just so light and agile.

Sure, my point was that you're paying like $3-5/gram for that weight savings. Pretty much every other part of the bike is a cheaper (and arguably better) place to save weight, so unless you have a HUGE budget, it doesn't make sense. For the $10k bike, do it. For a $5k bike, forget it.

For what it's worth, I've ridden a ton of both steel and ti bikes and I can't tell them apart. For plus bikes, I can't even tell steel or ti apart from aluminum or carbon - you just lose any perception of frame flex with all that rubber (and often suspension) moving around under you. If OP just wants a Stache made out of ti because he thinks ti is cool, that's fine - but I'd bet dollars to donuts you couldn't tell the difference riding them back to back.

-Walt
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29
    XMed GG Smash 29
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)

This place needs an enema

-Walt

I get your point, and like I said I agree with it.

My point is that after shaving grams on every other part on the bike, if all that's left to save weight on is the frame, then that's what some people are going to target.

If we're talking about hardtails, I can tell the difference between alu and carbon pretty quickly, even with front sus and 3" tires. Does that difference matter is the more important question. The answer is, "It depends". On the person, the terrain, the goals, and yes -- the budget.