mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Terren Tires: McFly 2.8 and Chunk 2.6

Should have them rolling this weekend, review to follow...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Looking forward to reading what you think of them. I love my Terrene Chunk Light 27.5x3.0 as a front tire. Did you get "tough" or "light" casings?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tough on both, I apparently I suck at unwaiting

Seriously, I would rather haul a little extra weight than hole a tire.

What I'm thinking is Rekon 29 x 2.6 in back and the McFly 29 x 2.8 up front.

Not sure about the Chunk, in an ideal world I could run a 2.6 in back and a 2.8 up front, but so far the 2.6 is as big as they get.

Terrene could own the 29 x 2.8 market if they'd build it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Looking forward to reading what you think of them. I love my Terrene Chunk Light 27.5x3.0 as a front tire. Did you get "tough" or "light" casings?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Agree 100% so I was holding my breath the first time or two out with the 120 tpi Light version, but it's held up just fine to where (Colorado) and how I ride. I had planned to get the Tough casings, but I re-checked my stock tires and they were 120 tpi Maxxis EXO and never let me down so I took the chance. For that matter, I'm running a 120tpi rear (Crown Gem) and it's holding up fine too.

Maybe I'm just not pushing them hard enough - could be.

They're a startup, so they very well might - I've put in my suggestion for that too based on a friend who rides 29+ and wants a 2.8 Chunk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When Walt and a biker from NC commissioned an mtb 36er tire, the minimum order was #200 pieces and the tires sold for ~$150 each.

Gotta sell a lot of tires to cover mold costs.

I bought two of those 36er tires after riding a prototype.

mtbr member
    I've got a set of 29x2.8 Light Mcflys. Only one ride so far, but I think they are keepers. I'm generally very easy on tires, so the Light casing should work well for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have been running the Tough 29x2.8 McFly in my 2017 Trek Fuel Ex. About 3 mm clearance at right chainstay. Could be more if I dished 1-2mm to the left.

Anway. I did not like it as a front tire so much when I first got it...I actually prefer the bomboloni. However, I was thinking the same as you, Rekon in back and McFly up front. Look forward to your impressions and might buy a rekon and try McFly up front again...Bomboloni is getting worn, so something new soon, and would generally like to go with some smaller and lighter 2.6/2.8 treads.

mtbr member
    Should have them rolling this weekend, review to follow...
    I would also like to know the actual width of the Chunk...read somewhere they might be a tad wider at the knobs.

Thanks.
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro
    '17 Specialized E29 S-Works
    '17 Canfield Brothers Riot
    '13 Banshee Prime (29+)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

What I'm thinking is Rekon 29 x 2.6 in back and the McFly 29 x 2.8 up front.

Not sure about the Chunk, in an ideal world I could run a 2.6 in back and a 2.8 up front, but so far the 2.6 is as big as they get.

So what did you think about mcfly front rekon rear? Did you go for light or tough version of the mcfly?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just got the tires tonight, shipping notification was confusing, I thought the Chunk was delayed, but lo and behold the Chunk 2.6 Tough and McFly 2.8 Tough weíre both in the box!

The Chunk was reluctant to go up tubeless without preinflation with a tube, so I sidestepped and mounted the McFly 2.8 first.

The McFly 2.8 mounted on Duroc 40 casing width at 20psi was 62.5mm, same as a Rekon 2.6, however the knob width on the McFly was 67.5mm, whereas the Rekon 2.6 was 62.5mm. So the McFly 2.8 has about the same volume as the Rekon; mfg measurements clearly reflect the knobbie width.

Quick ride felt good, the McFly feels like a fast roller, casing is more rounded than the Rekon, ďpeakedĒ in the centerline, which made it feel quick edge to edge. Itís to be seen if this makes the tire unstable or autosteer at speed. I have a WTB Scraper wheelset (thanks Mike!) that might round out the profile somewhat.

The Chunk 2.6 casing was noticeably narrower in width than the Rekon or McFly, might be more of 2.5 when itís all said and done. Iíll get it up by the weekend for measurements and test ride.

Riding tomorrow, vroom, vroom!

Edit: Installed the Chunk 2.6 on a Scraper i45, at 20psi casing is 61mm, knobbies are 63mm, very burly tread, 1220gm in the tough, call it Minionesque? I kinda doubt theyíll do a 2.8 tough in this tire, the weight wound scare off too many people, though they make a 3" in 27.5 Tough and Light, so maybe.... The 2.6 might make a nice front tire in combo with a Minion 2.5 out back. Gonna be a slow roller, but burly.

So the the Chunk 27.5 x 3" Tough weighs 1060 and the Chunk 29 x 2.6 weighs 1220. Weird or some clear reason like design or casing?
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 1 Week Ago at 08:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My mcfly tough is 66 at casing and 70 at tread. Also on a Duroc 40, and about 18 psi. It is about 6 months inflated. 3 months of use - prob about 500 miles, but stretched out a while back. Center tread is getting low....

I get a rekon 120tpi tonight (rear) and going to re-evaluate mcfly as a front before deciding on 2.6 or 2.8 for front duty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    500 miles and the tread is getting thin? Lots of asphalt riding or just really soft rubber?

Has the profile settled down or is still kinda peaked in the center?

I have no complaints about the Rekon, rides well in 27.5 and 29, not the most aggressive tire, but it's been cut resistant for years of riding in 27.5, so should be good for 29.

I got the 60tpi for durability, not much heavier than the 3C, might be worth considering over the lighter weight 120tpi if you're a tire abuser.

Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    My mcfly tough is 66 at casing and 70 at tread. Also on a Duroc 40, and about 18 psi. It is about 6 months inflated. 3 months of use - prob about 500 miles, but stretched out a while back. Center tread is getting low....

I get a rekon 120tpi tonight (rear) and going to re-evaluate mcfly as a front before deciding on 2.6 or 2.8 for front duty.

mtbr member
    So I've gotten 4 rides now on my 29x2.8 Light Mcflys. Just measured them at 66mm casing and 69mm knobs width, on 35mm internal rims at 12 & 13 psi. Not quite 2.8, but still bigger than most of the 2.6 tires I've seen. I'm still getting used to them, but have some initial impressions I will share.

First some background: I weigh in close to 200 suited up these days, riding a rigid titanium bike on techy Northeast singletrack. Bike is setup to run various wheel/tire sizes, which up until now have been Hodag 27.5 on 65mm rims for the winter and 27.5x3.25 Duro Crux on 50mm(front) & 40mm(rear) rims for summer. I run the Hodags down around 5psi, and the Crux around 9 to 10 psi. I started off with the Mcfly at 15 rear and 14 front. Right away, they felt fast, but also harsh compared to the wider tires I've been running. Pressure was too high, so I've been playing around and have settled on 12 psi front and 13psi rear. Any lower and I get some rim strikes, and any higher they feel a bit harsh. As I get used to the ride, I may go up a little to see if they get faster. Biggest things I've noticed are faster rolling through rock gardens, which I was expecting, but I'm also able to carry more speed through smooth corners, which I wasn't expecting. It just feels more secure leaning the bike over and carrying speed though the corners compared to the Crux, which has big knobs all around.

I'm a little torn right now, as I see advantages to both sizes. being rigid, I really like the added cush of the 27x3.25 tires, and that allows me to carry more speed safely though techy sections, but they also get hung up easier in those same sections. On the smoother stuff, the 29x2.8 is clearly faster.

I've previously run 29x3 on a couple of different bikes, but they always felt a bit ponderous, lacking the nimbleness required for my trails. Interestingly, I did not feel that with the Mcfly tires. Maybe it's the smaller size, or maybe it''s the bikes geometry? not sure. I will say this bike has really short adjustable stays, which I was able to keep at the shortest setting, 16.5", so I'm sure that helps. I'm thinking about trying something a bit bigger, but worry that my BB will get too high, as this bike was designed with high BB for 27+ wheels. I'll have to measure where it is now. How high is too high?

So any undersized 29x3 tires? I mean real tires, so no Fat B Nimble!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bikeny, have you tried a Rekon? It's not that fat, but it ride nice, no harsh ride, the 60tpi is durable, butit's no where near a 3" tire.

Is the Minion 29 x 3 120tpi too much tire?

Maybe a new frame?

mtbr member
    Bikeny, have you tried a Rekon? It's not that fat, but it ride nice, no harsh ride, the 60tpi is durable, butit's no where near a 3" tire.

Is the Minion 29 x 3 120tpi too much tire?

Maybe a new frame?
    Have not tried the Rekon, I'm looking for something bigger than the Mcfly, but not quite 3". The Minion is way more tire than I need.

Why would I need a new frame, perfectly happy with mine!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, a frame that is 29+ specific wouldn't have issues with a high bb, just saying...

I agree about finding a tire between a 2.6" and 3", a "real" 2.8" would be nice, even a smaller 3" would be acceptable; wait, isn't that a 2.8?

The Minion 29 x 3" is a whole lot of tire to spin. I have Minion 3" and XR4 3" on my Wozo hardtail, which works fine for short rides and messing around.

For me it's not so much the weight of a 3" tire as it the bulk and friction, so even with a Chupa I felt "over-tired". Must be a wuss

If there were a Maxxis Minion 29 x 2.8, I'd be riding them.

As it stands, the best I feel like I can get right now for an all around set up is the McFly 2.8 up front and the Rekon 2.6 out back or Rekon 2.6 both ends. For gravity oriented stuff, the Minion 2.5 and or the Chunk 2.6 are pretty good.

If I want the tire "differential; ie a size larger up in front, the only way I can do that now is a 2.6 up front and a 2.4-2.5 out back, which is too narrow for my needs. The McFly may work, but I'd prefer to have something like a "true, sized by casing" McFly 2.8 up front and a McFly 2.6 out back. Same with the Chunk, a true 2.8 up front and a true 2.6 out back.

In time...

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Have not tried the Rekon, I'm looking for something bigger than the Mcfly, but not quite 3". The Minion is way more tire than I need.

Why would I need a new frame, perfectly happy with mine!

mtbr member
    Well, a frame that is 29+ specific wouldn't have issues with a high bb, just saying...

I agree about finding a tire between a 2.6" and 3", a "real" 2.8" would be nice, even a smaller 3" would be acceptable; wait, isn't that a 2.8?

The Minion 29 x 3" is a whole lot of tire to spin. I have Minion 3" and XR4 3" on my Wozo hardtail, which works fine for short rides and messing around.

For me it's not so much the weight of a 3" tire as it the bulk and friction, so even with a Chupa I felt "over-tired". Must be a wuss

If there were a Maxxis Minion 29 x 2.8, I'd be riding them.

As it stands, the best I feel like I can get right now for an all around set up is the McFly 2.8 up front and the Rekon 2.6 out back or Rekon 2.6 both ends. For gravity oriented stuff, the Minion 2.5 and or the Chunk 2.6 are pretty good.

If I want the tire "differential; ie a size larger up in front, the only way I can do that now is a 2.6 up front and a 2.4-2.5 out back, which is too narrow for my needs. The McFly may work, but I'd prefer to have something like a "true, sized by casing" McFly 2.8 up front and a McFly 2.6 out back. Same with the Chunk, a true 2.8 up front and a true 2.6 out back.

In time...
    I'm just playing around with tires and wheels here, I'm pretty sure nothing will be 'perfect' for everything I ride. The bike is great with 27x3.25 and 27x3.8 tires, so a small 29+ isn't that much taller...

I have an Innova Transformer in the parts bin, I thinks that's on the small side for a 29x3, so I think I'll try that and see how it measures up. The height can't be much different from the Mcfly.

I do like tall BBs for my trails, lets me pedal through stuff instead of smacking pedals and having to ratchet them all the time. Just not sure if I'm going too high...

I do find it strange that there are plenty of 2.8 options for 27.5, but only 1 in 29.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post

I do find it strange that there are plenty of 2.8 options for 27.5, but only 1 in 29.

Yes, but hopefully it's just a time lag, 29 has been around longer, but 27.5 has the public's attention.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good ride last night until I ate shite off a big boulder roll; tried to jump and ďmissedĒ.

Anyway, the McFly did itís job, climbing felt good, itís a fast roller, on the down it was as grippier than the Rekon, nice carver, but it has an odd feel to it, not drifty but at times it felt edgy in the ďin betweenĒ, definitely likes to be driven, wants to be leaned over and pushed.

I kinda wonder if the transition from low to high knobs combined with the peaked center casing makes for an unstable transition. On a bright note, it is agile and quick edge to edge.

I may put it on the 10mm wider Scraper and see how it feels. Overall I prefer it to the Rekon, seems durable, fast rolling compared to a heavy tread like a Minion, glad I got the Tough version in this tire as itís not that heavy or thick, running 14psi it felt pretty good at my 200#.

The Chunk is my dilemma, what to pair it with if I keep it front. Maybe a Minion 2.5 or another Chunk? The Chunk Tough is really heavy and thick, I wonder if the Light casing in this tire might be enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The Chunk is my dilemma, what to pair it with if I keep it front. Maybe a Minion 2.5 or another Chunk? The Chunk Tough is really heavy and thick, I wonder if the Light casing in this tire might be enough.
    Chunk front and rear would be a bit much from what other advocates of that tire tell me; now that I have it I would agree. The rolling resistance would be more notable on the back. I think you ride more aggressively that I do, but I went with a fast roller on the back (Vee Crown Gem in my case, not bad jury's still out) and the McFly seems like it would fit the bill for you except for the width mismatch.

I took a chance on the Light and am glad I did. I think the Light casing is plenty durable enough for how and where I ride on the CO Front Range. I was coming off 120tpi Maxxis EXO tires and these shrug off rocks the same way. A buddy of mine has 120tpi Nobby Nics that feel very flimsy by comparison.

BTW, I had to use a tube to get it to seat like you did so that seems to be common even with a compressor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Chunk front and rear would be a bit much from what other advocates of that tire tell me; now that I have it I would agree. The rolling resistance would be more notable on the back. I think you ride more aggressively that I do, but I went with a fast roller on the back (Vee Crown Gem in my case, not bad jury's still out) and the McFly seems like it would fit the bill for you except for the width mismatch.

I took a chance on the Light and am glad I did. I think the Light casing is plenty durable enough for how and where I ride on the CO Front Range. I was coming off 120tpi Maxxis EXO tires and these shrug off rocks the same way. A buddy of mine has 120tpi Nobby Nics that feel very flimsy by comparison.

BTW, I had to use a tube to get it to seat like you did so that seems to be common even with a compressor.
    What size is your Crown Gem, I did a search and only found sizes up to 29 x 2.3Ē.

I rode the 27.5 x 3.8 on my Wozo and Fatillac, nice tire out back, but scary unstable up front. Iíd ride one of those out back in a 2.6-2.8Ē.

Not sure what to do with the Chunk, it begs a fast but tough tire out back, but needs to be 2.5-2.6 so itís not fatter than the Chunk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    What size is your Crown Gem, I did a search and only found sizes up to 29 x 2.3Ē.
    27.5 x 3.0 but measures 2.76 at the casing. I think for your 29+ they only go to 2.3.

The Vee Flow Snap does come in 29 x 2.6 and I've read good reviews of that tire:
    https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-flow-snap/

If you go with any of the Vee's try the 120tpi with Synthesis sidewalls - mine's holding up well and compares to Maxxis EXO sidewalls for me.

One that I strongly considered does come in 29 x 2.6 though: Specialized Purgatory GRID but I think I recall you've run those before but in B+

Further to the Chunk on the rear, I really wrestled with putting one on the back too because I value traction over speed. And the Chunk has GOBS of traction. When this Vee is dead I still might put a Chunk on the back, but I got such a deal on the CG I couldn't pass up giving it a try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like Purgatory, but the 29 x 2.6 are measuring out to 2.3-2.4

27.5 x 3.0 but measures 2.76 at the casing. I think for your 29+ they only go to 2.3.

The Vee Flow Snap does come in 29 x 2.6 and I've read good reviews of that tire:
    https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-flow-snap/

If you go with any of the Vee's try the 120tpi with Synthesis sidewalls - mine's holding up well and compares to Maxxis EXO sidewalls for me.

One that I strongly considered does come in 29 x 2.6 though: Specialized Purgatory GRID but I think I recall you've run those before but in B+

Further to the Chunk on the rear, I really wrestled with putting one on the back too because I value traction over speed. And the Chunk has GOBS of traction. When this Vee is dead I still might put a Chunk on the back, but I got such a deal on the CG I couldn't pass up giving it a try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    500 miles and the tread is getting thin? Lots of asphalt riding or just really soft rubber?

Has the profile settled down or is still kinda peaked in the center?
    Still pretty peaked. Just seems like center nobs have worn...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I tried out my mcfly in front with rekon 29x2.6 in back. Fuel ex on duroc 40s....rekon was mounted new and ridden immediately. So far 63 casing and 62 nobs. I hope the stretch to 66....so far they felt like a regular ole tire, whereas the mcfly feels like a plus tire. The rekon was fast and I liked it. The mcfly lost traction in a corner and made me pucker, lolucly hooked up enough to stabilize. Had lots of pressure in both (17 front 22 rear)...front can go down to 15 I bet. Thatís what I was running the bomboloni at ( never lost traction in same corner). Not sure how much lower on rekon. My old goma witch after stretching was 64 casing and 65 tread and never ran that below 22... any way my bike felt a bit more livilier in the 2.8/2.6 mode than the 3.0/2.8 mode....going from 75 mm bomboloni to 70 mm mcfly was a nice change.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Mcly seems to like a full tilt when turning, it hit funny when I rode corners flat, but lay it on edge and it hooked up. It never scared me, but it did seem to be all or nothing in turns; not a lot of in between. I liked it enough to keep running it. I gave a 60tpi Rekon out back, doesnít seem to require as much pressure as the 120tpi.

As for the Chunk 2.6 Tough, Iím not sure Iíll use it, 1200gms is DH stuff, I donít need that much tire for everyday. If anyone wants it, itís been mounted with a tube, never ridden. Iíll send it for cost (shipping is on me); so $75.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Mcfly, Duro Crux thoughts

The Mcly seems to like a full tilt when turning, it hit funny when I rode corners flat, but lay it on edge and it hooked up. It never scared me, but it did seem to be all or nothing in turns; not a lot of in between. I liked it enough to keep running it. I gave a 60tpi Rekon out back, doesnít seem to require as much pressure as the 120tpi.

As for the Chunk 2.6 Tough, Iím not sure Iíll use it, 1200gms is DH stuff, I donít need that much tire for everyday. If anyone wants it, itís been mounted with a tube, never ridden. Iíll send it for cost (shipping is on me); so $75.
    Good thread! I ride a 2017 red Krampus, hated the stock Knards (i think 60tpi did not help), I really like the cushion almost fatbike feel on the 3.25x29 Duro Crux, put the light McFlyís on and felt like it was cheating they were so light. As mentioned many times, ďfor my type of riding, trailsĒ I have enjoyed Duro Crux front, Mcfly rear is kinda nice compromise to help cushion ,steering front and a bit of speed in back. I just added a Thudbuster st and that smooths ride as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got a couple more good rides on the Rekon/McFly combo, was going big last Thursday and had a huge beef off a car sized boulder, landed on my face (no worries, can't make me any uglier), busted a finger, lots of misc abuse, got stitches where the bush poked a hole in my arm ... good times.

Back on the bike last night, felt really good, enjoying the speed and performance, no real downsides to the McFly, didn't notice any wandering or driftiness last night, though I'd still like to see how it rides on a slightly larger rim; might swap it the Scraper.

In reviewing Terrene tires and weights, I find it interesting that the Chunk Tough is so much heavier than the McFly Tough, makes me wonder if the Chunk is constructed differently. Anyone have the Chunk Light and a McFly Tough for comparison sake?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got out on the myfly/rekon combo last night too. This combo is quicker than the bomboloni/mcfly combo. However, I tried the rekon at about 19.5 psi, and that was too low for this 220# guy. Felt pretty squirmy in the corners and rim strike potential on landings. Will try at 20.5 psi on next ride. The casing at riding pressure is now out to 65mm, but the tread remains at 63mm. I like the volume, but not so hot on the loss of tread. In all honesty, not sure this tire is no bigger than my Goma which is a solid 65/65 on the same Duroc 40 rims. Only problem with that tire is its weight at over 1000 grams. I am liking the lighter 120 tpi version and durability seems good so far....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 200#, running the Rekon 2.8 60tpi out back on a Duroc 40 at 15psi with no issues.

It's an FS bike which helps soften the impacts, but at the most I'd probably run 16-17psi for a very firm ride.

I'm guessing the difference is I'm running a 60tpi version.

Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    I got out on the myfly/rekon combo last night too. This combo is quicker than the bomboloni/mcfly combo. However, I tried the rekon at about 19.5 psi, and that was too low for this 220# guy. Felt pretty squirmy in the corners and rim strike potential on landings. Will try at 20.5 psi on next ride. The casing at riding pressure is now out to 65mm, but the tread remains at 63mm. I like the volume, but not so hot on the loss of tread. In all honesty, not sure this tire is no bigger than my Goma which is a solid 65/65 on the same Duroc 40 rims. Only problem with that tire is its weight at over 1000 grams. I am liking the lighter 120 tpi version and durability seems good so far....