mtbr member

Surly Rabbit Hole (or something else?) for new 3.0 wheel build

Right,

so Iím building up my Stooge MK3 at the moment and would like a wider front wheel for slow and mostly somewhat technical terrain. It just so happens that I at the moment can grab a Rabbit Hole 50 at discount (in Sweden, where Surly rarely goes on sale), which got me thinking.

Are there any good reasons why I would choose another rim instead of the RH? Been looking at both the RH and the Velocity Dually for a long time now but haven't really made my mind up, and now the RH is way cheaper than the Dually. Not that big of a market for plus sized wheels over here, so Iíll have to order online (from Sweden/EU) either way. Read a lot of folks talking about no more than 35Ė40mm ID, but then again other people says there's nothing to worry about.

My plan is to go with a 3.0 tire, maybe a WTB Ranger. Again, will have to order (somewhat locally) so can't be too picky.

Any input is appreciated.

Fanny Pack Mafia
    I liked my Rabbit Holes, they were Tough! The Velocity dually rims have a reputation for inconsistent tubeless setup.

I'd look for a rim with a good tubeless interface. Yes, I ran my Rabbit Holes tubeless, but I would prefer to have a true Tubeless rim and not have to worry about it.

WTB Scrapper, Stans Hugo, Sunringle Mulefut
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Ugh. So Duallys I can find but are kinda pricey; Mulefuts, Scrapers and Hugos are either sold out or not available over here. So, I guess I've answered my own question.

The RH is now available for about $100 while the Dually is around $170 Ė is the peace of mind worth the difference between the two, OneSpeed?

Fanny Pack Mafia
    I liked the RH. Even if they were the same price, I'd choose the RH personally.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I use the 26Ē rh with 3.0 Rangers and 4.0 jjís on my Bucksaw.

mtbr member
    Sounds good, folks. Maybe I should just go ahead and pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    If tubeless is important to you, and it should be, there are much better options than the Rabbit Hole and Dually.

First question, what size? 29, 27.5, or 26?

Rims to look for include:

Race Face/Easton Arc 45
    SunRingle Duroc 50
    Kore Realm P45
    WTB Scraper
    Halo Vapor 50

If you are looking for 29+ and can deal with 28 holes, here is a great deal: Easton Arc Plus MTB Rim | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. And yeah, probably should've mentioned it already, 29 it is. And tubeless is on the to do-list. Why are those alternatives better than the RH or Dually? Just curious.

But yeah, that sure looks like a great deal. I just don't know enough to make the call if a 28 spoke wheel will be strong enough. I'm not a huge guy, but pretty athletic, 6'3 and around 190lbs/90kg with gear. You tell me! I just know that I'd rather have a tough/heavy wheel than a weaker/lighter one.

Sadly, it looks like several/all of those alternatives will be hard to find here in Sweden/EU..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    One more THUMBS UP for the R/H! SUPER STRONG RIM easily sets up TUBELESS via Gorilla Tape or split tube. Surly created that 50mm rim to pair with a 3 inch wide tire. It's safe to assume they would work well with 2.8-3.0 tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jocke View Post
    Thanks for the input. And yeah, probably should've mentioned it already, 29 it is. And tubeless is on the to do-list. Why are those alternatives better than the RH or Dually? Just curious.
    Because the RH is no a tubeless compatible rim, and the Dually claims to be tubeless ready, but the design is missing a bead lock bump to hold the tire bead securely, thus the tires are much easier to burp during cornering etc.

All the other rims I mentioned are properly designed as tubeless ready rims and allow for much easier and more secure tubeless setup. Sure, you can get the RH or Dually to work, but it's more work and not as reliable. If you already had one I'd say go ahead and try running it tubeless, but if you are building up a new wheel, there's no reason to start with old technology.

But yeah, that sure looks like a great deal. I just don't know enough to make the call if a 28 spoke wheel will be strong enough. I'm not a huge guy, but pretty athletic, 6'3 and around 190lbs/90kg with gear. You tell me! I just know that I'd rather have a tough/heavy wheel than a weaker/lighter one.

Sadly, it looks like several/all of those alternatives will be hard to find here in Sweden/EU..
    I'm no wheel builder, so I can't tell you for sure. It should work fine if built by a competent wheelbuilder. It may also be hard to source a 28 hole hub, so any cost saving on the rim may be wasted on the hub. If you were 150lb it would most definitely work fine, at your weight you're probably better off with with 32 holes.

Halo is a British company, you should be able to find the Vapour 50 somewhere. It actually looks like you can by the rims or even a complete wheel right from the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Fair points on all accounts.

A bit embarrassing, but it looks like youíre a better googler than me. Will definitely look into the Halo one, so I thank you for the heads up.

Will most likely not go with a 28h hub then, just to be on the safe side!

mtbr member
    Fair points on all accounts.

A bit embarrassing, but it looks like youíre a better googler than me. Will definitely look into the Halo one, so I thank you for the heads up.

Will most likely not go with a 28h hub then, just to be on the safe side!
    No problem, glad to help!

It's also worthwhile to talk to your local bike shop to see what they can get and build for you.

mtbr member
    Yeah, already talked to the bike shop thatís gonna help me with the build. However, I have to source the parts as wheels like these are somewhat out of the norm here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    stans baron, or majors. just picked up a baron wheelset for my 26" chromag( yes 26+ is a thing) very nice wheelset!

mtbr member
    Nice, will keep that in my mind as well.

I also found the new RaceFace Arc 45 (just the rebranded Eastons, I assume) which would fit the bill nicely. Will have to do some reading..

Fanny Pack Mafia
    Nice, will keep that in my mind as well.

I also found the new RaceFace Arc 45 (just the rebranded Eastons, I assume) which would fit the bill nicely. Will have to do some reading..
    Some good advice above from bikeny

Yes the RF Arc is an Easton rim and a better option than the RH or Dually IMO. I'd build with 32h too.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Ugh, this is doing me head in. Thanks to all for the help and input - havenít really decided just yet what to do though. Time will tell, so Iíll make sure to post whenever itís all finished.

This place needs an enema
    Ugh, this is doing me head in. Thanks to all for the help and input - havenít really decided just yet what to do though. Time will tell, so Iíll make sure to post whenever itís all finished.

You've been given lots of good advice in this thread. Avoid the RH and Dually if reliable tubeless are prioritized.

Also, there are a handful of custom wheelbuilders in the US that will gladly ship to you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^ What Mike says. 50 mm seems wide to me. 35-40 is more popular these days, less sidewalls to scuff. I have both the WTB Asym and a spank ozzy spike, both in 35 mm. Strong, stiff and set up tubeless easy.

mtbr member
    ^ Maybe I really should take a less wide rim into consideration.

Oh, donít get me wrong - I really appreciate all the info. I just havenít decided yet. But as previously mentioned - and I donít wanna come off as snarky here - we donít have quite the same options here as you got in US. And build cost + shipping + customs would quickly add up..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No, not snarky. Lots of info to sift through. Amazon will ship anywhere. Lots of customs $$? Looked at some wheel building sites?

mtbr member
    ^ Yeah, the initial idea was to buy the parts myself and have a local shop build the wheel for me, but slowly starting to realize that's harder than I imagined. And yeah, started looking into wheel building sites (mainly UK).

Fanny Pack Mafia
    Have you talked to the people at your LBS? They likely have access to more resources and may be able to get you what you want.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    ^ Should definitely have another chat with my local shop, thatís true.