Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Surly Krampus

1M views 5K replies 646 participants last post by  Travolta 
#1 ·
#73 ·
Another picture from Facebook:

I want, but don't know why I want.
I have no use for a bike like this. I ride on pavement or gravel. Really this bike has no practical appeal for me.

I still want one.

Here's why:

I built up a Surly Ogre over the winter. I built it up as an urban bike, and as I did parts selection I specifically chose parts that wouldn't break over parts that were high performance. My motto was "I'm not building a bike that goes AROUND things. I'm building a bike that goes OVER or THROUGH things.". It's an awesome bike. This bike is my ogre, turned up to 11.

#1,223 ·
I riding Knards on Stans Flow rims without any problems. Someone else posted they had set Knards up tubeless on even narrower Stans Crest rims so I think you'll be fine on P35s.

I've got some P35s on my MTB [not with Knards] and I really like those rims.

I'm going to get some Rabbit Holes this summer once my bike budget replenishes. I figure since I am buying new rims I might as go as wide as I can since I'll be keeping the Flow wheelset if I ever feel the urge for a narrower Krampus rim.

#103 · (Edited)
I would venture to say that if weight was a real concern, this is probably not the bike for you. :D

That said, this looks awesome.

There are Lefty conversion kits for the Pugsley etc so I imagine it would, one way or another
Yeah, it should. P321 or Mendon Cycle is selling/making some Pugs Fatbike Lefty clamps for Lefty Max (clamped on, not bonded steerer clamps) forks. IIRC, Mendon (not affiliated, other than receiving awesome service from him) has some Lefty Max 140 alu forks with PBR dampers at a good price to go in those clamps. You just have to build the correct offset on the front wheel, and limit the travel of the Lefty Max fork so the tire doesn't hit the crown.

The forks are normally 140mm of travel, minus whatever it takes to clear the tire. For a regular 29er tire, the safe reduction is 30mm, leaving 110mm of travel.

#30 ·
Actually, that tire width might be nice on a 26er :D :eekster:

I'm not quite sure if it would fit in my current 26er frame that has pretty ample clearance for "normal" tires. Probably not.

... or a 26er size version of the wheels and tires might be great for a frame dimensioned for fat 650b