Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post
    The Karate Monkey fork is 15mm shorter
    On the Surly website Karate Monkey and Krampus forks both have the same lenght of 468 mm. Bug or feature?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hmmm, I could see leaving the BB drop the same to save having clearance issues with smaller 29" tyres, but making it less?!? What drugs were they taking?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Hmmm, I could see leaving the BB drop the same to save having clearance issues with smaller 29" tyres, but making it less?!? What drugs were they taking?
    The kind that make you smarter.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I hadn't been impressed with pictures of the tire width. They just don't do it justice. In this video the timber roller section....dang
    Surly Bikes @ Interbike 2012 - YouTube 1:10

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    that's a moonlander

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    that's a moonlander
    they sure did fool me

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

tao
    succinct
    Krampus, I want one.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    after much consideration this bike is too close and would be redundant to my rigid 29er with 2.4 tires. i have had a pugsly and it was great in the soft snow(sucked for any climbing), but the wide Q factor hurt my knees. was thinking this bike would replace that, but my 29er works just fine on most snow.

don't need a monster truck heavier version of the same bike. the krampus "is" fun to ride. just not versatile if i can't put on regular 29er tires/rims or even street tires due to having the BB too low. would be great if i was building a quiver of specialized(not the brand) bikes in my garage, but i am heading the other direction of getting back down to 3-5 bikes again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    after much consideration this bike is too close and would be redundant to my rigid 29er with 2.4 tires. i have had a pugsly and it was great in the soft snow(sucked for any climbing), but the wide Q factor hurt my knees. was thinking this bike would replace that, but my 29er works just fine on most snow.

don't need a monster truck heavier version of the same bike. the krampus "is" fun to ride. just not versatile if i can't put on regular 29er tires/rims or even street tires due to having the BB too low. would be great if i was building a quiver of specialized(not the brand) bikes in my garage, but i am heading the other direction of getting back down to 3-5 bikes again.
    Great insight. Superb.

Flow like water
    Insight is an interesting term for a bike we mostly do not have yet. I am waiting on my pre-ordered frameset. As soon as I know how this one works, I will write about it. Until then, it is just waiting. People writing about the Krampus either do have Knard tires, or they do not.

When rendering an opinion on the 29+, I would like to hear if you have actually ridden on Knards, and for how many miles or km.

mtbr member
    I just want a Knard to mount on the front of my rigid. I still think the Krampus is a cool bike, though I would probably never buy one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I must be the only one, but I don't like the metalic "bass boat" green...at least the pictures of it. Hopefully when it reaches full production other colors will be offered...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I just want a Knard to mount on the front of my rigid. I still think the Krampus is a cool bike, though I would probably never buy one.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Insight is an interesting term for a bike we mostly do not have yet. I am waiting on my pre-ordered frameset. As soon as I know how this one works, I will write about it. Until then, it is just waiting. People writing about the Krampus either do have Knard tires, or they do not.

When rendering an opinion on the 29+, I would like to hear if you have actually ridden on Knards, and for how many miles or km.

????????????????

when u assume..........anyways some of us were lucky enough to ride them in utah.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    I must be the only one, but I don't like the metalic "bass boat" green...at least the pictures of it. Hopefully when it reaches full production other colors will be offered...
    I've seen a few of the Krampus' and the Bass Boat green is fine, nothing stellar. At least it's not Brown (which to me is a bodily function, not a color). Having said that, if you're going to name it after a mythical creature from southern Bavaria, you could at least make it Baby Blue/White like the flag. Hey... I'm just saying that because I like real colors.

As far as buying the Krampus, I may have said it before but it's the first fat fike to come out that I've had any interest in whatsoever. I actually think most fat bikes are sinfully ugly (just my opinion). Sure I'll admit that my interest in the Krampus is, in large part, because it's a 29'er but also because it looks better to me than the others. I don't think I need another bike just for winter because I ride my regular bike all winter in the snow anyway. Strangely, there's just something about this silly bike that makes me want to ride it.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    ????????????????

when u assume..........anyways some of us were lucky enough to ride them in utah.
    And I was able to ride one for a while on a demo weekend in NC. I am not an experienced MTB rider, so do not consider my hour on a Krampus to be enough for me to compare it to the other bikes I've ridden. There are people with hours of trail time on the Knard. I'd like to hear more from them.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    I've seen a few of the Krampus' and the Bass Boat green is fine, nothing stellar. At least it's not Brown (which to me is a bodily function, not a color). Having said that, if you're going to name it after a mythical creature from southern Bavaria, you could at least make it Baby Blue/White like the flag. Hey... I'm just saying that because I like real colors.

As far as buying the Krampus, I may have said it before but it's the first fat fike to come out that I've had any interest in whatsoever. I actually think most fat bikes are sinfully ugly (just my opinion). Sure I'll admit that my interest in the Krampus is, in large part, because it's a 29'er but also because it looks better to me than the others. I don't think I need another bike just for winter because I ride my regular bike all winter in the snow anyway. Strangely, there's just something about this silly bike that makes me want to ride it.
    My pugsley is the most beautiful bike on the planet... I like a little junk in the trunk... Tired of all these skinny tire, lycra rocking bikes out there causing all other bikes to develop body image problems...

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    I rode the mighty Krampus for about 10-12mi this summer-I am waiting for mine now. I ride rigid with 2.4 Mtn Kings on P35's now. There was no comparison. On paper-they sound close-but in person-the Knard/Rabbit Hole blows this away by size. The Knard tread pattern is super fast-I rode the same trail on my current setup-and the Krampus was faster! Both bikes weigh about the same low 30lbs in XL. If you have not seen/rode a Krampus-don't second guess the size/ride....It is really a different monster!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I highly, highly, highly doubt that Surly would have gone through all this trouble and tooling costs and such to make this bike if it was "not that much different" from a 2.4.

I will be running a Rabbit Hole/Knard on the front of my Ogre, and my hope is that if I run a wide-ish rim on the back with a 2.4-2.5 that it will sort of kind of compliment the 29x3 on the front.

mtbr member
    Anybody know how many Krampus framesets and Rabbit Hole/Knards are left unspoken for? I haven't been able to find the pre-order sheet on Q's site for the past couple weeks...I hope I didn't miss my chance to order a frameset!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    As far as my LBS goes, they have the Rabbit Hole and Knard on Item Watch for me still but they aren't available yet to be ordered. So sayeth my LBS yesterday

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Has anybody figured out yet whether the Krampus will work with a Lefty, and if so, with a Lefty and a really short stem? It looks like I'm going to need a 50mm stem to fit right on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Has anybody figured out yet whether the Krampus will work with a Lefty, and if so, with a Lefty and a really short stem? It looks like I'm going to need a 50mm stem to fit right on it.

this looks to be the max tire width you can fit on a lefty. i don't know that version of the lefty if those arms are stock or custom
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    This isn't a Krampus question so maybe I should ask it somewhere else but those lefty monofork things look horrendous. The extra forces and moments you'd get from not supporting the axle on both sides are huge. I'd be scared to take that thing anywhere. And you probably wouldn't get much warning of a failure either, it will just one day crack and you do an endo. What's the scoop on their failure rates?
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    This isn't a Krampus question so maybe I should ask it somewhere else but those lefty monofork things look horrendous. The extra forces and moments you'd get from not supporting the axle on both sides are huge. I'd be scared to take that thing anywhere. And you probably wouldn't get much warning of a failure either, it will just one day crack and you do an endo. What's the scoop on their failure rates?
    zero failures........mark are you from a different country(or planet) that you have never seen these forks. been out for a long time and work better than standard two leg forks.

older models have had needle bearing problems and then if not fixed can come apart, but not from the lowers.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    No catastrophic failures, at least none where you wouldn't have expected it.

Your observations are old hat. Anyone that looks at one, is unfamiliar, and doesn't get to see them up close, says the same thing.

Much stiffer than forks of the same class, so beefier too.

ascarlarkinyar, the issues you refer to weren't bearing problems, it was an issue with a subcontractor not applying the anti-vibration compound correctly to the threads, so a few dampers unscrewed, and yes, a few folks met dirt. Frames fail, wheels fail, and we hit dirt often, when it does. Wouldn't be the first crash for them, likely won't be the last, as it is mounting biking after all.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I'm from a different era, I mountain biked the North Shore back in the day of the late 80's and 90's when mountain bikes were first coming out. Been out of the mountain bike trends for a while, spent more time bike touring. Getting back into it a bit now.

So you get ample warning the monofork thing is gong to break before it does? It won't last forever.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

So you get ample warning the monofork thing is gong to break before it does? It won't last forever.
    It lasts as long (or longer due to being utterly rebuildable) as any other fork out there, and gives the same level of warning should it fail as any other product.

The fact that it is single sided has no bearing whatsoever in terms of durability, longevity etc.

Typical defensive toss outs include fighter jets landing gear, and several brands of motorcycles rear ends all being single sided.

The idea is legit and proven.

Welcome to the modern age of engineering

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

get down!
    Why is this conversation even happening?! LOL

dude is Encino Man-ning this whole convo
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Lol Brandon Fraser movies...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

They last 20 minutes, before forever...
    ...if a Lefty breaks, and your not dead

You send it to...
    ...Mendon Cycle Smith, he will fix it for you!

Cause he is da bestest

So, have we determined that a Krampus will allow the fitment of a Lefty with a Rabbit Hole and Kanard? Assuming it will have to be spaced down. What would the travel be reduced down to?

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    They last 20 minutes, before forever...
    ...if a Lefty breaks, and your not dead

You send it to...
    ...Mendon Cycle Smith, he will fix it for you!

Cause he is da bestest

So, have we determined that a Krampus will allow the fitment of a Lefty with a Rabbit Hole and Kanard? Assuming it will have to be spaced down. What would the travel be reduced down to?
    Did a quickie estimate of RH/Knard clearance on a stock Lefty based on Surly's numbers and looks like there is barely any clearance between the side of the tire and the stanchion. Maybe MCS will conjure up a solution for the stock Lefty, maybe a modified one will work, we should know pretty soon...

Sadly, I am part of the same world as the rest who are waiting to find out if it'll fit.

Come on Krampus, come to papa....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nevermind
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 10-26-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What's it for? Riding. On trails. With my friends. Is it really that complicated? Yes, you could do that with a 26, space frame etc. I like rigid bikes - the ride, the simplicity - but having a little extra cushion, and a little extra grip, is very welcome. 29, 29 +, 26, fat, whatever, it's all good. Whatever floats your boat.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    I started sifting thru this thread in an attempt to figure out just what the heck a Krampus is for. On about page 8 I lost interest and skipped to the end to see some shot of hottie du jour posing w/ a matching bikini. Wow. Good to see that it only takes a short 18 pages before people stop arguing about what this bike is for.
    Oh-
    speaking of that, Surly has more overlap in their line up than any company I can think of in the time it takes me to type this sentence so really- What are those of you planning on doing w/ a Krampus? And please don't give me that "it's fun" defense. Heroin is fun. A dirt bike might be fun. People used to have fun on Pro Flex's. Heck, even 26ers are fun. I've even heard that a Space Frame is fun.

Cause its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Flow like water
    JensonUSA shows the Knard since a week or so ago.
    AVAILABILITY Nov 08, 2012

mtbr member
    the 26" version, though

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Cause its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    Your post was an elegant argument for quoting other posts in their entirety. Strong work, sir. Lesson learned.
    Responds to gravity

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    the 26" version, though
    You are right. How did I miss that? They list the size as 26 x 3.8 anyway.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if they Krampus frameset will come with the Monkey Nuts?

mtbr member
    Anybody who's ridden the Krampus: would you suggest getting some Monkey Nuts for the build (gonna be a 1x10)? What about a Tuggnut? Any issues with slippage or tire rub on the seattube?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode a krampus last week. It has monkey nuts but not sure if they are stock. The rear wheel slipped towards the brake side once. I tightened the skewer (it was way loose) and it never slipped again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    looks like a good fit for where I should go after being on a comfort bike for a little while. What have you added to it or upgraded recently? Anything break prematurely?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nostra View Post
    looks like a good fit for where I should go after being on a comfort bike for a little while. What have you added to it or upgraded recently? Anything break prematurely?
    You asking me about the Krampus? I only rode it for an hour. Nothing broken. The bike i rode still had the older chainstay yoke. There was an xl model there too with the production yoke which had more clearance and a cleaner look.

mtbr member

Any updates?

I read all 19 pages of the thread waiting to see if anyone had received their frames/rims/tires, but no luck. Don't get me wrong, Ms. Krampus was a nice bonus on page 18, but I'm still jonesing for the latest details on the hardware. When is delivery expected? Is the first run of frames/rims/tires sold out?

Also, how difficult do you think it'll be to run the RH/Knard tubeless?

mtbr member
    Looking forward to riding one of these at a Surly demo this weekend. If I dig it I hope some frames are still available.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    I hear ya. I'm already buying parts for the build and can't find the pre-order page anymore for the frames. I've got a sickening feeling that all of them are already spoken for I'm gonna have to build something with these parts..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just talked to Surly by phone and they said Krampus would be available in March, limited quantities

EX-RoadLice
    Would a Knard fit in a Dorado?

mtbr member
    JIC anyone might be interested. T-shirt design by Melita Curphy AKA "MissMonster"

Greetings from Krampus!

mtbr member
    I raced sport class downhill on a first generation lefty when I was in college. No problems with it.

BTW, Ducati puts a single sided swing arm on their race bikes, the 1199 puts out a reported 195 horsepower through that single sided swing arm. Doesn't seem to be any issues there.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

Slave to the grind
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Another shot of the Krampus

wooha look a the size of her tires!
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    wooha look a the size of her tires!
    It's not the size that's important, but the tire pressure (fullness) and how they fit on the rim

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    They should be called, "Plumpers" .

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    or BBW's

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can we please talk about the bike instead of how long it's been since you children got laid.

WNC Native
    Can someone out there that might be near a Krampus tell me what the tire diameter is at the widest peak of the knobs???

Emailed Surly also.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Just talked to Surly by phone and they said Krampus would be available in March, limited quantities
    Looks like Black Sheep got their hands on some. Surprised these have not been posted here from their FB page.

http://www.facebook.com/BLACKSHEEPBIKES?fref=ts

The hand built bike show should be pretty rad if some builders can get their hands on some of these tires!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-1665158_10151150192678553_1600206647_o.jpg  

Surly Krampus-1550851_10151150195728553_245784709_n.jpg  

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Looks like Black Sheep got their hands on some. Surprised these have not been posted here from their FB page.

http://www.facebook.com/BLACKSHEEPBIKES?fref=ts

The hand built bike show should be pretty rad if some builders can get their hands on some of these tires!
    Love that they're already putting them into an FS chassis.

Odd that they're running them on Flows. Probably all they could get ATM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What's more odd is that one lonely silver nipple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Love that they're already putting them into an FS chassis.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    This bike has a lot of appeal for me.

For the rocky stuff around the Moab suspension would be key.

Have people seen this?

Big Wheel Deals: Knardilicious Fox. Now with more Uma!

Witty McWitterson
    Sh!t Mike. If I had the ducats to grab that fork.....

Cannot wait to get my Krampus up and running.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any idea if my Fox F29 34 120mm fork from my Horsethief would work with the Knard 3.0?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    What's more odd is that one lonely silver nipple.
    It's not that uncommon for alloy nipples to blow out and be replace by brass ones.

But what do I know, I don't know nothing about bikes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiecycle View Post
    Can we please talk about the bike instead of how long it's been since you children got laid.
    you need to lighten up, get laid or something. seriously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu View Post
    It's not that uncommon for alloy nipples to blow out....
    From being hung upside down?

mtbr member
    From being hung upside down?
    wha? Being upside down is bad for the spokes you dumbass. They nipples don't care.

Flow like water
    I am so glad to see this thread back on track.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    This bike has a lot of appeal for me.

For the rocky stuff around the Moab suspension would be key.

Have people seen this?

Big Wheel Deals: Knardilicious Fox. Now with more Uma!
    3mm of clearance just ain't gonna cut it. Any time you lean the tire will rub the stanchion. If you lean hard it might lock up. Too bad it just ain't gonna work, not for real mtbing. And this is with a relatively skinny rim too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    3mm of clearance just ain't gonna cut it. Any time you lean the tire will rub the stanchion. If you lean hard it might lock up. Too bad it just ain't gonna work, not for real mtbing. And this is with a relatively skinny rim too.
    You could cut the top away, but not the stanchions to make more room, shame.

All forks will have pretty much the same stanchion width so give up on that.

Would a Leftie work ?? not much travel left I guess from the height of the tyre but better than no suspension maybe ??

mtbr member
    I'm not sure you are right. There seem to be at least 2 krampus being ridden with fox forks and no mention of issues..

evidence from bike jerks flickr
    Last edited by dRjOn; 11-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    I'm not sure you are right. There seem to be at least 2 krampus being ridden with fox forks and no mention of issues..

evidence from bike jerks flickr
    It fits but just barely.... a bit of mud or sticks a big rock could be scary
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    It fits but just barely.... a bit of mud or sticks a big rock could be scary
    Just wow negative rep over this? I seen the nard and fox combo in person and its not something i'd risk, just throwing my .02 out there
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just wow negative rep over this? I seen the nard and fox combo in person and its not something i'd risk, just throwing my .02 out there
    I'm betting the coward didn't sign the rep, either.

mtbr member
    I'm betting the coward didn't sign the rep, either.
    That is rep on this forum complete bullship.

mtbr member
    bullshitt, bullship

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ha ha, just got this neg rep:

"Surly Krampus 11-18-2012 07:27 PM good point"

Idiots like this guy makes people like fotu look not as d0uchey.

mtbr member
    Ha ha, just got this neg rep:

"Surly Krampus 11-18-2012 07:27 PM good point"

Idiots like this guy makes people like fotu look not as d0uchey.
    dude, are you in love with me or what?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Don't makes this all weird.

mtbr member
    Maybe if you want to lighten it up for some reason. Carbon 29'er Tapered Fork
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Size tires?

Sup
    anyone know if this tire rim combo fits a niner carbon fork
    I need some reliable winter suspension for my single speed

Thanks
    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I really, really wish they'd do away with the rep. thing. It's kind of like who's the most popular kid in middle school. Any given day it's someone different. I've been on this forum for 10 years or something and I think I've got one brick. Weird. If it's not obviously explained or understood, do away with it.

Regarding the Krampus and suspension.... I still don't understand the need but that's me again....the non-suspension guy. Would love to be able to at least test one but that's kind of like asking to for a ride on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer here in Germany. If I want to try it I'll have to buy one.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    anyone know if this tire rim combo fits a niner carbon fork
    I need some reliable winter suspension for my single speed
    SJ, i too looked at this a few weeks ago and believe it will fit.

Heres a couple of the similar pics i found from a few weeks back. I currrently run 2.4RR front and back on my One9 and always seem to be looking at this thread when im away from my bike so have not actually measured my own bike.

The tyre in the pic is a 2.5 Kodiak and the Knards are 30.4" high, the Kodiak must be near to 29.5", IIRC Ralphs are close to that too.

Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Sup
    I have to admit I didn't read the whole thread Ozzy but is there a real world width measurement on these
    I think this tire would be perfect for taking the edge off of roots

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    I have to admit I didn't read the whole thread Ozzy but is there a real world width measurement on these
    I think this tire would be perfect for taking the edge off of roots

Sj
    Start Here

Surly does have information available on their web site.

Fat & Single
    Nice one davyray !
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Sup
    I usually don't trust manufacturers but the numbers look good so thanks guys

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    It wasn't me. I think I have only given neg once of twice since the feature was added, period, but perhaps what they were reacting to is the fear of going beyond liability induced standards. Like all the press about not being able to run 650 tires in 26er forks. On Fox forks there is absolutely no interference and yet Fox and MTBAction both say don't do it or you could die.

I don't have a Knard yet so I don't know how tight they really are but if it fits it fits.

I have a 650 wheel in Pace fork and on steep down ramps with quick transitions or some drops the tire will rub on the crown if I don't have enough comp dampening dialed in and make a fair amount of noise, but if it wasn't for the noise I wouldn't know it even happened. It does not slow you down perceptively even with a ton of weight over the bars.

So while some mud may slow you down I doubt it would send you over the bars and as far as a rock or a stick, if they were big enough, they could stop a tire with legal clearance too and a little rock or stick will likely just pass through as the tire keeps rolling.

There can always be a perfect storm but fair weather is more likely.

Imo.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    So, who all has one of these puppies on order? I missed my chance, and will be waiting 'til spring for a frameset, I'm afraid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Finally jumping to a "29er", eh sasquatch? It should "fit" you better than that 1x1.

From what 3 bike shops told me thus far, even the framesets may be scarce come spring time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    SJ, i too looked at this a few weeks ago and believe it will fit.
    When I measured my Niner cf fork, I didn't get the impression the Knard/RH combo would fit, but I used a totally non accurate measuring method (tape measure and eyeball), so hopefully someone with some calipers can give us a more definite answer. This would be a great combo I think, although the Rabbit Hole with an Ardent 2.4" would probably do well also.

Sup
    spam reported

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    When I measured my Niner cf fork, I didn't get the impression the Knard/RH combo would fit, but I used a totally non accurate measuring method (tape measure and eyeball), so hopefully someone with some calipers can give us a more definite answer. This would be a great combo I think, although the Rabbit Hole with an Ardent 2.4" would probably do well also.
    Im not sure on the rabbit hole rims, but i reckon they will just about fit on my current 29" front wheel.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Sup
    reported
    wish a krampus would grab these spammers and drag them to his layer to become dinner

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sure glad the first Krampus deliveries will actually begin very soon.
    New threads are needed to take the place of this "War and Peace" length saga.
    Last edited by BluNosDav; 11-23-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 551