Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142
Results 4,101 to 4,193 of 4193

Thread: Surly Krampus

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Older KM owner here. 29x3 will fit in the back? Hmmm. Running front der, fender and rack, that might need to change I'm guessing.
    on the new km frame. sorry i forgot that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    On my road bikes I adjust the caliper brakes so as the wheel spins and stops you can tell it's not binding because it starts slowly rotating in the other direction for a bit before completely coming to a stop.

I can't seem to quite get there with my disc brakes on the Krampus. I've never owned a bike with disc brakes before... is this an unreasonable expectation? If not, any tips on getting this adjusted just so?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    This is my skinny Krampus. I bought the frame used and swapped all the parts over from my Karate Monkey. I like the way the Krampus handles much better. I plan to build some real plus wheels, upgrade the fork, and will probably have to go 1x.

Attachment 1138874
    Quoting myself here for context.

I am toying with the idea of buying a new Krampus. I have a Manitou Magnum fork on order. My plan was to put the fork on the Krampus, build up a new set of wheels (Rabbit hole rims, boost front hub to fit the fork, 135 rear hub), go to 1x (new crank, cassette, maybe new rear derailleur and shifter). Adding up the total, I think I could sell what I have and buy the new Krampus for about the same total cost. The new frame is marginally different (longer, lower, etc). I like the idea of that. The downside is that the stock build on the new Krampus isn't the highest end. It's serviceable, but what I have now is a little better.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Took my custom Krampus on her maiden voyage yesterday. She seems quite happy in Colorado. What a magnificent machine. Surly nailed it. Climbs and descends great and is fast, nimble and, yes, fun!

It's my first plus bike coming off of a light cross-country single speed with a squishy fork. After taking demo rides on the Woodsmoke and Karate Monkey it confirmed the Krampus. I ordered the frame without having ridden one off road and couldn't be happier with my choice.

The Woodsmoke 29+ was a blast but I don't trust press fit bottom brackets. Also, I was expending a lot of energy keeping the front tire planted on steep climbs. Other renters left some alarming dings in the carbon frame.

The KM was great too. I just wanted more rollover and don't feel like I sacrificed much of anything in nimbleness.

Build kit:

Sram X1 crank
    Absoluteblack 30T oval chainring 3mm boost offset
    Sram X1 shifter/GX derailleur
    TRP Spyke brakes 180/180
    WTB Ranger tires
    Stan's Baron wheels
    e*thirteen 9-44-tooth cassette
    WTB Volt Pro saddle
    Crank Brothers Highline dropper post
    Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals

Not that I really care, but it came in under 28 pounds. (size medium)

One odd part about the build. I'm presently running a 725 mm carbon handlebar and 70 mm stem, which was sitting around in the parts bin. I don't know if I'm sold on the super-wide bars but may settle on 750 mm. Surprisingly, I didn't feel like I was missing much leverage with the narrower bar and it certainly came in handy when negotiating trees.

Surly Krampus-img_0209.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Looking great! Any plans to add a suspension fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    No, not on planning on adding a suspension fork just yet. I'm having a lot of fun riding it as is. Singlespeeding taught me to choose efficient lines and maintain momentum, so I'm going to see how far I can push a rigid frame. Love the simplicity and reliability. The Karate Monkey I rode had a Yari fork, Reverb dropper and Dirt Wizard tires. It was a real trail beast but harder to pedal uphill, probably because of the heavy tires... more than anything.

mtbr member
    Plan to get her dirty tomorrow: new to me Krampus frame, 2018 29+ pike...
    Surly Krampus-image.jpg
    Surly Krampus-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Love the black on black above, nice job man. Not sure if I posted before here, but this is my eKrampus (1000W motor with 140mm Pike). Awesome bike and loads of fun on the trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Looks badass. Have fun. You're going to love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Here's my new Krampus. I guess it's a 2017. I've converted it to SS and removed everything that it doesn't need to go. Also set it up tubeless. Comes in about 29 pounds. I spent a week riding it around Hermosa, Colorado geared and just loved it! It's kinda heavy but carries it's weight well! Friday I'm heading up to Kansas City to race it in the Single Speed Kansas City race. Should be fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-river.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    By the way, I'm sad I can't mount a bottle cage to the seat tube. I need another water bottle where I can get it more than I need a dropper seat post. Maybe I'm in the minority. Otherwise I love it! It really wheelies good.

Old Fart Swamper
    Fourthousandonehundredeleven posts and counting.

The mountain bike hall of fame should have this bike as the first one you see when you walk In...
    “I seek only the Flow”, "27.5+ Hard Tails Rock"
    My Scooter : 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by unclechet View Post
    By the way, I'm sad I can't mount a bottle cage to the seat tube. I need another water bottle where I can get it more than I need a dropper seat post. Maybe I'm in the minority. Otherwise I love it! It really wheelies good.
    bums me out too. im considering a karate monkey for that reason.

any idea what the stock wheels and tires weigh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yes, that's my only complaint as well. However, I have an Anything Cage on my size medium. It carries a two-liter bottle on the down tube no problem. The bottle mount situation is the same on Karate Monkeys for the medium to smaller sizes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I don't have any idea on the weight of the wheels or tires. It was very easy to set the wheels up tubeless however and that saved a couple of pounds. The tires might be heavy but they grip really well and I think they'll stand up to sharp rocky trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I don't have any idea on the weight of the wheels or tires. It was very easy to set the wheels up tubeless however and that saved a couple of pounds. The tires might be heavy but they grip really well and I think they'll stand up to sharp rocky trails.
    You took two tubes out, added 4+ ounces of sealant and LOST two pounds!? Those were some crazy heavy tubes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_PDX View Post
    You took two tubes out, added 4+ ounces of sealant and LOST two pounds!? Those were some crazy heavy tubes!
    That's how Surly is cutting costs they are putting those cheap 2 pound tubes in the bikes. They think we would have never noticed. Good thing this forum has gotten to the bottom this scandal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    That's how Surly is cutting costs they are putting those cheap 2 pound tubes in the bikes. They think we would have never noticed. Good thing this forum has gotten to the bottom this scandal.
    They're big tubes! My scale is an old spring scale so who knows. It certainly feels like it spins up faster. Glad I could make you laugh……...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What size tubes are guys using for trailside emergencies? Those 3.0 tubes are huge and heavy. I've heard of some plus riders carrying regular 29er tubes.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindude View Post
    What size tubes are guys using for trailside emergencies? Those 3.0 tubes are huge and heavy. I've heard of some plus riders carrying regular 29er tubes.
    29er tubes do work, but they're stretched pretty thin once they fill up the 3.0 tire. If you're somewhere there's thorns or sharp rocks be extra careful, and definitely feel around the inside of the tire for any leftover sharp stuff, but I can confirm normal 29er tubes do work and that's what I've been carrying.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey! What kind of fenders are those and where can I get them? I have an ogre/ecr and I'm trying to get it fit. It's already failed sks and planetbike due to limited tire clearance. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrang View Post
    Hey! What kind of fenders are those and where can I get them? I have an ogre/ecr and I'm trying to get it fit. It's already failed sks and planetbike due to limited tire clearance. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    I am not sure what post you are referring to, but Big O Manufacturing sells fender kits specifically for 29x3.0 tires. They sell online. No experience with them, but plan to get a set for my new Krampus before the wet season.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

FWIW: Duro Crux 3.25x29 fit on new 2017 Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I am not sure what post you are referring to, but Big O Manufacturing sells fender kits specifically for 29x3.0 tires. They sell online. No experience with them, but plan to get a set for my new Krampus before the wet season.

Dear Folks: Not wanting to start new thread so...
    Just put on Duro crux 3.25x29's front and back on 2017 Krampus, purchased from Jeff Jones. IMHO, WAY nicer than stock dirt wizards, although DW's were very grippy. DC 3.25's more supple, more Cush, and noticeably less rolling resistance than DW 60 TPI's. You just cant slam them all the way forward, thanks for all the great info!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbikenewbie View Post
    Just put on Duro crux 3.25x29's front and back on 2017 Krampus, purchased from Jeff Jones. IMHO, WAY nicer than stock dirt wizards, although DW's were very grippy. DC 3.25's more supple, more Cush, and noticeably less rolling resistance than DW 60 TPI's. You just cant slam them all the way forward, thanks for all the great info!!!
    Do you have pictures?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone tried regular 29x2.5 tyres on the 2017 Krampus? Any BB height issues?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kirkwood View Post
    Has anyone tried regular 29x2.5 tyres on the 2017 Krampus? Any BB height issues?
    If you go back a few pages, I posted pics and my impression of the Krampus with 29x2.4 tires. I love it. I have less pedal strikes than I did with the same setup on a 2016 Karate Monkey frame, so no BB height issues for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry, for once I didn't read through first! I knew I would get caught out!

Thanks CJ I will go and have a look. The geometry of the new KM & Krampus appear very similar I have to say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    CJ your comments were in relation to the older green Krampus, it's BB clearance on the 2017 model running 29x2.5 I am interested in. The thing is I have never tried 29x3 before and on the chance that I don't like it I just want to be assured that 29x2.5 will not cause pedal strikes if I make the change to the narrower tyres.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sorry, for once I didn't read through first! I knew I would get caught out!

Thanks CJ I will go and have a look. The geometry of the new KM & Krampus appear very similar I have to say.
    No problem, I just didn't want to retype my post. The old KM had a 68mm BB drop. The 2017 is 55mm. The Krampus went the other way, from 60 to 65mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    CJ your comments were in relation to the older green Krampus, it's BB clearance on the 2017 model running 29x2.5 I am interested in. The thing is I have never tried 29x3 before and on the chance that I don't like it I just want to be assured that 29x2.5 will not cause pedal strikes if I make the change to the narrower tyres.
    Good question, going back to the old Karate Monkey, which was designed for 29x2.4 and had a 68mm BB drop, I'd say it would work. I did have more pedal strikes than I cared for with that setup, so keep that in mind. If you put a suspension fork on your new Krampus, that will raise the BB, FYI.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks CJ.... so a 120mm suspension fork should raise it a little over the stock rigid is that correct?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks CJ.... so a 120mm suspension fork should raise it a little over the stock rigid is that correct?
    Yes, depending on what fork you get. The Manitou Magnum 120mm 29+ fork is 550mm a-c, so that will raise it a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    mine's practically new and up on ebay (the only one listed) if anyone fancy buying one - it's an L frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Found a 2014 Surly Krampus on local CL for $900. Saddle will be included but no pedals (I ride flats anyway). I'm currently bikepacking with my 29er hardtail but would like a more dedicated bike, preferably with plus tires, for bikepacking.

Does this sound like a decent deal? I'd like to be able to sell it without losing money, if I find myself wanting to go back to bikepacking with a hardtail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-9ewi0sj.jpg  

mtbr member
    That seems like a fairly decent deal. I paid $900 for mine, in really excellent shape. That bike looks like it's been loved a bit -- some wear and tear -- and modifications -- different bar, lay-back post, qr rear hub. A fantastically solid ride for bike-packing!

Just make sure nothing's bent or cracked and offer 'em $825! :-)

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicscreen View Post
    That seems like a fairly decent deal. I paid $900 for mine, in really excellent shape. That bike looks like it's been loved a bit -- some wear and tear -- and modifications -- different bar, lay-back post, qr rear hub. A fantastically solid ride for bike-packing!

Just make sure nothing's bent or cracked and offer 'em $825! :-)

Good luck!
    Thanks. Going to check it out tonight and probably getting it if the frame looks to be in good shape. From the photos, the paints looks fantastic, no idea why the decals are off.

The rear mech has also been swapped out for x9 shifter and x0 derailleur. Supposedly for upgrading?

mtbr member
    About anyone here knows more about this stuff than I do, so don't put much stock in my opinion! Good fun.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hello all

I've decided to get off my fat ass and really start riding this thing. I found a trail that I can take to work! Even has a couple campsites along the way, I included a pic of the best one....it's about 4 miles from the nearest town.

Does anyone know the best mudguards for the Krampus? There's a shallow water crossing and a fair bit of mud.

This bike is awesome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-img_0819.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Seriously pics would be nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The BB heignt on my Legacy Krampus with 2.4" tyres is 325mm and I have no issues with pedals strikes.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    I've had the crux on my ice cream truck for a while now, and really like them. They roll well, but still great traction. A very supple sidewall seems to allow them to go through rock gardens with ease. I also just put one on the front of my first gen Krampus.

On velocity dually rims, the casing width only measures 3", but tread is 3.25" wide. These tires are much taller than other 29+ tires. The diameter maxes out the rear of my ICT, and I had to remove the seat-tube strap on my frame bag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Well SSKC got rained out so I missed that chance to race my Krampus. Next on the list was the "Tour De Lizard" mountain bike race at Camp Horizon in Ark City, Ks. For the last few years it's been part of the Tour De Dirt series out of Oklahoma. A lot of riders come up from Oklahoma to race this race. I think they had a good turn out. The trail at Camp Horizon is pretty darn rocky and technical IMHO. Here's a pic of me at the finish line and dropping in at the trail head during the race. And yes, the Krampus performed beautifully! I really like it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-cop1.jpg  

Surly Krampus-cop.jpg  

noob bikepacker
    Well SSKC got rained out so I missed that chance to race my Krampus. Next on the list was the "Tour De Lizard" mountain bike race at Camp Horizon in Ark City, Ks. For the last few years it's been part of the Tour De Dirt series out of Oklahoma. A lot of riders come up from Oklahoma to race this race. I think they had a good turn out. The trail at Camp Horizon is pretty darn rocky and technical IMHO. Here's a pic of me at the finish line and dropping in at the trail head during the race. And yes, the Krampus performed beautifully! I really like it!
    I like seeing a fully rigid Krampus at the races!!!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I like seeing a fully rigid Krampus at the races!!!
    I think I was the only one not running at least a front suspension. The big tires and low air pressure works pretty darn good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I think I was the only one not running at least a front suspension. The big tires and low air pressure works pretty darn good!
    Are you running the stock Dirt Wizards? What's your tire pressure?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Surly Krampus-img_3014_edit_small.jpg

I took the Krampus on its first (and mine) bikepacking mission. Totally loving this thing. It carried everything without complaint on Colorado's Alpine Loop. I'm still trying to find the right dropper post-compatible seat bag. Loaded or unloaded, the Krampus covers mixed terrain with remarkable efficiency and comfort. I had one of the best descents of my life.

mtbr member
    I'm still trying to find the right dropper post-compatible seat bag.
    have a look at this: https://www.arkel-od.com/en/bikepacking-bags.html

Do you need a dropper when BPing?

Apparently it is dropper compatible. Watch the video.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Are you running the stock Dirt Wizards? What's your tire pressure?
    Stock tires set up tubeless. 15 psi but I think I could have been running 12. Some more experimentation is required.

mtbr member
    What a gorgeous shot, Mountaindude. Strong work!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    have a look at this: https://www.arkel-od.com/en/bikepacking-bags.html

Do you need a dropper when BPing?

Apparently it is dropper compatible. Watch the video.
    Thanks for the link. Interesting product. I had not heard of that one. Yes, I do need my dropper for bikepacking:

1. I'm too lazy to switch it out.
    2. I have a Wolf Tooth Valais, which provides a quick fix should the dropper fail. Also, the part doesn't weigh anything and takes up little space.

@Magicscreen Thanks for the kind words regarding the photo.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link. Interesting product. I had not heard of that one. Yes, I do need my dropper for bikepacking:

1. I'm too lazy to switch it out.
    2. I have a Wolf Tooth Valais, which provides a quick fix should the dropper fail. Also, the part doesn't weigh anything and takes up little space.

@Magicscreen Thanks for the kind words regarding the photo.
    http://www.bedrockbags.com/gear/blac...opper-seat-bag

Supper nice stuff...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

60tpiDirtWizard to 29" DuroCrux to 29" Terrene McFly Light

Quote Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
    Seriously pics would be nice!
    Formerly Fatbikenewbie, now Fatbikefan. Ran all the above tires on y new 2017 Krampus, GO BUY the Terrene McFly Lghts!!! They r about 2 lbs lighter than the 60tpi DW which come stock on new Krampus, and I felt the Duro Crux just too much tire (true 3.25") for my wimpy riding. Duro Crux weighed in between DW and Mcfly. I may try a Duro Crux front and McFly Light rear for late fall season prior to going to my Blackborow. Great problems to have!!! I also just came back from the Salsa Bikecamp weekend for my first bikepacking/camping weekend. I'm hooked!!!! Sorry for rambling & pls point me to where to learn how to EASILY upload pix.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Pick "Go Advanced". It's not too hard to upload pix. Please do, I'd like to see your set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatbikefan View Post
    Formerly Fatbikenewbie, now Fatbikefan. Ran all the above tires on y new 2017 Krampus, GO BUY the Terrene McFly Lghts!!! They r about 2 lbs lighter than the 60tpi DW which come stock on new Krampus, and I felt the Duro Crux just too much tire (true 3.25") for my wimpy riding. Duro Crux weighed in between DW and Mcfly. I may try a Duro Crux front and McFly Light rear for late fall season prior to going to my Blackborow. Great problems to have!!! I also just came back from the Salsa Bikecamp weekend for my first bikepacking/camping weekend. I'm hooked!!!! Sorry for rambling & pls point me to where to learn how to EASILY upload pix.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Fatbikefan Krampus w Duro Crux 29x3.25 showing clearance.

Surly Krampus-img_0324.jpgsorry for the upside down picture, my Krampus w revelate bags and Duro Crux 29x3.25 tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-img_0288.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

fatbike fan krampus (right side up...) w Duro Crux 3.25's

Surly Krampus-img_0324.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbikefan View Post
    sorry for the upside down picture, my Krampus w revelate bags and Duro Crux 29x3.25 tires.
    Upside down pic was in error, thx!

Gravity...mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_w_sage View Post
    Here are a few pics of my Krampus after a rebuild. New powdercoat, carver ti bars, Hugo rims, and a new lefty. I also cut some custom 29+ stickers for the lefty. I still need to get around to a slight trim job on the front brake hose

IMG_4454 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4457 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4459 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    IMG_4460 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
    Curious about your Lefty setup - I'm considering a Lefty project for my ECR. What Lefty did you use?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Fatbikefan, Were you able to get the Duro Crux slammed fully forward or did you have to pull them back in the dropouts??
    Last edited by Rasky; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to add info

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasky View Post
    Fatbikefan, Were you able to get the Duro Crux slammed fully forward or did you have to pull them back in the dropouts??
    With the Duro Crux 3.25's, I was not able to be slammed forward, I would say right about middle/center, gave me OK spacing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

back to rigid....

Surly Krampus-2017-10-21-19.39.49-2.jpg

Legacy Krampus (size L) with rigid forks back on and -2 degree headset. WB is at about 1160mm and BB is 305mm.

I recommend the -2 degree headset even with the rigid fork as it also steepen the ST angle for better climbing and drops the BB to an almost silly height.

Partially in response to https://www.pinkbike.com/news/riding...s-opinion.html which I think is a silly bit of clickbait. The original article by Bike Snob had some merit.

I have been running 140mm Pikes and put the rigid forks back on for a change. I am surprised how capable the bike is even with no suspension.

Next step is single speed and true mtb Nirvana (but need a bit more fitness first).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-10-21 19.39.49-2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	1163711

Legacy Krampus (size L) with rigid forks back on and -2 degree headset. WB is at about 1160mm and BB is 305mm.

I recommend the -2 degree headset even with the rigid fork as it also steepen the ST angle for better climbing and drops the BB to an almost silly height.

Partially in response to https://www.pinkbike.com/news/riding...s-opinion.html which I think is a silly bit of clickbait. The original article by Bike Snob had some merit.

I have been running 140mm Pikes and put the rigid forks back on for a change. I am surprised how capable the bike is even with no suspension.

Next step is single speed and true mtb Nirvana (but need a bit more fitness first).
    I agree with the rigid VS suspension. I ran my green Krampus with a Manitou Magnum for over a year (awesome fork BTW), but I love the way this bike handles with the stock rigid fork the best. Crazy fun and capable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I asked in the Krampus thread over in the Surly forum, but I think this one gets more traffic, so forgive me if I cross-post it here, too.

Is anyone running a non-boost crank with a 1x11 setup on a 2017 Krampus? If so, any issues with the chain rubbing on the tire in the largest cog? Any other issues? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I asked in the Krampus thread over in the Surly forum, but I think this one gets more traffic, so forgive me if I cross-post it here, too.

Is anyone running a non-boost crank with a 1x11 setup on a 2017 Krampus? If so, any issues with the chain rubbing on the tire in the largest cog? Any other issues? Thanks!
    I'm running non boost shimano slx cranks with a 1x11 setup on my 2017 Krampus and have a 29x3 DHRII on 35mm ID rims. No chain rub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I'm running non boost shimano slx cranks with a 1x11 setup on my 2017 Krampus and have a 29x3 DHRII on 35mm ID rims. No chain rub.
    Awesome, thanks!

Now I want to be greedy. How much chain clearance to the tire is there? I'd love to run Duro Crux tires on 45mm internal width rims.

Ride On
    Any Krampus owners have experience riding both the legacy and current version? I'm particularly interested in hearing about the shorter chainstays and if they negatively impact the smooth ride characteristics of the legacy version?

Thanks!
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks!

Now I want to be greedy. How much chain clearance to the tire is there? I'd love to run Duro Crux tires on 45mm internal width rims.
    At the closes point between the tire and the chain I have a hair over 1cm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Noosa - is that Minions 2.4 you are running? If so how is BB clearance? Or do you have 140mm up front?

Also, has anyone got a weight for the new Krampus frame?

mtbr member
    Noosa - is that Minions 2.4 you are running? If so how is BB clearance? Or do you have 140mm up front?

I'm running 3.0 minions with a 140mm travel fork.

mtbr member
    At the closes point between the tire and the chain I have a hair over 1cm.
    Hey cjbiker, I run my rear wheel slammed but if you go with 45mm rims you may have to slide the wheel back in the dropouts a bit so the tire does not it the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I finally measured the STA on my Krampus with the -2 degree Headset. STA (centre BB to centre seat post) = 75 degrees and ESTA (centre BB to centre seat) ~77 degrees.

It climbs amazingly well even with the 67.5 HA, 50mm stem and 38mm rise bars. You could drop the bars a bit but it will affect handling going down.

wanna ride bikes?
    Yup, same as the old one. It's not light so if weight is your top priority I suggest you look elsewhere. If your looking for a fun, durable, affordable frame then the Krampus will be sweet.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Erm.... and the old one was?

Weight not my top priority (or I wouldn't be looking at Surly) but am still interested to know. Am trying to decide between a Krampus and Monkey so would like to know frame weights for both, but can't find much info on the net.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Found it, 6.25 lbs for XL Krampus frame.

No information on new KM though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Found it, 6.25 lbs for XL Krampus frame.

No information on new KM though.
    my red large frame complete out of the box weighed 34.2lbs. Put 120tpi dirt wizards on it and went tubeless, then it weighed 31.85lbs.
    Not a gram counting weight weenie, but.
    also, one ride and I am super pumped on this bike. might be my only mtb for now.

AOK
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    not the best pic but put on 275 3" tires. chronicale in back and DHF in front. Its more sporty with the 275 3 tires and still rolls over everything in it path.Surly Krampus-krampus7.jpgSurly Krampus-krampus8.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by imtb View Post
    not the best pic but put on 275 3" tires. chronicale in back and DHF in front. Its more sporty with the 275 3 tires and still rolls over everything in it path.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krampus7.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	1166002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krampus8.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	1166003
    damn....the mini tank rolling along!!!!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    How are the forks. They look awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    AOK - What are you moving on to?

AOK
    mtbr member
    AOK - What are you moving on to?
    I have been so happy with my Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol that I decided to give the Pedalhead a try. I am planning to run 29 x 2.6 and see how I like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hi Folks

very soon my girlfriend and I shall each receive a Krampus size M and L and we both are more comfy with 32 t rings up front.
    Surly states 30 t boost ring max. I kind of struggle to believe this as there seem to be a few photos around with larger rings eg. on the outer tabs of a 2 by spider.

Has anyone installed 32 t boost ring? Does it work?

I don't really want to flip it as I'm afraid to mess up the chainline.

turtles make me hot
    Surly Krampus-img_1483.jpg

Finally found some time to dish my wheels and mount up tires. I'll try and wrap it up for a ride soon.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Is this a new Krampus or Legacy? If Legacy I am currently running a 32t oval (31-34) and it is tight but works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    Is this a new Krampus or Legacy? If Legacy I am currently running a 32t oval (31-34) and it is tight but works.
    This years Krampus. Thanks anyhow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinum View Post
    This years Krampus. Thanks anyhow
    Don't know if this helps but I run a regular 32t raceface chainring on standard cranks on this years Krampus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Don't know if this helps but I run a regular 32t raceface chainring on standard cranks on this years Krampus.
    It does, cheers.
    What's regular to you, a non boost direct mount?

mtbr member
    Also curious about chainring clearance.
    Currently have a AB 32T oval on a XT triple, so 48mm chainline.

Wonder how it will go in a 2017 Krampus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinum View Post
    It does, cheers.
    What's regular to you, a non boost direct mount?
    This is the chainring I use. https://www.raceface.com/products/de...de-single-ring

Not a great pic of the crank/chainring but it is what I have right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm looking for a legacy Krampus fork with uncut steerer tube. Does anyone have one hanging around that they would be willing to sell?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just put on Maxxis dhf and dhr for shoulder season riding to replace my old WTB Rangers which were getting a little warn. Yesterday's ride was about a quarter snow and ice and the tires did great, really glad Maxxis made these available. This set up is with a Manitou Magnum 100mm fork, which I got on a deal otherwise I probably would have gone with the 120. No regrets though since the geometry stayed pretty close to stock and I have never really felt I needed much more suspension yet. Next upgrades are some Shimano or TRP hydraulics and a solid dropper post (not sure which 27.2 dp I should go with).

Surly Krampus-2015-surly-krampus-32497_8.jpg

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by max5480 View Post
    Just put on Maxxis dhf and dhr for shoulder season riding to replace my old WTB Rangers which were getting a little warn. Yesterday's ride was about a quarter snow and ice and the tires did great, really glad Maxxis made these available. This set up is with a Manitou Magnum 100mm fork, which I got on a deal otherwise I probably would have gone with the 120. No regrets though since the geometry stayed pretty close to stock and I have never really felt I needed much more suspension yet. Next upgrades are some Shimano or TRP hydraulics and a solid dropper post (not sure which 27.2 dp I should go with).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-surly-krampus-32497_8.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	1167712
    That right there is a proper looking Krampus!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by etwarnick View Post
    I'm looking for a legacy Krampus fork with uncut steerer tube. Does anyone have one hanging around that they would be willing to sell?
    I've got a brand new uncut steerer in green. LMK

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    @nitrous The bike looks great. I'm running XT. They're fairly powerful (200mm F 180mm R) and easy to bleed. I would take a brake with mineral oil any day over brake fluid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    This is the chainring I use. https://www.raceface.com/products/de...de-single-ring

Not a great pic of the crank/chainring but it is what I have right now.
    highly appreciated. 32 t with a 50 mm chainline. With a boost crank (+3 mm) 32 t will surely fit

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Members who have read this thread: 545