Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,900 of 4058

Thread: Surly Krampus

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Jeff Jones sells the 3.25 29+ tire

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I just purchased a Krampy and am waiting for it to arrive. I have been looking into suspension options and have narrowed it down to two. Either the Manitou Magnum Pro or the Lauf TR Boost. I will primarily be using this bike for bikepacking/amateur singletrack riding/winter commuting so I'm kind of leaning towards the Lauf. However the second place third option is getting the Lauf Carbonera 26 Fat/29+ fork in which case if I build the new front wheel up with a 150mm fat hub I can use the same fork with my Surly ICT. So many damn options! Discuss!

noob bikepacker
    You will love the bike...and i am curious as to how the new ones feel versus the "legacy" ones....

as far as front squish, I can't comment since I personally bought my Krampy because of its full rigid splendor! I run the tires at about 17 psi, and that is enough squish for me. i have never been a proponent of squish in either front or back so i am not versed in that world.

I am also using mine for the exact same reasons as you...winter riding in general, mostly flowy singletrack and eventually bike packing. I have a 2015. The biggest thing I have had to get used to is doing short climbs on it. Like little steep grade "techy" climbs. I was riding an old Trek Mountain Track 830 for years, and it's rear end was longer...plus the whole wheel size difference. At first (and sometimes still...) the Krampus tends to get away from me on those climbs...I am still experimenting with where I have to put my body weight versus the pedal speed and lead foot placement as I enter the climbs. I tend to put myself to far back and pedal too hard I think. But that is part of the fun...ride more, get better!

I also ride it at the local skatepark to develop some skills, and to "cross reference" with my BMX riding, and we also have a local BMX type racing track with some table-top dirt jumps and a pump track that I ride it on. It is very fun there as well. The short rear end is awesome as I a m getting more used to it.

Possibly gonna do my first bike packing trip on it this spring or summer on the CO, GAP trail from Pittsburgh to DC. This will depend on some funds falling into the right place.

Keep us in the loop about the bike!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Another option:

I'm running a Fox Float 32 29RL (a few years old now so not boost or 29+ compatible) on mine and it fits Knards and Dirt Wizards. There's not a lot of mud clearance on the Knard but fine for dry riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamperAK View Post
    I just purchased a Krampy and am waiting for it to arrive. I have been looking into suspension options and have narrowed it down to two. Either the Manitou Magnum Pro or the Lauf TR Boost. I will primarily be using this bike for bikepacking/amateur singletrack riding/winter commuting so I'm kind of leaning towards the Lauf. However the second place third option is getting the Lauf Carbonera 26 Fat/29+ fork in which case if I build the new front wheel up with a 150mm fat hub I can use the same fork with my Surly ICT. So many damn options! Discuss!
    I'll be putting the Magnum on mine once they become available a few months down the road...

What size are you ordering? Frame or complete?

mtbr member
    It's not just you! I'd like to know if the 3.25 fits under the ("Legacy") Krampus... How'd your friend's fork clearance work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Official check shortly but it seems that a Duro Crux 3.25 tire on a 50mm rim WILL FIT in the Krampus. Just installed on my ECR without issue. My buddy with a Krampus fork is rushing over to try it. Likely we are the only ones interested but just in case, now you know.

All that talk of 2.4 tires was bumming me out!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc View Post
    I'll be putting the Magnum on mine once they become available a few months down the road...

What size are you ordering? Frame or complete?
    It's actually a complete last year's krampus in a size small. Got it for a good deal brand new. My buddy has a size small that he built up from the frameset and has a manitou magnum pro installed. It definitely changed the geometry but not in any sort of bad way.

mtbr member
    It's actually a complete last year's krampus in a size small. Got it for a good deal brand new. My buddy has a size small that he built up from the frameset and has a manitou magnum pro installed. It definitely changed the geometry but not in any sort of bad way.
    Nice!!! Love the swamp green.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Also love the Swamp Green.

Does anyone have a RAL code for it as I want to get my new bike painted the same colour. Have spoken to Surly and the said it was a special.

Training for the Darwin's
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    Also love the Swamp Green.

Does anyone have a RAL code for it as I want to get my new bike painted the same colour. Have spoken to Surly and the said it was a special.
    Take a Krampus to a place that sells car paint and have it matched.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Anyone ever try B fat in the rear? Like maybe a 3.8 Hodag...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    will give it a go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc View Post
    Anyone ever try B fat in the rear? Like maybe a 3.8 Hodag...
    This would be great if it fit, but I can't believe we have clearance for that. If you find out otherwise, please let me know!

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by Magicscreen View Post
    This would be great if it fit, but I can't believe we have clearance for that. If you find out otherwise, please let me know!
    I thought I remember reading that a 3.8 hodag would clear the Manitou Magnum...

Just curious if anyone had tried one in the rear. Certainly would be awesome for winter use!
    Last edited by ghughes.hesinc; 02-02-2017 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    will give it a go.
    Great! Let us know how you make out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    if your plan to go fast, Lauf is the answer but the downside is the limit of tyre clearance. Read:Max capacity is a 2.35″ wide tire

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Anyone know if the rockshox revalation fits a kramp? Havent been able to find anything on anyone trying....
    Just wondering because I can snag a new 2014 model for about $100 less than the yari.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Surly Krampus-p2190159.jpg

here my krampus build, float 34 with hans dampf 2.35

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So sad seeing a Krampus with a fork that can't take 29+ #let down by the industry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    You would probably squeeze a 29+ in there. I had DW and Knards on my regular Float 32.

The best bit about the Krampus is how normal they look with standard 29 tyres - they're such a versatile bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey all. Building up a Krampus right now from the frame and have some questions on the build. I have everything except the drivetrain and tires.

I'll probably build it with full Sram NX 1x11 30t chainring up front 11-42. Do you think this is a good idea? I'm trying to stay on the cheap, so NX seems like it's up my alley and from what I've read most people thing the 32t stock tooth was too stout (although perhaps that was only paired with the 36 max cassette cog).

Also, I'm thinking about tires, primarily between the Ranger, Knard, and Dirt Wizard. The Dirt wizard seems a little chunky for my taste and I've measured them on 2.75+ and they weren't quite 3" anyway. The ranger seems like it has a nice roundness similar to the knard but with a little more traction. My only hesitation on the ranger is that the knobs seems very close together and not very good at shedding mud.

Other than those questions, I'm thinking building it simply with a rigid fork, rabbit hole rims, and running split tubeless. Thanks for any suggestions ant tips.

Max

Old Fart Swamper
    3,821 posts..THREE THOOUUSSAND eight hundred and 21 posts.

The Krampus has got some legs dontcha know :P
    “I seek only the Flow”, "27.5+ Hard Tails Rock"
    My Scooter : 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Max,

I was running a 10 speed 30t with 12-42 cassette and Zee mech. 30t x 42t is good especially if you have the grip.

Knards are also not grear in mud but are great on dirt. I was running some 120tpis on 30mm internal rims. They got a bit squirmy when pushed hard. I also had 60tpi dirt wizards which were great but heavy at 1300g per tyre. Really depends on where you are riding and how you ride.

Martin

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Osco - That's probably because it is the most versatile mountain bike frame that has ever been made.

Mayor of Waterdog
    Quote Originally Posted by max5480 View Post
    Hey all. Building up a Krampus right now from the frame and have some questions on the build. I have everything except the drivetrain and tires.

I'll probably build it with full Sram NX 1x11 30t chainring up front 11-42. Do you think this is a good idea? I'm trying to stay on the cheap, so NX seems like it's up my alley and from what I've read most people thing the 32t stock tooth was too stout (although perhaps that was only paired with the 36 max cassette cog).

Also, I'm thinking about tires, primarily between the Ranger, Knard, and Dirt Wizard. The Dirt wizard seems a little chunky for my taste and I've measured them on 2.75+ and they weren't quite 3" anyway. The ranger seems like it has a nice roundness similar to the knard but with a little more traction. My only hesitation on the ranger is that the knobs seems very close together and not very good at shedding mud.

Other than those questions, I'm thinking building it simply with a rigid fork, rabbit hole rims, and running split tubeless. Thanks for any suggestions ant tips.

Max

Your drivetrain choice sounds good to me especially if you're gonna do any real climbing. I've got a 1x10 on mine, but running a 30t with a wolf tooth 42 out back and she climbs relatively well.

Personally I didn't like the stock knards. They're terrible mud tires and only seemed good on harder surfaces. Like others will tell you, depends on where you're riding. I'm running maxxis Minion dhf up front and Chronicle in the back and I am very happy with them where I ride.

I just made my Krampus tubeless by building up the rim bed with one layer of foam door sealing tape, then two passes with 2" gorilla tape. Has held beautifully.

Since she's not built yet, now would be the time for some framesaver type treatment too. Whatever build you end up with, you're gonna love your Krampus. Enjoy!
    “We bring Saturdays” ~ Homme

noob bikepacker
    I have the Knards on mine, and agree that they don't shed clay-like mud well. I am going to try Gravity Vidars here this Spring. I do like the Knards for dry conditions, gravel and rolling on pavement on the way to the trail though. I think the tread blocks are just too close to let the mud fly off, and too sloce when the mud is packed in to them...to the point that they almost become rounded in certain cases.

I love it that you are going with the rigid fork, and definitely get the framesaver treatment!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My question: Karate Monkey or Krampus?

Details: I'm 5'10". I plan to use the bike for a bit of trail, a bit of fire road cruising, a bit of day bikepacking and a bit of riding to the brewpub with friends. I'm not an aggressive mountain biker. I have several other bikes, I just really like the practicality of Surly's offerings and want to get something I can thrash a bit and not worry about scratching up. I'm going to go with the stock complete build. I'll probably get a dropper post and I plan to keep the bike rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post

Details: I'm 5'10". I plan to use the bike for a bit of trail, a bit of fire road cruising, a bit of day bikepacking and a bit of riding to the brewpub with friends. I'm not an aggressive mountain biker. I have several other bikes, I just really like the practicality of Surly's offerings and want to get something I can thrash a bit and not worry about scratching up. I'm going to go with the stock complete build. I'll probably get a dropper post and I plan to keep the bike rigid.
    I don't know if there is a price difference between the too, I would go with the Krampus for the rollover capability of those 29+ tires.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    I don't know if there is a price difference between the too, I would go with the Krampus for the rollover capability of those 29+ tires.
    Good question. Is the red '17 Krampus actually available anywhere? I can't find it or see pricing anywhere.

The KM is easy to find and costs $1,400. The '17 Krampus has the same exact build as the KM (except for the wheels / tires of course) and the same frame tubing. I guess I assumed they'd cost about the same, maybe $100 more for the Krampus. If the Krampus costs several hundred more than the KM it's not worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

I think either would be great for what you describe. The biggest difference between 29+ and 27.5+ is 29+ feels closer to a fat bike. The rollover on the the 29+ is great. What you describe is also how I ride my ECR, it is perfect for that. I had a hard time choosing a Krampus vs ECR. The new 27.5+ KM looks great. So does the Ogre, but they aren't going to offer it as a 27.5+ option, just capable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hey all. Riding season is nearly here in MI. Cant wait. My qustion is will this older left work for my krampy?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If it's a 9qr. 😂

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    If it's a 9qr. 😂
    Heh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc1111 View Post
    Heh?

I am antipating a wheel rebuild...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm making a joke about the factory 9mm QR axle. That's all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm making a joke about the factory 9mm QR axle. That's all.
    Took me a minute... my brain works pretty slow after work lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hello fellow Krampus enthusiasts!

I just finished building up my Moonlit Swamp Krampus and took it for its inaugural shred trip down to Moab. After riding the new Karate Monkey I immediately knew that Surly's tweaks on the KM and Krampus were not for me and feel like the OG Krampus is superior - So I quickly found a frame on eBay and built one up at the local shop (Saturday Cycles is the best shop in SLC, for anybody who's in the area). Here are the results:

Surly Krampus-2015-surly-krampus-32497_5.jpg

Check out the full gallery and build details here.

Max

Mayor of Waterdog
    She looks good, Max...enjoy! They're a blast to ride, don't ya think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I've just put a pair of 120mm Pikes on mine and had the first ride today. So far so good. Will post piccys once I take some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've just put a pair of 120mm Pikes on mine and had the first ride today. So far so good. Will post piccys once I take some.
    A pair? I believe the Krampus will only accept a single Pike fork.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    A pair? I believe the Krampus will only accept a single Pike fork.
    Lol, I was thinking............ A Pair of Pikes, I want to see this!!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    sorry to disappoint it is only a single fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

I just finished building up my Moonlit Swamp Krampus and took it for its inaugural shred trip down to Moab. After riding the new Karate Monkey I immediately knew that Surly's tweaks on the KM and Krampus were not for me and feel like the OG Krampus is superior - So I quickly found a frame on eBay and built one up at the local shop (Saturday Cycles is the best shop in SLC, for anybody who's in the area). Here are the results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-surly-krampus-32497_5.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	1125832

Check out the full gallery and build details here.

Max
    I'm curious to hear what you like better about the original Krampus over the new model.

Mayor of Waterdog
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I'm curious to hear what you like better about the original Krampus over the new model.
    I'm wondering how he likes the 11-46 XT cassette that he's running.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i have both a krampus and an ict with 29+ wheels and my feeling is the slacker geo means the front end wanders more when climbing but it goes downhill just a wee bit easier...

i wonder about the cassette too...been in that situation more than once where i was still wishing for a bailout gear while riding on the 42...

mtbr member
    Looks great, Max. Where did you get the Krampus for the head tube? I really like it.

I just finished building up my Moonlit Swamp Krampus and took it for its inaugural shred trip down to Moab. After riding the new Karate Monkey I immediately knew that Surly's tweaks on the KM and Krampus were not for me and feel like the OG Krampus is superior - So I quickly found a frame on eBay and built one up at the local shop (Saturday Cycles is the best shop in SLC, for anybody who's in the area).

Max

Mayor of Waterdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicscreen View Post
    Looks great, Max. Where did you get the Krampus for the head tube? I really like it.
    Krampus

I think he found it here

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks! I'm not sure it's worth $70 to me, but it's good to know things like that exist.

Thanks again.

Mayor of Waterdog
    No problem...you could always make one. I made this creepy dude for my Krampus head tube this winter and posted it a while back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-img_4248.jpg  

mtbr member
    That is really cool! I actually like it better.

How'd you do it?

Mayor of Waterdog
    Thanks man!

I snagged a piece of 1/8" aluminum from work, drew my Krampus face on it and used engraving bits in a Dremel to engrave it. Then I hit it with black spray paint and immediately wiped it off of just the high spots so it would be color-filled. Then curved it using a metal tube, wood blocks and my bench vise. Last I clear coated it and stuck it on my head tube with double sided VHB tape. Took about 3 hours total.

mtbr member
    Strong work! And now you're an artist! Thanks again.

Mayor of Waterdog
    Went for my first ride today after converting my Krampus to 1x11. Ended up going with a Shimano M8000 derailleur and shifter with a Sunrace 11-46 cassette. Decided to go with the Sunrace cassette since I didn't think I'd like the 37-46 jump on the XT cassette.

The quality of the Sunrace cassette looks great. The finish may not be as polished as a Shimano or SRAM cassette as it took a little more effort to get the 15t cog onto my brand new, flawless, stainless King freehub body, but it's pretty dang close.

My absolute favorite part of the new drivetrain has got to be the feel of the shifter. Coming from my 10 speed SLX shifter/derailleur combo, the new lever feels buttery smooth by comparison. Dumping 3-4 gears with one swipe of the shifter paddle as the trail turns upward has never felt so good or been so fluid.

I'm very happy with the performance overall. I think I'll be able to reserve my new 46t bailout gear for special occasions since I was able to muscle up everything on today's ride maxing out on the 40t ring where I'd typically be using my 42t Wolftooth cog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-img_4373.jpg  

Surly Krampus-img_4369.jpg  

Surly Krampus-img_4365.jpg  

Surly Krampus-img_4374.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    nice! im considering some new i9s for the krampus and blunt35s..

Mayor of Waterdog
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    nice! im considering some new i9s for the krampus and blunt35s..
    That sounds awesome and i9 makes killer stuff for sure.

I built the Rabbit Hole with the King hub after busting one of the original Shimano pawls at the bottom of a long, torturous climb. Decided I wanted a more robust rear hub than what she came with after that ride.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I just got WTB 35mm rims laced to DTS 350 hubs, couldn't beat the price so I made an impulse buy. Set them up tubeless this afternoon with a newer set of Chrons, lost 5-7mm at the widest point of the tire plus the profile is nice and round, as opposed to flat and squashed.

I'll shred around on Monday and report back on my feelings, the wheelset was less than $250 so I figure I'll thrash them until I can justify something fancier.

Disclaimer: I'm the guy that got bored or the predictable boringess of the 50mm RH w/ 3.0 tires so I wrapped the wheels in 2.4 mountain kings and have been blasting around, destroying the sidewalls because they are so so so so flattened out from sitting on such a wide rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    much as i love me some rabbit hole rims when i put the ss wheels on blunt35s with the wtb ranger light casing it was like a whole new bike,much easier to spin up ss...plus im thinking of taking the pro4's off the krampus wheels and slapping those on the new cross check...the krampus it working great as a ss and i have 29+ wheels for the ict on rabbit holes with wtb ranger tough casing for getting ugly....but i bet the krampus with a 1x11 and lighter wheels would be pretty dang fun

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Yeah, I was riding that 2.4 on the RH and having a blast with the regained sketchiness, I missed all the "oh shit" moments on descents when I wasn't getting crazy 3.0-at-15psi-grip. I was looking for twitchy-ness and I definitely got it!

Mayor of Waterdog
    I've got another SS rigid 29'r and I'm still digging the RHs myself. I bet some lighter wheels would be fun on her tho. A couple of those gangster ENVE hoops would work if money was no object. I better start saving now

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I think these 35s will do me just right, I love the Maxxis Chronicles but was bored of the steamroller nature of the bike.

I need something that makes me think, choose lines carefully, etc., it is the reason some of us are riding hard tails and not full squish.

Mayor of Waterdog
    Yeah...I'm definitely spending more time and money on my rigid whips and paying less attention to my FS bike these days

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    You could start selling them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Lastchance - Im now running MK3 flows and theyre great. My Blunts were getting a little beat up - the rear has 5-6 big dents and a cracked spoke hole.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hamsterspam - add a pair of 120mm Pikes and a -2 degree Works Component headset and its a full sus killer.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Lastchance - Im now running MK3 flows and theyre great. My Blunts were getting a little beat up - the rear has 5-6 big dents and a cracked spoke hole.
    I definitely hear mixed things about the Blunts but these WTB i35 ASYM or whatevers seem pretty solid for the price, plus going from 2.4 on a 50mm to 3.0 on a 35mm seems like a good compromise for weight, drag, and the mental game of seeming a nice, round tire profile.

I don't ride super low pressures and hit trails pretty aggressively so I sit at around 18-20psi tubeless for the 3.0 tires and never really had issues smooshing out any of the 3.0 tires I rode, I was at 26-28psi for the 2.4 which turned the outer rotative mass into a wagon wheel of unforgivingness.

Mayor of Waterdog
    Hamsterspam - add a pair of 120mm Pikes and a -2 degree Works Component headset and its a full sus killer.
    My buddies already can't hang with the Krampus on descents. Once those hoops reach top speed, I'm gone. Choppering out the front end and adding a Pike would make these bikes real beasts

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    My buddies already can't hang with the Krampus on descents. Once those hoops reach top speed, I'm gone. Choppering out the front end and adding a Pike would make these bikes real beasts
    100-120mm corrected, it doesn't get that slack, but whatevs, slack is all the rage right now anyway. Any bit of "chopper" you get from adding a susfork is negated by the increase in pleasure.

I found the full rigid Krampus completely unbearable, it's awful for the style of riding I do, there aren't enough bragging rights or silly looks on the trail that would lead me to put the Krampus back to full rigid. It's like driving around a Honda with cut springs, all bouncy and uncomfortable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    I've got another SS rigid 29'r and I'm still digging the RHs myself. I bet some lighter wheels would be fun on her tho. A couple of those gangster ENVE hoops would work if money was no object. I better start saving now
    yeah,my original vision of the krampus i wanted lime green i9s but ended up with the hopes since thats what the shop could get,and now i have actually tried an i9 hub so i really want them now...

im old and chicken shit when it comes to descending and far prefer thusly to crush the climbs rather than bomb downhill and im not a fan of the slacker front end thing since i notice the front end on the ICT tends to wander...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Surly Krampus-img_0401.jpg

For posterity.

Mayor of Waterdog
    100-120mm corrected, it doesn't get that slack, but whatevs, slack is all the rage right now anyway. Any bit of "chopper" you get from adding a susfork is negated by the increase in pleasure.

I found the full rigid Krampus completely unbearable, it's awful for the style of riding I do, there aren't enough bragging rights or silly looks on the trail that would lead me to put the Krampus back to full rigid. It's like driving around a Honda with cut springs, all bouncy and uncomfortable.
    The addition of a fork won't chopper it out, but the -2* headset would

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I don't notice that shit, I went down almost 1/2" changing tires and the world panicked because my BB was "dumped" and "way too low", didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mayor of Waterdog
    I'd be less likely to notice a lower BB myself too, unless I'm smacking crankarms on rocks. A slacker front end would be more noticeable to most riders. It would obviously be a blast when pointed downhill and harder to handle when climbing. Just saying

mtbr member
    May 2016
    For sure. I ride pretty varied trails, a wide range of them too, so I guess a lot of those subtle nuances are just that to me, subtle. I guess I just let the bike do it's job and hold on the best I can.

Mayor of Waterdog
    I ride a bunch of different types of terrain as well. Some fast, steep, flowy that's got fantastic traction and some very narrow, tight, slow rocky stuff with marbles on concrete type traction. I guess we're all lucky to have found a very versatile bike that can be built up to suit so many riding styles

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Maiden voyage on the 35mm rims with Maxxis Chronicles was insane, I definitely missed the added plushness of big tires. Maxed out at 28.9mph on the downhill portion too, a personal best for that trail.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Yep. 35mm rims with 3.0 tires is where it's at. That's all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just got WTB 35mm rims laced to DTS 350 hubs, couldn't beat the price so I made an impulse buy. Set them up tubeless this afternoon with a newer set of Chrons, lost 5-7mm at the widest point of the tire plus the profile is nice and round, as opposed to flat and squashed.

I'll shred around on Monday and report back on my feelings, the wheelset was less than $250 so I figure I'll thrash them until I can justify something fancier.

Disclaimer: I'm the guy that got bored or the predictable boringess of the 50mm RH w/ 3.0 tires so I wrapped the wheels in 2.4 mountain kings and have been blasting around, destroying the sidewalls because they are so so so so flattened out from sitting on such a wide rim.
    WTB i35's on DT 350's for under $250 a set??? I assume that was a one time deal only. If not, please share...

mtbr member
    Yep. 35mm rims with 3.0 tires is where it's at. That's all.
    I'm pretty sure that's the sweet spot too, whether b+ or 29+. I'm trying to justify a 3rd set of wheels here.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    WTB i35's on DT 350's for under $250 a set??? I assume that was a one time deal only. If not, please share...
    Amazon, my man. $252.02 shipped, no prime. They're more expensive now but still a steal! These are the jam, I've ridden them hard for the last few weeks with zero issues. 9QR front and rear means zero mods to the stock Krampus.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Amazon, my man. $252.02 shipped, no prime. They're more expensive now but still a steal! These are the jam, I've ridden them hard for the last few weeks with zero issues. 9QR front and rear means zero mods to the stock Krampus.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    That's a great deal!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks! Is there really a restriction on the cassette size? Will it take a late model 11speed?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    No idea. I bought the wheelset and swapped my stock cassette with no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Reaching out to you Krampus owners. Seriously thinking of adding a suspension fork after two years of ownership. The rigid stock fork has a 483mm of ac with a 47mm offset. I am running Chpacabras on Blunt rims. There seems to be 3 valid options:

Manitou Magnum (100, 120 and 130 mm)
    Fox 34 27.5+ (120mm that can be lowered to 110mm)
    RS Pike 29+ (120mm)

I use mainly the bike for bikepacking. What do you think would be the best option to stay close to the caracteristics of the original fork taking into account sag?

Thanks for you help guys.

F

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fthefox View Post
    Reaching out to you Krampus owners. Seriously thinking of adding a suspension fork after two years of ownership. The rigid stock fork has a 483mm of ac with a 47mm offset. I am running Chpacabras on Blunt rims. There seems to be 3 valid options:

RS Pike 29+ (120mm)

I use mainly the bike for bikepacking. What do you think would be the best option to stay close to the caracteristics of the original fork taking into account sag?

F
    I have a Fox Float 32 100mm (new) take off bought from eBay. It was cheap and has performed great, I completely thrash the thing.

You'll need to grind out the arch to hell but I haven't had any issues yet.

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by fthefox View Post

RS Pike 29+ (120mm)

F
    I could not imagine having any squish on a bike that is already going to be loaded with the weight of gear, so I am in the "Stay rigid" camp. I hate any kind of climbing with suspension...when I pedal, I want all of the energy going through the frame and out of the tires.

Just my 2 cents...
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I could not imagine having any squish on a bike that is already going to be loaded with the weight of gear, so I am in the "Stay rigid" camp. I hate any kind of climbing with suspension...when I pedal, I want all of the energy going through the frame and out of the tires.

Just my 2 cents...
    Not having a squishy fork is joint/back/shoulder suicide imho. I rode a squishy fork (100mm w/ lockout, so not super moto) for about 6 months before throwing the rigid fork back on, bad move, slowed me way down and made for a much much much less enjoyable shredsesh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i've been debating getting a sus fork for the krampus for a while...after having to bail on part of a ride last weekend because the pounding flared up an old injury in my wrist and i couldnt hang onto the bars and use the brakes at the same time going downhill,and that just made the opposite shoulder start going out...partly it was due to riding singlespeed and i could really have used a pair of bars end to put my wrist in a more neutral position for all the out of the saddle climbing,or some jones loop bars...

but....i far prefer feeling like i know what the front end of the bike is going to do...maybe im getting a bad impression of sus forks by having a bluto which can be alarmingly noodley at the wrong moments,but im also bad at fiddling with shock settings to dial the thing in so....dont know if a different,perhaps better fork would be the answer...

getting old sucks...im not so interested in shredding as much as simply being able to continue to ride...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    i've been debating getting a sus fork for the krampus for a while...after having to bail on part of a ride last weekend because the pounding flared up an old injury in my wrist and i couldnt hang onto the bars and use the brakes at the same time going downhill,and that just made the opposite shoulder start going out...partly it was due to riding singlespeed and i could really have used a pair of bars end to put my wrist in a more neutral position for all the out of the saddle climbing,or some jones loop bars...

but....i far prefer feeling like i know what the front end of the bike is going to do...maybe im getting a bad impression of sus forks by having a bluto which can be alarmingly noodley at the wrong moments,but im also bad at fiddling with shock settings to dial the thing in so....dont know if a different,perhaps better fork would be the answer...

getting old sucks...im not so interested in shredding as much as simply being able to continue to ride...
    I promise, dude, getting a sus fork was an absolute game changer for me. In Colorado full rigid is absolute suicide, I did it for months to be "that guy" charging trails on a non-suspended steel bike because I had never ridden sus anything and was worried about reliability, weight, cost, whatever...

It was stupid, it was awful, the bike is so GD bouncy on the trail, positive tire contact was nil, everything felt like it was going to rattle off, and so on. Nothing about riding a full rigid bike in CO is fun, unless you're strictly on gravel roads with zero technical aspects/bumps/rocks.

Once I bought a fork, modified it to fit big tires, then fitted it... It was an entirely new experience: I could charge harder, traction was better, everything was more comfortable, I was faster into corners, faster out of corners, happier climbing, etc. I would never go back to a rigid fork after having 500+ miles on a sus fork.

Perhaps I'm just using the bike wrong? Maybe I'm stretching it's purpose to fit my needs?

SIDENOTE: I have a BMX (street, not racing) background so I've spent my entire life on full rigid bikes and was insanely skeptical like most Krampus riders of sus forks, super paranoid about reliability, breaking something, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2016

On shock settings - I was the same, no idea what to do, watch the Fox video on setting sag and rebound, that's all you need to get dialed in. I set the sus fork up MONTHS ago this way and haven't done anything with it since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thats the thing here,im just not going to be doing any hard charging,a couple of recent wrecks that should have been minor occurrences ended up being far more hurtful than stalling out and falling over would merit....after an active life,cycling is the last thing i can still do with minimal pain so in the long run i think im better off slowing things down...so in that regard the bluto with the 29+ wheelset on the ICT is fine,i dont really need to be able to careen downhill at breakneck speed,more along the lines of keeping my joints happy on long washboard dirt roads and the endless variety of rock gardens around here..

Mayor of Waterdog
    I'm also sticking with my rigid Krampus fork. I have a great Fox Float 36 which is a burly fork with insane adjustability that just goes where you point it, mounted to my full suspension bike and it rarely gets ridden. I've also recently pulled the suspension fork off of my SS and put the steel fork back on it. To me, rigid bikes are just more fun to ride...on most trails.

mtbr member
    Ergon grips really improved this for me. It distributes the load over a larger area, and puts my wrists in a better position. I like the cork grips.

Good luck to you. Agreed that getting old sucks - but it beats the alternative!

mtbr member
    Ergons and carbon bars will help, but a squish fork is totally different.
    Right now I'll just thankful I can blast the rigid and enjoy it.

noob bikepacker
    Not having a squishy fork is joint/back/shoulder suicide imho. I rode a squishy fork (100mm w/ lockout, so not super moto) for about 6 months before throwing the rigid fork back on, bad move, slowed me way down and made for a much much much less enjoyable shredsesh.
    well, when bike-packing I am rarely worried about shredding... I am worried about proper use of energy and durability. Even on the regular trail I don't worry too much about shredding. I leave shredding to the skatepark and my BMX.

I am lucky that my body is not too beat up after years of riding and playing hockey...in 10 years I might be feeling different about squish, but right now I don't need it. NOT saying that if you (or anyone) need it or like it that it is wrong. I am not in tha tcamp. Ride what ever gets you out there!!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    well, when bike-packing I am rarely worried about shredding... I am worried about proper use of energy and durability. Even on the regular trail I don't worry too much about shredding. I leave shredding to the skatepark and my BMX.

I am lucky that my body is not too beat up after years of riding and playing hockey...in 10 years I might be feeling different about squish, but right now I don't need it. NOT saying that if you (or anyone) need it or like it that it is wrong. I am not in tha tcamp. Ride what ever gets you out there!!
    You're not in that camp YET. 😉

and I suppose for the record I'm not beat up, nor am I 40 yet but the return on riding full rigid just isn't there for me. I'm way faster/comfy with a sus fork, plus you guys all live in Wisconsin. 😂

mtbr member
    Wisconsichusetts, that is.

Mayor of Waterdog
    Santa Cruz mountains, WI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-img_4465.jpg  

Surly Krampus-img_4460.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Serious question: has anyone seen the red 2017 version of the Krampus on sale anywhere?

mtbr member
    Serious question: has anyone seen the red 2017 version of the Krampus on sale anywhere?
    LBS told me they would be available on 5/15 give or take a few days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Surly told me June at the earliest !!!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 590