Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,800 of 4106

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks! And I doubt I would notice the difference in travel either.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jujuyak View Post
    Thanks! And I doubt I would notice the difference in travel either.
    Where do you live? Do you need the 120mm? Will you be making big moves up/down big features?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nah. Live in TN. Looks like the 100 has non sagged A-C of 530. Probably going to go with that one. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2016
    👍🏼 good deall

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    I had the same issue when I bought my frame. I am 6'1" with a 35" inseam (bare feet). The XL has a nice long ETT length but the stand over was too high. I ended up going with a L which is fine for stand over but probably an inch shorter than I would have liked on the ETT.
    i'm 6'3" and have a 34.5-35" inseam and i have no issue with standover on a XL frame. you may want to check your measurements again?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    i'm 6'3" and have a 34.5-35" inseam and i have no issue with standover on a XL frame. you may want to check your measurements again?
    ^agreed.

Why measure standover with barefeet? Do you ride barefooted?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jujuyak View Post
    I've decided to buy a manitou magnum for my krampus. I read the thread on krampus with front suspension. Trying to decide between 100 and 120 mm. Leaning 120 but don't wanna change geometry too much. Open to suggestions...
    I have the 120 on my Krampus. I does change the geo, but not in a bad way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

my rig

Surly Krampus-dsc_0011.jpg
    Been following/lurking this thread for quite some time now.
    Build up my own Krampus early this year and can't even express how happy I am with it. Set up as 36/21 SS.

The bike is a pure blast to ride. Traction is unheard of and what was most astonishing to me is how well 3" the tires roll. They eat up small bumps so much that it almost feels like riding on tarmac.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    @lastchance The lemond formula measures inseam with bare feet. I blindly followed it but agree that it should be measurd with riding shoes on to give a more accurate measurement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    @onespeed I bought the frame second hand. If I was buying new I would have tried both L and XL. The ETT on the XL is nice and long which would have been good. Saying that my L does fit fairly well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Surly Krampus-2.jpgSurly Krampus-14670626_10205803294520838_6141776945089853524_n.jpg

Finished my Krampus build just a month or so ago and have been putting some serious miles on it! I love it, it just RIPS!

Medium Frame
    120mm Fox 34 27.5+ Fork
    DT Swiss 350
    Easton Arc 40
    QBP Employee Color "Bruised Baby Blue"

hispanic mechanic
    Sharp looking ride, yo.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor623 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-2.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	1105906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14670626_10205803294520838_6141776945089853524_n.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	1105907

Finished my Krampus build just a month or so ago and have been putting some serious miles on it! I love it, it just RIPS!

Medium Frame
    120mm Fox 34 27.5+ Fork
    DT Swiss 350
    Easton Arc 40
    QBP Employee Color "Bruised Baby Blue"
    OMG!!! LOVE the color!! If I was going to change mine it would be to that...but I also love the green I have
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Also love the colour.

Old Fart Swamper
    3714 posts,, wow !

These Surly Krampus bikes,,, wow,,

Seen one once,
    Single speed,
    Big Dude riding It,
    Only saw It for a second,
    That big dude was fast,
    One of the most beautiful bikes I ever seen, that green was mean :P
    ďI seek only the FlowĒ, "27.5+ Hard Tails Rock"
    My Scooter : 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    @lastchance The lemond formula measures inseam with bare feet. I blindly followed it but agree that it should be measurd with riding shoes on to give a more accurate measurement.
    Who cares about standover? How much time do you spend standing over the bike while it's completely upright? Why?

I've ridden all over the place and even when I was a newbie to mountain biking this concept of being able to standover a bike never made any sense to me. It always seems like people have found something totally useless and minuscule to complain about. Standover, weld sizes, seatstay curves, pointy elbows, etc.

Old Fart Swamper
    I racked my Jewels once really hard, On the top tube, I was crashing.
    Stand over height was not a factor, never has been for me...

I know how to dismount my bike, doesn't everyone ?
    ďI seek only the FlowĒ, "27.5+ Hard Tails Rock"
    My Scooter : 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus

noob bikepacker
    yeah. I don't understand the whole "standover" thing either. For me, it is the chainstay length and the TT length more then anything. That is from riding BMX for so long I guess.

Part of the reason I got a Krampus was b/c of the short rear end...it rides like a BMX to me. I got a medium size, though everyone who fit me said I should have got a large given my height and inseam, but it felt too big for me overall
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    I've ridden a few bikes where I was literally touching the TT when standing and never hit the "boyz" on the TT when riding or crashing.

The one downside to a high TT for bikepacking is that at the end of a really long day [12hrs+] I get clumsy/tired and throwing a leg over the bike can be a hassle. That said I'm not going to optimize my bike for that relatively rare situation.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I need sizing help. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseem. Will a small Krampus be too small for me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    I need sizing help. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseem. Will a small Krampus be too small for me?
    I am the same height and inseam. I fit a medium Krampus, but I certainly wouldn't want one any bigger. It felt bigger than a medium ECR. I've never tried a small Krampus, but I wondered if I could get by with a small.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've got a small, and wish I had a medium. Wanna trade frameset?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How long are your arms, Drummerboy? Do you have a mountainbike now? What make, model, and size is it? What is the saddle-height from
    The center of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle? What length stem? Do you use an offset seatpost? If so, is
    Your saddle
    Pushed all the way back, all the way forward, or in the middle? Did you have a good fitting on that bike? How high are the bars? Are they riser
    Bars, do you have a lot of steerer tube exposed with spacers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Definitely medium

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anybody have any new pics from a recent demo? Dying to see some real world pics especially with the steel fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So I'm picking up a nice used 2015 Krampus. Yea me! Anyway, what's the lowest pressure you can run in the Knard without pinch flats?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So I'm picking up a nice used 2015 Krampus. Yea me! Anyway, what's the lowest pressure you can run in the Knard without pinch flats?
    That depends on if you're tubeless, the rim, your terrain, your riding style, your weight. There's a plus tire pressure thread that might get you started near to what's best.

Calgon, take me away!
    If you feel the rim hit bottom on a rock/root, you are in jeopardy of getting a pinch flat, or may have already gotten one. You shouldn't be running tubes anyway. But even tubeless if you feel the rim bottom you either need more pressure or to ride lighter.

I did get a Knard when they first came out, and did run a tube, and did also pinch-flat it before setting it up tubeless. I also found that I could not trust it in corners and still have scars on my knee to prove it.
    Banshee Prime

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I bent 5-6 big dents out of my rear P35 on my Krampus over the weekend. I have been running it split tube tubeless with a combo of different tyres (including 120tpi Knards) since I got it and never pinch flatted any of the tyres.

Agreed that Knards get a bit squirmy when pushed hard. I'm onto Minion DHR2 now so no longer 29+ but still tons of grip and really agressive. I also have Dirt Wizards for summer but you need some lungs and legs to get those beasts up to speed.

mtbr member
    I'm 235lbs but I'm not riding like a mad man. An I'm not running g tubeless either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Krampus Mk2...
    I wonder why they did the braze ons that way with the second one on the bottom of the dt? Also, I wonder how heavy those wheels will be? Probably a lot considering the price drop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I wonder why they did the braze ons that way with the second one on the bottom of the dt? Also, I wonder how heavy those wheels will be? Probably a lot considering the price drop.
    I believe that's for dropper routing

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    The L/XL frames have an additional bottle mount on the seat tube where there's more room.

noob bikepacker
    Krampus in it's home environs
    Surly Krampus-wint2.jpg

Snow-bike angel!!
    Surly Krampus-snoangl.jpg

After 2 hours in the snow...
    Surly Krampus-wint9.jpg
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if an ECR fork will fit a Krampus?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if an ECR fork will fit a Krampus?
    You can fit an ECR fork to a Krampus, but the ECR fork is 0.6" shorter than the Krampus fork so the HTA will get steeper. If you are talking the new MK3 Krampus the front axle/hub will need conversion to a 9mm QR.

If you just want the brazeons of the ECR fork one of the after market Krampus forks comes with them as well the MK3 Krampus stock fork comes with them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

noob bikepacker
    You can fit an ECR fork to a Krampus, but the ECR fork is 0.6" shorter than the Krampus fork so the HTA will get steeper. If you are talking the new MK3 Krampus the front axle/hub will need conversion to a 9mm QR.

If you just want the brazeons of the ECR fork one of the after market Krampus forks comes with them as well the MK3 Krampus stock fork comes with them.
    are the new MK3 forks with the braze ons the same pecs as the old forks?
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    are the new MK3 forks with the braze ons the same pecs as the old forks?
    Same length, but they require a thru-axle and Boost spacing. If you have a front hub that can't be converted from 9mm QR to a thru axle Boost you'll need a new hub/front wheel.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

noob bikepacker
    Same length, but they require a thru-axle and Boost spacing. If you have a front hub that can't be converted from 9mm QR to a thru axle Boost you'll need a new hub/front wheel.
    Cool. thanx for the quick info. In the process of trying to decide whether I want/need front braze ons for packing or not...
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    Cool. thanx for the quick info. In the process of trying to decide whether I want/need front braze ons for packing or not...
    I don't use them. I don't like the weight on my fork or the width when dealing with vegetation/obstacles. If I was going to do a specific road tour with the need to haul even more water than normal I'd just hose clamp the cages to my fork for that ride.

I do like hauling 1.5L of water under the DT. You can do that with hose clamps. I've used that setup and it's been 100% secure on the roughest singletrack I can ride with that bike. Goes on and off in like 5 mins.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Calgon, take me away!
    I also have Dirt Wizards for summer but you need some lungs and legs to get those beasts up to speed.
    Running 60tpi DWs right now and I 2nd that. They will take a beating all day without getting hurt, but don't roll fast that is for sure.
    Banshee Prime

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi
    I have the chance of buying the last XL Krampus in the UK.... Before I do I would like to ask if anyone has tried 27.5+ with the Krampus? I have heard it can be done, but would like to ask someone with real world experience.
    Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    There are some piccys on the Surly www of someone in Scotland (from memory) with 27.5+. It may also be worth scrolling through the piccys on Pinkbike and mailing the owner.

Worst case if you dont like it you can go 29 and still have a great bike.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kirkwood View Post
    Hi
    I have the chance of buying the last XL Krampus in the UK.... Before I do I would like to ask if anyone has tried 27.5+ with the Krampus? I have heard it can be done, but would like to ask someone with real world experience.
    Thanks for any help.
    someone's probably done it, but depending on your tire choice you will lower the BB quite a bit.

if your riding an XL, you have more to gain from 29+ IMO. huge wheels are awesome! if you want B+ wheels/tires, buy a bike designed for B+.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Buddy of mine who has thousands of miles on his 29+ tire krampus went to 27+ and really didn't noitice much difference. BB is pretty high on krampus and 27+ have about the same outside tire diameter/bb clrarence as a standard 29" tire so you shouldn't have any problems.

noob bikepacker
    I don't use them. I don't like the weight on my fork or the width when dealing with vegetation/obstacles. If I was going to do a specific road tour with the need to haul even more water than normal I'd just hose clamp the cages to my fork for that ride.

I do like hauling 1.5L of water under the DT. You can do that with hose clamps. I've used that setup and it's been 100% secure on the roughest singletrack I can ride with that bike. Goes on and off in like 5 mins.
    Yeah. i don't think I want the weight on the front that way either. I don't mind handlebar bags, but not weight that low.

I like the hose clamp idea tho...something to keep in mind...
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I posted a while back about having fit issues on the krampus with my disproportionately long legs and shorter torso. I've already bent rails on one saddle with it slid all the way back even with 30mm setback seat post. Looking at geometry of the ECR with a 72.5 degree vs mildly steeper 73 degree on krampus seat tube angle, Will half degree make a noticeable difference putting saddle farther behind BB on ECR? ..... reference, Im 5'11 with 34' inseam and because of long TT on krampus and being between sizes, I went with medium. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanmac View Post
    I posted a while back about having fit issues on the krampus with my disproportionately long legs and shorter torso. I've already bent rails on one saddle with it slid all the way back even with 30mm setback seat post. Looking at geometry of the ECR with a 72.5 degree vs mildly steeper 73 degree on krampus seat tube angle, Will half degree make a noticeable difference putting saddle farther behind BB on ECR? ..... reference, Im 5'11 with 34' inseam and because of long TT on krampus and being between sizes, I went with medium. Thanks
    A half degree steeper seat tube will put your saddle 6-7mm more forward.

mtbr member
    I'm taking ownership of a 2015 Krampus on Thursday!!!!!! Whoo Hoo!!!!!!

noob bikepacker
    I'm taking ownership of a 2015 Krampus on Thursday!!!!!! Whoo Hoo!!!!!!
    another drummer with a 2015!!! you will love it!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    I got it in today, built it up and I LOVE IT! I'm hoping to take it out in the morning, weather permitting.

IH, HYHT.
    I got it in today, built it up and I LOVE IT! I'm hoping to take it out in the morning, weather permitting.
    Tornados in the forecast? Krampus doesn't care about the weather.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

noob bikepacker
    Weather permitting? My guy is good in ALL environments:

Summer in Michigan
    Surly Krampus-2016-07-17-09.31.19.jpg

Fall in Columbus
    Surly Krampus-acturkey1.jpg

(Rare) Winter in Columbus
    Surly Krampus-snoangl.jpg

hope your first ride is good!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Can I join the club?

I just took ownership of the sweet 2015 Krampus today. Very happy with it. Hoping to take it on an actual ride tomorrow, weather permitting.

noob bikepacker
    Can I join the club?

I just took ownership of the sweet 2015 Krampus today. Very happy with it. Hoping to take it on an actual ride tomorrow, weather permitting.

so funny how I own the exact same bike, but I look at your pix and go..."cool. I am jealous" New Bike Day is the best!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    How low do you run your Knards in the snow? And, Knards don't seem great in the snow... what do you like that gives a better bite and isn't as subject to lateral slipping?

noob bikepacker
    I run them at around 17psi all the time. The snow was moderately wet that day so I was still going though down to mud in most places..

and you are right. All of my wipeouts were in sharper cornering situations. I was not expecting the Knards to be the best tire for that kind of thing, but they were fine when I was rolling in most other situations. I also had some spin outs when climbing a few of the steeper spots. I just wanted to get out and ride. They were fine on that gravel loop that was snow covered, and they seemed to shed the snow pretty well. It also didn't help that the snow was over trails that were covered in loose wet leaves.

I am also looking for tires that would work better in the snow, but I don't know if I want to go to studded tires. I feel like I need less knobs, but longer knobs. I will get back if I come across any brands that stick out.
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the smallest Q factor crankset you can run on a Krampus? Looking into getting one of the 2017's and wondering if a 168 q XX1 would work.

mtbr member
    I ran about 11 psi in the front and 13 in the back today (mine are 27tpi). The snow has melted and frozen again, which makes it crunchy, bumpy and slick in most places. The biggest trick is staying off of the sides of the trail, where the lack of aggressive traction on the Knards comes into play. Very quickly you slide down that sidewall and your front tire is out from under you. My friend on 4.7s didn't have nearly the same trouble -- It was a skill-builder ride. :-)

But, mostly it was a blast, and a great way to spend a couple of hours this morning!

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicscreen View Post
    I ran about 11 psi in the front and 13 in the back today (mine are 27tpi). The snow has melted and frozen again, which makes it crunchy, bumpy and slick in most places. The biggest trick is staying off of the sides of the trail, where the lack of aggressive traction on the Knards comes into play. Very quickly you slide down that sidewall and your front tire is out from under you. My friend on 4.7s didn't have nearly the same trouble -- It was a skill-builder ride. :-)

But, mostly it was a blast, and a great way to spend a couple of hours this morning!
    I hear ya. I am going out tomorrow and there is no more snow...just mud and leaves. Funny that your front was spinning out, for me it was the back, but it was probably b/c of how I was shifting my weight and pedaling through the turns like normal. I was running closer to 11-and 12 this summer and it was too soft for me. I feel like between 17-20 is the best psi for me. Rode in some sandy conditions up in Michigan and the 17-20 felt fine

I did a little search tonight before my step sons hockey game and I didn't come across many answers for a good 3" without studs. Will do a more extensive search tonight. We probably won't see much more snow here in Central Ohio since we tens to mostly have rainy. muddy winter anymore. 20 miles north, and they get snow. We get rain. Sux.
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Iím now torn between the new Krampus and the new-ish 27,5◊3.8 platform (see Rocky Mountain Suzi Q or Trek Farley). Iím not into bikepacking/wilderness/ adventure etc. so much, but rather simple trail riding all year long, including winter. Yesterday 29+ seemed perfect for that, but now I find the 27,5◊3.8 concept (letís call it a faster fatbike) very tempting and perhaps optimal for the said purpose. Where am I going wrong?
    Last edited by nimm_zwei; 12-29-2016 at 11:33 AM.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by nimm_zwei View Post
    Iím now torn between the new Krampus and the new-ish 27,5◊3.8 platform (see Rocky Mountain Suzi Q or Trek Farley). Iím not into bikepacking/wilderness/ adventure etc. so much, but rather simple trail riding all year long, including winter. Yesterday 29+ seemed perfect for that, but now I find the 27,5◊3.8 concept (letís call it a faster fatbike) very tempting and perhaps optimal for the said purpose. Where am I going wrong?
    If you want to ride on fatbike-groomed trails then most places will not allow bikes with less than 3.8 tires.
    I would say get the 27.5 fat for all year riding, for better snow riding while being quicker than a Krampus.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I just wanted to throw this out there in regards to tires - a 2.4 29er tire will fit the stock 50mm Rabbit Holes, which isn't a revelation as it's on the Surly website but I didn't know realize (or think about doing so) the tire can be sized down before last week.

I'm running a Conti Mountain King II 2.4 on the rear, tubeless. No issues with the tubeless setup, bead seated nicely, etc. I don't have my replacement digital caliper yet but will take some measurements once it shows up.

My reason behind the switch - I was missing the twitchy sketchiness, the responsiveness of a smaller tire. I've been riding the Krampus for less than a year and found myself wanting more from the bike than just it's bulldozer etiquette on the trail, it's lumpy floatiness began to send me to the bike shop to look at other ride options... Which is not fair because the Krampus is 90% of what I want in a bike (after adding a Fox Float 32).

I've not trail tested yet but will be out Friday to see how it goes, mostly to see if I've wasted an hour setting this thing up on a 2.4 tire to find the BB is dumped on the ground and pedal strike has actually become an issue.

I have a few other plans for setup if I'm not digging this, they're something like: 2.4 rear + 2.4 front with Fox Float, 2.4 rear + 3.0 front with Fox Float, 2.4 rear + 2.4 front with rigid fork, blah blah blah. Currently at 2.4 rear + 3.0 front with rigid fork, we'll see how that feels in the AM.
    Surly Krampus-img_3036.jpgSurly Krampus-img_3037.jpgSurly Krampus-img_3038.jpg

Yes, there's magically an incredible amount of space at the stays.

mtbr member
    How bad is chain slap on these here bikes? I haven't put any type of chainstay protector on but, I'm wondering if I should?

noob bikepacker
    How bad is chain slap on these here bikes? I haven't put any type of chainstay protector on but, I'm wondering if I should?
    Hmmm...something I have never worried about on any bike so I don't know. I will look tomorrow when I ride to see....
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    I've never noticed any slap on my Krampus.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Just buy a knockoff Lizard Skin neoprene chain thing and never ever ever ever think about chain slap again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    LBS says no 2017 Krampus until April? Is that what everyone is hearing?

mtbr member
    Been seeing the Krampus tomfoolery and grins growing far and wide so figured it was time to pick one up to replace my outgoing hardtail. Then I realized the new Boosted one was months away and had a massive price jump....and that the green ones were becoming scarce. Luckily VikB tracked down a lead on a complete Large left in stock at a shop . I didn't hesitate and yesterday I go the call that it was at the bus depot ready for pickup. My 3rd Surly after 2 KM's. I've got to rust-proof it, re-build the back wheel with a Hope hub and 40t GC, swap the stock tires for 120tpi Knards, and convert them to tubeless. Then I'll move across some old SLX brakes I have in the bin and post some pics. Have the Viscacha seatbag and handlebar harness ready to go, but still need to track down a framebag so send me a DM if you have one to sell.

Keep posting up these great Swamplit pics and misadventures in all things Krampus!

mtbr member
    Currently my Krampus is set up to run the rear axle at the halfway point in the drop out. For ease of use, especially if I flat, I was thinking I st mine up to run with the rear, wheel allthebway forward. How short do I need my chain, in order to accomplish this and have enough chain to set my rear derailleur correctly?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I've always ridden my rear wheel slammed, only drivetrain mods are: ditched the chain guide and replaced the factory ring with a narrow-wide. Literally a life changer/saver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Moyers View Post
    LBS says no 2017 Krampus until April? Is that what everyone is hearing?
    QBP says April 15th, and Surly also told me mid April as well.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Measurements on the stock 50mm RH setup tubeless:

Knard 3.0 at sidewall: 78.5mm @ 12psi
    Knard 3.0 at widest tread: 80.2mm @ 12psi
    Knard 3.0 + RH from side/total height: 86.7mm @ 12psi

MKII 2.4 at sidewall: 64.5mm @ 25psi
    MKII 2.4 at widest tread: 57.7mm @ 25psi
    MKII 2.4 + RH from side/total height: 75.4mm @ 25psi

I suppose by these numbers my BB dropped almost 1/2", I'll see if it's noticeable when I'm out on the trail Monday.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Official report on 2.4 29er tires on the Krampus:

I did experience a bit of pedal strike but I also could've just been being careless, hard to say.

The bike behaves 100% differently now, on a 2.4 tire the Krampus becomes so much more agile, it is after all just a regular hardtail 29er now. I don't know how much is *actual* change from dropping weight, rolling resistance, etc. or if it's just mentally not seeing a huge tire under-bike that gives me these feelings.

I most definitely had to be more careful about choosing lines (rather than just bouncing/popping through rocky sections) but the acceleration is there in a big way, so is the responsiveness up front, so so so much easier to get this thing corrected and quickly adjusted to changing conditions.

I'm sold. Sorry 3.0 tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    lastchance, I have been running 2.9x2.4s for a while now. I had Onza Ibex (F+R) which were nice for summer and quite fast rolling and have just switched to 2.4 Wide Track Minion DHR2's (F+R) which are supposed to be amazing for braking (i've not tested on dirt yet but roll fairly well).

I have them on P35s and they have a nice profile.

I had some 60tpi Dirt Wizards and 120tpi Knards before that. The Dirt Wizards are amazing but heavy. The Knards are nice and fast but not too agressive.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    lastchance, I have been running 2.9x2.4s for a while now. I had Onza Ibex (F+R) which were nice for summer and quite fast rolling and have just switched to 2.4 Wide Track Minion DHR2's (F+R) which are supposed to be amazing for braking (i've not tested on dirt yet but roll fairly well).

I have them on P35s and they have a nice profile.

I had some 60tpi Dirt Wizards and 120tpi Knards before that. The Dirt Wizards are amazing but heavy. The Knards are nice and fast but not too agressive.
    Yeah, I've ridden a bunch of combinations on this thing but one thing I'm certain of - running a suspension fork is an absolute must. This big full rigid for my style of riding is too uncomfortable, it's just an awful ride for the trails where I'm at.

I have a set of the cheap Knards, a set of Chronicles (which are by far the best plus tire on the market), and a 120tpi DW. Still, none of them are my bag, like the 2.4 too much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    A bouncy fork is a definite must if you want to ride it aggressively. For bikepacking etc I probably wouldn't bother.

The 60tpi DW are worth a try as they have stiffer side walls. They are 1300g a tyre though so take some effort to get up to speed but once you're rolling they're great.

I am waiting for a good aggressive 2.6" tyre - Minion DHF or R2 in a sensible casing. The 2.4 Minion DHR2 I just put on were 900ish grams so another 100g isn't going to break the bank.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    A bouncy fork is a definite must if you want to ride it aggressively. For bikepacking etc I probably wouldn't bother.

The 60tpi DW are worth a try as they have stiffer side walls. They are 1300g a tyre though so take some effort to get up to speed but once you're rolling they're great.

I am waiting for a good aggressive 2.6" tyre - Minion DHF or R2 in a sensible casing. The 2.4 Minion DHR2 I just put on were 900ish grams so another 100g isn't going to break the bank.
    Yeah, here in CO I ride hard (nothing DH or enduro but aggressive trails) so a fork with some squish up front is mandatory.

I ran a 120tpi DW tubeless and blew it up in the first day I rode it, found out from Surly they're not supposed to be ran tubeless... Bummer. It doesn't seat properly without a tube but with a tube at 15-20psi it's totally fine.

The weight difference for me going from a 27tpi Knard to the MKII is decent, though I don't really care about savings it's pretty significant when you factor in how much less Stan's the 2.4 tire takes. I believe the MKII is ~885g and the Knard is ~1240g, factor in at a minimum 2oz less per wheel of Stan's and you're looking at 400g++ per wheel LESS, that's nearly a pound per wheel. Crazy.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Yeah, here in CO I ride hard (nothing DH or enduro but aggressive trails) so a fork with some squish up front is preferred.

I ran a 120tpi DW tubeless and blew it up in the first day I rode it, found out from Surly they're not supposed to be ran tubeless... Bummer. It doesn't seat properly without a tube but with a tube at 15-20psi it's totally fine.
    I have a 120 DW on the front of my Krampus and it's set up tubeless no problem. (using a tube or not will not change where the tire lands on the rim. it will seat just fine). I've mounted at least a dozen Surly tires tubeless and never had any issues with them even though they're not "TR".
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I have a 120 DW on the front of my Krampus and it's set up tubeless no problem. (using a tube or not will not change where the tire lands on the rim. it will seat just fine). I've mounted at least a dozen Surly tires tubeless and never had any issues with them even though they're not "TR".
    +1 - I've run several 120 tpi Knards tubeless with no issues despite the fact they are not "tubeless" tires.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Then I was told by one of the grumps at Surly it shouldn't have been setup tubeless for "insurance" reasons. 😐

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Yeah, I've ridden a bunch of combinations on this thing but one thing I'm certain of - running a suspension fork is an absolute must. This big full rigid for my style of riding is too uncomfortable, it's just an awful ride for the trails where I'm at.

I have a set of the cheap Knards, a set of Chronicles (which are by far the best plus tire on the market), and a 120tpi DW. Still, none of them are my bag, like the 2.4 too much.
    Wow! Never heard anyone say Chronicles are tops. I've got a set and find the traction unimpressive. I haven't tried any other + tires yet, tho.

I like the plus tires on the hardtail a lot. I've got 2.4s on my FS bike. But I am not putting 2.4s on the hardtail. Ever. And agreed on the sus fork.
    Maybe I've just gotten old...

(Full disclosure: I have a Gnarvester not a Krampus.)
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Wow! Never heard anyone say Chronicles are tops. I've got a set and find the traction unimpressive. I haven't tried any other + tires yet, tho.

I like the plus tires on the hardtail a lot. I've got 2.4s on my FS bike. But I am not putting 2.4s on the hardtail. Ever. And agreed on the sus fork.
    Maybe I've just gotten old...

(Full disclosure: I have a Gnarvester not a Krampus.)
    The Chrons are amazing, if I go back to 3.0 it'll be both front and rear those things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    +1 on non-tubeless tubeless. I have run lots of non tubeless tyres (and rims) tubeless for the last 5-6 years. I use split tubes (ghetto). I have had a couple of kevlar / folding bead tyres blow off the rim but they were quite old tyres or were over inflated (+50 psi). Other than that I have had no issues.

I guess this is why Surly recommend not using their tyres as tubeless esp the kevlar / folding bead tyres.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just a heads up.....

I will be posting my large Krampus (moonlit swamp) frame and fork in the classifieds soon. Hopefully this weekend. I just need to get some better pics. If anyone is interested, feel free to shoot me a pm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That format has intrigued me, also. It looks like 29+'s big brother! I don't know that I have a good reason to go full fat from 29+, but it just looks right. Owners seem happy, some even say it compares well to or better than 26x5" in all but deepest sand conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    At the end of the day where is total outside circumference on a 27.5x3.8 vs 29x3.0? Buying into the new formats is always sketchy for me, the lack of parts and interchange just isn't worth the latest trend. What's wrong with 27.5+ for you? I find 3.0 tire in both 27.5 and 29 more than enough for prime snow trail riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FoafInTX View Post
    That format has intrigued me, also. It looks like 29+'s big brother! I don't know that I have a good reason to go full fat from 29+, but it just looks right. Owners seem happy, some even say it compares well to or better than 26x5" in all but deepest sand conditions.
    29+ doesn't have a big brother! I can ride, with a touch more effort in deep sand, nearly anywhere a full fatty goes only way faster. 29 x 3.25 on 50mm rims has been an unstoppable combo for me. No snow here though so can't comment on that nonsense.

If I go back to fat it will surely be 27.4 x 4.0. No hurry to do that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-img_4550.jpg  

mtbr member
    It's the snow (and sketchy ice) that has me on 4.8 over the 3.0. Our ride today along frozen beach I couldn't have done on the Krampus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    29+ doesn't have a big brother! I can ride, with a touch more effort in deep sand, nearly anywhere a full fatty goes only way faster. 29 x 3.25 on 50mm rims has been an unstoppable combo for me. No snow here though so can't comment on that nonsense.

If I go back to fat it will surely be 27.4 x 4.0. No hurry to do that.
    Because 27.5 x 4.0 is just a teeny tiny bit too big?
    ;-)

--Reamer

IH, HYHT.
    ;-)

Deja vu from the Tire pressure gauge PSI question- Mtbr.com thread. You "tenths" obsessed bikers, close enough is just that.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ;-)

--appropriate emoji to indicate I found your comment humorous and quite clever.

No hurry though because I'm now waiting for 29 x 3.5 on 65mm rims. I heard that will be the set-up for the new ECR! I heard it from me but it is a darn good idea. Do it Surly! While your at it go ahead and fix the new Krampus to fit 29 x 3.25. Maybe it does--it should.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Nice build there! I am going 2.4 setup with hans dampf, fox float and RH. Nothing wrong with Knard just want to learn something new.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Official check shortly but it seems that a Duro Crux 3.25 tire on a 50mm rim WILL FIT in the Krampus. Just installed on my ECR without issue. My buddy with a Krampus fork is rushing over to try it. Likely we are the only ones interested but just in case, now you know.

All that talk of 2.4 tires was bumming me out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i may have to order a pair of those for the ICT,i think im going with wtb rangers for the krampus though...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Official check shortly but it seems that a Duro Crux 3.25 tire on a 50mm rim WILL FIT in the Krampus. Just installed on my ECR without issue. My buddy with a Krampus fork is rushing over to try it. Likely we are the only ones interested but just in case, now you know.

The 2.4 setup I'm running right now is stellar, the bike is completely transformed. Before it was big, dumb, and heavy, now it's big, a little less dumb, and kinda less heavy.

Mayor of Waterdog

Did you guys take any photos? It'll be a while before I need new tires, but sounds interesting
    ďWe bring SaturdaysĒ ~ Homme

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    Did you guys take any photos? It'll be a while before I need new tires, but sounds interesting
    no, but I will. It is dumb and heavy but around here it opens up endless miles of desert that would otherwise be nearly unrideable.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i may have to order a pair of those for the ICT,i think im going with wtb rangers for the krampus though...
    I put a pair of Duro Crux 3.25 tires on my ICT Ops. The 3.25" width is at the tread, and the casing is just barely 3" (after initial stretching period). But these tires definitely have a taller outer diameter than other 3" tires. I'm running them tubeless on velocity duallys.

The outer diameter is just small enough in the rear to clear the frame. My frame bag strap on the middle of the seat tube was too close to the tire, so I had to secure it behind a bracket on the bottle cage bolts. The fender bolt on the seatstay bridge is close to having to be removed, but might be fine.

Only got 1 ride on them so far, but first impression is that they roll better on pavement than I would have thought. I couldn't tell much about the off-road traction, as that day wasn't typical trail conditions for comparison.
    Last edited by renegade44; 01-22-2017 at 11:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Who is distributing Duro tires at this time? I checked my 3 suppliers with no luck. Ebay? Jones (I know he likes them a lot)?

Members who have read this thread: 563