Page 37 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 3719

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiecycle View Post
    I would only add that the Dually is tubeless-ready while the RH is not and even has the large holes that add a step.
    The tubeless ready performance of Velocity rims [like the P35] has some critics. I've done well on P35s with UST tires using yellow stans tape and a rubber rim strip, but never tried a tire that wasn't designed to be run tubeless like the Knard.

For the RH if you cool with the split tube method a tubeless setup shouldn't take any longer than on a Dually.

Until we actually get some Dually's in the wild it's hard to know how easily/well they will setup tubeless with Knards.

At least with the RH's the Knard's tubeless performance is pretty well documented.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I wrote it in another thread:
    In the Surly 2014 catalog is drawing of the rabbithole rim where we can see liitle "edges" inside the rim shoulder, that (should?) prevent the tire moves to the inner side which blows off some air (which can be dangerous on descends) - the Velocity Dually doesn't have such edges. So could it be that the RH rim is the better tubeless rim?

Here is the drawing:

Name:  rabbithole.png
Views: 2005
Size:  33.5 KB

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Krampus related... anyone know when the ECR is coming out or how to get a ride on one in Germany? I saw one at EuroBike the other day and it's sweet!

mtbr member
    Derberg, the velocity wheel
    also has bead hooks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Krampus related... anyone know when the ECR is coming out or how to get a ride on one in Germany? I saw one at EuroBike the other day and it's sweet!
    I haven't seen anything official from Surly on an ECR release date.

When the Krampus was released last year you could get frames/forks in Dec 2012 as I recall and the completes didn't show up at my LBS until Apr/May 2013.

Hopefully the ECR completes hit the stores earlier than spring 2014.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yikes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlyMpls View Post
    That is awesome

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I wrote it in another thread:
    In the Surly 2014 catalog is drawing of the rabbithole rim where we can see liitle "edges" inside the rim shoulder, that (should?) prevent the tire moves to the inner side which blows off some air (which can be dangerous on descends) - the Velocity Dually doesn't have such edges. So could it be that the RH rim is the better tubeless rim?
    My wire bead knards burped easily on my rabbit hole rims. it seems that the kevlar bead tires worked better for this, but I haven't tried them myself. I'm waiting for the 29 dirt wizards so I can run a suspension fork!

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

I'm starting to get a gnarly creaking noise when pedaling hard up a hill. Any of you guys have any experience in this area? Seems like it's coming from the front wheel area (maybe the fork) or maybe the pedals.

Just had it at the LBS for a tune up and they said that everything was kosher.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Straggler, ETA of September 2013
    ECR, ETA of September 2013 for frames and December 2013 for Completes
    Instigator, ETA of March 2014

ETA- Estimated Time of Arrival

Ta-Dah | Blog | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Derberg, the velocity wheel
    also has bead hooks.
    Hm - but I cant't see them on this velocity drawing:

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...ally-final.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-dually-final.jpg  

mtbr member
    Knard ordered today, hopefully a spin on wednesday on the p-35

Very excited.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Knard question

My knards have run kind of lumpy ever since fixing my first flats. I think I seated them as well as I could. Any techniques for getting them seated super evenly?

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

Hm - but I cant't see them on this velocity drawing:

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...ally-final.jpg
    Edit. Sorry, thought your were talking about the outer bead shelf. Fwiw, my velocity wheels hold a bead tubeless as well as my surly rims. Neither hold as well as my stans rims.

Last edited by thickfog; 09-02-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Drummerdavid

Assume you pumped them up really hard and then dropped the pressure again?

Just a suggestion?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    Drummerdavid

Assume you pumped them up really hard and then dropped the pressure again?

Just a suggestion?
    Good thought. It was a repair on the trail with a tiny little pump. So I didnt do that. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    Straggler, ETA of September 2013
    ECR, ETA of September 2013 for frames and December 2013 for Completes
    Instigator, ETA of March 2014

ETA- Estimated Time of Arrival

Ta-Dah | Blog | Surly Bikes
    Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

I've been running a krampus fork with knard 27tpi on p35 for a couple of months now. I love it. The feel and handling is much improved over a suspension fork to me. I can't run one in back yet, but hope to come across a Krampus frame, in my budget, soon. I've been running the knard and fork on a Redline D660 frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    They are there, just not as pronounced. Fwiw, my velocity wheels hold a bead tubeless as well as my surly rims. Neither hold as well as my stans rims.
    My Velocity P35 has no bead - the Dually seems to be the same thing - as mikesee criticized in another thread in this forum.

Why should Velocity make a drawing that hides an advantage?

mtbr member

Re: Surly Krampus

My Velocity P35 has no bead - the Dually seems to be the same thing - as mikesee criticized in another thread in this forum.

Sorry, misunderstood you. I see no inner bead shelf either.

CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Has anyone here tried to set up 29x3 Knards tubeless on Schlick Northpaw 29+ rims yet? I am still running mine with lightweight 29er tubes, and Surly rim strips.

beer *****es n' bikes

The P35 was not designed to be tubeless ready (though the current Blunt 35 is). The Dually does indeed have a shoulder, just not as pronounced as in our narrower rims.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here are the "other" rims that are being overlooked.

http://schlickcycles.com/2013/05/08/...now-available/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by seely View Post
    The Dually does indeed have a shoulder, just not as pronounced as in our narrower rims.
    Hm - is there any picture where we can see this shoulder?
    This would be very helpful for choosing the right rim

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    I'm starting to get a gnarly creaking noise when pedaling hard up a hill. Any of you guys have any experience in this area? Seems like it's coming from the front wheel area (maybe the fork) or maybe the pedals.

Just had it at the LBS for a tune up and they said that everything was kosher.
    Hey Gouda, it could be creaking as a result of some dust in and around the headset. I had the same sound coming from the same place. Everything was working fine, but I was annoyed by the sound. It went away after I cleaned the dust out of my headset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Surly Krampus-img_2475.jpg

It's so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The grey looks great. I like the idea of planning for some gravel dust on the bike. Good work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WyldStallyn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2475.jpg 
Views:	1084 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	830039

It's so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
    Ferris?
    Cameron?

mtbr member
    Yes. I get this frequently if I am really mashing on the bike up a steep hill. I attribute it to frame flex...
    What rotors are you running?

The reason I ask is because I was using 180mm F/R SLX centerlock rotors when I was having all my rubbing issues. I thought nothing of it and kept riding as I have been. I recently switched to 200mm/180mm F/R HS1 rotors with centerlock adapters and haven't had any rubbing issues yet (fingers crossed)! I'm curious if the rotors have anything to do with it. While the centerlock rotors stayed 100% true all the time, they were noising as hell and rubbed with frame flex. Avid rotors never seem to stay true, but are much quieter in my experience and haven't had any sort of rubbing issues...even with me trying to make it rub.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    What rotors are you running?

The reason I ask is because I was using 180mm F/R SLX centerlock rotors when I was having all my rubbing issues. I thought nothing of it and kept riding as I have been. I recently switched to 200mm/180mm F/R HS1 rotors with centerlock adapters and haven't had any rubbing issues yet (fingers crossed)! I'm curious if the rotors have anything to do with it. While the centerlock rotors stayed 100% true all the time, they were noising as hell and rubbed with frame flex. Avid rotors never seem to stay true, but are much quieter in my experience and haven't had any sort of rubbing issues...even with me trying to make it rub.
    I'm running the factory spec Clean Sweeps. Hardly ever notice the noise anymore.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Hey Gouda, it could be creaking as a result of some dust in and around the headset. I had the same sound coming from the same place. Everything was working fine, but I was annoyed by the sound. It went away after I cleaned the dust out of my headset.
    Is it a pain in the arse to clean that out? I'd like to avoid taking anything apart if I can.

mtbr member
    Triple post! But good news... No more creaking. Took apart my quick release skewers and lubed them up with a thin thin cost of grease and tightened things up nice and tight. Also took apart my Crank Bros pedals and regreased those. Adios creak!

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Work in progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mowabb View Post
    Work in progress![/URL]
    Looks like a good start.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    that's looking great! love the Thommo bar!

mtbr member
    Perspective on wheel size...

Surly Krampus-9710241009_d412d16fa3_c.jpg

Surly Krampus

Nice mister.... Kind of the difference between the Krampus and the Moonlander.

We missed you this past weekend at SSWC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Triple post! But good news... No more creaking. Took apart my quick release skewers and lubed them up with a thin thin cost of grease and tightened things up nice and tight. Also took apart my Crank Bros pedals and regreased those. Adios creak!
    Nice dude. You've gotta love it when the only sound coming from your bike is the hum of the tires.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Hm - is there any picture where we can see this shoulder?
    This would be very helpful for choosing the right rim
    We've already shipped the ones we've gotten so far, but when I get another set in I'll try to remember to take a pic. The A23 has a deeply recessed web, being a taller rim, whereas the Dually has a shallow web and a gentle taper to the shoulder, so it doesn't look as dramatic as it does in our other rims, if that makes any sense. We got one up tubeless here the other day and couldn't get it to burp at a very low pressure, even pulling the bead inward off the rim.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seely View Post
    The P35 was not designed to be tubeless ready (though the current Blunt 35 is). The Dually does indeed have a shoulder, just not as pronounced as in our narrower rims.
    Funny I have had it easier setting the same UST tires on P35s vs. some Blunt 35s. Once setup they have both worked without issue. No burping, hassles and I rarely have to add air.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hi there, I've been a quiet reader of this thread for quite a long time and the more I've read about this bike, the more I wanted to grab one.

Two months ago I found a great offer: A like new looking Krampus that has been built up by the owner of a bikeshop and that had to go because he needed some more space in this garage. I got it for 1400 € (~ 1800 $).

So here it is:
    <iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=A8622AD148286440&resid=A8622AD148286440% 21144&authkey=APJ38m9lB0Yy3LU" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

The following parts are different from the stock specs:

Crankset:
    e.13 LG1 Single-Double

Chainring:
    Blackspire, 36 teeth

Chainguide:
    e.13 XCX

Rear hub:
    Sram x9

Grips:
    ESI Chunky

Pedals:
    Shimano Saint

This bike is so much fun to ride, I take it on the trail whenever I can! Totally happy and very impressed!

Chairman of the Beard
    Has anyone had any more luck getting a fork onto their Krampus? The Lefty and German.a Fat Flame both require a front wheel rebuild and a new hub (and potentially new spokes if the flanges are different). I can get up to 15mm x 100mm with my X9 hubs, but not the 20mm x 110mm the Flame requires and the lefty hub's a whole 'nother beast. I tried stuffing it into my Fox 34, but the 1mm of clearance skeeved me out pretty good and I wasn't about to start grinding down a fork that nice.

I suppose getting a used somethingorother and taking a dremel to the arch is an option. Any recommendations for an overbuilt 29er fork to be on the lookout for?
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yea, several people have posted stories and pictures of success in this thread and in the "Krampus with front suspension" thread. I'm surprised that your 34 doesn't have enough clearance since people seem to generally be having the most luck with Fox forks.

mtbr member
    I have descent clearance in my 34. I trimmed the nipples off because the noise was a bit much. Just curious what pressure your running. I originally pumped mine to 20psi and they were really close. When I back off the pressure to where it should be for my taste it cleared much better. Also keep in mind the Dirt Wizards are coming and they might have more clearance.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    I have descent clearance in my 34. I trimmed the nipples off because the noise was a bit much. Just curious what pressure your running. I originally pumped mine to 20psi and they were really close. When I back off the pressure to where it should be for my taste it cleared much better. Also keep in mind the Dirt Wizards are coming and they might have more clearance.
    I'm excited about the prospect of dirt wizards and easy suspension fork compatibility with my krampus. For the southern piedmont riding where I am 90% of the time rigid is fine, but when I hit the mountains, it's rough rough rough.

But my more pressing concern is freehub bodies. I just cracked my second xt freehub body in less than a year and despite (or because of..) being a shop mechanic I can't really afford a fancier one.

mtbr member

Surly Krampus

Nice dude. You've gotta love it when the only sound coming from your bike is the hum of the tires.
    Yessir! Now I hope it lasts!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I just cracked my second xt freehub body in less than a year and despite (or because of..) being a shop mechanic I can't really afford a fancier one.
    I think it's definitely because of, based on my experience. What I don't quite understand is how "fancier" necessarily equates with "more reliable." Shimano should be good for warranty anyhow, so just keep sending them back!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a nearly new Krampus with the large frame. I'd rather have a medium or even a small. Anyone interested in swapping frames? I'm in Colorado.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    vikb?