Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,700 of 4159

Thread: Surly Krampus

  1. #3601
    oh my TVC 15
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,288
    Quote Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
    I just build my krampus up w some drops, using BB7 S Road brakes. Any idea if the BB7 S Road can do 180mm rotors? It seems to fit fine upfront (with the adapter that came w the original BB7 S MTN brakes..) but there is some rubbing of the bolts/spacers (the flat/rounded washers)

    I have a 0 IS adapter coming so that I can adjust the BB7 S Road with the 160mm front rotor..

    I've gone all the way to 200mm with BB7s. The roads and mtbs are externally the same, the only difference is the internal cam devices. You can buy a kit and convert them from one to the other, so as long as you have the correct mounts and the frame will accept the diameter, disc clearance isn't an issue.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  2. #3602
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I've gone all the way to 200mm with BB7s. The roads and mtbs are externally the same, the only difference is the internal cam devices. You can buy a kit and convert them from one to the other, so as long as you have the correct mounts and the frame will accept the diameter, disc clearance isn't an issue.
    OK good to know..it seems like the rotor is rubbing on the adapter - like the tab on the fork is off..

  3. #3603
    oh my TVC 15
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,288
    I've seen that with Avid adapters too. Recheck the set-up, you may have the adapter backwards.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  4. #3604
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    There were 3 Krampi ? At my local trails tonight. I was on mine (wishing I had kept it a SS) and I saw 2 others. Too wet for pleasantries or pictures, other than my post ride before hose off.

    Got sloppy. by Mike, on Flickr

    Got sloppy. by Mike, on Flickr

  5. #3605
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    what do you think of the shock?
    i have my bluto on my krampus right now,only had a short ride to try it out...im wishing i had left mine singlespeed as well...

  6. #3606
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    what do you think of the shock?
    i have my bluto on my krampus right now,only had a short ride to try it out...im wishing i had left mine singlespeed as well...


    Love the MRP. second season on it. Went 1x5 for an upcoming bikepacking trip. Might just out the Rohloff back on for the trip and ditch the derailer. Or go SS.

  7. #3607
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Saxon Hill pond loop by Mike, on Flickr

    Had some issues with the first attempt at 1x5 on a King SS hub. I think I have it dialed now. But riding with gears on my Krampus feels weird now. Gonna leave it setup for my bikepacking trip coming up. Then we'll be back at SS.

  8. #3608
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    yeah,i dont know why i put the 1x10 back on when i added the bluto to the krampus,i was really digging the krampus as a singlespeed..i love my karate monkey ss but even a 2.4 tire isnt enough to soak up the rocky bits on my old abused joints,the 3 inch tires on the krampus do the trick for me,and at 6'6" and in rocky,sandy desert terrain 29+ works well for me...so ss plus a front shock would really be sweet for the numerous in and outs that could just smash through on the krampus where i would have to pick my way through the chunder on the monkey...
    i need to get another wheel with a surly hub so i can run a dos enos on the back since i have to commute to the trails and any gear suitable for the trails is gonna be way too spinny on the road.

  9. #3609
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i need to get another wheel with a surly hub so i can run a dos enos on the back since i have to commute to the trails and any gear suitable for the trails is gonna be way too spinny on the road.

    yeah, i am sort of thinking about going 2 king cogs on the back, and or ditch the zee crank and get a double to run 2 rings / 2 cogs, specifically for this.

    hmmm.

    held up find today, the XTR derailer seems to have more resistance than the short cage road derailer i had on it, and i move the tube wrap on the chain stay to prevent damage that i had from last ride.

    After a rainy ride earlier in the week on the 1x5:

    Battle damage. Re/wrapped and swapped to an XTR derailer. Probably gonna suck it up and single speed. by Mike, on Flickr

    Battle damage. Re/wrapped and swapped to an XTR derailer. Probably gonna suck it up and single speed. by Mike, on Flickr

  10. #3610
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I've seen that with Avid adapters too. Recheck the set-up, you may have the adapter backwards.
    no, definitely not on backwards..arrow points where it should etc..
    waiting on Surly to send a replacement fork

  11. #3611
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7
    1x5? tell me more

  12. #3612
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    hmmm,now you got me thinking..i have a turbine crank that will take a 2x setup,and i have a couple sizes of inner chainrings and cogs,should be able to set up a dinglespeed pretty easy,its half the fun of having a surly in my book,is trying different setups...

  13. #3613
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
    1x5? tell me more
    Low end of a 9spd cassette. I think an 8 or 10spd would work too. On a king hub you need to file away some of the Shimano DRM notch on the inside of the cassette carrier. Then you need to make to fit on the King hub - the guy who set this up used a headset or BB facing tool to machine off some of the carrier shell. Pretty painless - just took some time to face some off, test fit, etc.

    I started with a short cage Tiagra road derailleur, wasn't happy with chain slap and damage to my stay, so I swapped to an XTR Rapid Rise or whatever (clicking the shifter makes it move opposite standard setups). I had to get some longer M4 bolts from the hardware store to replace the limit screws. I'm driving it with a Shimano bar end on a Paul Thumbie, indexed.

    1x5 Bikepacking Krampus with MRP Stage front end by Mike, on Flickr

    Test ride Wednesday, and then the rainy ride on Thursday had lots of chain slap / suck and didn't feel right. XTR rear feels better, and I think it will serve me fine as a quick swap for bikepacking (I could put the Rohloff back on, but don't like it for tech / singletrack riding).

    I run 30/20 SS. Im running 30 upfront with an 18 or 19 to 32 rear now.

  14. #3614
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    hmmm,now you got me thinking..i have a turbine crank that will take a 2x setup,and i have a couple sizes of inner chainrings and cogs,should be able to set up a dinglespeed pretty easy,its half the fun of having a surly in my book,is trying different setups...
    I ran my CrossCheck fixed dingle for a long long time.
    Then I got a soma juice, ran that as a fixed dingle too. And then went SS for awhile. Had a kid to pull around so put 3 rings on the Surly Mr Whirly I had and a parts box front derailer with a Paul Melvin as a tensioner and had a 1x3. Super low for pulling kids uphill into town. Middle for solo trail riding, high for getting around.

  15. #3615
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    i was running 32/20 but on an absolute black oval,it certainly felt faster than the same gear on the km but left me pushing a few times so at that moment i really wished i had a 22 on the back but of course on the road it was pokey except when climbing of course when its often to big to sit and spin but too small to stand up and climb...i suppose easier to apply more suck-it-up and just tough it out...

  16. #3616
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    76
    I am also curious about the 1x5 set up. I am guessing it is a more robust set up than say 1x8?

  17. #3617
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    I am also curious about the 1x5 set up. I am guessing it is a more robust set up than say 1x8?


    It's part of a 9spd cassette with a 9spd chain. It just happens to work out nicely that way due to the way the cassette carrier breaks up the cogs. And it fits on a King SS hub. Only thing robust about it is the wheel itself.

  18. #3618
    wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,851
    some reading for those who are curious about putting gears on a SS hub.

    Six Speed MTB - Pvdwiki
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  19. #3619
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    New Krampus = Krampus | Bikes | Surly Bikes

    Old Krampus for reference = Krampus | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  20. #3620
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    lol,looks like surly got a deal on waterbottle cage bosses!

  21. #3621
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Surly Krampus-shut-up-take-my-money.jpg

    I wonder how big a fork it can take?

  22. #3622
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	1095313

    I wonder how big a fork it can take?
    The stock fork is the same length and HTA is the same within 0.5 deg so you are not going to get a much longer fork on it before the steering gets wacky. I ran a 130mm Fox 34 on the green Krampus and that was probably 10mm more than ideal.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  23. #3623
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,293
    Like the geometry tweaks and glad to see the boost 15x110 fork!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  24. #3624
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    1x5 bikepacking Krampus waiting to roll out:

    Bikepacking VT by Mike, on Flickr

    Thats an MRP stage @ 120 on the front... worked great, although on day 1 I had a little bag rub when I compressed the fork all the way out on a big hit.

    Me and my Krampus almost to camp, Leicester Hollow trail, VT

    Leicester Hollow by Mike, on Flickr


    The new Krampus looks great... small tweaks, and glad to see its being kept alive.

  25. #3625
    wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,851
    love: the shorter chainstays, vertical and horizontal dropouts, sunrace 11-42 cassette (way freakin better than the 34:11-36 that came stock on mine!!!!!), run any hub you want!, dropper routing, safe to assume the Salsa rear hub is better than the Shimano POS i killed in two months?.

    Hate: Sram everywhere instead of Shimano BOO!!, 40mm rims??

    jury's out: gnot boost? I'm sure if Surly has it on a couple bikes now it's a good system, just wonder if it's weird or finicky or not awesome long term?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  26. #3626
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Afun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    401
    Krampus looks sweet! We got some color! Why did they use the ALEX rims....no more rim strip exposed??!

    30t chainring / 42 tooth cassette is the way to go! The wheels suck!
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

  27. #3627
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    160
    My take on the "gnot-boost": I've ridden many miles on road bikes with 120 or 126mm rear spacing and 130mm wheels. The first few I went to the trouble of cold-setting the rear triangle. I've also just stuffed the wider wheel in there, and have not had any trouble at all. Many nice steel bikes came set at 132.5mm and were used with 130 or 135mm wheels. No problem.

  28. #3628
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,645
    Is it the same "new" dropout on the Wednesdays?

    Doesn't Alex make the Surly rims? That's probably why the Alex rims...
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  29. #3629
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    47
    It looks like the CS yoke is gone in the new model to allow for the shorter chainstays.

  30. #3630
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,334
    I'm already excited about Gen 3 when they use the now tiny headtube as a seat tube and get rid of the headtube all together. Just weld a 900mm bar in where the ht used to be.

    Does anybody make a 500 mm seatpost?

    Joking aside, the color is cool but I'm glad I got the WED. and didn't wait for this.

  31. #3631
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    248
    30 by 11/42, Answer ProTaper bars, 40mm inner rims, salsa thru-axle hubs, Dirt Wizards, flexible dropouts, dropper routing.

    I think this is a stock build that I would be happy to recommend to anyone. Does anyone know how easily the MD40 rims set up tubeless?

  32. #3632
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeetheviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    104
    Perfect.
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

  33. #3633
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316


    Krampus Mk2...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  34. #3634
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	1095313

    ?
    This great looking bike


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #3635
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,645
    That candy apple red is lovely.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  36. #3636
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    That candy apple red is lovely.
    Does anyone know if that is a flat gloss red, or metallic?

    edit: just saw the photo. So not metallic. Correct?
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

  37. #3637
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeetheviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    104
    I was wondering also. But it does not look metallic. This is the only area where Surly screwed up lol Red metal flake would have been even more perfect.
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

  38. #3638
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    yeah,for surly the colors,aside from the names,are fairly boring this year....but pics are no substitute for seeing it in real life,i saw the new purple karate monkey and its pretty eye catching in person...

  39. #3639
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Afun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    401
    I like all the changes except the Rabbit Hole rims with a colored rim strip made it unique.

    It's either this or the Salsa Woodsmoke for my next buy. Or I may go full custom and get myself an Independent Fab Steel Deluxe.


    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

  40. #3640
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    I like all the changes except the Rabbit Hole rims with a colored rim strip made it unique.

    It's either this or the Salsa Woodsmoke for my next buy. Or I may go full custom and get myself an Independent Fab Steel Deluxe.
    I've never bought a Surly complete so the parts kit is irrelevant to me and you can still buy RH rims.

    A Salsa Woodsmoke frame is $2K USD so getting a custom steel frame is not much more and has a number of benefits.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  41. #3641
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Afun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I've never bought a Surly complete so the parts kit is irrelevant to me and you can still buy RH rims.

    A Salsa Woodsmoke frame is $2K USD so getting a custom steel frame is not much more and has a number of benefits.
    The Krampus price makes it attractive. It's a great bike, great geometry. I'm trying to do myself a favor and stay away from the 30 pound bikes. I just can't seem to do it. An Indy Fab is going to cost well over 4K for 26lb bike. The Smoke is about 30 pounds and its Carbon. Don't know what happen there. The Krampus is going to be around 30 pounds too. I could save a load of money, but my Pine Mountain is very similar to the Krampus.

    Let me say I am 200% sold on the Plus platform. 27.5 or 29er with or without a suspension fork. Climbing on the Rocky and Loose it just amazing. No need for ultra Knkbby tires either. I also enjoy my Urban Assaults in the city. Did about 5 miles with my son on the Handlebars on Sunday...smooth going.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

  42. #3642
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    The Krampus price makes it attractive. It's a great bike, great geometry. I'm trying to do myself a favor and stay away from the 30 pound bikes. I just can't seem to do it. An Indy Fab is going to cost well over 4K for 26lb bike. The Smoke is about 30 pounds and its Carbon. Don't know what happen there. The Krampus is going to be around 30 pounds too. I could save a load of money, but my Pine Mountain is very similar to the Krampus.
    The Salsa/Surly complete parts kits are not inspiring. If you want a light bike you need to build it from a frame up. But, ya it won't be cheap.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  43. #3643
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Afun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The Salsa/Surly complete parts kits are not inspiring. If you want a light bike you need to build it from a frame up. But, ya it won't be cheap.
    It's not bad complete, but I do end up changing stuff.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

  44. #3644
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    It's not bad complete, but I do end up changing stuff.
    If you want a light bike you have no choice. I'd just as soon start from scratch and buy individual parts so I am not tied to any of the stock stuff.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  45. #3645
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    yup,no more complete bikes for me,i would only consider a frame up build at this point,but the complete bikes i bought certainly allowed me to buy way too many bikes and learn how to work on them with the cheap stuff and actually figure out what genuinely needed to be replaced...but i cant say i actually broke or had any original parts fail,i wore out the deore hubs on the ogre,but that took like 6000 miles...and the krampus bottom bracket got full of gritty water after being submerged for 15 minutes..

    i considered a custom or micro brew steel frame,but i really like my surlys,i would hate to get something custom and not want to ride them anymore because they suddenly seemed clunky or ill-made...i still think whichever bike i happen to be riding is my favorite...

  46. #3646
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Afun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    401
    I agree with everything you said hamsterspam. Surly has made me buy another steel bike because I liked the ride so much. I'm not the biggest or strongest guy out there. I have had great gains on the trail on both of my steel bikes. I just wonder if I lighten the load how much better I Could get in the climbs. I just don't see any light plus platforms. I also need to try some suspension. I absolutely love the rigid stuff, but I also wonder how much faster I could go with some squish.

    On another note....have you noticed how Surly's and other similar bikes don't look old with age. Now a days a 2 year old Santa Cruz looks really old because they change up the style so much.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

  47. #3647
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    for sure,i have often wondered what it would be like to ride a lightweight carbon fiber rig because im much more interested in being able to climb well on hard techy stuff than being able to bomb down the same stuff...mainly because im a wuss but that crashing downhill on full squish bikes is for youngsters,not a mildly arthritic 51 year olds...

    buts it way more satisfying to crush the people on their fancy once a week ridden carbon fiber rigs on a heavy ass full rigid steel frame bike on some gut punch climb on a 37lb fat bike...

    i started doing the strava climbing challenges every month,im much,much better at climbing now...like hugely better.....it requires a ton of road miles to build the endurance,and to learn good climbing technique,and then went back to the trails and started tackling the tougher climbs,but now i can get up nearly anything without feeling like my heart is going to explode,even on the fat bike...that and following matterhorn around,riding with a better rider really helped me a lot...i can actually almost keep up with him now!

  48. #3648
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    for sure,i have often wondered what it would be like to ride a lightweight carbon fiber rig because im much more interested in being able to climb well on hard techy stuff than being able to bomb down the same stuff...mainly because im a wuss but that crashing downhill on full squish bikes is for youngsters,not a mildly arthritic 51 year olds...
    My carbon 6" travel FS bike is lighter than my Krampus by several pounds. It's a pleasure to ride up and down. If you made me keep only one mountain bike it would be that one. Despite loving my Krampus a lot.

    I even tried touring on it this summer and that worked better than I had expected.

    That said I am a mildly arthritic 48yr old so I may out grow such foolishness in time.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  49. #3649
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,820
    ah,youngster then,you still have some good years left!

  50. #3650
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    It's either this or the Salsa Woodsmoke for my next buy. Or I may go full custom and get myself an Independent Fab Steel Deluxe.
    FWIW one of the main reasons I'm riding a Krampus and not a custom steel bike from a local builder is the constant march of standards in mountain bike parts. If I want to upgrade to common sized dropper and a Boost hub on my Krampus Mk1 it's a lot more reasonable to buy a new Surly frame and sell the old one than a bling custom frame.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  51. #3651
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    235
    I'm no geometry expert, so I'll ask here-

    How is it that the Krampus has shorter chainstays than an ECR, but has a longer wheelbase than an ECR? Is it because of the longer reach/top-tube length on the Krampus that stretches the wheelbase out?

  52. #3652
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    I'm no geometry expert, so I'll ask here-

    How is it that the Krampus has shorter chainstays than an ECR, but has a longer wheelbase than an ECR? Is it because of the longer reach/top-tube length on the Krampus that stretches the wheelbase out?
    Lrg Krampus/Lrg ECR

    ETT = 25/24.2
    CS = 17.1/17.8
    WB = 44.8/44.4
    R = 17.6/17.1
    ST = 16.9/20

    The Krampus has a shorter rear end and longer front end, but it's designed to be used with a shorter stem so that balances out. The seat tube is shorter on the Krampus for use with a dropper post.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  53. #3653
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,293
    Krampus also has a steeper seat tube angle included with the longer ETT and 1/2 degree slacker head tube angle. Which all push the front center further forward.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  54. #3654
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    With the new bent ST it's hard to know how Surly measured the published STA. If two people ride the same size frame with longer and shorter saddle heights they will have two different effective ST angles.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  55. #3655
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    235
    OK, thank you. I barely made it through geometry in high school...lol

    But it is agreed, generally speaking, that the Krampus, new or old, is more of the 'single-track shredder' than the ECR, which is more
    of a 'lumbering along the dirt road/jeep trail' type of bike? Or am I generalizing too much in that assessment?

  56. #3656
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    76
    The Krampus certainly is a trail shreader. I'm not an expert on the ECR so can't comment.

    But yes longer TT, slacker HA and longer fork gives a longer wheelbase. I have a 100mm squishy fork and -2 degree headset on my Krampus (L) and get a 1170mm wheelbase and 66.4 degree head angle. It's damn fast and stable.

    PS not sure on the new Krampus, I miss the seat tube stiffener and metallic green paint. Also not sure how the shorter CS will be for climbing.

  57. #3657
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,334
    That's why they sent me. I am an expert. (that one is for any fans of Logjammin')

    The ECR does indeed do quite well on dirt roads but I've never had issues running mine on rough singletrack. Doesn't allow the same playful style as the Krampus but for bikepacking I've found it to be easy and efficient on all terrain/tracks.

  58. #3658
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    816
    Any idea when the gnu versions will be available? I could pretty much smash one together with a frame, fork, headset and tires.

  59. #3659
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Any idea when the gnu versions will be available? I could pretty much smash one together with a frame, fork, headset and tires.
    No word yet. I'd expect early 2017.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  60. #3660
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    OK, thank you. I barely made it through geometry in high school...lol

    But it is agreed, generally speaking, that the Krampus, new or old, is more of the 'single-track shredder' than the ECR, which is more
    of a 'lumbering along the dirt road/jeep trail' type of bike? Or am I generalizing too much in that assessment?
    I think that is a fair statement in general, but it maybe doesn't tell just how much fun an ECR is to ride. It is like a Land Cruiser. Great for riding anywhere you want. Krampus can cover the same turf, of course. Rider position is the main difference, plus the ECR is amazingly stable. I haven't tried ripping through MTB parks, not much my thing, but I more comfortable leaning this bike in tight turns than my last 29er.

  61. #3661
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    235
    That seems to be a common theme when I ask people about the ECR. That uber-stable feeling was the impression I got when test-riding one...in a parking lot...lol

    I think there is a place in Phoenix that actually rents ECRs- need to check on that. I would like to try one out on terrain similar to what I actually ride.

    My ElMariachi is a very comfortable bike- fit-wise, anyways. Seems to have a skittish nature in the more gnarly terrain.

    I suppose my biggest apprehension is pedaling a bike around that's even heavier than what I have right now. I'm no racer, so that is probably just a preoccupation of mine.

    Sorry- this is the KRAMPUS thread. I will shut up about the ECR now.

  62. #3662
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ___Nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    15
    Got a sweet deal on a closeout Krampus in the Moonlit Swamp colorway from my LBS. Picking it up on Monday. I was torn between a medium and a small but I went with the small -- I'm 5'8" with a 31.5" cycling inseam. Hoping I went with the right size.

    I've been riding my local trails on my cyclocross rig so I am super amped to have a bike that's actually made for heavy trail riding.

  63. #3663
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ___Nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    15
    This bike is a blast! Cruising around the city hopping down stairs and off ledges is too much fun. Still getting used to the weight though -- climbing trails that would normally be pretty easy on me was a bit of a challenge.

    Any of you guys using a size small frame for bike packing? I'm concerned that there won't be enough space between my seat and my tire for a saddle pack.

    Anyways -- here's a few photos from its maiden voyage:

    Next to my girls Surly Straggler 650b

    Surly Krampus-30159119595_6b01d17ee6_z.jpg

    Surly Krampus-30074605971_d95713df1a_z.jpg

    Couldn't believe I could fit an extra tube into this saddle bag

    Surly Krampus-30066658272_6e91e5a94b_z.jpg

    First upgrades will be some Thomson bits and a 32t chainring to help with those climbs.

  64. #3664
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    119
    Tubes? What are tubes? You'll get use to the weight, it's a trade off for confidence in riding your Krampus like it's a stolen pig.

  65. #3665
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    You can use a 'normal' 29r tube.

  66. #3666
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by ___Nicholas View Post
    ...

    Any of you guys using a size small frame for bike packing? I'm concerned that there won't be enough space between my seat and my tire for a saddle pack.

    ...
    Portland Design Works Bindle: https://ridepdw.com/collections/carg...nt=24752815937

    If you're north of the border, the rack alone is just $70 CDN (~$50 usd) at MEC.

  67. #3667
    mtbr member
    Reputation: temporoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Portland Design Works Bindle: https://ridepdw.com/collections/carg...nt=24752815937

    If you're north of the border, the rack alone is just $70 CDN (~$50 usd) at MEC.
    Why would you go with the extra cost when you can to this straight up. Have a look at the video.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

  68. #3668
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Why would you go with the extra cost when you can to this straight up. Have a look at the video.
    My wife's small Krampus has a hair under 7" between the tire and saddle rails. The Arkel 15l needs 8". The 9l needs a minimum of 7", so it 'fits' with no clearance. And the Arkel solution at $240 CDN is 50% more expensive than the PDW +Revelate Terrapin solution at ~ $160 CDN.

    The Arkel solution is very elegant, and looks much quicker to load/unload. But I don't think it will fit on a small Krampus, unless the Seatpost is well extended.

    When I went looking, the 9l (Compact size) Apidura drypacks were the only ones that needed under 7" clearance on their own.

  69. #3669
    mtbr member
    Reputation: temporoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    542
    that's too bad. I know Arkel makes a quality product, I have been using my commuting panniers for 15 years, still in great shape and made in Canada.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

  70. #3670
    mtbr member
    Reputation: temporoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    And the Arkel solution at $240 CDN is 50% more expensive than the PDW +Revelate Terrapin solution at ~ $160 CDN.

    The Arkel solution is very elegant, and looks much quicker to load/unload. But I don't think it will fit on a small Krampus, unless the Seatpost is well extended.
    .
    Don't forget the extra shipping, I just went to the Revelate Terrapin web page and did the checkout, it is 171 USD which is 227.43 CND plus any brokerage. Yougota watch those imported shipments. PCW + is sold out you will have to see if it is restocked at the same price.

    Best
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

  71. #3671
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    248
    The PDW Bindle is $70 CDN at MEC. The Revelate Terrapin drybag is $38 USD. Or $118 USD for both if you buy the bundle from PDW. It is much cheaper than the Arkel solution, and allows you to hard fix how low the bag sits in situations that are cramped for space.

    Sorry for the thread misdirection. Back to the Krampus.

  72. #3672
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    325
    I have almost the exact same measurements. I'm also torn between the small and medium. Why'd you decide on the small? Was the M's top tube height (31.4") uncomfortable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ___Nicholas View Post
    Got a sweet deal on a closeout Krampus in the Moonlit Swamp colorway from my LBS. Picking it up on Monday. I was torn between a medium and a small but I went with the small -- I'm 5'8" with a 31.5" cycling inseam. Hoping I went with the right size.

    I've been riding my local trails on my cyclocross rig so I am super amped to have a bike that's actually made for heavy trail riding.

  73. #3673
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    I have almost the exact same measurements. I'm also torn between the small and medium. Why'd you decide on the small? Was the M's top tube height (31.4") uncomfortable?
    I'm 5'11" with 33" pants inseam and comfortably ride a medium.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  74. #3674
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    I have almost the exact same measurements. I'm also torn between the small and medium. Why'd you decide on the small? Was the M's top tube height (31.4") uncomfortable?
    I'm 5'8", 30" pants inseam, don't remember cycling inseam, Medium, right out of the box.

  75. #3675
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm 5'11" with 33" pants inseam and comfortably ride a medium.
    I'm almost the same measurements as Vik and ride a medium. I'm glad I didn't go with a different size.

  76. #3676
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ___Nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    I have almost the exact same measurements. I'm also torn between the small and medium. Why'd you decide on the small? Was the M's top tube height (31.4") uncomfortable?
    I went with the small because I wanted the shorter top tube length. Also, I am only 120lb so I felt a small would feel more nimble and handle better for me. Glad I went with this size. My only complaint is the lack of space for a decent sized frame bag.

  77. #3677
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,494
    Quite torn on the new Krampus. I'd been planning on getting a Woodsmoke next year, but the geometry changes to the Krampus have me second guessing that. I think I'd rather have a steel frame (always been a steel guy,) BSA BB, and Surly vibe (this would be my 4th Surly.)
    I demo'ed a large Woodsmoke, and currently ride a medium Advocate Hayduke. I'm leaning towards a large Krampus with a 50mm stem.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  78. #3678
    Ride On
    Reputation: geraldooka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    517
    Sub 5'8" 31" inseam ride a medium. Would buy another medium if I had to do it again. For trail riding the extra room to move around is welcome and for bike packing I'd have an hbar bend on which shortens the reach for comfortable seated pedalling.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael

    Ride on!

  79. #3679
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    325
    thanks folks. I do plan on bikepacking, so I think I'll go with a medium. Seems like there are more bosses, more frame bag volume, and its easier to run a saddle bag. I'll just have to confirm that the weight distribution is not too goofy on a M.

  80. #3680
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ___Nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    15
    Threw some Ardent 2.4s on to see how the Krampus handles in "normal 29r" mode. Digging the look of the sidewalls.

    Surly Krampus-img_4671.jpg

  81. #3681
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    76
    Im running Onza Ibex 2.4sSurly Krampus-krampus-ibex.jpgRuns pretty well with the small rubber.
    Last edited by fartymarty; 10-23-2016 at 10:11 AM.

  82. #3682
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Afun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Quite torn on the new Krampus. I'd been planning on getting a Woodsmoke next year, but the geometry changes to the Krampus have me second guessing that. I think I'd rather have a steel frame (always been a steel guy,) BSA BB, and Surly vibe (this would be my 4th Surly.)
    I demo'ed a large Woodsmoke, and currently ride a medium Advocate Hayduke. I'm leaning towards a large Krampus with a 50mm stem.

    Los
    How tall and what is your Inseam? Was the Medium woodsmoke too big or too small?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

  83. #3683
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    How tall and what is your Inseam? Was the Medium woodsmoke too big or too small?
    5'11", around 32" actual inseam.
    demo'ed a large, and surprisingly it felt pretty good.
    Looking at the geometry chart, I'm not sure I have enough standover for a large Krampus.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  84. #3684
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    76
    I had the same issue when I bought my frame. I am 6'1" with a 35" inseam (bare feet). The XL has a nice long ETT length but the stand over was too high. I ended up going with a L which is fine for stand over but probably an inch shorter than I would have liked on the ETT.

  85. #3685
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,494
    I guess I should be fine with the medium, I just liked the longer TT of the large Woodsmoke I demo'ed. A medium Krampus will be almost identical to my Hayduke, which I use a 70mm stem on.
    In addition to the longer TT, I was also hoping for that additional water bottle mount on the seat tube.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  86. #3686
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I guess I should be fine with the medium, I just liked the longer TT of the large Woodsmoke I demo'ed. A medium Krampus will be almost identical to my Hayduke, which I use a 70mm stem on.
    In addition to the longer TT, I was also hoping for that additional water bottle mount on the seat tube.

    Los
    If you like the WS better get it. You can armour up a carbon frame to take abuse quite well with protective tape.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  87. #3687
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,494
    Yeah, I'm on the fence. I've never actually owned a carbon frame, always leaned more towards steel. The BSA BB has me looking more towards the Krampus as well. Le sigh...
    Either way, it's going to be a while- both are available in the Spring, and I'm healing from serious facial and head trauma from a hit & run commuting home from the shop 4 weeks ago.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  88. #3688
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Yeah, I'm on the fence. I've never actually owned a carbon frame, always leaned more towards steel. The BSA BB has me looking more towards the Krampus as well. Le sigh...
    I love my Krampus, but I also have 3yrs on a 6" travel carbon FS enduro rig with carbon cranks, carbon bars and carbon rims. I've beat that bike hard on rocks at home in BC and in the UT and AZ deserts with zero damage or hassles.

    It also has a PF92 BB. I'm still on the original one and it's been silent and trouble free.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  89. #3689
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I love my Krampus, but I also have 3yrs on a 6" travel carbon FS enduro rig with carbon cranks, carbon bars and carbon rims. I've beat that bike hard on rocks at home in BC and in the UT and AZ deserts with zero damage or hassles.

    It also has a PF92 BB. I'm still on the original one and it's been silent and trouble free.
    Good points. I've wrenched on bikes professionally for 25 years, and the number of manufacturer responsible carbon failures has dropped significantly in that time. And the Wheels Mfg. threaded BB92 on my Hayduke has been completely creak-free.
    It's just, well, weird to think of me on cabron fiber!
    Wioth all the down time i'm experiencing, I'm overthinking stuff. Hell, I'll prolly just make a spreadsheet to obsess over geometry numbers- then I can truly belong to MTBR!

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  90. #3690
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Afun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I guess I should be fine with the medium, I just liked the longer TT of the large Woodsmoke I demo'ed. A medium Krampus will be almost identical to my Hayduke, which I use a 70mm stem on.
    In addition to the longer TT, I was also hoping for that additional water bottle mount on the seat tube.

    Los
    Its a bit tiring trying to figure out what's the best size bike without having a demo

    QBP has to do a better job incentivizing the bike shops so they could floor their product.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

  91. #3691
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    Its a bit tiring trying to figure out what's the best size bike without having a demo

    QBP has to do a better job incentivizing the bike shops so they could floor their product.
    That's a big ask. We have a lot of risk involved when stocking bikes, especially somewhat niche products. Essentially, we're paying interest on bikes that sit there for more than about 90 days, so we tend to fill floor slots with bikes that we know will move. It's a bit of a conundrum- we see that if we have more plus bikes for people to test ride, more will be sold. But for the folks writing the checks, it's a risk.
    Increased numbers of demos helps, but then manufacturers/distributors are footing the bill, which has to be made up for somewhere.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  92. #3692
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    Its a bit tiring trying to figure out what's the best size bike without having a demo
    Just a note about sizing-- if you happen to be 5'17" or taller sizing is easy. First step cross off about 3/4 the bikes you might have wanted because even the XL is too small. Then find the Surly you want, buy a stack of spacers, and instruct your trusted mechanic to leave the steerer comically long. Never once during the process should even consider the possibility of a demo. Bingo! Sizing done.

  93. #3693
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Afun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    That's a big ask. We have a lot of risk involved when stocking bikes, especially somewhat niche products. Essentially, we're paying interest on bikes that sit there for more than about 90 days, so we tend to fill floor slots with bikes that we know will move. It's a bit of a conundrum- we see that if we have more plus bikes for people to test ride, more will be sold. But for the folks writing the checks, it's a risk.
    Increased numbers of demos helps, but then manufacturers/distributors are footing the bill, which has to be made up for somewhere.

    Los
    I am not asking the bike shop to foot the bill. I am asking the manufacturer to help. Surly, Salsa, Foundry, Heller don't have to be a rare product. They have to be made available to the public. I'm not asking a Trek dealer to carry these products...because if you sell Trek you sell Treks.

    If you carry this brand they should help floor the product. I think QBP falls short here.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

  94. #3694
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    In sizing discussion, Im 5'11 with disproportionately long legs and having trouble setting saddle back enough on medium Krampus. Already use 30mm setback seat post and saddle is still almost all the way back on rails. Becomes a problem with bending saddle rails and legs rubbing saddle bags when touring. Thinking of going large frame if anyone has one for sale or wants to trade for medium. Only had it a few months still in new condition.

  95. #3695
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanmac View Post
    In sizing discussion, Im 5'11 with disproportionately long legs and having trouble setting saddle back enough on medium Krampus. Already use 30mm setback seat post and saddle is still almost all the way back on rails. Becomes a problem with bending saddle rails and legs rubbing saddle bags when touring. Thinking of going large frame if anyone has one for sale or wants to trade for medium. Only had it a few months still in new condition.
    You should set the saddle position relative to the BB. Going to a larger size won't change that in terms of getting the saddle further behind the BB.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  96. #3696
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    So are you suggesting going from small to x large frame has same aft saddle position relative to BB? I figured with a longer seat tube on a constant rearward angle would put saddle farther behind BB. But again, that being said, Im built weird and have been professionally fit a few times and have saddles slammed back on all my bikes...

  97. #3697
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,316
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanmac View Post
    So are you suggesting going from small to x large frame has same aft saddle position relative to BB? I figured with a longer seat tube on a constant rearward angle would put saddle farther behind BB. But again, that being said, Im built weird and have been professionally fit a few times and have saddles slammed back on all my bikes...
    The back end of all sizes are the same. What changes is how far out front the headtube is. Typically as you go up in frame size the rider's legs are longer and the saddle is higher which results in the saddle being further behind the BB.

    But if the same rider just moves up in frame sizes the saddle height doesn't change nor does the position move further rearward. The seat tube may be longer as you go up in sizes, but you'll then have less seatpost exposed and the total length will not change.

    If you need the saddle further behind the BB and you want to ride a Krampus you may need a custom seatpost with extra seatback.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  98. #3698
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    10
    ahhh, makes sense. THanks for the info...

  99. #3699
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    58
    I've decided to buy a manitou magnum for my krampus. I read the thread on krampus with front suspension. Trying to decide between 100 and 120 mm. Leaning 120 but don't wanna change geometry too much. Open to suggestions...

  100. #3700
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by jujuyak View Post
    I've decided to buy a manitou magnum for my krampus. I read the thread on krampus with front suspension. Trying to decide between 100 and 120 mm. Leaning 120 but don't wanna change geometry too much. Open to suggestions...
    I'm running a Float 34 100mm and haven't looked back, I don't know that I've ever said to myself "damn, I wish I had an extra 20mm of travel" which probably means something because I ride bumpy, rocky ass Front Range trails a few days a week. I've never bottomed the fork out either, only *really* using about 85-90mm of travel wide open.

    The geometry at 100mm seems unchanged for me, though I'm sure someone will chime in and say the Krampus is 120mm corrected, haha!

Members who have read this thread: 542

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •